Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Acura RL

Comments

• rayainswrayainsw Posts: 2,496
    "In case of RL, besides the axle ratio (4.600) and gear ratio 0.48:1, there is another reduction of 1.238:1 which pushes the fifth gear overall drive ratio to about 2.75:1. "

Aha.

Fascinating.

Thanks,
    - Ray
    Now very interested in experiencing what this particular acceleration and highway MPG compromise will feel lie - on the road . . .
  • It may be possible to replace the chip to get more HP, but I wouldn't do it until after your warranty expires.

Also, 300HP might be the max (in any case it's pretty close to the max) on a 3.5L engine. It's not like the 3.5L 260HP G35, where you KNEW there were more horses in that engine.
  • It is unlikely that a chip on a non-turbo-charged engine will make much difference.

The HP and torque claims made by chip makers ARE real -- but substantial gains are made only to turbo-charged engines. The impact on such engines is often massive increases in torque.

For a normally aspirated engine such as the Acura's, the most significant steps that can be taken (for "sane" money) would include modifications that will improve the breathing of the engine: new exhaust system, air filter and the engine management chip combined might be good for about a 5% bump in "power" -- realize, too, that this bump in torque MAY take place at somewhat higher RPM's than the factory set up.

This may translate less into off the line capabilities and more to highway urge.

At the risk of suggesting something in-sane, I would tell you that a fairly big bang for perhaps double the cost of new pipes, would be a modest boost supercharger (someone, somewhere will probably make one or one already is out there that can be relatively easily adapted).

The performance of the new RL hardly seems to be a weakness -- even though the relatively low torque at a relatively high RPM would seem to point to an area that could be strengthened somewhat. But this engine is probably fairly conservatively tuned and perhaps will be tweaked in subsequent years to improve both the numbers and the associated performance.

This is darn near a first, the car isn't even out and folks want to tweak it. Oh well, more power to you (pun intended).
  • l943973l943973 Posts: 197
    From Canadian Driver - "Toronto, Ontario - Acura Canada announced the price for its all-new Acura RL performance-luxury sedan. The MSRP (Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price) will be $69,500, up from $55,800 for the 2004 3.5RL model."

Thats about a 25% increase. Does this mean that the new US RL will be around $56,800. That is just way too high.
  • >>From Canadian Driver - "Toronto, Ontario - Acura Canada announced the price for its all-new Acura RL performance-luxury sedan. The MSRP (Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price) will be $69,500, up from $55,800 for the 2004 3.5RL model."

>>Thats about a 25% increase. Does this mean that the new US RL will be around $56,800. That is just way too high.

Actually, at current conversion rates, $69,500 Canadian, translates to $53,983 USD. However, that's still too high, in my opinion, even though I really like the new RL.
  • varmintvarmint Posts: 6,326
    You're right. I wonder if the Canadian RL did not have standard NAV as the US model does. I'm assuming it remains standard on the new model.

Nebraskaguy - We can't do a straight conversion with Canadian currency in the car market. Different markets lead to different prices. US CR-V owners hate the fact that Canadians get the good stuff long before we do. But (in the mass market arena), Honda has to offer extras to compete.
  • >>Nebraskaguy - We can't do a straight conversion with Canadian currency in the car market. Different markets lead to different prices. US CR-V owners hate the fact that Canadians get the good stuff long before we do. But (in the mass market arena), Honda has to offer extras to compete.

I realize that. However, it appeared that was what the original poster was trying to do and that is what I was responding to.
  • There are a few differences between the standard RL offered in Canada and the U. S.
    Canadian cars include headlight washers as well as ventilated front seats.
    U. S. cars include XM Radio with the new traffic feature and perhaps Onstar.
    This will differentiate to a small degree the pricing difference.
  • proeproe Posts: 157
    The estimate price from C/D is $48,000, which makes more sense than the straight currency conversion.
  • The "official" (as in it has been quoted) Acura statment pertaining to the new RL is that it will "come in substantially under $50,000 and that is with 'all the toys' since there are, ostensibly no options."

The issue remains, however, if $48,000 is "substantially" under $50K. Without regard to the debate of the meaning of the word in that context, an MSRP of $48K seems appropriate -- unless, as C/D mentions, this is expecting the car to be "instantly" transformed (by virture of this new model) from the mid-premium class to the premium class.

It is a tough call -- this car, if it is indeed $48K seems to be "reasonable." But, hey, I'm the guy that thought the Passat W8 for around $38K was also reasonable -- and the market and the lack of marketing conspired to prove me wrong.

The RL -- which has certainly never been ill thought of -- may not be able to compete at $48K, perhaps it needs to be at $46,900 for "psychological reasons" until it proves itself to be worthy of being included in the high zoot club.

This is in 5 series and the A6's price range (even though based on what I've seen it would take at least $3 or $4K more from the A6 to approximate the RL) -- and for the past few years the RL has been a runner up in this class.

Anyway, for $48K MSRP, I, for one, am willing to suggest that while NOT "substantially" below $50 large, it is enough of a value to at least be considered alongside other "like class" cars.

That exec who said "substantially below" is probably wishing he would have not uttered the "s" word in that context.

We'll see.
  • Since the list price for my 99 RL was about $44,000, with navi, a $48,000 list price for the 05 seems pretty reasonable. Considering inflation and all the extra goodies on the 05, especially.
  • They do not mention the STS or the New 300 C or a Jaguar Type S
  • jjacurajjacura Posts: 808
    In a 2005 RL article by Fred Gregory....he was very impressed with the new
    (SH-AWD) system. He writes " It uses pseudo rear diff with two electromagnetic clutches that control torque distribution on the orders of a computer that monitors front and rear g-forces, yaws,steering input, rpm, throttle position, gear ratio, and individual wheel speeds. As you cruise along the system pumps 70 % of the power to the front wheels. But as conditions change, it can reverse the balance to the rear wheels, pretty standard 4 wheel drive stuff. What's different is that with SH-AWD is it's ability to apportion torque-side to side on the rear axle. IN FACT, the system can route as much as 100% of the rear axle's power to just one rear wheel if necessary. The torque-shifting function is tied into the vehicle's stability-control system and is designed to give the RL agile yet foolproof handling.
        All this power mongering is never apparent to the driver but it's effect is obvious. This we discovered in the course of running dozens of laps in several RL's around a tight little circuit at Summit Point Raceway in West Virginia."
        There is more in this article that I like but this particular information dispels the notion that the RL is a cumbersome road car as acknowledged by a buddy when I showed interest in buying it months ago. (Was wondering though if 18 inch tires and wheels would enhance or hinder the handling?) Anyone care to speculate?
  • pg48477pg48477 Posts: 309
    "We had the opportunity to drive the RL on a closed road course along with an Audi A6, a BMW 530i and a Mercedes-Benz E320. Granted, this course was set up by Acura, but the RL handled noticeably better than the others and the SH-AWD system worked seamlessly. While we still think the BMW's steering feels quicker and more responsive, overall the Acura RL was more precise and able to get around the course faster. Plus, the RL has an almost spooky ability to go exactly where the driver points it. "

This is a pat of a new review posted today on edmunds. Just want to say on thing, I have no read any review for the past ten years stating that any vehicle handled batter than BMW, in respective class. Still don't know if BMW had sport package or RL had 18" rims, but still impressive.
  • shotgunshotgun Posts: 184
    BMW's steering feels quicker and more responsive?!?!? This is, indeed, an oxymoronic statement - given that they go on to say "...overall the Acura RL was more precise and able to get around the course faster. Plus, the RL has an almost spooky ability to go exactly where the driver points it. " Sounds to me like we have some shell shocked BMW aficionados on our hands...
  • proeproe Posts: 157
    I think it has to do the course setup by Aura as it is mentioned in the First Drive.

I think the base price of $ 48,000 is still possible, but if Acura does come out A-Spec for RL as Acura has some kind of performance upgrade as I mentioned in another post, then the price would well be in $50,000 to $52,000 price range.

And, without a V8, I think the marketing target for Acura is to take on the V6 market only, which I think is not a such bad strategy as you do not want to broaden you target too much as you put so much technology into a brand new design. Also, if you look at the design philosophy of Lexus, it has had the reputation of "no fun to drive," yet their LS430 is the best in its class. I think Acura has been paying attention to that fact.

Again, if you want a "true" performance car, get a Lotus Elise, which hits 60 in 4.4s, and pulls 1.06g that is even better than Ferrari Enzo, and it costs around $40,000.

• Since the list price for my 99 RL was about $44,000, with navi, a $48,000 list price for the 05 seems pretty reasonable. Considering inflation and all the extra goodies on the 05, especially.
  • So has anyone heard of supercharging the new Acura 3.5? The previous model year for the TL had a few supercharging aftermarket options. A 450 horse supercharged SH-AWD RL would be the BOMB!!!
  • Doesn't Canada have a national GST tax (Good and Services Tax) of 7% which functions like a Value Added Tax (VAT)? If so, wouldn't 7% be "embedded" in the MSRP in the same way that European nations quote prices inclusive of VAT? If this is the case (OK, I'm guessing), the price for a 2005 RL at 69,500 Canadian dollars inclusive of GST would be 64,953 Canadian dollars exclusive of GST. At the current conversion rate of U$0.7702 per Canadian dollar (today's Wall Street Journal, page C11), the equivalent US MRSP would be approximately $50,000. Of course, then you would have to deduct the headlight washers and ventilated front seats that we poor unfortunates south of the border don't rate. I wonder if XM radio and OnStar really cost Acura anything significant since both transition to subscription services?
  • >Of course, then you would have to deduct the headlight washers and ventilated front seats that we poor unfortunates south of the border don't rate.<

Heated seats in Canada make sense to me, but ventilated seats up North in Canada, as opposed to down South here in the good old USA (Texas, Florida, California, etc) makes NO sense to me.