Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Acura RL

Comments

• r2917r2917 Posts: 67
    Here's the thing I am wondering...isn't the 2003 accord bigger in key interior dimenions than the 2002 RL? If so, it would seem to make no sense then to trade down in interior size if more room is the mian concern.
  • hendjazhendjaz Posts: 155
    Acuraphile, your information on the timing of the v710 updated software release is nearly identical to what I have been advised so I have every expectation that it will occur sooner rather than later, unless they run into glitches with the beta testing that is under way in a certain part of the country.

I too have the lakeshore silver and in certain sunlight see a bit of a light purple as you indicate so I don't think your eyes are deceiving you. It more regularly is the silver/gray in appearance and I have found it to stay looking very clean even when its not which was an important reason I did not go for a darker color. The opulent blue that others have is beautiful too but is a bit too close to our blue 04 MDX so I wanted to have some difference between the two.
  • shotgunshotgun Posts: 184
    Acuraphile, your Lakeshore Silver is indeed an extraordinarily handsome color! I've got the OBP but would spring for a LS in a heartbeat! The LS is a very classy and rare color - congratulations on your choice. You know, I almost believe Acura/Honda are using Color-shifting paints on their cars! My Opulent Blue Pearl changes hues in what appears to be an infinite number of ways. Sometimes it looks black, other times it appears to be deep blue, whereas other times it gives off an iridescent purple tint. A writer on another forum had a cute name for it, he called it "blurple". I'm very pleased with my OBP as I'm sure you are with your LS...both very elegant hues.
  • kfhmailkfhmail Posts: 199
    Does anyone care to "speculate" as to why ACURA would put cooled seats in the RL for Canada but not the US?

I live in north Alabama and I would love to have the cooled seats during the summer.

The cost of having the cooled seats should not be that much because the design work has already been done...so...

I wish they would add them during the 05 model year!!!
  • bodble2bodble2 Posts: 4,519
    They have to justify why Canadians have to pay about $10K more for essentially the same car.
  • jdhjdh Posts: 19
    hendjaz,

Thanks for the advice. I think you are right and I have been satisfied with my verizon service. I will probably stay with the v710 phone but wait till after I get my new car before buying it, therefore getting the newest software available.

Once I receive the car I will post my opinions of my thoughts on it. The dealer was kind enough to let me have it for half a day and I really liked driving it.

I am currently driving a 2002 A6 which I really do like but in my humble opinion the 2005 A6 does not compare to the 2002.

Again, thanks for the helpful input all of you have given to me and I am sure others in the forum.
    haha yeah...except of course pretty much every import car sold here is now priced at a premium when compared directly to the U.S. since our dollar is doing much better these days. I used to be so upset at the price of the RL here and swore off buying one but then I did more research and saw other brands have the exact same price difference so I realized it wasn't a big deal anymore.

I have no clue why they put cooled seats on our RL but not the U.S. model. Makes no sense to me. Guess maybe they figured since we got short changed out of XM and acura link we deserve something.

I will say I am glad I have cooled seats rather than those two features that for me, would be useless. Cooled seats will get used every day by me in the summer...I first experienced cooled seats on my mother's LS430 and since then (2001 model) I have been waiting for cooled seats to be a feature on pretty much every car. To me, cooling the seat is much more valuable than heating it.
  • acuraphile, have you figured out how,if at all possible, to "set" the door locks so they will unlock after the car is stopped and the trans is in the park position?? this one has me stumped??
  • jjacurajjacura Posts: 808
    The Canadian upgrade on cooled seats was discussed before, but I did not realize Acura didn't include XM and Acura Link on those cars. I can see any American living in a very warm climate ie... Arizona, Southern California, etc, would be delighted to get the cooled seat option however we live in the upper mid-west, and maybe I'm wrong but I can't say that I would be using the cool down seat system very often and am a little surprised Canadians would either. But Im sorry that you can't enjoy the XM radio and Acura Link. That seems like a lopsided trade-off, especially for the first year when XM is free. (As for heated seats...been enjoying that option for 5 years and this time of year until April they feel great!)
  • acuraphile, have you figured out how,if at all possible, to "set" the door locks so they will unlock after the car is stopped and the trans is in the park position?? this one has me stumped??

Steven:

The Acura salesman did this for me but I barely had an oipportunity to see exactly what he had done. (Basically, this is described on page 81 and pages 96,97 in the Owner's manual.) With ignition switch on, hold the info button down for more than three seconds...then release. "Customoze Entry" screen appears in the MID in the gauge cluster.Each time you press the info button up or down a new display appears. One display reads:

Door/Window setup. Press the select button. You will come to Auto Door Unlock with choice of "Shift to P" or "Ignition Off." Pick and SELECT. Then scroll again with the Info button until you come to "Door Lock Mode." The choice is DRIVER'S DOOR or ALL DOORS. Pick "All Doors" and SELECT. That should do it. Hope I didn'r mislead you. (Rather than the info button, you may also use the up and down arrows that flank the SELECT button on the steering wheel.)

I drove to a crazy embroidery of streets in a nearby village today where not one street did anything but weave in and out of surrounding streets. I was lost. Deliberately. I just pushed the map-guide, pressed TALK, and said "GO HOME!"

What a pleasure! Worth a $million.

Hope you have some success with the doors.
    yeah I think XM is looking to expand to Canada but haven't yet so that is why it isn't here.

As for cooled seats...come on man, it isn't an igloo in this country.:) The summers get super hot here in Ontario especially in August when temperatures easily hit 30+ Celsius. Plus, cooled seats can be used year around. I've used the cooled seats on the LS430 many times in the winter during long drives. I think is you (and I mean "you" in a general sense) have never used cooled seats you don't know how useful they can be.

I guess to some it'd be a lopsided trade-off but to me I think it is a good one since the cooled seats won't cost a yearly subscription in a year like XM and well, I use other means for my music and in a year's time XM wouldn't even be used by me at all so I would have an option in my car that was useless to me. Obviously for those who use XM it wouldn't be a good trade-off. This is one of those "to each his/her own" type deals.:) Same goes for Acuralink/onstar.
    "To me, cooling the seat is much more valuable than heating it."

I agree. Most guys I know, especially the older ones, have their own natural seat-warming mechanism! :)
    I was looking at the RL while waiting for an oil change today, and noticed that the "dimple" on the door handle is not really a button you can press. When you press on it, it's hard, it doesn't go down. Just wondering if it works by sensing heat, or motion?
  • ivan_99ivan_99 Posts: 1,662
    30C is comfortable weather living in the south; at 30C I usually don't turn on my AC.

Having lived up north and now in the south, it really is like night and day (nights are sometimes 30C).

There is a big difference between 40C and 30C...anyway cooled seats are...cool (couldn't resist)
  • jjacurajjacura Posts: 808
    Because I am retired I spend an inordinate amount of time with my sweetie in this car. The first thing she asked was "Is there any way you can unlock both doors simultaneously...this particularly affected her during some windy days dropping the wind chill way down a couple weeks ago..) so I adjusted that. and now she pushes that heat button on high as soon as she sits down. Then she makes sure the XM is tuned into "Sunny" It's like clockwork. I enjoy dropping her off now at a Target or Wallmart and I just sit and fiddle with all the "stuff" Have the sound system all tuned to the right levels for my ear, adjusting every speaker etc... It really is enjoyable.
  • my new 2005 RL suffered the same problem, nav traffic working for a couple of days after i got the car then stopping for good. yes, the icons are all set to on for nav traffic. no road flow or accident information is displayed for me here in DC.

the dealer tried 'rebooting' it today by pulling the battery cable to reset everything. i then had XM refresh the nav. all to no avail.

anyone seen an answer to this one yet?
  • i tried the fuse removal as well, but nav traffic didnt come back.
  • acuraphile, thank you for your help, it was very annoying to me and it seemed logical that a fix had to be available. It's now history!!

I also have LS (with taupe interior)just love the car, the toys and BTW receive many compliments. It's a fantastic car, great value for the money;and I really could care less about its "badge"---I'll go for the value

Enjoy yours as I do mine, and Thank You again, hope I can reciprocate sometime

Steve
  • hendjazhendjaz Posts: 155
    Rlowner,

Suggest you have the xm box in the trunk replaced. See prior posts at 4617, 4750 and elsewhere throughout this forum for more detailed discussion, but replacing the xm box at the dealer should address this.
  • aclcaclc Posts: 20
    My dealer said that Acura techline is aware of the problem, but do not have a fix yet. Has anyone with this problem had their xm box replaced with resolution of this problem?