Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Acura RL

Comments

• kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 31,211
    Don't get me started on the phone bill.. At least the internet access is still tax-free..

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• bodble2bodble2 Posts: 4,519
    I'm trying to start a flame war, but in Canada the 280 hp M35 AWD starts at $58K, I believe. Even with a couple of options, its price should undercut the RL by a healthy margin. It probably doesn't have all the high-tech toys that the RL has, but it won't be that far behind. Styling is a toss-up, IMO. I think it looks more macho, in keeping with recent Nissan trend, whereas the RL looks more sleek. Neither one is a styling home-run. But I think Acura may face stiff competition from the M35 in Canada.
  • jjacurajjacura Posts: 808
    You are so right "Value" of that car becomes academic. Also there are so many other factors that play into the picture that don't include whether or not one can "Afford" to buy something. One of my retired former associates has done extremely well financially and could afford to buy anything he wants. He comes from a mindset of penny-pinching however and it still reflects how he lives his life. He deliberates over an auto purchase for not weeks, or months, but years. When we discussed the RL he said..."You go ahead, I could not buy one because I would be scared to death of seeing it get that first scratch, I could not leave it in a public parking lot....I would be afraid to get it into heavy traffic." So there you are...it takes all kinds.

The phone bill issue...I am with you all the way on that one followed closely by the way we have been pummeled in recent years by gas and energy rate hikes. Regardless of our financial positions we have a right to our beefs...that's the beauty of living in the good old USA.
    "He comes from a mindset of penny-pinching however and it still reflects how he lives his life. He deliberates over an auto purchase for not weeks, or months, but years."

OK, jj, how did you meet my father? We always tease him about his car purchase process. He'd think and think, then waits for the annual auto show to "check out all alternative", then think some more, and wait because the new models are "just around the corner". Repeat same cycle when new model year starts, and it goes on and on. Usually when you walk into a dealer the sales guys and gals pounce on you like locusts. Well, when my father walks in, unless they've never seen him there before, no one makes a move for him 'cause they know he's a thinker, not a buyer.

Then, after finally getting a new car, he doesn't want to drive it, so he ends up with something like 5,000 km in 2 years!

And he's not penniless. He can probably afford any car this side of an Enzo.
  • prophet2prophet2 Posts: 372
    "Paralysis by analysis" - too much time thinking, not enough living. They probably fear that a "better" deal will show up AFTER they finally buy. And, they won't buy a first-year model because the "bugs" need to be worked out. After a few years gave passed and the model has been "de-bugged," a new model is "right around the corner." And, it goes round and round, again A pity, indeed.

When I worked part-time at a UnoCal station during high school (mid-'60s), my classmate's father had his car serviced there. 30,000 miles on the odometer after 13 years .......

A client of mine drives her 2000 Protege LX a bit more. Bought it in early 2002 with 6500 miles on the clock. Now has 16K miles.
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    You might be interested in joining the Luxury Performance Sedans discussion. The RL and M35 are actively being discussed along with several other interesting vehicles.
  • As of about a week ago, every morning when I turn on my RL, I have one or more messages that are part of a Feature Guide, each message telling me about some feature of the car that I already know about. Is there a way to make it stop? Thanks.
    Don't think you can stop them from coming to you. (Up to 32 messages I believe) but I have missed most of them by going to XM radio as soon as I enter the car. Now I listen to them at my leasure but have found that like you, I already know pretty much most of the features covered by these messages and once heard you can delete them.
  • I purchased my RL in nighthawk black pearl with ebony black interior. It is gorgeous!!! I also purchased the wood steering wheel. When I went to pick it up they kindly decided to inform me that the wood steering wheel is on national back order. I called Acura and they are putting some type of a rush on it for me, but I am quite frustrated as I have already paid for a feature that I don't have and one in which they have no delivery date. Does anyone have any suggestions, and has anyone else encountered this senario??
  • Congratulations on your new RL. You're going to enjoy it. I also have the wood steering wheel along with the wood shift knob. It really trims out the front interior and for my taupe interior, it only makes it that much better. I was concerned about only having a partial leather grip, but was pleasently surpised that I still had the same feel. Even the wood section has the finger ridges on the window side which enhances your grip. You'll like the look and feel.

Now to the bad news. In my case, the taupe wood wheel took 12 weeks for delivery. Longer than delivery of the car (5 weeks). I was originally told that taupe was in short supply. But I later found out that it had more to do with a safety check-out of how the wood interior reacted in safety crash tests. It appears that because all the wood in the '05 RL is cut in a vertical, front to back fashion versus horizontal, it could present a safety issue when the wood splinters in a accident. I was told that all original cars were grandfathered, but that newly manufactured cars were being held up until the wood passed safety tests. This included the wood steering wheel.

Is this the reason? Possibly. But Acura also may not have anticipated so many requests for wood steering wheels, especially in the taupe version.

Hopefully you will have yours much sooner than I experienced. It didn't bother me so much as my accessories were thrown into the deal.

In either case, you will enjoy the final look and feel of your RL. By the way, I insisted that the dealership give me the old leather steering wheel when they installed the new one. You may find yourself selling it in the future as a part offering. It's yours, so take it.
  • I saw the new RL, it reminds of bloated and dolled up accord. I believe if Acura wants to be taken seroiusly in the market above $40K it needs to develop a VTEC V8.
  • Your comment was worth 2 cents.
  • The latest issue of AutoWeek lauds the RL;a great review!!

The only complaint, but a minor one: low end torque. The car is described glowingly. Skid pad and cones:impressive. Interior and exterior refined. Hints that BMW checks its rearview mirror.....RL coming up fast!
  • natenate Posts: 12
    I have had my RL since Oct. 04, and was wondering if anyone else has experienced the same problem I have. On multiple occasions while going downhill after I release the brake, a second or two later suddenly the car begins to decelerate again as if I was applying the brakes or if the brakes were stuck. Pressing the gas resolves the problem. It is really odd, and I am not sure what is going on. I don't think it is downshifting. Any insight would be appreciated.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 31,211
    That is your basic Honda automatic transmission at work... On an Accord, they call it "grade logic".. When heading downhill, once you hit the brakes and let off.. the transmission assumes that you don't want the speed of the car to increase and holds the lower gear.. It will do this until it gets input from the throttle.. Once you step on the gas, it will then upshift and allow the car to coast... I'm not sure of the exact mechanics of it, but the result is the same.

That is an over-simplification, but is more or less what you are feeling.. If you drive Honda automatics for a long time, you get used to it, and once you've adjusted, it actually makes sense.... and you learn to use it to your advantage.. It does save you from riding the brake going down hills in a low speed limit zone...

regards,

kyfdx

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• natenate Posts: 12
    Thanks for the info. I must say that it doesn't do it all the time going downhill. If your explanation is the reason, then if I change into manual shift mode before entering downhill, it should not decelerate the car and maintain the same gear. I will try that next time I think of it.
  • The HFL phonebook is totally seperate from the addressbook. What I do is anything of significance that I put in my address book, I store in my phonebook. Otherwise you do have to read the number from the addressbook into the HFL voice call command.

Bob K.
  • Anybody have any problem like this? Periodically, without warning or apparant cause, my varios settings such as when the doors lock, seat memory, how doors unlock,etc., revert back to default settings. If I do nothing(sometimes), hours later, everything returns to my settings. One time the system identified me as driver 2 instead of driver 1, but again later, self corrected. By the way, my Acura service is at a lose and Acura has given me an actural case number as they are trying to figure out what is going on. Except for this annoyance, I love my car. It drives and rides like a dream. Also, Cingular Motorola V515 Bluetooth pairs easily and works flawlessly with HFL.

Bob K.
  • Thank you so much for your detailed reply! I too was told that it has to do with safety reasons. I am just afraid that I will get lost in the shuffle and will not have my steering wheel for months. Do you suggest that I ask for my money back, or hold tight with my "we owe you a steering wheel form"?

I absolutely love the car. It is like driving a luxery hotel. And for that person that said it looks like an Accord has obviously not sat in the car nor driven it. The car's a dream!
    Received my first copy of Auto Week and it was coincidently this issue. I also thought the article was well done. An interesting thing was the cross shopping comparisons made with the higher end 745i,S430, and A8L. I can't remember seeing this before. In another forum there were negative feedbacks from the MB and Lexus folk but I really denoted a form of insecurity in their remarks. The people that put down the RL are usually the ones that have never driven the car much less owned one. By the way ACURAPHILE...I have a tip for you on a relatively new trumpet player out there that will absolutely amaze you with his talent. Chris Botti... Been playing his CDs on the RL sound system and I have to say...I would go out on a limb and give him the nod over Miles Davis. I hope you are well. JJ
  • kfhmailkfhmail Posts: 199
    Hey guys how about listing things we would like for ACURA to add/change about the RL for the next model year "06" or even earlier.

I am not talking about major changes that usually occur when a model is redesigned...but more along the lines of minor modifications or tweaking to make the car even better...

Suggestion:

Color changes (interior and exterior)

XM or Sirius

heated back seats

ventilated/cooled seats

more or less cup holders/storage

better speakers

changes in the brakes

changes in tires

keyless system

Just examples...I am sure you will have other ideas

Thanks.
  • kfhmailkfhmail Posts: 199
    1. I would love to see Acura add ventilated seats to the RL as soon as possible. (front and rear if possible).

2. Heated rear seats
    I would like to see Acura reduce the price of the RL for the Canadian market by about 10%.
  • I've read some previous posts mentioning problems with the transmission or SH-AWD mechanism, and not sure if what I've experienced is the same or my car is starting to develop a more serious problem.

The last few times I drove my car, I noticed that after accelerating around a turn, after slowing down (releasing the gas) the car makes a "growling" sound in the transmission - it's almost like when you downshift when you're going just a little too fast, but in this case it's not as loud and the car doesn't slow down any. You can feel the car vibrate a little and then it goes away (it lasts no more than a second or two) and it doesn't happen again. I haven't been able to reproduce this.

I recall reading some posts about some "transmission" fluid in the SH-AWD mechanism being low. Could this be what's happening?

I plan to call the dealer, but I'm afraid, like me, they won't be able to reproduce the problem, and so won't be able to do much. But if someone else has had this problem, and can provide some further insight I might be able to use in my discussion with the dealer, it would be most helpful.

I'm beginning to get worried about breaking my rule of "not buying the first model-year of a major redesign"... my car still has less than 5,000 miles.
  • Stay with your order. You'll appreciate the look it adds to the interior.

Hopefully you won't have to wait that long. I received mine last week, so they are shipping their backorders.
  • Many modern premium cars with auto transmissions actually do hold the lower gear (or even downshift) to provide, I can only assume, engine braking.

I would think this is a feature -- not a problem.
  • Unfortunately I wish it was only the engine downshifting, but I'm pretty sure this is definitely not the case...it's a sound I've never heard before (I only mentioned the downshifting because the sound sort of resembled it, and the feel). I'm quite concerned about this as I've read some posts about the problem with the SH-AWD. No warning lights or any other indication of a problem other than the "grinding/growling" sound after a hard acceleration while turning.
    Most Acura dealers have enough information by now on potential problems with this car. I recommend you take it in to a dealer right away. Fead back in this forum can possibly give you misinformation.
  • I absolutely agree with these two ideas

steve
  • cove148cove148 Posts: 117
    Price of car can be reduced by making these options as has Lexus & Infiniti.

AWD & Navigation.

Should help get the car to a competitive price point.