Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Acura RL

Comments

• rayainswrayainsw Posts: 2,477
    Anyone heard when US pricing is expected to be released?
    - Ray
    Wondering about what that Canadian MSRP might bode . . .
  • robertsmxrobertsmx Posts: 5,525
    I prefer black/dark blue tones. But the fact is, silver (or shades of) is the best selling color in the USA.
  • IBM Delivers New, World-Class In-Car Speech Recognition System for Navigation in 2005 Honda Cars

(From: Auto-Tech 2004)

SOMERS, N.Y.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Sept. 1, 2004--

IBM's Breakthrough Embedded ViaVoice(R) Technology Recognizes Street Names; Solution Bundled with Real-Time Navigation and Zagat Survey

IBM(R), the world leader in information technology innovation, today announced that it has jointly developed with Honda Motor Company a unique, hands-free and natural-sounding in-vehicle speech-recognition system - the industry's leading-edge navigation application. Honda will offer the system as standard equipment on the 2005 Acura RL and as options on both the 2005 Acura MDX and 2005 Honda Odyssey in the United States and Canada beginning this month.

Using IBM Embedded ViaVoice software, Honda is the first car manufacturer to equip automobiles with in-car navigation systems using advanced speech recognition and text-to-speech capabilities that can identify spoken street and city names that exist across the entire continental United States. This allows drivers to speak all street addresses represented in the US navigation system database and receive turn-by-turn voice guidance to their destinations. The breakthrough voice-recognition system can also enable enhanced ease-of-use by eliminating the need for drivers to take their hands off the wheel or eyes off the road, since no typing on touch screens or manual dialing is required.

To create this advanced, natural-sounding text-to-speech system, IBM and Honda research-and-development teams digitally processed hundreds of hours of speech recordings previously found in earlier-model Honda systems. They also produced hundreds of additional recordings to design a high-quality, customized, natural-sounding text-to-speech voice, digitally segmenting speech and intonations that can allow vehicles to communicate naturally with their drivers. The result: a totally new type of speech synthesis that can capture the characteristics of the human voice. In addition to the natural-sounding text-to-speech, the Honda Odyssey, the Acura RL and the Acura MDX now feature more than 700 commands and more than 1.7 million street and city names that are accessible by voice.

Another unique system feature is nationwide dining information from Zagat's Survey, which provides drivers and their passengers the ability to request the names of, and directions to, nearby restaurants and also listen to or view restaurant reviews.

Besides its advanced speech recognition capabilities, the 2005 Acura RL comes equipped with the first real-time traffic navigation system in the United States, which integrates real-time traffic data into the navigation display. Other integrated features include:

-- AcuraLink, which communicates information between dealers and drivers, and

-- HandsFreeLink, which uses BlueTooth technology to synchronize personal cell-phone data within the car environment; this provides drivers hands-free, speech-enabled dialing on phones with built-in BlueTooth capability.

IBM's voice-recognition technology is integrated into the car's audio system so that driving instructions can be heard over the speakers. Alongside its navigation functions, the system also provides command-and-control capabilities for audio, DVD entertainment system (Odyssey) and climate control functions.

Honda and IBM, using IBM Embedded ViaVoice, have deployed leading-edge voice-enabled telematics solutions since 2003. User satisfaction with the Voice Recognition-enabled systems has been outstanding due to Honda's engineering ability and the strength of IBM Embedded ViaVoice's speech technology and automotive telematics solutions.

The new Honda navigation system is the latest in a broad portfolio of in-vehicle solutions that combine IBM's pervasive computing technology and telematics know-how. Software and electronics comprise a rapidly growing percentage of innovation and differentiation in cars today. IBM's integrated, open-standards-based software and telematics solutions are increasingly allowing data to benefit customers virtually wherever they are, helping to create entirely new industry models.

"Drivers can now fully access the majority of the resources inside the navigation system with voice input" said Tom Elliott, executive vice president of American Honda Motor Co., Inc. "As in-car navigation systems evolve and become more commonplace in today's vehicles, our extensive voice-recognition features give Honda and Acura products a distinct competitive advantage."
  • Thanks for the link. That's exactly what I was hoping for, but I'd given up on it being that sophisticated.
  • Will the American version (RL) be identical to the Legend (Japanese version)? I assume it will be -- minus the rear badge.

From the side, the car looks like a glorified Accord. It seems to me that it's the Honda Accord that is back. Hard to believe that after all these years this was the best that Acura could come up with for the "new" RL.

Clearly, most of what is new and exciting is INSIDE the car, and not on the outside. But hey, that's just my opinion .. your mileage may vary.
  • proeproe Posts: 157
    I have a similar feeling couple days ago when I went to the interactive showroom at acura's web site.
    Strange speaking, I still do know how my accord v6 looks like exactly after 3 years. I guess all I do is get into the car and drive it and get out of the car and the process repeats countless times. And, all I pay attention to is really the inside of the car.
  • l943973l943973 Posts: 197
    The IBM voice software is great even for current 04 TL and 04 MDX owners since these models already suppose voice commands. They can just upgrade their DVDs in the future and get the new IBM voice software. My only concern is that the upgrade will probably be more expensive to cover IBM license issues.
  • proeproe Posts: 157
    robertsmx,
       Are you a tuner or some sort? You know quite a bit about car design.
       Any good book to learn more about car design?

Thank you very much,
    Thanks. But no. Its been a decade since I dealt with anything mechanical at engineering level.

I've learnt much of the things by observation and participating in these forums though. I'm sure you have and will, as well.
  • I think it is pretty much the same except for one difference that I know of. The JDM version will have a new sensor that detects pedestrians since in japan some 30% of accidents occur with pedestrians. I don't think this feature will make into our RL.
  • I currently own a 2004 TL. The one thing I've noticed while owning this car is that people automatically pay respect to it when I tell them I drive a new TL. Now, the old TL never really got that respect because it was slightly vanilla. Finally, Acura comes out with what I've been waiting for them to do, a car that not only competes with the best, but leaves them in its dust. Now, the new RL was supposed to be the next big thing from Acura. I've been checking websites for close to 3 years now, hoping to get a glimpse of it. After seeing it, I wished Acura would take another 3 years and figure out that they are a building a premier luxury car, not something that we would see at a Mercury dealership. Although I am a huge huge fan of Acura I'm so disappointed in their work on the RL. I finally felt that people were starting to respect the Acura name, the TSX and the TL and even the MDX have set a pretty solid standard, I just wished the RL could follow. Why does it seem that every other luxury car company (perhaps besides BMW) seems to be on the right page. As we speak, Lexus is coming out w/ two new LS class cars, one to compete w/ the S-Class Mercedes, and one to compete with the E-Class and alike. With this car, I was atleast hoping to take out the new M from Infinite, but by the looks of it, the new RL will fall short on the attractive meter. If Acura is lost, tell them to enter some chatrooms and here the public's opinion. If people could see through a car's sheet metal into the inside, Acura would be at the tops, but fortunately LOOKS DO MATTER. Maybe one day, Acura will realize that the more respect they earn as a company, the more their cars will sell. The TL has finally earned that respect, when will the RL?
  • There is a distinct difference in the driving dynamics between my '96 RL and the '02 Accord EX leather V-6. Despite the heavier weight and a mere 10-hp advantage, the RL seems smoother and more powerful in the lower RPM range than the Accord, as well as giving a better ride. The Accord does have its advantages, though: a fold-down rear seat back, an in-dash 6-CD changer, and better gas mileage.

I've always considered the Legend/RL to be a glorified Accord - a little roomier and more plush. But, the Accord has always been a great standard to other manufacturers to emulate.
  • Reviews from Temple of VTEC ont he new RL on a race course and on the streets have said amazingly positive things about the SH AWD system. Definitely check it out.
    In the Japanese market, the Legend will get all the frills that its lesser cousins (Accord and Inspire) do. This would include intelligent cruise control, lane-keep assist, Nightvision, CMS/E-pretensioner etc.

For the American market, either those frills would add to the cost, or Honda doesn’t think American buyers want it until the MMC (model refresh) couple of years down the road. ;-)

But then, we’re probably talking excesses. The new RL already has a load of them but in a non-traditional way.
  • varmintvarmint Posts: 6,326
    "Varmint, mass of wheel will not play a role in affecting the overall gearing (hence thrust or the max speed in each gear). It will, however, contribute towards drag/rolling resistance and weight of the vehicle, besides handling."

Yeah, I know mass isn't a factor in the gearing. But as a component in resistance, I thought it might degrade thrust much like the weight of the vehicle does in your equation.

Silly factoid for the day...

Using that formula a CR-V LX (5 speed manual) with AWD will pull .61 g's in first gear. Which is about the same thrust as the TL quoted earlier.
    Weight of the wheel gets included in the total weight of the vehicle, so it becomes a part of it when computing thrust.

Yep. You're right about the CR-V. Honda was very aggressive with the first gear ratio in the CR-V.
  • ksomanksoman Posts: 590
    When I saw the RL at the NY Auto show, the car was in a lighter champaigne/silverish color... and it really did not enamour me.

After seeing the pictures, I think it looks completely stunning from front and back (not profile) in DARK colors.

I think it looks completely ugly in light colors, front, back or profile.

wow, damn....

ksso