Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Acura RL

Comments

• (the purchase price helps in the bottom line consideration.)

As does the length of time you plan to keep it, of course. I tend to keep my cars for six or seven years so an extended warranty makes more sense for me.
  • jjacurajjacura Posts: 808
    Nebraska Guy
    At this point in time I haven't decided how long I will keep the RL but I'd be inclined to say if I do decide to keep the car and did flip that coin it would be heads YOU win, tails I lose. :P Do you know the cutoff date to purchase an RL extended warranty? I understand AAA offers extended warranties also...maybe I should check with them as well.
    JJ
    ( PS. The Wisconsin Badgers pulled off an incredible last minute win today in Minnesota!! at this time the Cornhuskers are beating Baylor 10 to 7 (2nd quarter)
  • boikoboiko Posts: 82
    Does anyone have an info on just when the 2006 RL's will be available..?

Since you can already see used 2005 RL's showing up on cars.com for under $36-37K..it's a good bet they will drop slightly once the 06's are out.

My thinking - If you live in a state like New Hampshire (or any snow/winter state) why buy a TL when you might soon start to see $32-35K - used 05 AWD RL's with not too many miles on them..
  • I really want the RL now, but my lease on my Audi does not expire until the end of 2006. I actually like the way the RL looks. The exterior is clean and elegant. The interior is beautiful and very modern looking. I'm at an age where I like a quiet, smooth, and comfortable car. Besides, if I wanted a sporty ride, I'd drive my wife's 2005 G35 coupe w/ 19" wheels. It's very fast and rides kind of hard but fun. The sound system in it is only ok, not as sweet as the RL.
    The 2006 RL will be at the dealers toward the END of the month, I was told by the dealer again today.

I picked up the RL today after the 3 updates and the first thing I had to do was reset my XM preset buttons. :) Then as I left the dealer the first thing I noticed was the smoothness in the movement of the transmission through the gears. My car heretofore would also feel drag under say 25 to 30 mph...that's gone. I thought it might have had something to do with the SH AWD...but apparently the PCM update eliminated whatever was creating it. It's a good feeling. LMBRL to my friend Acuraphile....and "Hope to hear from you soon buddy"
  • tayl0rdtayl0rd Posts: 1,938
    ...you can already see used 2005 RL's showing up on cars.com for under $36-37K. ...

Wow, that's a pretty steep depreciation hit in one year for a $50K car!! :surprise: So much for that "Honda value" thing. Then again, a large margin of consumers felt it was overpriced to begin with. If what the lady mentioned a few days ago about finding a brand new '05 for $40K is true, I might have to look into it again. I've recently come to not need as much rear seat room as before. I just have to try to get used to the overly subdued exterior styling.
    TayIOrd...where have you been? Sorry to hear you don't need as much room as before and hope that was not a negative event in your life. I think your opinion on the design of this superior automobile will change. . It will grow on you particularly when you get a chance to be spoiled by all the positives that lay in store for you. Yes, It's a Honda all grown up in it's elitetest state! :)
  • tayl0rdtayl0rd Posts: 1,938
    There hasn't been anything "unfortunate" happen in my life. My friends are just too afraid to ride with me. :blush: I like to enjoy my driving experience rather than just tool along from points A to B. Whereas they just like to poke along. Or it could be one of those control things where they like to drive fast, but only if they're driving. :confuse: I like going fast whether I'm driving or not. The one thing I don't like is darting in and out of traffic.

Anyway, the RL has a fabulous roster of goodies, albeit some of them are a bit buggy, and the interior is top notch. However, the other half and I both still feel the exterior is a bit laid back. It just doesn't have that road presence like cars of its class should have. We're finally starting to see more of them on the road (after a year!) and we haven't much changed our opinions. But I'm willing to give anything the benefit of a doubt, from Kia to Bentley.
  • msu79gt82msu79gt82 Posts: 541
    Wow, that's a pretty steep depreciation hit in one year for a $50K car!! So much for that "Honda value" thing. Then again, a large margin of consumers felt it was overpriced to begin with.

I am one of those who felt the '05 RL was way overpriced. Unlike the MDX and the TL (I have owned both, and still have an MDX), I could never bring myself to consider the RL a "best-bang-for-the-buck" car that I associate with being an Acura.

BTW: There are apparantly no significant changes to the '06 (apart from optional Tech Package); thus I do not see how the '06 will be able to go for much more than low-mid $40s. If I can get an '05 today for under $40 (and I can) then why pay more than $43-44 for an '06 :confuse:

IF '06s are going for ~$44 in a few months THEN '05s will be worth no more than mid-$30s :blush:
  • stevef4stevef4 Posts: 12
    whos is selling new 05 for under 40?? Would make for a killer lease
    with thier captive lease special
    I was specifically referring to the cars.com post I replied to. However other forums (e.g. acurazine) are reporting sales in the upper $39s.
  • stevef4stevef4 Posts: 12
    can you please share with me the dealers name in Socal with that pricing
    Im ready to pull trigger now on new RL
  • Metro Acura in Montclair gave me the low price of $41000 and then I talked him into $40,800. Many of the other dealers matched the price. I finally bought the car at Weir Canyon Acura in Anaheim Hills. You can also get that price in other parts of Orange County.
  • I bought the car on Friday, but it has not left the dealership. They put a new wood steering wheel on knob on the car. When I got there on Monday, the wood steering wheel did not match the wood on the dashboard. The grain pattern was similar, but the wood is a redwood. I am very disappointed. They got another steering wheel in today and it is still redwood. They called the parts warehouse and told them to see if they could send a brown wood steering wheel. The parts warehouse said they never had that problem before. I will get one more steering wheel tomorrow. Can you look at your wood steering wheel and let me know if it matches?

The wood knob is at least in the same family of colors. Although it is burlwood (swirly) and the wood grain on the dash is straight lines. It does not match exactly but it blends. I am really worried about the red steering wheel.
  • Hi Steve,

Make sure you talk to only the Internet Managers at the dealerships. You can get their names and numbers from Acura.com. In case if you don't live in the area, try zip code 92806.
  • diesel3diesel3 Posts: 18
    after months of research and deciding which car to get, i decided to get the 05 RL. I think i got a good price, especially in NY. MSRP 41,500. It is a lease so am i paying 569 a month, with 2500 out of pocket which includes everything. I couldnt get them to come down and every other dealer in NY is out of stock. I was going to get the celestial silver, which i call platinum, and the dealer told me there is a scratch on the bumper. I dont want any other color. They will fix it, but what can they do for me in return? lower payment, or maybe a spoiler? thanks alot
  • jeffp1jeffp1 Posts: 7
    In order to make sure you like the car, you need to test drive, which means you are interacting with (and taking up the time of) a salesperson. Often, this person is not the internet manager. Do you continue to deal with your "test drive" person, or do you switch, especially if the internet person can give a better deal? I want to be fair since they work on commission, but also want the best deal.
    You are being thoughtful and considerate but once you establish a price anyone at the dealership should be able to assist you on a test drive including the general manager (I rode with the GM at my dealership because my salesman was unavailable at the time.) I'm grinning a little because you sound very excited and a little anxious to firm up that price in advance. Can't blame you. :D
    In order to make sure you like the car, you need to test drive, which means you are interacting with (and taking up the time of) a salesperson. Often, this person is not the internet manager.
    :confuse: Every internet manager I have ever dealt with let me test drive the car. I've never had to go to another salesman for a test drive.
  • I normally test drive the car only with the internet sales manager. I either go directly to the dealerships receptionist and ask for the internet dept or I call before I get there. When you test drive with the retail sales department, you risk having to pay the higher price. I learned that the hard way at the Lexus dealership. I ended up buying the RL instead of the GS300 so it did not matter anyway.
  • Did not see this when searching the forum so apologies of it has already been mentioned. Acura has finally updated their website with the 2006 RL pricing and options. Not much more than has been discussed here about the Technology Package but at least you can see the official details of the package AND the price - ouch! $53,100 for the RL with Tech Pkg. Not that anyone would honestly pay that MSRP for it. Just wanted to share.
    The new Horsepower is 290. Interesting.
    Horsepower is unchanged from 2005. Acura began following the new SAE standards for their '06 lineup.
    ... at least you can see the official details of the package AND the price - ouch! $53,100 for the RL with Tech Pkg.

Actually an '06 RL with Tech and Rear-Camera will MRSP at $54,210 :surprise:

Compare that to the fully loaded M35x (Premium, FSS) at $54,570.
    Note that this exceeds the RL equipment list (Premium includes rear DVD w/ rear heated and reclining seats).

What was Acura thinking? :confuse: Or perhaps they weren't :blush:
    That's why it is interesting. The engine is the same. So in your opinion, is the engine in the 2005 a 290 or a 300? :confuse:
    Hmmmm....I read this post earlier on the LPS forum and ignored it then. But in here I will give you my opinion. Price continues to be your main focus. I think Acura knows what they are doing with their pricing strategies. Availability of the 2005's will change overnight. Then what did you say you could buy a 2006 for?
  • guess im new to this forum, i was gun ho about the new lexus is, but its way to expensive and currently lacking options, so i looked into the RL and so far impressed about what i have read, have their been any reliability complaints (i had a 04' infiniti fx35, was extremely UNhappy with it, lots of problems, horrible infiniti service), oh and hows acura service??? so the big question, i found a used 05' for $38,900 with 12k miles on it, do you think i can talk the price down any further, and if so how much is reasonable? thanks.
  • $38,900 is a competitive price for a 2005. Check blue book value, trade-in, private party, and retail. Negotiate with those prices. Good luck!
    From what I read the newer SAE Standard is a more accurate and appropriate measure. Since the engine is exactly the same then horsepower is identical in each year and is "correctly" stated for each year's relalative measuring method.

One way to look at it is english units vs. metric; which is correct 1" or 2.54 cm?
    Availability of the 2005's will change overnight. Then what did you say you could buy a 2006 for?

I think it depends on how many '06 they manufacture. Some are speculating a production cut; if true then that will help keep prices up. If they do indeed limit production then early '06s could go close to MSRP. If production stays at '05 levels then I don't see how they can be that high.