Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Acura RL

Comments

• I replaced my Michelins with Yokohama AVID V4S tires about a year ago. I am no tire expert but these have been great tires for me. Much smoother and quieter than the Michelins.

Very mixed user reviews for this tire. Comments like very quiet at first, then much noisier as they wear, very poor tread life, etc. I think I'd hesitate before buying it.
  • houdini1houdini1 Kansas City areaPosts: 5,960
    I only saw good reviews. Where did you see the negative ones? I have about 10,000 miles on mine and they are still very smooth and quiet, same as new.

2013 LX 570 2010 LS 460 2002 Tacoma 4x4

• I only saw good reviews. Where did you see the negative ones?

Well, I can't tell you! When I saw your posting, I was immediately interested since I'll need to replace my tires soon and I'm hoping to get something quieter. I did a search for reviews and found a number of good reviews, but also some very negative reviews. I've just spent 1/2 hour looking and I can't find the negative ones now. I didn't dream them, but I don't know what else to say.
    LOL, no problem, I can never find things that I once saw either.

But seriously, I think you will get better info here that almost anywhere else. I don't know what tires you have now but I was actually shocked at how much better my 02 RL drove and rode with the Yokohamas. Another thing I like is that I have not had to add air in almost a year.

I was seriously considering getting rid of the RL before the new tires but the new tires improved the ride so much that I kept it and will keep it until some time next year.

If you do buy the yokos please post your impressions. Also,in case you were wondering, I am in no way affiliated with Yokohama or any other tire company. :)

With your name I assume you are a Cornhusker fan? I have been wondering if you guys are looking forward to the KU game this year. :sick: :)

• cstilescstiles Posts: 465
    The Tire Rack is full of useful reviews and is probably the best overall site for tire selection and prices. As far as I can tell, the Yokohama AVIDs are not available in the size needed for the 2005+ RLs. I just replaced the OEM Pilot MXM's with Dunlop SP Sport 5000 Assymetricals. Getting them mounted tomorrow. Had these same tires on our 2002 Audi A4s and they were decent. I almost went with the Michelin Pilot Sport AS but since I'll be trading in this RL in about a year, chose to save about $150 with the Dunlops instead. The OEM MXMs were nothing to write home about, except we got decent wear....almost 47K miles on the set. Probably could have gotten to 50K but didn't want to wear them right down to the wear bars. But $240 each to replace the OEM Michelin tires is ridiculous. The Pilot Sport AS are cheaper at around $228.
  • I am considering a used 2005 RL. Does it have an AUX audio port to hook in my iPod directly? Thx.
  • I am considering a used 2005 RL. Does it have an AUX audio port to hook in my iPod directly?

No, it doesn't.
  • Thanks Nebraska! Any idea what year they added the aux port feature?
  • nowakj66nowakj66 Posts: 709
    I am getting semi serious about a used Acura RL in the 2005 - 2008 range. 2005s certified are now being priced mid to high 20s which is attractive. There seem to be a lot coming off lease now.

I do not see as many 2006, 2007 or 2008s.

Any sense which is the best year? Will the bulk of used 2006s be available in a year? And used 2007s are year after that?

Should I concerned about getting a 2005? What should I look for?
  • Hello,

I have an 05 RL. Has anyone had an issue where the NAV system reboots for no apparent reason while driving? Today it did it to me a few times, and it has gone from extremely rare to somewhat more common.

Also, is it true that on the 05 RL there is no lights mode where you simply set it and the car turns the lights on and off, and when you exit the car there is no need to turn the lights off? When I am in auto mode the lights go on, but when I park they don't automatically go off and the car prompts me (beep beep beep) to turn the lights off.

Thanks for any help.
  • I own a 2006 Acura RL. I was planning to buy an MDX but ended up getting an RL. I am very happy about my purchase. Still, I strongly recommend skipping the 2005 RLs. It was a revolutionry car back then with a lot of new features and gadgets. There were a lot of initial problems with electronics and computer programming during the first production year. Get yourself an RL built for 2006 model year or later.
  • Also, is it true that on the 05 RL there is no lights mode where you simply set it and the car turns the lights on and off, and when you exit the car there is no need to turn the lights off? When I am in auto mode the lights go on, but when I park they don't automatically go off and the car prompts me (beep beep beep) to turn the lights off.

I have an 05 RL. You can set the lights on "Auto" which means the lights go on and off depending on light conditions. You can also set them to "On" which means they're always on when the car is on. This is my preferred setting because I believe it is a safer mode for driving. On either setting, the lights go off at a set period after you turn the car off (time delay is set by user) and also, on either setting, you'll get the annoying beep beep warning.
  • njalannjalan Posts: 70
    I have a 2002 RL with nav but the navigation dvd appears to be outdated although it has been working since new from 9/2001. I went to my local Acura dealership (East Brunswick, NJ) to buy an up-to-dated dvd but was told nothing in stock (they don't carry this item at all). I then went online to eBay to look for it but was very much confused, because there are so many different types of dvd (different version and different color). In the end I still cannot find one that is sure to fit my 2002 RL. I am open to either a new or used dvd as long as it is working and price is reasonable, and it is the latest version(2007 or 2008).

If possible and available I would like to have one covering North America (USA & Canada) because the dvd that came with my new car is for USA roads only and I cannot use it when in Canada. I think the color and the version number of the dvd are the most important criteria in the dvd replacement selection. But somehow I have not been able to get the right info for my car. Appreciate your timely help.
  • tayl0rdtayl0rd Posts: 1,938
    Google is your friend! Go here.
  • bartalk3bartalk3 Posts: 692
    Looks like the '10 RL will be available with a V-8. Terrible timing. Who needs a V-8 these days with the price of gas. Acura timing has been terrible lately. The redesigned TL has grown 6 inches, and now a V-8. This is part of Acura's attempt to move the brand upmarket into Lexus territory. But I don't think it's going to work.
  • njalannjalan Posts: 70
    Thanks a lot for your help. I called Acura and found out a new dvd upgrade version is coming next month.
  • Lexus LS-V8
    BMW 550I-V8
    M45-V8
    E550-V8

What's wrong with a RL V8?
  • tayl0rdtayl0rd Posts: 1,938
    What's wrong with a RL V8?

It'll probably be FWD! :P

j/k
    Actually, I've heard that they might actually be contemplated a real RWD platform. I've got my fingers crossed! ;)
  • Hi,

What would be a good source for a replacement key fob for an 05 RL? Do I have to do this at the dealer?

Thanks!
  • Hi guys. I got tempted by the local non-Acura dealer with their 2005 RL with 34,000 miles on it. I got the price at 21K OTD. It seems to be in a very good condition. What do you guys think? Any comments would be highly appreciated.
    If I decide to get it, is 100,000-mile/+4year warranty (Acura) worth $1,400? I'm thinking about it, too.
    I think the RL has gotten a bad rap primarily from those that lean toward more "performance". I have owned 2 RLs in the past and I would have to say they were two of the best cars I ever owned. Very reliable and drive and handle in normal driving like a dream.

That sounds like a great deal, and yes, I would spring for the warranty. The way things are in the auto industry today I would try to get them to "throw in" the warranty. Make an offer on that basis and see what happens. Keep us posted.

• I've owned my 05 RL for four years and love it. I would definitely go for the warranty. Even as reliable as my three Acuras have been, there are at least four on-board computers on the 05, and lots of gadgets, all of which will be expensive to repair. For example, on my 99 RL, the auto-dim rearview mirror quit working and the mirror alone, with no labor, was $500. I can't imagine how much one of the computers would cost to repair.
  • 10sfan10sfan Posts: 136
    I have a 2000 RL and purchased the Acura extended warranty which carried me thru 75,000 miles / 7 years. Well worth the money. Parts and labor although not as expensive as the German cars, still costly. I have the vehicle with 87,000. Runs great. No market value, but a good winter driving car. Will drive it until the repairs exceed the value..Remember, their cost for the warranty is minimal compared to what you have to pay.
  • jensadjensad Posts: 388
    We bought a new 08 RL. We got the extended warranty. The original warranty is for 48mo/48miles.

I have taken the RL back on warranty six times. First three to repair the computer stuff. Then three times later, presets on radio still was going out, ergo, new radio. All obviously covered by warranty.

After 48 months, if I go back for a problem, what will be the labor rate per hour? I don't know. But I do know here in Disneyland, er, California in East Bay, the rate at my dealer is about $ 120 an hour. The local Lexis dealer rate is $ 200/hour.

What will it be when your warranty runs out where you live?

We have five Hondas and three Acuras. One Honda had a window electric switch go out, at 110k miles. I sold it at 151k miles. Wife's Oddessy and our other Hondas no problems of any kind.

Other two Acuras no problems.

I think its a difficult decision but we will always have the extended warranty. My wife even got the extended warranty on her new 95 Oddessy where IF we did not drive more than 75k over 5 years, we would get our money back. Dublin Honda paid us our money back. Don't think they do it now, but when she sold it after 10 years she had 74K on car and we spent the $ on our vacation.

Good luck to all and stay safe.

jensad
  • jensadjensad Posts: 388
    I made a mistake in my last post, We have HAD five Hondas, etc...

Sorry

jensad
  • jjacurajjacura Posts: 808
    Gentlemen, I recently replaced the original Michelins on my 2005 with an outstanding tire made by Bridgestone called the Turanza Serenity and if you check it out on Tire Rack it far exceeds the OE in every comparison category. I knew I would need new tires before this winter was finished and found out that this particular tire was out of stock on back order nationally. A friend of mine associated with Firestone/Bridgestone in the Midwest ran a check and found a set of 4 in Baltimore (probably the last available set in the country at the time) I have had them on the car for about 3 weeks and can honestly say they have absolutely improved the ride. They are quieter, corner better, brake better, and the traction in snow and rain has improved dramatically. check them out on: http://www.tirerack.com/index_w.jsp They are also priced about $65 per tire less than the OE's. Nationally they are supposed to be back in stock at most major retailers by the end of the month or early January. Have a safe winter everyone and Merry Christmas.
    JJAcura
  • msaniomsanio Posts: 1
    I have a 1999 Acura RL, it has just over 100,000 miles, it's been an excellent car. Occassionally, when it is cold I get an odd deep noise from the front of the car, the brake pedal also vibrates while I am driving, it also has to be cold outside, less then 50 degrees, any ideas?
  • triplecoretriplecore Posts: 3
    I have read that on the 2006 and up equipped with technology package have a collision warning system that the seat-belts tighten. Does anyone with this feature can verify how this feature works? Or does it beep and flash a light like on the new Volvo S80 when it detects a quick closing rate.

thanks
  • triplecoretriplecore Posts: 3
    I am going to a 2005 or perferbly 2006 and up RL. The only thing is I am not sure how to differentiate one with the technology package and one without from pictures. Can someone let me know how to tell?

thanks
  • nebraskaguynebraskaguy Posts: 341
    At JJAcura's recommendation, I replaced the tires on my 2005 RL with Bridgestone Turanza Serenity. Immediately afterwards I took a 500-mile drive. They are far quieter than the Michelins that came on my RL. Since most of the trip was freeway driving in good weather, I can't attest to his comments regarding handling, but on most of the surfaces during the trip, the tires were nearly totally silent. A big improvement!