Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Acura RL

Comments

• bodble2bodble2 Posts: 4,519
    I've never heard of such a device. But to be honest, even if there is one, it would likely be less expensive for you to simply do an upgrade to a Bluetooth phone with whichever cell phone service you're with.

(Remember when they sold adaptors for 8-track players to play cassettes?)
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,825
    On November 1 (or the eve of Oct 31, whenever I remember), this entire discussion will be transferred into the existing one here:
    Acura RL
    PLEASE bookmark this discussion now, since this one won't exist after the transfer.

That way, this conversation can continue just as it is now - the only difference will be a slight URL modification! I've put this note in the discussion header as well, in the hopes of notifying as many members possible.

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• varmintvarmint Posts: 6,326
    Well written, Mark.

For my part, Honda/Acura has left a similar impression on my buying trends. The ownership experience with my first Honda was a radical departure from my prior experience with a Ford, a few Subarus, two Mazdas, and a (terrible) Chevy. I learned that simple things make a difference. Perhaps I wasn't paying enough attention with earlier cars (I'm not old enough to claim decades of experience), but my first Honda really changed what I expect from a car.

I love not being on a first name basis with a mechanic.

I appreciate effective engine technology (FWIW, I consider VW/Audi the second most inventive company in this regard.)

I now consider ergonomics more important than styling.

I'll take a powerful, clean, and fuel efficient engine over one that provides the same power, yet sacrifices efficiency for more torque.

The things Honda and Acura ownership has taught me do not exclude other brands. I'd buy a Mazda 3 over a Honda Civic (though maybe not a Civic hybrid). But I look for these "Honda-like" qualities whenever I consider a car.
  • prophet2prophet2 Posts: 372
    Acura offered some in recent years although I never actually received any in the mail. Perhaps they were limited to leases. My colleague did apply one when he leased an Integra in 2000.

He has to contend with his wife who will not consider a Honda - she wants the "A" logo on the hood, not the "H." According to him, it's all my fault. I showed up at his place when I got my new '86 Legend, then later told him about an immaculate Legend w/6300 miles traded in for a Mazda RX-7. I took them down to "just look;" they drove it home a few hours later. It was even in "her" color. Presently, he has an '03 TL-S, she drives an '04 TSX, and the spare car is a '90 Integra.

The Ford 500 only gets 208 hp from a V-6. No attraction for me despite the $20,000 price advantage.
  • jhk_dbjhk_db Posts: 25
    There are bluetooth headset adaptors for non-bluetooth phones - that may or may not be what you are looking for. Jabra makes one called Jabra Freespeak; I think Motorola makes one as well. On ebay, you can get various versions of the Jabra for $50-$65.
  • bobb1bobb1 Posts: 22
    How true, my wife and I have been together 28 years and I have followed your course of actions. Actually learned it from my dad. Yes it costs on occasion, like a recent 9 carat tennis bracelet presented on our 25th while flying to England but you hit the nail on the head here. I had no issues when announcing my purchase and a few add-ons too. Take note you young guys - happiness just costs money AND consideration!!!!
  • bobb1bobb1 Posts: 22
    Motorola makes one for about $30 but I just got a new Erickson for $49 with camera and color screen. It is on the RL recommended list - there is a wide choice. Go for broke get a phone...
  • bodble2bodble2 Posts: 4,519
    There you go!
  • Hi to everyone,

I was struck to see the significant number of new postings that seem to grow with exponential pace! This is rendering quite difficult my choice of which are the most significant to address when they evoke my impulse to reply.....

So after diligently reading as many of them as I could manage I stopped here (I will thoug meander toward other ones later on). This post has struck me has having the rare quality of being 'inspired' by a genuine gift of linking one's own personal matters/feelings with other held to be sharing similar values.

If over-interpreting jjacura intentions, I still was pervaded by the impression of dialogueing with a friend baring his toughts to me. And I was struck because for this and other posts I suddenly have realized that something in me has totally appreciated this forum and developed a bond of friendship with many of you.

So jjacura let me recommend dearly that you go and get yourself that new RL you want and that I am sure you (and your wife) will enjoy immensely. After all, you have taken your responsabilties in becoming the man you wanted to be, the father and the husband that has pitched in and there is nothing wrong in getting yourself a nice present now and then. I totaly agree with that advertising campaign the instructed that 'what is important is not the final destination but how we got there' and I would add 'the state of mind you have enjoyed getting there'. So I would conclude that for many of us putting an RL in our driveways/parking spots etc would be the tonic just to accomplish that and as we boost our enthusiam for life and all it has to offer we can fend off those, sometime enslaving, all so rationale processes by which we deny ourselves essential gratifications.
    In other words life it is too short to pass on occasion such as this, go on get your RL.

Going to other topics. Can somebody explain me why markcincynnati got picked and put in hot seat? OK he is an Audi enthusiast, so what's wrong with that? I believe he has always posted excellent comments/thoughts and most importantly has reminded us that indeed the new RL is not and will not be the only luxury sedan on the market with excellent pedigree/performance/styleing etc. In fact, we owe him a debt of gratitude if anything. Think to the Acura exec reading throughout these postings and then discussing how much we will have to pay for getting our RL! Well with Mark on board the result has been ~$49,000, without Mark it could have been a couple Ks higher (OK, OK Mark is not the only market force in setting the price but you got my point, he has helped in moderating our 'highs' and directed us to be more realistic).

OK so my final conclusion is all but that of thanking all of you, the tech gurus, the gentlemen, the admittedly not so young, the green ones etc, I truly enjoyed the ride in your company......and I will buzz in once I get to my next destination ('07 RL?).
    Well may be a little earlier than that.
    Truly,

Steve

P.S. I decided to identify groups rather than individual Posters because this message was already getting a bit too long without writing down 2 more pages of names. You know who I am referring to just the same!
  • prophet2prophet2 Posts: 372
    How true, how true! Some of you guys need to loosen the purse strings once in awhile.

My "better half" seemingly has little use for trinkets, I gave her an exquisite sapphire and diamond necklace several years ago. She wore it at a dinner party I hosted a few weeks ago - there were inquiries by several of the other women there. It reflected well on me.

One of my requirements is that a vehicle look good when driven by the women in the family. I can't say that an Aztek fills the bill, but the RL undoubtedly will ........
  • jjacurajjacura Posts: 808
    Thanks Steve....I appreciate your encouragement. In fact I re-thought the whole idea of settling for the RL. Tomorrow I am heading to Bentley Dealer. ;-)
    Just Kidding!
  • sacguysacguy Posts: 27
    FYI.....both cars are in high demand and are selling for full MSRP.....I talked to Audi today and the earliest I can get one is to order now for January delivery. Now I have to see how long for the RL and drive both of them......FYI,,, the pricing is amazingly similar, with a few minor tradeoffs in options for both...
    The Acura RL, competitor to the A6, is priced at $49,990.00, when you add the 18" wheels and back-up sensor, it is $51,300.00. The comparably equipped A6 is $51,270.00. The prices are virtually the same for comparable vehicles!
  • Please, it is just a little insulting to think that I asked this question without considering getting a Bluetooth phone. Ditching my $500 phone/PDA combo is just not an option right now.

Ok, I'll keep looking.

Oh, and love my new RL by the way.
  • Acura RL vs. Audi A6 - similar "bells and whistles", but COMPLETELY different on the road! The A6 looks and handles like a luxury vehicle, impressive drive like the A8. As for the RL, I felt like I really had to grasp the wheel when driving over rough roads--it just didn't feel stable.

But my recommendation - test drive the RL, the A6, and the A8L. The goal - compare the handling of all 3 cars, but especially try out the air suspension in the A8L (very fun!) THEN, wait until Spring when the A6 will offer the air suspension too--if it is anything like A8L, it may be worth the wait.

Oh, and for the "bells and whistles" - the MMI on the A6 is far superior in simplicity and more modern in the appearance on the screen. Also, the "zoom-in" and "zoom-out" feature transitions flawlessly (no wait-time in the transition). It looks just like it does in the commercial you find on the Audi website. However, I am disappointed about Audi discontinuing On-Star.
  • sacguysacguy Posts: 27
    Kristicar, what exactly does the air suspension do, I know it raises and lowers the car, but what did it do to the ride (harder, softer, etc) and handling? I know the base price is increasing in January, not sure I want to spend any more, so your opinion would be great. Also, was the A6 harsher in ride than the RL, noisier inside or anything else you noticed?
  • Although the new A6 is a very nice, Audi's reliablity record is very very poor. Why spend the same amount of money on a car that is only going to last half as long.
  • The current air suspension is not to be confused with active suspension [real time]. The air suspension has several settings, 3 or 4, I can't remember off the top. The entire car is raised and lowered based on a command given by the driver or if left in auto mode, based on road speed. As the car lowers, for example, the springs are compressed, the car's cd lowers and generally both the handling and the ride become tighter.

I do like the air suspension, however, my test drive experience with Cadillac tells me that MagnaRide would be preferable (for me), as it is an electronic system that can adjust the shock absorbers up to 1,000 times per second. MagnaRide then, is more or less a real-time system whereas the air suspension system used by Audi is simply "active" (but not real-time in the sense that MagnaRide is).

The suspension that I, admittedly, know little about, but based on what I know would be "a great compromise" is the one that was on the short-lived Audi RS6 (dual diagonal "passive real-time" control of the shocks); this system would almost prevent body roll in cornering.

I would suspect that SH-AWD and one form or another of an adaptive suspension (and perhaps a somewhat stiffer suspension, based on the comments posted here) would be formidable.

Still, with only reading as my guide, it appears that the Acura is "tuned" on the lux side of the equation and the Audi is tuned to the sport side (translated = some folks may find the Audi a harsh ride compared with the Acura RL).

Had Cadillac not priced the STS w/AWD so high, perhaps the STS with AWD and MagnaRide would have been today's achievement of the Holy Grail of balance between luxury and sport. At that price, I will not be shopping for the STS.

But, when you've got what will probably be a $50,000 Acura and Audi and perhaps a $43,000 Chrysler 300C AWD to fully examine, hmmm -- as I said, it is the golden age to be in the market for a car. . .don't you think? Or don't you?
  • mevandemevande Posts: 190
    I have been reading the RL "threads" here (2005). I have an 1999 BMW 740i with 38,000 miles. Its paid for:). The BMW has been more reliable than any Acura I have had (3.. 89 Legend coupe red!, a 1992 Acura Legend and a 1995 Acura Legend "GS".. GS was a blast and best "Acura" yet in my opinion). No doubt there is allot of cool technology in the new RL. However, the cars seems rather ordinary in appearance. Its not a head turner. I don't need a car that IS a head turner, but at least want some "prestige" when shelling out 50K for an Acura. The Acura seems to lack "cachet". Any opinions on this "subjective" subject?

Mike
  • I tend to agree with kristicar. I have yet to drive the A6 3.2 but the 4.2 did feel a lot tighter than the RL. At the same time it felt more sluggish (weight?) and certainly noisier (engine sound on acceleration was very noticeable).
    Can any RL driver tell me about 4 things that bother me with the RL:
    - no ledge to put yr left arm by the drivers window. Did anybody notice?
    - foot brake gets in the way of left foot when resting
    - rear middle seat is so elevated no one can spend much time there, even little kids
    - XM did not sound so fabulous on sound system. I have an Allroad and XM sounds truly CD quality, whereas it sounded more like FM on the RL.

Thx for the feedback
  • jrock65jrock65 Posts: 1,371
    If you're looking for "cachet", you're not going to find it in an Acura.

However, some people could give a rat's *ss about cachet.