Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Acura RL

Comments

• somnosomno Posts: 43
    I have noticed that my XM traffic is not functioning for the past few days in the LA area in Southern California. My XM radio is working and my GPS works fine.

Any others experiencing this problem?
  • jdsissjdsiss Posts: 1
    I may have finally figured out the locking problem. While reading through the instructions it's casually mentioned that one must push in on the starter switch when starting the car. Now, I always just push in on the thing before turning it and it seems to make the connection and link properly. I haven't had the problem since I started doing this.
  • jjacurajjacura Posts: 808
    In this day of high technology I am reminded back when I was a kid and got something new. My dad would always say.. "Take some time son and read the manual..." :-)
  • soapkngsoapkng Posts: 21
    Here's a shot of my RL with the windows tinted and the 18" wheels...nice.

http://homepage.mac.com/spclst/RL/PhotoAlbum57.html

Enjoy!

DF
    I inquired about 18" wheels when we were getting ready to finalize the decision to order the car. We have the Celestial Silver as well. What you have done looks great.
  • soapkngsoapkng Posts: 21
    Here's a shot of my RL with the windows tinted and my 18" wheels:

http://homepage.mac.com/spclst/RL/PhotoAlbum57.html
  • Toronto Star article today on why the Infiniti M will kill RL sales - i.e. - RL overpriced.

Lesson 1 - Japanese Luxury/reliability/fit finish beats the BMW/Audi/MB set, hands down

Lession 2 - Acura juiced the RL pricing by about $12K Canadian - leaving their $71K vehicle looking at the tailpipes of the 'at least as equipped' M35x (about CAD$58-60K). Acura gets the 'Dummy' award for mismarketing their vehicle in Canada - too boring to take out German design at equal price, too overpriced for that wide swath of well-heeled $55-65K Canadian buyers who will opt M or LexusGS, 100% of the time. Shut out the lights, Acura Canada.
    " Shut out the lights, Acura Canada. "

You are always welcome to come to America when it gets a little dark in Canada! ;-)
  • kfhmailkfhmail Posts: 199
    I like the new RL, but I keep coming back to...Why...why would Acura offer ventilated seats on the RL in Canada but not the US???

Question for the RL Canadian owners...

Can you see how the seats are ventilated? (Is it just a "feed" off the line that cools the back seats?) Does this look like something that could be added to the cars in the US by a dealer or repair shop? (I would think there would not be that much that needed to be added.) Where is the switch located to activate the cooling of the seats?

Thanks for any info on the ventilated seats!!!
    "I like the new RL, but I keep coming back to...Why...why would Acura offer ventilated seats on the RL in Canada but not the US???"

It was an interesting trade off. We get XM Satellite and they get the ventilated seats. If you live in Phoenix (Or any warm climate location in the states) the ventilated seats would be an attractive feature to have. Personally, I love the XM and the ventilated seats would be a low priority issue. (We live in Wisconsin)
  • Based on reception issues here in Oregon with XM, I'm thinking that XM reception in Canada makes it impractical.
    It was my understanding that XM doesn't operate in Canada so Acura equipped the Canadian RL's with ventilated seats...an option we in the USA don't get.
  • bodble2bodble2 Posts: 4,519
    I'd take ventilated seats over XM any day. Ventilated seats have no user's fees.
  • gnarlygnarly Posts: 13
    The following is excerpted from an article on page A6 of the January 31, 2005, edition of The Wall Street Journal:

HONDA PROFIT SLIPS, BUT FORECAST RISES

Honda Motor Co. said a stronger yen dented its earnings for the fiscal third quarter, but the company lifted its full-year profit outlook, predicting cost cuts will drive profit to a record for a fourth straight year ... Overseas vehicle sales grew 13% from a year earlier ... offsetting a fall of 4% in domestic sales ... Sales volume in Asia excluding Japan jumped 79% ... on brisk sales in China and Indonesia, and robust sales in the UK pushed European sales up 34% ... Sales in North America fell 4% ... as a slowdown in sales of its Accord model after brisk sales of the model last fiscal year OFFSET STRONG SALES OF THE ACURA RL AND ODYSSEY [emphasis added]. The rising costs of steel and other materials are within the company's expectations ... Even so, Honda may need to raise its vehicle prices in some overseas markets to offset the impact of the higher costs ...
    and that's fine if it works for you. I really can't think of any feature I have enjoyed more than the XM Satellite radio especially with this sound system. (User fees are nominal considering what you invest in the car, also the first year is free.) As for the ventilated seats, I have never had them but it would seem to me that in my climate they would get very little use. (I do use the heated seats a lot and consider those a great feature here in Wisconsin) It would be interesting to hear the story why XM doesn't go to Canada. Maybe it's a licensing issue with the FCC here in the states because common sense tells you satellite goes everywhere...(Except perhaps inside a parking structure or car wash. Some folks can't get the signal inside their garages... it must depend on what is overhead because we get the signal inside ours.)
  • The XM satellites are over the equator so the further north you go, the lower on the horizon/easier to obscure they are.
  • formulaformula Posts: 17
    I am guessing that the lack of XM in Canada is connected with the strict content standards imposed by the Canadian government that requires that a specified percentage of the content originate in Canada. Under these rules, most if not all XM stations wouldn't be allowed.

For more information see:

http://www.media-awareness.ca/english/issues/cultural_policies/ca- nadian_content_rules.cfm
  • So "Listen Canadian" is their equivalent of our "Buy American"! :-)
    Yes...very good FORMULA...I believe you've got it right. Hence the "Cancon Rules" that apply to radio, TV, and special broadcasting in Canada. They skew heavily toward strong Canadian Content. That would eliminate XM radio for sure. There is an excellant rebuttal entitled "Cancon Rules Should be Canned" on the following site: http://www.media-awareness.ca/english/resources/articles/sovereig- nty_identity/cancon_rules.cfm
  • Can you tell me if those TSW Montage are chrome? It's hard to tell from the pic.
  • satiresatire Posts: 71
    Hey folks, I hate to point out the obvious here but it's really rather simple. Acura is stuck with this car for four to five years. Much like Honda does, Acura will dole out additional options each year to keep the car "fresh". They can't very well give us everything the first year and be done with it. So expect the vented seats next year and adaptive cruise control shortly thereafter.

By the time this version of the RL fades away, it will be better equiped, higher powered(?) and far more expensive. It's up to you to decide at what point you're fully satisfied. Me? I'm going to save $20K and get an Accord EX. Love the RL but not willing to pay for it. Sorry but my car needs are such that I don't need to spend $50K to be happy.
    I like your decision...We've enjoyed Accords and Preludes for many years. I chuckle over my wife's Honda Civic...she has had it for 2 and 1/2 years and has 7,000 miles on it. It's like new with 2 oil changes. My cars however... I've been with Acura since '93 Vigor... The new RL is A reward after a career and a few years of retirement. My wife says "JJ, you've earned it." Can't blame you though for buying Accord. That's all the car a person needs. Did you check out the new Hybrid with the Satellite-Linked Navi System, a 255 HP V-6 that delivers 37 MPG? $31,990.
  • kennyg5kennyg5 Posts: 360
    Using your logic, why spend the extra dough on an Accord EX when you can have a Civic for thousands less. Better yet, take mass transit (because investing in a car is never a smart move as it will depreciate no matter what) and help save the environment :-)
  • prophet2prophet2 Posts: 372
    A fine reward. Go for it and don't worry what the bean-counter type of mentality out there say. The RL is not for everybody. The same as the Accord EX is "too much" for others - the Civic would suffice.

We RL-types don't need the "satisfaction" that owning a BMW, Mercedes, or Jaguar brings. From my perspective and experience, those cars end up "owning" you .........
  • tayl0rdtayl0rd Posts: 1,938
    You know, I really hate it when the "buzz kill" crowd says it's crazy to spend such-and-such money for a car, and that such-and-such is all you need. Blah, blah, blah. If people only bought "what they need" for a car, there would be literally tens of millions of people who wouldn't own a car at all and tens of millions more who would only be driving Geo Metros, Subaru Justies, and the ilk. Having a new car would be like high treason!

There are an extreme few cars in this world that will actually give you a return on your investment. I'm sure any consumer with a quarter of a brain will realize that. Buying a car is a bad financial decision right off the bat if you're an investor type. Buying a NEW car is even more dumb, and the dumbness grows exponentially as the price of the car goes up! SO WHAT??? It's somebody else's money so why should the el-cheapos care what they spent on it?

Granted, I still maintain that the RL is overpriced for what you get, but that is my opinion, based solely on my own criteria of what I expect/want from a car costing that much. Some will agree with me, some will disagree. That's the beauty (and agony) of having a free will. You don't have to agree with what others think.

We all work hard for our money and deserve to pamper ourselves from time to time. For folks whose idea of luxury is being inundated with electronic gadgetry, the RL is a jewel for them. For others whose idea of luxury is comfort and pampering for driver and all his passengers, the RL might not make a whole lot of sense. I'm a member of the latter group. I feel you get more for less in the TL rather than the RL.

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE gadgets, but not at the expense of comfort for me and my companions.

Anyway, if someone opts for an Accord EX V6 over an RL, that's cool. Congratulations. But also try to remember that the guy across the street in the Kia Amante also feels that you paid too much for that Accord. (And when that new Hyundai Sonata hits the streets, it's REALLY gonna look like you paid too much for that Accord. But there's always the trusty, standby justification of "reputation for quality.")
    Interesting how we are different. I loved my 2000 TL and was chomping at the bits when the 2004 TL was coming. When it arrived I really balked at the idea of buying one. The design changes came up short for me. Money had nothing to do with it.

The new 2005 RL came out in October and I new it was the right car for me. The electronic gadgetry didn't "Sell me" on the car. The overall design and refinement of this car outside and inside was perfect for me. Simply put.
  • driftracerdriftracer Posts: 2,692
    Perfect example - in 1988, I was stationed at Dyess AFB, TX, and I bought a new Mustang GT - talking to one of my buddies at work, talking about how fun the car was at the autocross track that last weekend, an older master sergeant fronted me with the question "why do you need a car that screams around corners and goes 140 mph if the national speed limit is 55?"....

This guy had a horrible looking combover, and drove a 1974 GREEN (yes, THAT green) 4 dr Dodge Dart with a slant 6.

I told him if he had to ask, he certainly couldn't understand.
    "By the time this version of the RL fades away, it will be better equiped, higher powered(?) and far more expensive."

I agree it will be significantly upgraded, but I don't think it will be far more expensive. If you look at Honda's pattern of mid-model upgrades, they hold cost increase to a minimum. That's how they maintain sales momentum as a model ages.
    Hey, to each his own. Everyone's got different priorities. It's not for me, or you, to hate it or embrace it. Can't label it as "cheap mentality". Most people only has a finite amount of resources, and different people apportion it differently. A guy who drives a Kia instead of an BMW may be living in a million dollar house, or putting 3 kids thru college. Just different priorities. I wouldn't say it's cheap mentality.
  • It appears reasonable to assume that income/net worth determine just how much one needs to consider "value" when purchasing a car. JJ, your wife said that you had earned it - your RL. However, as much as you may deserve it, you, too, had the means to buy it. Consider having worked fifty years and having accumulated a reasonable amount of money. Depending upon the price of the car in consideration, if you're in a very strong financial position, the "value" of the car becomes academic - if you really want it!

If $5,000 is meaningless and you've fallen for an RL that's deemed by many to be overpriced, then so what? Generally, when one feels "taken," it's the result of an absence of options - of not having a choice. I never feel "used" if I buy something whose price seems excessive to someone else....even if their assessment is correct.

I do feel used when I receive my monthly phone bill and find that taxes and surcharges comprise almost 40% of the total. There, I have no choice but to pony up.