Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Acura RL

Comments

• jwilson1jwilson1 Posts: 956
    I don't know if the new one is planned for soon ... the only conversation on it is in AutoNews (on www)and it says the replacement is scheduled for a year or two.

There has been no noise on it. Hope it's real!

Take care.
    Joe W.
  • tlondontlondon Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 RL w/Nav and have had the car back to the dealer 3 times because I have noise (a high pitched hum) coming from my speakers. It doesn't make the noise when on ACC and the car is not started. They have replaced the radio and the amp, now they are telling me this is normal. It is very annoying as I listen to a lot of talk radio. Does anyone else have problems like this?
  • bgordonrbgordonr Posts: 3
    To Spartan11-

Purchased used 2000 RL, 11k miles 5 months ago for wife. Car stalled at stop twice & while moving slowly in traffic once. Original owner had similar complaint when new and dealer said it may be transmission but nothing done except to incr idle.

I spoke to shop foreman who said Acura authorized transmission replacement in some RL's but problem remained. Said they received reworked engine control module and that seemed to have fixed stalling problem. Acura replaced engine/powertrain control module a month ago and so far it has not stalled.
    Also my sun roof seemed to have rattling sound when shade was open & driving on rough road. Dealer said it was the rubber squeeking rather than rattle. I disagreed and said it was rattle but they lubed the rubber seal and all is well now.
  • rmnixonrmnixon Posts: 21
    I just bought a 1997 RL with 97K on it. Beautiful car by the way. I have noticed that when I start it up, I hear a sound that sounds like an air compressor runnning. It only does it on intial start up and for no more than 2-3 seconds. Any idea what that is. Does the RL have some type of load leveling system? Thanks.
  • Most likely it is the ABS system pressurizing. Hondas have a pretty loud pump. My Legends, RL and Accord all make the same noise at start up after sitting a while.
  • The noise you upon initial acceleration after start-up is the ABS pump performing a self-test and is normal. All vehicles with ABS do this, but some are noiser than others, but it is normal assuming no ABS trouble lights stay illuminated. Enjoy the RL, it is a great car.
    Thanks guys. Thats what I figured but I couldn't find it in the owners manual. I love this car, even with 97K on the clock it has no rattles and rides like a dream!!
  • poonsspoonss Posts: 7
    Anyone know how to reset the maintenance light on a 2000 RL?
    I'm not sure about a 2000, but in my 97 the owners manual describes a process using the two button for the trip meters and the outside temp. Check your manual.
  • hoolickhoolick Posts: 16
    has anyone heard of any rebates or cashback for the 02 rl?it's really a fine car.
  • orkinporkinp Posts: 15
    I don't know of any publicized rebates, but dealers are selling them at "dead cost" to move them. My dealer had 50 of them (Boston Ma. area!). I leased a TL in '98, never had a single problem, and sent 4 people to that dealer, all 4 got TL's, but I always wanted the RL! We also have a Jag X...great driving, great dealership, but lots of problems!
  • rlmanrlman Posts: 8
    What is considered "dead cost" for the RL? I've seen some internet specials ranging from $37995 to $38995 across the country. What is the best I can do?
  • fredvhfredvh Posts: 853
    The invoice cost for the RL is $38,921. This does not include any dealer incentives from the manufacturer, if any. Is the RL worth $10,000 more than the TL?
    RL Owners: Is the RL worth $10,000 more than the TL? Can you owners give me an idea of mpg on the RL?
  • orkinporkinp Posts: 15
    $40,700 for an RL with Nav. My lease has a residual value of $22000! I will probably buy it at the end if it's as good as my '98TL.
  • qkinneqkinne Posts: 1
    I am looking at a 1996 3.5RL with about 46,000 miles on it. The asking price is around 15k and it is certified. Do you think this is a good deal, and should I opt for the extended service contract which lasts until 100,000 miles?
    You asked,

"Is the RL worth $10,000 more than the TL?"

That's why I bought one. I looked at both cars and, since I do lots of highway driving, chose to drive the RL at a premium price. Well worth the decision.

"Can you owners give me an idea of mpg on the RL?"

Well, there's been a lot of discussion on this and it seems to vary from car to car, or driver to driver, or both. Personally, in 80 city/20 hwy I get about 19.5. At a steady 65, it's 24 or a bit more (depending on temp.) And at 80, it's 22.

Take care.
    Joe W.
  • goterps7goterps7 Posts: 2
    push both the reset and select buttons in while turning the ignition key on and hold for at least 5 seconds...(per the manual)...
  • 2tall4yall2tall4yall Posts: 3
    I'm currently driving a '91 Legend with 174K miles (bought it used in '93 with 23K miles). What a faithful road warrior! As a confirmed Acura disciple, I'm ready to move on to the RL. Wow, now I feel like I'm cheating on my trusty Legend!

Anyway, here's my question: Are the improvements in the suspension and horses in the 2002 RL worth the extra $10K I could save by buying a 2000 with 30K miles or so. I plan on driving the car past 150K miles and I'm not the type to pay extra just for the new car smell. Can you really tell a difference in 2002 vs. 2000? Also, I'm not interested in waiting till next year for the possible V-8, RWD or AWD enhancements with a higher price tag.

Insight or advice?

Thanks, Scott D.
  • qwallsqwalls Posts: 406
    RLs don't hold their value nearly as well as Legends. They are a much better buy used. The best way to tell if the improvements are worth it to you would be to drive both. I'd be inclined to save the $10k.
    I just bought a 97 RL with 97K on the clock and I would be inclined to tell you to go with a used RL. My RL doesn't have a single squeak or rattle in the interior and engine and transmission seam as smooth as a new one. From what I have seen, these cars are just a bullet proof as the legends. Good luck.
  • subzero206subzero206 Posts: 111
    u wont be cheating on your trusty Legend because in japan the RL is a Honda Legend.
  • prophet2prophet2 Posts: 372
    I bought my '96 RL, which lacks some of the improvements you have on the 2000 (e.g. traction control), when it had 36K on the clock. Have driven it 26K trouble-free miles over the past 19 months, with only scheduled maintenance and front brake service needed. Oh, I put in a new DieHard battery before the OEM one conked out

Some wags have said that "RL" stands for "Revised Legend," so you aren't "cheating."
  • l943973l943973 Posts: 197
    I would say you check out what each year has to offer. The 99 version had HIDs, revised styling up front, side airbags (not sure if pre99 had this). 2000 added Vehicle Skid Control, revised armrest with a horizontal phone jack versus vertical phone jack (makes it easier to use the bulky cell adapters) that didn't work in the 99 version, body color molding under the doors. 2001, I'm not sure of the changes. 2002: 225hp, OnStar more interior sound deadening materials.
    Allow a (somewhat) dissenting voice. The '02 also has a bit stiffer suspension and more feedback in the steering, both important to me. I'd driven each of the RLs as they were released and they were all too soft until this year's. For me, in fact, it would be the '02 or another badge altogether.

Now for others (as you can tell) the difference isn't worth mentioning. But coming from the Legend, a truly responsive car, you may prefer the '02, like me. But, obviously, if that doesn't make a difference you'd be wasting money to buy a new one.

If you want to wait till August of '04 you can have mine for a shade over $22.5k!

Take care.
    Joe W.
  • gambhirgambhir Posts: 64
    Is there a redesign for 2003--AWD and V8??
    Last we heard, some months ago, it was supposed to appear in '03 as an '04 model. But now rumors are flying that it'll stay with the V6. The dealer here, who seems to know things ahead quite often, has no idea. They just hope Acura leaves them with something in the $40k range.

Take care.
    Joe W.
  • kennyg5kennyg5 Posts: 360
    I read in various auto magazines that the 0 to 60 speed for the RL ranges from 8.0 sec to 9.2 sec. Which is a better approximation of its true speed? Has anyone tested their RL? I presume that the 2002 RL is not faster than previous models. True? Can I can get a 2002 RL with NAV for below $40K?
    kenny, I've tried my '02 just once and got a little over 8.5 by stopwatch. My friend has an '00 and we both agree that the '02 seems faster from a stop (not done with a watch, and that wouldn't be reliable anyway, given it would take two separate measurements). What was more important to us was the useful torque left from about 70 -- 110 or so. Both had plenty and are very secure on the highway, where we both drive most of the time.

If you're going to be drag racing I'd suggest something with a slightly different configuration -- maybe the BMW 540iA -- tho it would carry a slightly larger surcharge.

I'm curious. Why does 0-60 interest you with this car?

Take care.
    Joe W.
  • kennyg5kennyg5 Posts: 360
    Thanks for the quick reply, Joe W. I am not interested in drag racing, but 0-60 would be important if you try to merge safely and confidently into fast moving traffic on the highway. The 540i is sweet and powerful, but it is at least 10k more expensive when similarly equipped. I'm torn between choosing a TL and RL; does the RL justify the 10k increase?
  • l943973l943973 Posts: 197
    I think the RL is worth the 10k increase. Your buying a car with more quality components. The build quality is much better and the ride is much smoother. The RL is also a much bigger car. They don't sell well so you can probably get one at invoice. I have a 99 model and the car drives like a dream. The TL is a bit rougher around the edges and the build quality and components aren't as good.

Check the radio in the TL, when you adjust the steering wheel volume, the console knob doesn't move with it. The sound system isn't as good as the RL. Also in the RL, steering controls are in sync with the center dash.

Look at the door locks in the TL. All 4 aren't exactly the same height. That isn't a problem in the RL.

The TL driver door armrest is hard molded plastic. Its very uncomfortable to rest your arm there. The RL uses padded leather for armrests.

The paint and sheetmetal on the TL is very thin. 2 coats. My dad got hail damage on his TL but no damage on his Toyota Camry or Nissan Maxima. RL has at least 4 coats on thicker sheetmetal.

Some of the TL fuel doors are completely flush with the body panels.
    (Hear about this one from other owners, but my dad's TL looks fine)

The RL and TL are built at different plants. The RL has much tighter tolerances.

Check out http://www.hondanews.com

They go into greater detail on whats in an RL (Powertrain info, Chassis info, Structural info, etc.) Go under 3.5 RL Technical Info.

I like the TL, but its just not as nice as the RL. If you get an RL, I think the 2002 model is definitely the best one yet.