Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Acura RL

Comments

• cericceric Posts: 1,093
    Just browsed through JDM Legend info and found many options that are available on Legends that are not on RLs.
    - backview camera (dealer-installed in Japan)
    - lane keeping
    - night vision
    - pre-crash(pre-safe)
    - laser cruise control

I dislike the fact that Japanese always keep the best in JDM and let US have the 2nd rated cars.
  • robertsmxrobertsmx Posts: 5,525
    Backview camera is available in MDX for two(?) years, so it shouldn't have been a big deal in the RL. Perhaps it will be added as an MMC as could couple of other things (Intelligent Cruise Control and CMS).

As for night vision and LKAS, they could potentially push the price quite a bit.
  • rroyce10rroyce10 Posts: 9,359
    ...... That must be some math course your taking, except they forgot a few Itsy Bitsy items .. the cost of "doing and staying" in business.

Small stuff like workmans comp, the lights, the heat and air, property taxes, parts inventory, payroll taxes, office staff, gas, water, security, service building, employee benefits, salaries, commissions, liability insurance, floorplan, advertising, property maintenance, inventory control, service costs and lets not forget the price of the property and the mortgage payment, etc etc.com .. most dealers are trying to survive on a 3/7% net net profit ~ 41/410% ..? .. maybe on Saturn, tell me when the next flight leaves ..l.o.l....

Most import stores are not high volume stores .. so they survive on what they have, being a Ford/Chevy dealer and selling 400/450 units is a big difference than the average Acura store that sells 90/110 vehicles a month - new and used ............. ;)

Terry.
  • rroyce10rroyce10 Posts: 9,359
    ....... The back-up beep beep should have been made standard on the RL's, they been standard for years on the big SUV's and a superb feature .....

Terry.
  • What about the ventilated seats? Has anyone heard if they are going to be offered in the US?
  • cericceric Posts: 1,093
    I agree. I guess Acura reserve some "extra" to introduce into RL as standard in a couple years. Mid-model refreshing. However, it always makes it tough to decide whether to wait a couple years or jump into it now.

Have you guys seen the Mugen RL? The body kits and wheels are pretty nice.
  • jrock65jrock65 Posts: 1,371
    To me, the biggest oversight on the RL is the lack of height-adjustability on the passenger seat. A $50k luxury sedan should have at least an 8 way power passenger seat. Heck, just put in manual controls at least. The ability to control the height of the seat could make a huge difference in comfort for the passenger, especially on long trips. As far as I know, every car in this class has or will have this feature. Even the $35k ES330 has it.

Also, does anyone know whether the passenger seatback heats up? It does not heat up in any new Honda/Acura out there. They cite some interference with the side airbag, but apparently every other company has found a way to work aroudnd this problem. Instead of "heated front seats", they should call it "1.5 heated front seats."

Just personal annoyances with an otherwise fine car.
  • varmintvarmint Posts: 6,326
    Other manufacturers "get around" the issue by not using the extra airbags. Hondas and Acuras at this price point have both seat-mounted bags and curtain style airbags. Most other manufacturers use only the curtain bags.

I agree that it's annoying, but my personal preference is to place safety above bun-warmers.
  • legendmanlegendman Posts: 362
    >Also, does anyone know whether the passenger seatback heats up?<

If you you mean the front seat, yes. That's noted in the new '05 RL brochure.
  • jrock65jrock65 Posts: 1,371
    I thought all the other manufacturers (Infiniti, BMW, MB, Lexus, Audi) all used both seat mounted and curtain airbags.
    Nice write-up on the RL by Automobile Magazine. It's on their web site.
  • bwiabwia Boston Posts: 1,059
    I just watched a review of the RL on the PBS show MotorWeek. http://www.pbs.org/mpt/motorweek/carofthemonth.shtml

Man the new RL is some car. According to John Davis…it has a new kind of all wheel drive system that Acura calls &#147;Super-Handling All-Wheel Drive&#148;, or SH-AWD. It has active headlights that steer light around corners and the hi-tech 3.5-liter V-6 five-speed automatic (with manual mode) puts out an even 300-horsepower, 75 more than before.
  • ksomanksoman Posts: 590
    Their first statement reads:
    The Acura RL now becomes one of those unanticipated wonder cars from Japan.
    ksso
    "Sure there were BMWs and Mercedes at the rally but the two most interesting luxury vehicles were the all new Land Rover LR3 and Acura RL. I was more impressed with the RL because of its power, handling and refinement but the LR3 is a greatly improved vehicle and is one of the quietest and best driving SUVs I&#146;ve tested.

We&#146;ll start with the RL and its total overhaul in 2005.

The first question a lot of people will ask is if it&#146;s as luxurious as the Germans or even Lexus. The answer is yes. I found the RL nicer than most Lexus models and it has more of a plush feel than the Germans. Everything was nice to the touch from the rubberized buttons and shift paddles on the steering wheel to the iDrive-esque center stack. But my favorite part was the ice blue glowing gauge cluster that seemed almost front lit. The effect was drastic, unique and attractive. Did I mention the car handled like no other?

All the hype about the SH-AWD or Super Handling AWD is well earned. On one great twisty suburban road (which would be a staple in every test for the rest of the day) the RL shined. The roads were wet but the tires never lost an inch of grip and I couldn&#146;t feel any body lean. As a luxury car the RL has an excellent feel for the road and I think offers a real option for those who dislike the looks of the new BMWs and Mercedes."
  • shotgunshotgun Posts: 184
    Legendman - Your impression of the colors..?
  • hadhad Posts: 32
    Well.

I will le you know on he colors this or next week.

Delivery date.... 9/14

I have a pearl White (which I had on the previous RL(2000)
    Hard to say -- cannot tell much by the brochure -- it was heavily airbrushed. Of course I will have to see it in person but as of now I am leaning toward the silver -- perhaps the celestial.

I guess we don't have long to wait ... they arrive this week!
  • aclcaclc Posts: 20
    How effective are the backup sensors? Has anyone driven a TL with the backup sensors?