Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Acura RL

Comments

• patpat Posts: 10,421
    And he acknowledged the fact that he never drove the car - again, there is no need to make this personal. We all can make up our own minds about which opinions we find of value and which opinions we don't.

I wasn't talking only to you; others here need to hear this as well.

There is a difference between saying "I have driven the car and I totally disagree with you" and getting personal, sarcastic, etc.

Happy New Year to you too. Now let's move ON and stop talking about each other. Really.
  • Happy New Year to everybody!

Anyone had a good end-of-the-year deal on an RL? Do you think March/April would be better?
  • shawn, I had the EXACT same experience--to the "T". I also wrote it off and everything has been fine with this outstanding car.

Best of luck to you and all rl owners in the New Year!!!

Steve
  • Just for the record my rl did the same A F S light warning at 2500 and never did it again tech checked it out and there was nothing. also just pick my car up from service because they had to replace the dash. There was a hole underneath the covering at the two o"clock position as you look at the dash at the hump behind the steering wheel. It was kind of odd they're sending it to Acura to take it a part to find out what happened many theories but I will report back when or if they tell me. In the MID part the seat position program erased itself and they replaced the computer chip. Other than those few things the car is great.
  • The slight hesitation -- speaking as one who only knows the Bosch stability system, so this may NOT translate directly to the Acura system -- is part of the stability system's bag of tricks. The stability system can and does activate in concert with and singularly (without) the ABS system or brake application.

Again, I am not with absolute certainty suggesting that even this is the case, I am merely extrapolating from my own experiences with my car's version of an electronic stability program.

These systems can apply a brake, multiple brakes and/or cut power and/or shift power -- they can do these "tricks" regardless of the position of your foot on the brake pedal.

And, you are correct, sir, there may be an indicator of some kind informing you of the stability program's activation.

And even the best auto trans can have a "pause that refreshes." Your statement started my train of thought when you originally suggested you might be feeling the power shift from one wheel to another (as part of the AWD activation.)

I still maintain that the AWD's actions should be imperceptible.

HNY!
  • read about it on another forum site. it appears to work on all acura nav systems (RL, TL, MDX)
  • one more piece of navtraffic data for y'all. after the dealer pulled the battery cable to reset the system, nav traffic did not come back. however, after reading on another forum that the XM HIP.ECU needs some time to discharge its volatile memory, i pulled the radio fuse and left it out for several minutes.

lo and behold, the box came back on line (confirmed in the diagnostics) and nav traffic reappeared. on a cross country trip i also found out that the nav system wont display traffic info for a city unless you are within 200 miles of that city (i could see chicago traffic from peoria but not DC's until i got closer).

IMHO, we're dealing with a firmware problem here. i doubt that changing the box out is going to prove fruitful unless newer boxes have newer firmware. probably the same goes for my door lock problem (it comes and goes for long durations).

one other cold weather problem of note: the nav display remains extremely dim until it is warmed up by cabin temps. at 0-32 deg, the display was unreadable at startup and took several minutes to brighten.
  • jjacurajjacura Posts: 808
    "I still maintain that the AWD's actions should be imperceptible."

Test drivers for Road and Track (Jan 2004) stated that in everyday dry weather you won't notice SH AWD. They went on to say that it can be sensed, however, in an extreme situation, say, when the throttle of the car is flatfooted away from a stoplight and the car is turned sharply into a 90-degree corner. (This is what I like!).... Instead of the RL pushing wide as most all wheel drive cars would do, it takes full advantage of it's powered outside rear wheel to motor around the corner in a composed manner, more or less on the intended line. The added control is simply welcome, especially so in wet and slippery conditions.

I don't know too many everyday drivers out there who would drive like this just to see if their cars can handle it but it makes for some good reading about the new RL.
  • Out of curiosity, did the nav traffic for DC tell you to just stay home? :)
  • lvdhlvdh Posts: 29
    Update from LVDH.

2005 RL still in Acura's service department. I purchased my RL 14 days ago and it has now been in Acura's service department for the 11th day. Still no response whatsoever from Napleton Acura.

Since the last time I heard from Acura Client Services was on 12/23, today, at my initiation, I called Acura Client Services and spoke with an assistant manager who is dealing with my "case". He stated to me as follows:

(1) he just got back from vacation and has not had time to fully look into the matter involving my RL;

(2) he would call me tomorrow with some answers; and

(3) that Acura Client Services fully intends to make this situation right (whatever that means) with regard to the fact that I have paying principal, interest, and insurance premiums on my RL when it has been in service for the first 11 of its 14 days.

Actions speak louder than words. I await his return call.

Of interest to all who read and post in this forum, he did say that there is a department at Honda that monitors the chatter in this forum as well as other forums.
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    Lvdh, have you gotten in touch with your state office of consumer affairs? And/or the Better Business Bureau?
  • There's little difference in road noise with the Yokahama's. I made a point to listen closely with the stock tires, so I could compare once I made the change. Almost no noticeable different. Go for it...it really completes the look of the car.
  • Soapkng,

Please review my posting (page 272 #5422) I have already upgraded to 19" wheels with Yokahama 255/40/19's. The 19" looks outstanding with no noticeable difference in road noise, but a significant improvement in cornering/handling. The posting above will give you the information on the wheels I purchased (including a $500 trade-in for my stock wheels/tires = total cost was $1,400). Yes, the new BMW lug configuration does limit the choices, but I still had quite a few wheels to choose.
  • Though my Nav Traffic continues to work intermittently after having the box replaced, I am not sure I want to spend the time to try anything else. That's because I continue to find the traffic information totally inaccurate on a daily basis. For example, today I drove on a stretch of highway (Hwy 24 in the East Bay) I go down every day. Nav Traffic showed one stretch of 2-3 miles as yellow and a following stretch of about the same distance as red. Driving through both areas traffic was consistently moving at the standard Bay area speed of 75 mph or so. Not a single hiccup. I personally see this everyday. I know the technology is new, but if the system is this inaccurate it cannot be used to make the type of route decisions I need to make.
  • I know the dealer has 18" upgrades from the standard 17", but I am/was surprised to hear that you were able to put 19"......do you have any photo's of the car with the new wheel/tires, I'd love to see it!

A follow-up question....Since it seems the lug configuration is the same as BMW, is there a specific BMW that it works with and do all tires for that model work for the RL (of course, this info could be on the other post but I haven't looked yet...).

Thanks for the info, I'll check out your earlier post.
  • What tires did you go with on these new wheels? I was considering the Pilot Sport PS2 since I've heard so much about them...all good.

Thanks for the info.

DF
  • The manager who said "I was on vacation" as the reason why you had to contact them for an update on a problem that they knew about for almost a week, is terrible. I have always heard good things about Acura Client services and quite frankly I'm amazed at this lack of follow through. I recognize that people take vacation, but really, in my line of work people would be dead, and I certainly would be fired, if I went on vacation for a week and put everything on hold until I returned. That's why you have people cover for you when you're on vacation. My profession is extreme in that regard, but certainly not everyone at Acura Client services took vacation at the same time...or did they?

In any case, like you said lvdh, actions speak louder than words. We'll see what Acura Client Services actually does to resolve.

I'm really hoping this gets resolved to your satisfaction soon.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 29,225
    Umm... the car is only two weeks old.... If he has a loaner, he really isn't out anything, yet..

He may be unhappy with the service from this particular dealer, but at this time, this still seems to be a short-term problem.. Doesn't mean he has to be happy about it, though..

It is the holiday season.. people are off work, and things don't get done as quickly... Patience may help a little in this situation..

Just to be clear... no one is going to make up for your interest payments, etc, etc.... that never happens until you get to the lawsuit stage.. that is someplace I wouldn't want to go.

regards,

kyfdx

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• Why not go the lawsuit route? More than likely it'll force a settlement; if not, an award of costs and fees aren't unlikely in a lemon law trial. Especially if he gets before a jury of his peers (read: people that will be REALLY ticked off at corporate callousness).
    After two weeks of ownership? On what grounds?

Though you clearly have the right to express your opinions, I find your comments offensive and ridiculous.

First, the loaner that Acura provided to me is $20,000 (if that) Pontiac with 31,000 miles. Acura is supposed to provide its customers with an Acura loaner.

Second, I paid for a 2005 RL and the pleasure of driving that auto. I did not purchase a $50,000 car so that Acura could rent me a $20,000 car.

Third, the fact that it is the Holiday Season is no excuse for any company's lack service of and/or poor customer service. If that's your business philosphy, best of luck in the real business world.

Fourth, your fear of litigating a matter such as this is exactly one of the reasons why corporate america is so willing to take advantage of the general public. Stand up and fight for your rights!

Fifth and finally, you seem to have missed the whole point of this discussion. Acura/American Honda Motor Co. Inc., Honda Japan, and Napleton Acura prides themselves and portray, advertise and hold themselves out to the public as having the highest of highest customer service and best/most reliable vehicles manufactured - yet they have essentially not in any way, shape, fashion or form responded to my request for assistance and resolution to this matter. Many return calls promised, virtually none received.
    If you want to know what grounds, read the Magnuson Moss Warranty Act, Chapter 15 U.S.C.A., Section 2301, et. seq.
    Well... you shouldn't take offense.. As you say, it is just my opinion..

And, here is another one..

Two weeks... If you think threatening legal action will make this process go any faster, then you haven't dealt with many car dealers or auto manufacturers... Nobody likes being threatened... I don't personally know your financial situation, but I've got to believe that Honda and Napleton Acura can wear you out with lawyers...

Holiday season... those are the facts of life... and I work for a company for which that is the busiest time of the year... My little section of the company visits 400 customers per day in our area... Tomorrow? Only 110 are open..

And..I got your point about poor customer service.. But, it depends.. do you want a resolution to the problem, or do you just want to alienate everyone that is in a position to help you?

I can only go by the tone of your posts, as I don't really know you, obviously... But, if you come off the same way to the people who are in a position to resolve your problem, then you are doing yourself no favors..

And, I stand by my previous assertion.... for two weeks without a car, you will get no compensation for interest, etc... Trying to achieve that will end in nothing but frustration.. Something that you already seem to have enough of...

regards,

kyfdx

• tayl0rdtayl0rd Posts: 1,938
    I agree with kyfdx. You won't be compensated for any interest, payments, or insurance after only 2 weeks out of service. You haven't even made any of those payments yet.

Of course, you could talk to a lawyer, but the cost of his/her consultation would probably be multiple times more than the diminutive compensation that you may be (and most likely aren't) entitled to. At this stage, though, you aren't entitled to a thing.

One thing I disagree with kyfdx on is the excuse that it's the holidays. That's no reason whatsoever to sit on somebody's car for 2 weeks! I wonder how any of those people would feel if their brand new car was sitting in the shop longer than it sat in their own garage.

lvdh, about your only recourse right now is to lodge a complaint with the BBB, which will net you nothing in getting your car back, but might have repercussions against the dealer later on. And with that, I'd wait until after I got my car back and was satisfied with the repair.

Concerning the loaner you got, that is at the sole discretion of the dealer. You're fortunate to have gotten one at all, and you can't realistically expect to be given a $50K loaner car. Even Mercedes loans out "only" E-classes or, worse, C-classes when someone takes their S-class in for service. Imagine going from an S600/S55 to a C230!! Would you have been happier if they loaned you an old Integra?

As far as the lemon law goes, you have to be without your car for more than 30 consecutive days in most cases. My bet would be that they will give you your non-repaired car back around the 28th day just so you have to bring it back in and the out-of-service time starts over from zero. And I don't know how true this is or not, but I heard recently that you actually have to PAY to have a Lemon Law case considered! The fee was said to be $250 and if they reject your claim, you're just out $250!
  • kyfdx is a frequent poster on the BMW 5 series forum. He is likely here to critize any RL owner. kyfdx - Do you own an 05RL? or any Acura vehicles?
  • . . . my Audi dealer owns Acura, Audi, Cadillac and Porsche (none of these are dual dealerships, they are all stand alone and they do NOT carry the name of the owner -- repeat and loyal customers know what the owner owns, but not because it is called Smith's Acura or something like that).

Anyway, when I take my Audi (which is a 2003 allroad, stickered at $49,000 in fourth Q 2002) in for service (and my brand new Audi was in for service for the first 11 days of ownership due to the fact that the On*star system was not connected properly AT THE FACTORY or where ever it is connected, but certainly NOT at the dealership) I do get a free of charge "comparable" loaner.

I had traded in a low milage 2001 Audi A6 4.2 on this 2003 allroad -- so when it needed On Star repairs and it took 11 days, they just gave me my old car back to keep on using. Other much shorter issues (the driver's bucket seat had to be replaced which required a part to be sent from Germany -- the whole thing took three or four days) requiring me to be without transportation have always been handled with another Audi or a "premium" rental car, that Audi pays for. Once I got a Volvo, another time a Cadillac CTS, yet another time an Audi S4 (now that was a blast but it had an auto trans).

About the only issue I can see with the problems discussed above is the choice of the loaner car -- and although I agree it is the dealer's choice, the choice in this case seems, uh, "unwise." Perhaps a leftover TL would be at least OK or a leftover last model RL (there must be plenty of those hangin' around). My dealer group pulls A4's and A6's (one model year old, but still new) as loaners -- but of course the Audi Advantage program dictates FREE loaner cars (heck I even get one when I go in for an oil change).

The story as I read it is unfortunate, hopefully rare and possibly would "read better" if the dealer had chosen his customer's rental car "wisely" -- after all this is a new model (the RL) and I would think that the dealer could really shine with a couple touches of class here and there.

The problem with the car may not be mitigated solely by a loaner upgrade, but I have found that people really hate it when they feel chintzed out (the difference between the Pontiac's rental cost and the "TL's" to pick one is probably minimal.)

If Acura does NOT routinely offer no questions asked loaner (for free) cars, this too shall be taken into consideration as I move down the path, possibly away from Audi and toward another (gasp!) brand.

While I do not own an Acura, all that I have read -- excluding here -- about the new RL has just been dandy. I am in no position to crack wise or criticize (Burma Shave!)
  • cericceric Posts: 1,093
    kyfdx is a frequent poster on the BMW 5 series forum. He is likely here to criticize any RL owner. kyfdx - Do you own an 05RL? or any Acura vehicles?

If a guy posts a lot on a BMW forum and doesn't own RL yet is likely to criticize the new RL. Please make it two to count me in. That's funny.
  • aclcaclc Posts: 20
    Has anyone done their own oil change on their 2005 RL? Is the filter hard to get to? I believe you can only access it from under the car.
  • jjacurajjacura Posts: 808
    "If a guy posts a lot on a BMW forum and doesn't own RL yet is likely to criticize the new RL. Please make it two to count me in. That's funny."

The BMW thing makes me laugh...and it also reminds me of my son. I enjoy the Holidays because it gives me an opportunity to spend some time with my 35 year old son. He and I love to hop into each other's car and just drive....we went downtown today in my new RL and had lunch at our favorite Chili shop. He drove. (Been going to "Real Chili" since Sept of 1960 when I hit town to attend college. anyway. best damn chili I've ever had... Cincinnati's doesn't touch it!) Anyway my son owns a BMW M3 and when he bought the car 3 years ago I enjoyed the excitement it created for him but never said a word about his decision to leave Acura for BMW. Today was his first ride in the RL. I have to say...I have never seen him get this excited over any vehicle ever. He wants one bad. :-)
  • Let me respond to all who did comment on my postings. First to clarify, my primary concern was about the Acura official making a derogatory statement (in my opinion) about the pre-2005 RL. I have not seen anybody defending it. Some agreed with me that it seemed inappropriate. While a personal opinion is what it is (just a personal point of view) and everybody is entitled to their own personal opinion, there is no reason for personal attacks. Relax guys (and gals). We have over 250 models available for sale so everybody can choose what they like and nobody needs to defend their choice. I reflected on my impressions of the 2004 RL, which were objective and based on my personality and my expectations (and also what I could afford at that time). At the time I bought it, I knew that it was a compromise, a good average of all I expected from my next car. Now I know that it does not sense to make compromises. I still stick to my opinion that the 2004 RL is an average car when compared to other cars in the same price range. Some people like average, I do not.

If it come to the 2005 RL as I stated clearly I did not drive it, but to satisfy those who were upset that I dared to have an opinion about the car (without test-driving it first), I will drive it tomorrow. Dealer already contacted me as he knows I can afford it, so he is looking for an opportunity to sell it. I may change my opinion after the test drive, though I doubt it. First and foremost, one must like the look of the car in order to like it. I do not consider the 05 RL to have a distinctive look (though I do not want to have an extensive discussion over it, it is what I feel, which is not representative of what anybody else feels). The inside look much better, but my problem is that the car is small inside (again, it is small to me, it may be huge to some of you). There is another vehicle which is small inside, the 530, but in my opinion (again) the 530 overall is a much more appealing car than the 05 RL.

Now on the "problem of torque". I drove a number of vehicles (as most of you did too) and what I learnt was that having more torque helps. My Yukon has 325 and I can rely on it all the time. I cannot say it about my Acura. The 2004 features 231 torque at 2800 revs, while the 05 RL has 260 but you have to rev up to 5000, which is not used most of the time in everyday driving. On the other hand the GS430 (which is the 8 cylinder I admit, but cost the same as the 05 RL) has 325 torque and the 0 to 60 is 6 seconds flat, not over 7 seconds for the 05 RL.

What I look for is what the money can buy. Personally I do not find the 05 RL look appealing, the vehicle is smaller, trunk is just 13 cubic feet, wheelbase is just 110 inch. To me it is a small car. If I want a small car for the same money, but much faster I can get just a little smaller S4. S4 leaves the 05 RL way behind.

Again, not to antagonize anybody here, the choice of car is a personal thing. If you like the 05 RL, enjoy it, have fun. For me if I need to spend another $50K on a car, there are better choices. Acura seems to be going away from luxury vehicles and tries to become a sporty alternative. As long as they do not have the rear wheel drive, I do not believe they will win many people over who look for a really sporty car. But if you like the 05 RL, go and get it.

Let me share my thoughts about the test drive next time. Let me warn you though, I do drive decisively.