Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Acura RL

Comments

• prophet2prophet2 Posts: 372
    I guess that the "firmer" ride was developed in response to those who complained that the original RL was not "sporty" enough and the ride was too soft. I also have a '96 RL and confirm that the ride is more "luxurious" and smoother than that of the Accord EX. So, I'll never understand the whining about the Accord being 1/2 the price of the RL - these two cars were not developed for the same market.
  • In order to please everyone, Acura should include "adaptive suspension" so that each can adjust it to their own preference. But I guess, even then, some people will still complain that the adaptive suspension adds to the car's weight and price! :-) LOL
  • habitat1habitat1 Posts: 4,282
    And that someone complaining about weight and complexity might be me! :-).

Seriously, there was an interesting article in the Friday edition of the Washington Post, discussing the new crop of AWD sedans out there, including the RL. While they did taut some AWD performance advantages (911 Turbo), they also noted that the supposed handling advantages in everyday sedans come at the significant expense of added weight, engineering complexity and potential future maintenance and repair issues. The question of the long term value of AWD, except in very specific circumstances, was left to the reader to figure out.

Also, with the "sport" vs. "luxury" preferences expressed here in this forum, my vote would be for Acura to have a standard RL geared towards luxury, with an optional sport package. This is the highly successful formula that BMW has offered on it's 5-series. For example, the idea that one set of wheels and tires is going to please everyone is just plain wrong. The RL utilizes relatively low profile, relatively high performance tires that are neither as pothole and bump friendly as BMW's standard 5-series (or, apparantly, as the old RL), nor as performance oriented as BMW's sport package tires.

I sincerely appreciate Acura's no-nonsense approach to limiting options, as it relates to luxury items. But, given that they have two fairly significantly different versions of the TL in the "luxury" oriented automatic and "performance" oriented 6-speed, perhaps they need to consider the same with the RL. I that way the luxury minded buyers won't be complaining about a harsh ride and I could have something other than a 5-series sport to chose from in the $50k price range.
  • larry6larry6 Posts: 26
    I tried locating online the article you referred to in the Washington Post but I was unsuccessful. If possible, could you provide the name of the author of the article or other information. Thanks.
  • jjacurajjacura Posts: 808
    When we test drove the RL my wife was first to comment on the ride and I (Driven by the need to have her approval, because I wanted the car regardless) found a way to get her refocused on other things about the car. But yes, she was "right on". It is a firmer ride and we are adjusting to it. After buying the car I would change a lane or take a corner and she at first had made curious comments that ended in question marks that begged for my response. (Most intuitive wives have an uncanny ability to nudge the truth out of you without you knowing totally what hit you. She is brilliant at it and I have to admit it's a quality I like about her. (Have a few friends that unfortunately have to deal with aggressive wives... :-).... Long story short, we are both much more tuned into the car now and used to it. We like the responsiveness of this vehicle.
  • As stated earlier, my wife's response to the RL was atypical; she smiled broadly when she saw the color and her smile broadened when she took the wheel. Never before had she evinced the same interest in any of our cars. However, she hadn't commented upon the firmer ride, and looking for confirmation of my perception, I persisted in mentioning the firmness, and she continued to listen but not comment, which I understood to be
    her disinterest in any negative comments!! :-)

I drove for an hour this morning and am slowly losing my interest in the harshness. To digress for a moment: Is there any means of making the car chirp from a distance when the remote is activated? It's so much easier to locate when that friendly chirp sounds. I miss that very much.
    jj, are you still hearing that sound from the exhaust?
  • I have had my RL for three weeks now and will tell you that it is a car that "grows" on you more every day. I have gotten used to the firmer ride, but it was never a major problem for me. This car hugs the road like a dream and is just so much fun to drive!!

You will find your self loving your new RL even more as you drive it longer:)

Lynnminny
    Sure AcuraPhile...just hit the lock button on your remote and it will chirp for you...comes in handy especially this time of the year in mall parking lots when you are trying to remember exactly where the car is. But I will tell you...I have been parking further away in "not so busy areas" with this beauty. Drop off the wife close to the entrance then seek a remote area away from the madness....and meet her later at Barnes and Noble where I catch up on some reading. Noticed that the latest issue of Motor Trend has the RL in the running for Car of the Year.
    Yep...still hear that suttle, mellow sound and I rather enjoy it HMMMMM. I'll try to get a more definate fix on it today.
  • hendjazhendjaz Posts: 155
    I finally saw and read yesterday the new C&D for January 05 that robertsmx mentioned a few days ago. The RL is named best in its class, luxury sedan I believe, and named as one of the 10 best cars for the year by C&D.

Regarding the RL suspension, it is a subjective assessment by all of us but I would not characterize the ride as "harsh" at all but rather "more firm than average" in order to have the impressive handling and cornering capabilities it has. This was an important factor for me in buying the RL back in October. If it had an "average" suspension I would not have bought it and probably retained my BMW 530 instead.
  • Hi,

I'm shopping both the '05 RL and the '05 A6 3.2. The Acura dealer that I've been dealing with hasn't been able to give me quotes on the scheduled maintenance costs of the RL, besides "around $30" for an oil change. Has anyone investigated this? If so, any information would be appreciated. I'm leaning towards the RL due to comfort, quality, technology, etc., but the lease numbers and free scheduled maintenance on the A6 are keeping me interested...

Just a side note, the Acura dealer gave me an overnight extended test drive of the RL which really gave me time to get familiar with the car and find out what I like/don't like. The Audi dealers I have spoken with have been unwilling to do this so far due to their "low inventory". That excuse in itself is making me lean towards Acura :)

Thanks,
    Lawrence
  • robertsmxrobertsmx Posts: 5,525
    The RL utilizes relatively low profile, relatively high performance tires that are neither as pothole and bump friendly as BMW's standard 5-series

Not really. RL uses P245/50/R17 tires which translates to having a sidewall height of 4.8 inch (typical of non-sport tires). BMW 530i, OTOH, gets P225/50/R17 which is a low profile rubber (this is, before moving to sport package which gets you P245/40/R18 tire).

A-Spec package may move to P245/40/R18 tires with performance rubber, however. But stock tires are “average profiled” with all-season rubber.
  • cove148cove148 Posts: 117
    Guess I have become a troll on the forum, enjoy the information on the cars I am interested in.
    From the assortment of comment and talking to owners, I have two concerns on any present day cars.
    1. My cell phone, with a speaker and voice command has worked fine for me. Blue tooth phones seem to cause a lot of problems for the resulting rewards and I would pass on this.
    2. Nav's- Being one of those anal individuals I have to have it right if I am going to own it. It's expensive & big bucks to repair. What can't I get off of MapQuest and my compass? I have never been lost. The technology is certain to change within 5 years or less. Would I have a great car with a totally out of date Nav? Look at all the late 90's BMW's & Mercedes with built in Analog phones all eye sores. There was a post from a guy the other day who was so happy to get updated software, now it shows the two streets (on his way home) that was not shown before, he was a happy man. This would probably be me, driving myself nuts.
    My two cents worth.
    Five years ago, Acura RL’s navigation system/dash used to look like this:

I would say that it will still look “current” in many cars. Face it, the class of cars you’re looking at, or talking about have to have excesses, otherwise they wouldn’t be luxury cars.
  • Sat nav: seemed like a toy; on my fourth car with it; use it weekly -- even in my home town. Tis a toy no more -- tis a safety and convenience device of the highest function and caliber.

Hmm, take my power seats, even take my dual zone climate control (leaving me the A/C and heater, of course); heck, take my power trunk release and automatic-lock power locks (leaving me with manual power locks, if you get my drift). Take my cassette deck (leave my CD changer, tho) -- just pleeeeeeeze don't take my sat nav.

What once were vices are now virtues! Add Acura Real Time Traffic to the mix and . . . well you get the picture.

Q: What would happen if Pheobe Snow married one of the Doobie Brothers?

A: She'd be named Phoebe Doobie of course.

I am REALLY getting old. . .
  • >>2. Nav's- Being one of those anal individuals I have to have it right if I am going to own it. It's expensive & big bucks to repair. What can't I get off of MapQuest and my compass? I have never been lost. The technology is certain to change within 5 years or less. Would I have a great car with a totally out of date Nav? Look at all the late 90's BMW's & Mercedes with built in Analog phones all eye sores. There was a post from a guy the other day who was so happy to get updated software, now it shows the two streets (on his way home) that was not shown before, he was a happy man. This would probably be me, driving myself nuts.
    My two cents worth.

Nav's aren't for everyone - if you rarely drive outside totally familiar areas, have an excellent sense of direction, etc. It's wonderful that you've never been lost and that Mapquest works so well for you. As for me, I would never buy a car without one. It's not just a matter of getting lost, or even using Mapquest. Three times since I bought my new RL I've been in cities with which I was not familiar. With my nav I could get around with total confidence. I had no access to Mapquest while gone, and one city, Pittsburgh, is so difficult to get around in that I couldn't have done it without my nav.

As far as worrying about the nav getting out of date, it's not really a big problem. I had my 99 RL, with nav for 5 1/2 years. I only had a couple of occasions where a new street wasn't included. I updated it once in the 5 1/2 years, at a cost of $60, and was good to go. The technology was perfectly adequate, though the 05 RL is far superior. And the nav on the 99 was never an eyesore.

I've known several individuals who swore they would never use a nav system, but now that they have one, would never be without one. But, each to his/her own. Just my two cents worth.
    "Regarding the RL suspension, it is a subjective assessment by all of us but I would not characterize the ride as "harsh" at all but rather "more firm than average" in order to have the impressive handling and cornering capabilities it has. This was an important factor for me in buying the RL back in October. If it had an "average" suspension I would not have bought it and probably retained my BMW 530 instead."

Good assessment HENDJAZ. Thanks
    "I am REALLY getting old. . . "

Chuckle....Mark, I used to listen to a talk jock out of Chicago years ago ...last name of Mathews... brilliant mind ...he did a great regular feature as a character named Jim Shorts who did sports casts and his traffic gal was called "Lane Closure". We've come a long way since "Lane Closure" kept everyone informed about traffic conditions. There will come a day in the big cities when Nav and XM Live Traffic and Weather will become regular instruments in most vehicles. Oh, and one regular comment from Kevin Mathews character Jim (Gym) Shorts when referring to age was... you're not getting older...you're getting longer! (Followed by his ogre-ish laugh NNNN...yuk,,yuk yuk!!!)
    RobertsMX, Could you please take us through the steps on how you posted that graphic. I would very much appreciate it. Thanks. JJ (I have an iMac)
  • cericceric Posts: 1,093
    jjacura,
    Use your right mouse to bring up pop-up menu,
    Assuming you're using IE...
    Go to post #5166
    Click on "View Source"
    Use "Find" under "Edit" menu
    Type in "Five years ago", click "Find Next"
    You will see how to post a picture...the line with "img src=....". Just follow that syntax next time you do it.

Just a word of caution, the HOST does not like poeple posting big pictures here. 8-)
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    I strongly suggest that you edit your email address out of that post to prevent the spam bots from harvesting it. Instead, you can make it public in your profile. This will allow only logged-in members to see it.

If you don't see this message in time to edit yours, send me an email and I'll delete it if you like.
    Using an &#147;img src=http-address-here&#148; (enclosed within < and >)
    Thanks Ceric and Robertsmx...I'm just not sure how to get a photo file from my computer into that syntax?
    If your photo is on hard drive, you will have to load it to an online website like Sony's www.imagestation.com or Kodak's www.ofoto.com.

And then provide a link to the pictures (once the pictures are online, open your album, right click on the picture, select properties and get the URL and put it in the img tag with src=URL.
  • I suspect that ANY electronics in a modern automobile are not inexpensive to repair or replace. I have not seen any posts from anyone on any board, ever, pertaining to a navigation system repair -- leading me to the almost certainly inaccurate conclusion that nav systems don't ever break.

I've had CD changers need replacing (Jeep); I have had my heat and ac controls go south (Cordoba aka Chrysler); I have had my power actuated steering column go south on two different Audis (1997 & 2001). I am certain nav systems do break -- but the "expensive to maintain and or repair" remark does not track with my personal or observed experiences.

FWIW. And, BTW, have you ever tried to enter information into MAPQUEST while driving for Pete's sake? It's an accident waiting to happen and, in my case, the extension cord isn't long enough.

I crack myself up.
  • I had traded in a 99 TL with Nav for my 05 RL and never had a single problem with the Nav. It never felt old or "tired" looking in it's older years. I remember when I test drove the BMW 5 series when I was shopping for my 05 RL, I couldn't believe how convoluted the BMW iDrive interface was. My 1999 Nav unit was still "light years" easier to use and as it appeared to me, seemed to be better than BMW's most current nav system. Acura, by far, has the best Nav units on the market. I think Lexus comes in a close second.

The friend I sold my TL to says that the unit (not the screen, but the computer that resides in the trunk) in the 1999 TL can be swapped out for any model's unit up to 2003. And you can find places on the Internet selling them between $300 and $500. Point being, it's possible these Nav Units can be easily replaced and possibly even cheaper than paying Acura to repair it.
    BINGO....thats the missing link...it has to come from a URL. I use Shutterfly.com and have about 80 albums stored there. Thanks Roberts
  • please fix this for me thank you
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,890
    I just happened to see your message, so I took care of it.
    I occasionally like to stop by this discussion and see how all ofyou knowledgeable (and polite!) RL enthusiasts are doing :)

kirstie_h
    Roving Host & Future Vehicles Host

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• thank you Happy Holidays
  • cericceric Posts: 1,093
    Hi, Mark,
    The navi-systems do break. My co-worker's navi-system on his '03 Lexus RX300 failed weeks ago. The whole unit was replaced under warranty. Talk about Lexus's bullet-proof reliability...