Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Acura RL

Comments

• the browser displayed double posts then there was only one. ?????
  • What have we told you about hallucinogens?
  • New cars will no longer "ping" when using lower octane gas. The computer detects this, and retards the timing to prevent pinging, so pinging is no longer a guide to the correct gas to use.

The problem is that if the car is designed to use 93 and you run it on 87, the retarded timing gives you less power and worse gas mileage. My car mileage jumped from 19-21 mpg to 24-26 by switching to premium.

By doing the math, you can see that the % of mpg increase is greater than the % of cost increase, so your cost per mile can actually be less with premium.
  • Has anyone with a 1996 RL experienced an intermittent "knock" from the engine/transmission area near the firewall/floor when the car is changes momentum (i.e, when accelerating from a stop, releasing the accelerator, or shifting at low-speeds) ?
    After 4 service visits to the dealer, they can't pinpoint the problem and want to convince me that all RLs have a "faint knock" like this. The dealer doesnt think the engine or transmission mounts could go bad on a low-mileage RL.
  • retnavretnav Posts: 25
    For (phil4vers4) at post 17: The chattering rattles were very frustrating. Some days they would not perform. At first I thought they might be heat related. Then they would perform on any kind of surface, but as I mentioned in a previous post ( around 334) when I took it to the dealer it would almost never perform. It wasn't until I tape recorded it and drove around with the mechanic (when one day it made a slight little chatter) that he was able to deal with it. I was surprised they were able to find it and apprently fix it. Had they not I probably would have sold the car with less then 3000 miles on it which would have made me sick and my wife an absolute raving lunatic. But as I mentioned before the dealer worked very hard to remedy the problem. I personally have never had a difficult Acura dealer problem, they all have been very responsive except for one who insists on using 10W30 oil in the winter, when Acura recommends 5W30. I just didn't continue to have him change the oil from September to April. Hope you can get your problem repaired. Again, My dealer is Pohanka Acura in Chantilly, VA. Best regards.
  • Did anyone else hear that Acura is supposed to reintroduce the "Legend" name badge for 2002? From what I've heard, The current outdated sluggish 3.5 RL is supposed to be replaced by a sleek european styled V8 Legend. An 8 cyl. Honda engine? That rocks! The only bad thing that I've heard is the price tag may top $70,000 fully loaded. That's a bit steep for all of those Legend owners who haven't given up their 2nd generation Legends because there's still nothing out there like them. At least Acura's flagship can finally compete with the new LS430 and the Europeans. Now all they need is a Legend coupe!
  • marsha7marsha7 Posts: 3,673
    I hope you are right, my 88 Legend was the best car I have ever owned, ever. What we all seem to hope for is that the V8 puts out 350hp, at $70,000 but the "cheaper" V6 version (are you listening, Acura?) is about the current RL price, but with only a "mere" 265-290hp. Would be nice, eh?
  • jeff88jeff88 Posts: 94
    I know, I know, but sometimes I just can't help myself.

automophile - Thanks, that makes sense. I do a lot of high speed highway driving, averaging between 75 & 85 mph and a bit of around town driving in traffic. Lately have been getting just north of 21 mpg with 93 octane. Sounds about right to me.
  • rumorrumor Posts: 13
    Please...lets keep our comparison apples to apples. The current RL is a bonafide BARGAIN!
    This car does not even pretend to compete against
    LS400. The RL may even be "sluggish" but I would
    not call it slow. There is not one car in todays
    market that can compete against the RL for the money. According to Acura, RL stands for
    "road luxury". Anyone who has driven/owned an
    RL would agree that Acura has hit its mark with
    this car. I only wish this car got more respect.
  • You said it better than I could & I agree with you, dollar for dollar, there is nothing available that can compete with the RL, that is why I hope they leave at a v6 & FWD
  • jwilson1jwilson1 Posts: 956
    Sorry the absolute superiority of the RL is not as clear to me. I love the fwd, but I'm still stuck on the A6 as a possible option as I look around. Even the Acura website pulls up a comparison of the two that shows them dead even, even in cost if equipped similarly.

Take care.
    Joe W>
  • rumorrumor Posts: 13
    you've got to be kiddin me! A6, get to know
    your local Audi service department well...you
    will be spending alot of time there! Then maybe
    we can refresh your memory on the superiority
    of the RL. Don't get me wrong, German cars
    are great, but reliability is not a strong point
    with most of there cars.
  • Just some food for thought - fall of 2002 is the planned release date of the RL with the V8. I have to agree with most of the posts - my father has a 99 RL and must say the engine is a bit of a disappointment. It overshadows all of the positives that the car has - great sound system, minimal road noise, style, etc....the real question is going to be the price tag of the RL with the V8. My relative is with corporate Honda and, hold on to your seats, he indicated a possible price tag of around 60K. The price of progress. I'm considering one with a V8 but will have to see. Anyhow, a lot of info regarding the future products of Hona and Acura can be found at www.vtec.net. Thanks.
  • Grogman1,

Are you sure Fall of 2002? Is it already decided whether to offer RWD or FWD or AWD?
  • I did a little more research and here's what I came up with. The $70,000 "Legend" that I aforementioned is the V8 AWD with every conceivable option including NAV. There is also a FWD only car. I hope I'm getting my info correct. I'm not bashing the current RL and wasn't comparing the RL to any other car. I just stated that now Acura can compete with the LS430 with the new RL/Legend or whatever the car is supposed to be called. I still say we need a Legend Coupe and for as much as I like the CL-S, it's no Legend Coupe. For the record, I drive a 2000 TL and a 99 Integra GS-R.
  • l943973l943973 Posts: 197
    I currently drive a 99RL and the performance is acceptable. They don't have to put in a V8, but a V6 with more power would be nice. If they can get 260hp out of 3.2L, I would be happy with 300hp out of 3.5L :-)

70k is a bit steep, but if Acura sticks to their philosophy of bringing value priced cars, I can't wait to see what a car for that price offers.
  • My mistake on the date of release of the V8 in the RL. If you look at the Matrix on Vtec.net it indicates a Fall 2000 rollout and that it will be a RWD. Since we havn't seen anything yet, your guess is as good as mine. I spoke with the local Acura dealer but they were unsure and didn't seem to want to talk about it, as they had more than a few RL's to unload. Also, word is that the future Legend will be a Honda product.
  • 23 of 47: NO NEW RL until 2003/2004 (alexalee1) Wed 27 Sep '00 (11:45 AM)

According to the Automotive News, issue from 2 - 3
    weeks ago, Acura IS STILL DECIDING this year
    whether or not to offer the next RL with a front or
    rear wheel drive, and the next RL won't come up
    until 2003/2004 model year.

The reason is, dealers in the snow country don't
    want the next RL to be RWD.

To me, this is a long wait. Why don't they offer
    4WD like Audi. This will solve the dilemma, and
    won't make me defect to Lexus.

However, who knows, I am still hoping that maybe
    they will show the next RL at the Paris show the
    end of September. Honda is always full of
    surprises.
    =====

Well..., Paris show is over, and no new RL from Honda. Note: In the U.S., it will continually be called RL, not Legend. I based this info from some magazines I read, plus the new Integra that will be shown next January will change name to alphanumeric.
  • marsha7marsha7 Posts: 3,673
    can you get the 4.2 with 2 wheel drive, or must it come with AWD? Seems that AWD results in a dramatic decrease in mpg, doesn't it? The 2.7T has enough HP (250) but the turbo is just one more thing to break, then the HP drops down. Can't Audi make a 250-275 hp V6 w/o a turbo?
  • Just for the record, the RL model is called the Honda Legend in every country except for the U.S. and Canada where they are called Acura RL's instead. I heard that they decided to drop the name because so many uninformed people did not realize that a Legend was an Acura as opposed to perhaps Lexus or another brand. I have had no dissappointments with my '00 RL purchase. I bought it back in March of this year and could not be more pleased. By the way, I traded in a '93 Lexus LS400 for the 3.5RL and so far have received much more value for the dollars spent. I have also received many comments saying that the styling of the front grille and rear tail lights are more impressive looking than Lexus models! I especially like my Navigation system which I think might be made by Alpine. As far as a '02 RL major change I have heard that Acura was going to concentrate on the Integra replacement first before coming out with a new RL so my guess is '03 despite what the vtec.com website may say. My wife and I are already planning to sell our Mercedes M Class in 2 years and purchase the new MDX that we have been reading about. Has anyone seen one on the road yet? I heard they were just released.
  • Acura could easily improve the power of the RL's V-6. They could add the Variable Resonance Intake System that is used in the 3.2 V-6 that powers the CL Type S. By doing so I would guess that the RL would then have about 245 horsepower and about 240 lb. ft. of torque. Then again it would probably be easier just to put in the MDX's engine which already produces 240 HP. I don't plan on owning an RL but as an Acura fan I believe they need to spice it up a little so that they don't lose all of their sales before the new model comes.
  • I am considering buying a 1996 3.5RL from a friend. It is the standard (not premium) with 57,000 miles and it has never been wrecked or damaged. It is in beautiful condition and he will part with it for $18,800. Any opinions on the price?

I have always owned Hondas and am ready for a better ride but cautious about buying the first year of a new model. Also, the owners manual says to replace the timing belt at 60,000 miles. Is this necessary so early?
  • jwilson1jwilson1 Posts: 956
    I'm looking at several new cars, including the RL and the TL from Acura. While I've been reading this topic for awhile, I've never seen anyone discuss the two ...

I realize the TL is more "fun" to drive, and the RL is more of a cruiser, but I'm wondering what you folk think -- the $10,000+ difference is quite a bit of money. And that's okay, if there's a significant difference in value ... but I don't see it ... I'm assuming you folks think the RL is the better buy, or you wouldn't have purchased one ... what factors do you think make it superior to the TL?

Thanks for your opinions!

Take care.
    Joe W.
  • Joe,

I also went through the same decision process recently. My previous vehicle was a 98 Toyota Avalon XLS which I really enjoyed, but I had continuous warranty repairs which never seemed to end.

The advantages that I saw in favor of the TL were:
    1. More powerful engine
    2. Larger trunk
    3. Generally same interior dimensions as RL
    4. about 10K cheaper, although it was almost imposible to negotiate any worth while discount off sticker.

Advantages for RL:
    1. Standard CD Changer
    2. Better Stereo
    3. Standard Fog Lamps
    4. Auto dimming rearview miror
    5. Power tilt/telescopic steering wheel
    6. Larger screen for navigation system

Are the advantages of the RL worth an extra 10k, probbly not, but in the end I choose the RL because I liked the overall exterior styling as compared to the TL. Some may say that 10k is a big price difference and I agree, but I plan to keep the car for about 7 years and if I enjoy the car seven years from now as much as I enjoy it today, I feel that I have got my moneys worth. Good luck, either way you will be getting a great vehicle at a very reasonable price hen compared to the competition.
  • Said it better than I could!!!
  • We decided to take the TL last year, but in retrospect, I should have bought the RL instead.

Our decision at the time was because:
    1. Wife thinks RL is too big (only < 4 inches longer, actually).
    2. I like the TL more sporty ride.
    3. I thought that RL will be replaced in January '2000.

I always like the RL styling better than the TL. Plus, the TL has been having small annoying problems here and there (mostly rattle, poor fit and finish, cheap material quality, etc.). But, $ 10 K savings is a $ 10 K, so, I am okay with the decision. I treat the TL as just a car to go from A to B, and a bit step up from a Honda Accord.

Now, regarding the advantages of the RL.
    1. You can buy after market CD Changer for around $ 200.
    2. Most likely true, but, I haven't tried the RL stereo, the TL has wimpy bass.
    3. Very true, if only for aesthetic purpose only. TL needs fog lamps to complete the front look.
    4. TL has an inside auto dimming rear view mirror too.
    6. Really? I didn't know that.

Now some more advantages to the RL:
    1. Tilt adjustable front headrest.
    2. Real wood interior.
    3. Pull type outside door handles (I considered this type as safer, in an emergency, as paramedics get more leverage to open the stuck door).
    4. VSA.
    5. You see less RL on the street than TL.
    6. Better fit and finish, still made in Japan.
    7. Etc.
  • rubicon52rubicon52 Posts: 191
    I leased a 2000 RL almost exactly one month ago. My decision was partly based on the good reliability ratings the RL received in Consumers Report. In the month since I picked up my car, I've had use of a car for exactly TWO DAYS. In that month I've actually had two vehicles - the original vehicle and a replacement vehicle. Both have spent most of their time in the shop. I don't know how representative my experience if of Acura/Honda products, but I do see a lot of forums about "Honde problems, Accord problems, etc." If you read these forums, the general theme seems to be that Honda products today are not built as well as they used to be. In any case, one of the drawbacks of basing a buying decision on published reliability data is that the data describe the product of several years ago, not the product you're buying.
  • I have said this before, but I have had absolutely no problems with my 2000 Acura RL - Sebring Silver with Navigation. I bought my new RL in April of this year based on the good reliability ratings the RL received in Consumer Reports, Edmunds, Motor Trend, Car & Driver, JD Power & Associates, etc. I have had the vehicle for 6 months and I'm so happy that I chose this vehicle. I have received so many comments on the exterior styling and the tail lights, front grille, overall appearance, etc. I would recommend this car to anyone. The only and the only problem that I have come across is that the power seat buttons are hard to use when the door is closed. Otherwise it's a great buy. I do recommend the Navigation system.
  • My 2000 3.5 RL Navi is the best & most trouble free new car that I have owned & it is #59 new car or truck that I have purchased, it is the first one that was built across the water!!