Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Acura RL

Comments

• jjacurajjacura Posts: 808
    Wow....it would be interesting to know the number of cars on that shipment ....and which make...(Maybe one of Mark Cincinnatti's Audis was aboard perhaps?)
  • varmintvarmint Posts: 6,326
    Actually, I think there was a container ship that sank with numerous Volvos and MBs on it.

A more likely cause for concern would be things like the dock workers strike we had last year.

But I don't think either is a significant concern. Acura is tight with the information because they have always been tight with information. And it has always worked well for them. While I can sympathize with the folks clamoring for hard information, it appears that the Acura strategy of holding out works quite well.
    for those of you whom would enjoy in-depth reporting on the technology of the engine and other components of the new RL try this URL
    http://www.vtec.net/articles/view-article?page_number=1&artic- - le_id=264589
    (You may be required to register first on the vtec.net website before you can view the article...sorry)
    If we are to believe that dyno then the RL's engine produces 90% of peak torque from about 2,100 through 6,600 rpms. Of course, a lot can change going from the flywheel to the tires.
  • dc661dc661 Posts: 71
    A cargo ship carrying 2,862 vehicles from BMW AG, Saab Automobile and Volvo Car sank off the French port of Dunkirk Dec. 17.

The vehicles, including several pre-sold models, are a total loss, published reports say.

The sinking of the Norwegian container ship, Tricolor, happened as a result of a collision between the ship and another container vessel, the Kariba. Both ships were on parallel courses, but one experienced radar problems in heavy fog. The Kariba returned to port but sustained heavy damage.

There were 335 BMW vehicles on board the sunken vessel, all slated to arrive at the Oxnard, CA, port in early to mid-January, reports indicate. The auto maker says it is working with its dealers to identify the intended owners of the affected vehicles, as many of the cars had been pre-sold.

Additionally, 500 Saab vehicles on the ship were destined to arrive at Port Brunswick, GA, on Dec. 26. Most were pre-sold models, although some were part of dealer allocations.

Volvo also is expected to feel some pain from the wreck. The company had 1,800 vehicles on board the ship.

Among them: 350 copies of the new XC90 SUV, all of which were pre-sold. The Volvos were expected to arrive in Newark and in Port Brunswick, GA, in the coming weeks.
  • robertsmxrobertsmx Posts: 5,525
    Thanks! That’s an impressively broad torque curve.
  • ksomanksoman Posts: 590
    haha, ok i was avoiding naming any companies.. but that's the one. The XC90 unveiling was on that container ship if i remember...

ksso
  • shotgunshotgun Posts: 184
    ...Of course, a lot can change going from the flywheel to the tires.

Meaning? A little eduction here please Varmint, thanks.
    I assume he was pointing at drive train loss. But that would be true in any case.
    Yep, I was referring to drive train losses. What you see published in a manufacturer's dyno is often very different from what you get when you put the whole car on the dyno.

Robertsmx is correct about it being true for any automobile. Drive train losses often rob anywhere from 10-20% of the engine's peak output.

But this frequently changes the "shape" of the power curve as well. Take the TSX for example. According to the flywheel measure, the TSX four banger reaches peak torque at 4,500 rpms. But when TOV put the car on a dyno, they found it reaching its at-the-wheels peak at about 2,800.
  • Any good divers on this forum to salvage some brand new water-proof cars?! LOL
    Hmmmmm...was thinking about all that weight...even if they were waterproof! What the hell, musician, the trip over to Dunkirk to make an inspection of the scene could be a gas! (and the inspection would be like watching whale races ;)
  • cericceric Posts: 1,093
    Just got a call from my salesman. He is gonna send me RL brochure today. You may want to check with your salesman if interested.
    I discovered this today… 2005 Acura RL’s SH-AWD has a conceptual predecessor going back to 1991! The Honda FS-X (“FS”: Futuristic Sport) concept…

On The Stage
    On The Road

The AWD system included an early design of the ATTS (later introduced in Prelude) in pretty much the same way that the SH-AWD does. The FS-X system transferred torque front wheels to rear wheels (using AWD system) and side to side on the rear wheels (using ATTS).
  • olneymdolneymd Posts: 14
    Just heard from my acura dealer in MD. His GM just gave the sales staff the MSRP for the 05 RL -- $49,470. Don't know if this includes Freight.

Also got my VIN # for a black/parchment RL to be delivered mid-October.

A bit nervous about being a ginea pig with all of the new technology... and not alot of acura techs trained.
  • carlisimocarlisimo Posts: 1,280
    What could possibly go wrong? =D
    Congratulations Dr....you will not be disappointed!
  • legendmanlegendman Posts: 362
    >Just got a call from my salesman. He is gonna send me RL brochure today<

I'll believe it when you see it.

;-)
  • Based on what I know, from Acura, and what I've read here: $49,470 is NOT considerably or well below $50,000.

On the other hand, the new RL does appear to be of very high value -- but when you are at that price and you aren't BMW or Lexus even, don't you run the risk of (initially, at least) being acused of being just a smidge over-priced?

Looking at a comparably equipped A6, at $51,550 (and this may be a bit unfair since the Audi will only have 255 HP and there is at least some cache [technically] in SH-AWD) I find the hoped for "big difference" in MSRP just has not materialized.

We may argue or debate the merits of each car -- and I will not attempt to resolve this (frankly, despite my Audi bias, the technical pedigree/qualifications of the Acura is/are probably superior), but the "money factor" will certainly be an issue.

It is becoming an issue now less of which one is better rather than which one you like. Most folks think Dark Side of the Moon is the Pink Floyd album they "like" the best, but most of these same folks will also think there are other albums that are "better" musically and technically.

It is equal parts frustrating and fair that I have driven neither the Acura nor the Audi -- so I can say, TODAY, having driven neither: for the same money "~" I'll probably be leaning once again to my comfort zone, Audi.

Now, I still say I will give a fair shake to the Acura RL, the Audi A6 3.2, A4 3.2, and the Chrysler 300C AWD.

My wife swears an Acura TL AWD 6spd manual with DVD-audio and that nifty navigation system would "kill" 'em all.
    Me too! Saw my salesman today..he is back from his RL driving demonstration trip in Chicago ...even if he had the brochures he is not telling me....he indicated in about a week...I can't wait!
    Leaving for Houston soon for 3 weeks. told him I will see and drive the car in person in Houston before I return home to get his promised copy of that d____ brochure!