Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Acura RL

Comments

• So um, yeah... the numbers I quoted were from two sources... MT and C&D magazines. I did not simply "guess" about the numbers based on something I may have read in the past. Appears R&T has even different numbers from these mags, so who is right/wrong? Variances are from professional drivers who have driven and tested all of these vehicles.

If you would like to debate the nature of BMW as the benchmark for performance sedans, knock yourself out! The issue is not whether the RL is a good piece, but whether it is truly ready to compete as a performance benchmark in its class. I'm afraid that a little time is needed for Acura/Honda to sort out the platform issues (SH-AWD) that now plague this 1st-year car. Still, it is a fine auto, but just doesn't get MY juices flowing... just my personal opinion.

If you'd like to sort out the discrepancies across these testing sources, please do...

'05 Acura RL 70-0... 180 ft. - C&D Road Test

'04 BMW 545 70-0... 156 ft. - C&D Road Test

'04 BMW 530 60-0... 115 ft. - MT Road Test

'04 BMW 545 60-0... 121 ft. - MT Road Test

'05 Acura RL 60-0... 127 ft. - MT COY Test

2004 530i 60-0...131 feet. 80-0...231 feet

2005 RL 60-0...126 feet. 80-0...224 feet

Certainly, tires, testing venue, driver, etc. all contribute to testing "numbers". What I rely on is cumulative data over time by mfgr... believe BMW has more than proven itself. Acura is finally getting there with a larger sport sedan, as the prior RL was a nice transportation appliance. Give it time... ;-)

IMO, place these cars on the Nurburgring or similar circuit with professional drivers and then test the braking dynamics of these cars to sort out characteristics/differences. That would help to distinguish braking dynamics in these road cars. BTW, one class-leading attribute for the RL is its safety score... that is commendable.
  • jjacurajjacura Posts: 808
    Taking a few minutes here before the family arrives We have a lot to be thankful for on this 2004th Christmas.

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to all of you forum readers and posters. and to you Shotgun...(read your Bio)..."Don't drink to much Cognac over the holidays...but if you do... you can always ride....you guessed it..."Shotgun"!
  • I have a 05 RL and I live in Anchorage Alaska and I can tell you it handles wonderfully in the snow. I've never slid,skid or loss control if you live in the north the RL is a true thing of beauty.
  • Like many of you that have been doing a lot of research on the different options of cars to choose from, I spent over three months reading reviews, test driving cars and reading the remarks across all the forum's I finally narrowed my search down to two cars..the 530i and RL. Both cars are outstanding and offer different sensations. I really enjoyed the ride & handling of the 530i, but thought the interior was somewhat cold and the styling was a little too bold for my liking. In the end, I choose the RL and have had the car for five days. One of the first things I did was drive it straight from the dealership to a local wheel outlet and switched the stock wheels/tires for Yokahama 255/40/19 sport tires with a 19" wheel. The new package does two things 1) give incredible handling without sacrificing the smoothness of the ride and 2) gives the car a fabulous look that really makes the car standout!

Overall, knowing it's still very early in the new car relationship, I'm head over heals crazy over this car. There are so many things about this car that I'm learning about every day and still have much more to learn. For anyone on the fence regarding buying an RL..jump off the fence and run to your nearest Acura dealership. You will not be disappointed in your decision :0)
  • aclcaclc Posts: 20
    Did you replace the tires that came with the car or are they original equiment?
  • I replaced the wheel/tire package that comes with the RL (Michelin 245/50/17)and received a $500 credit from the company I purchased the new wheels & tires from. If you've seen the prototype pictures of the RL when it first came out, that is the look you will get. The prototype had a 20" wheel which actually fits on the RL, but requires a 35" sidewall. When you get that narrow a sidewall, it starts to impact the feel of the ride. The 19" with the 40" profile looks outstanding and still keeps the integrity of the ride.
  • lvdhlvdh Posts: 29
    To say that you will not be disappointed with a purchase of a new 2005 RL assumes, of course, that the RL you receive works and does not break down 10 miles from the dealership, and that if it does break down, that Acura/American Honda Motor Company has the parts available to fix it.
  • shotgunshotgun Posts: 184
    And "Happy Holidays" to you Jjacura! Received a gift bottle of Martel Cognac "XO" - Needless to say, both myself (at home) and my Acura RL (on the road) have been, shall I say, "spirited" this holiday season...

I've enjoyed this forum immensely and wish you all the best this holiday season...
  • "I've enjoyed this forum immensely and wish you all the best this holiday season..."

I'd like to express my thanks and best wishes, as well. JJ, Shotgun, RobertSMX, et al...almost without exception, the posts have had a fraternal quality; really gratifying - and edifying.

I guess that it's been five or six months since I signed on to this forum and I doubt that I missed many posts. It's been fun watching the bonding progress - and the friendships blossom.

Heady stuff, considering the general bleakness outside these pages.

My wife and I drove out to Montauk the other day and put on 200 miles. Our Lakeshore Luxo ran like a dream...nary a problem. The Gershwin "Concerto in F" came pouring out of the speakers with such great presence and the 300 HP made passing a swift and secure maneuver.......

octogenarians like "displacement" too! :-)

Again, best wishes for a splendid New Year!
  • larry6larry6 Posts: 26
    Well...as long as we are getting sentimental..although I am not a very frequent contributor to the site, I am quite an avid follower of the experiences (both + and -) of the people who are interested in Acura 05 RL. I too especially appreciate the contributions of JJ, Acuraphile, Ivdh, Shotgun and others... who contribute to the site frequently. It's really quite amazing...that this medium provides owners of something heretofore rather difficult to achieve: communication among customers and potential customers. Heretofore, customers with problems...were only known to dealerships and manufacturers, whereas, sites such as Edmunds allows us to unite with common destiny. What do we seek -- nothing but to share information about a product we are interested in -- and -- to be treated fairly by the manufacturer with whom we entrusted our lives -- our cash -- and our enthusiasm for modern technology. Wishing you all good health -- and happy trails.
    Well said larry. Information and knowledge are power.
  • after giving the nav system a three fingered salute (nav button, cancel button, menu button pressed all at the same time for 3 sec), and then selecting the navi diagnostic, the system tells me that the XM Hardware Interface Processor Electonic Control Unit is not functioning. That explains why nav traffic doesnt work and acuralink doesnt receive messages. dealer says he'll replace the HIP.ECU.

on the plus side, the car handled EXTREMELY well in the pre-xmas ohio/indiana snow storm i had to traverse. no complaints on the SH-AWD.

but in the below zero cold temps that followed, the driver side lock dimple stopped functioning for a time. like the navtraffic problem, several folks are now reporting this one and low temps appear to be more coincidence than cause. so be on the lookout for another fix from Acura soon.

ahhhh, i just love software!
  • LVDH, I'm very sorry to hear about your troubles and the total disregard for Napleton to address your issue in a serious manner. I really do hope you get relief soon.

Let me say this first. Try to resolve this using the correct channels (i.e., Acura Customer Service, Napleton Owner, Honda America, etc.). If you don't get results here is what I suggest you do.

Take out a full page advertisement in your local paper (the bigger distribution the better) and title it "An Open Letter to [Owner's Name], Owner, Napleton Acura and [President's Name], President, Honda America." and clearly state what has happened and what you expect them to do. If they don't respond to this then I have no idea what will get them to respond.

I for one would donate to the cost of said ad.

Since I'm not a lawyer, you might want to consult with one before doing this just to make sure you can't get sued for libel...

Sorry if this might be a bit over the top, but I'm so tired of hearing about dealerships who just don't care or do the right thing - especially after they've got your money.
    dennis721,

I appreciate your input and your generous offer to contribute to an advertisement.

Acura Customer Service and American Honda Motor Co. have been notified of this problem essentially since day 1. A case file was opended by Acura Client Services and said matter was assigned to a case manager who has not been helpful or responsive. To date, neither Acura Customer Service nor American Honda Motor Co. have resolved this problem.

As for a full page ad, although it would be wonderful to see such a print ad, it is really cost prohibitive. As for the legal issues regarding libel, truth is always an absolute 100% defense to the accusation of defamation (libel or slander).

But what you say is not at all "a bit over the top". What is really over the top is as follows:

1. A brand new 2005 Acura RL which I purchased on or about 12/15/04 broke down within 10 miles after taking delivery from Napleton Acura due the SH-AWD and VSA failing;

2. Napleton's service department said "the battery was low";

3. The vehicle then broke down a second time just a couple days later again due the SH-AWD and VSA failing;

4. The vehicle has been in Acura's service department for 10 days since it was purchased 12 days ago;

5. Acura cannot repair the vehicle because parts are not available;

6. Neither Napleton, Acura/American Honda Motor Co. nor Acura Client Services have offered to replace the vehicle and have done absolutely nothing to resolve this problem;

7. I'm paying principal and interest to American Honda Finance on a vehicle which I do not have possession of and cannot drive because Acura cannot repair it.

That's over the top
  • How are the roads where you live? In PA, even the stock tires and wheels ride fairly hard. There doesn't seem to be many wheels that fit the car yet. Did you find others as well? Assume you didn't like the 18" aspec wheels either.
  • lvdh,

I recently took delivery of my RL, have driven over 250 miles, and luckily no issues. It's a great car, as long as you commit to understanding its new features and capabilities. But the manner with which this dealership and American Honda in general have responded to your problem, concerns us all. I expect any dealership to step up and do all it can in a situation like this. Having to wait nearly 30 days for parts is unacceptable "BS" in this day and age. Your car should be on worldwide alert with necessary parts there in 2-3 days via FedEx. In my business (large scale computers), we overnight parts with a "whatever it takes" attitude.

This is an unacceptable situation none of us should have to experience. Although a newspaper ad has an immediate impact for the local readers and dealerships, I believe the power rests right here.

I have read this forum since early September and have appreciated all the many comments and insights from its contributors. I knew I wanted the Acura RL since I've owned two prior Legends with a combined driving experience of over 455,000 miles - never a road failure or major issue. I never looked back at other car manufacturers because I've come to appreciate the Acura reliability and value. I would estimate that the vast majority of new '05 RL owners have had positive experiences with their new cars. But nothing in life is a guarantee and it appears that your car suffered some oversight in the manufacturing process.

I would agree that they should replace the car immediately. Unfortunately, in the exercise of business, the approach is always to attempt a repair before replacement. But the delay in corrective action coupled with the lack of customer support rendered by the dealership and American Honda is totally unacceptable.

Suggestive Action -

Leverage this forum's RL participants in a communication campaign to American Honda specifically referencing your situation and case number so as to request a feedback assurance that this type of situation is not standard practice, will not occur for all new Acura RL customers, and that all of us as a group want to know that Acura (American Honda) is capable of supporting their products on an immediate and timely basis.

I believe there are many of us on this forum who have purchased the RL and leverage this dialogue as a learning exercise, with rare occurrences of actually contributing. For the benefit of all of us, now is the time to exercise our power of communication. As was stated earlier, this forum has given us an ability to share experiences and thoughts that in prior years was never possible. Well it also gives us the ability is initiate change for the good of all of us. It starts with this issue.

If the forum agrees with this approach and lvdh acknowledges as such, then lvdh should communicate the case number and any current information for us to act individually.

American Honda needs to step up and correct this situation.
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    We can listen and we can make suggestions, but we can't embark on an official protest campaign on his/her behalf, nor can there be a "fundraising" effort, or anything else of that nature.

I know you all want to help - the way to do that is to continue to offer suggestions of possible action. As I'm sure lvdh realizes, the forum may not be asked to campaign in that manner per the Membership Agreement (linked on the left side of the page).

Instead, we'll keep the suggestions and the empathy coming and hope the situation works out for the best.

There is something about which I am not clear, and maybe this was addressed earlier and I missed it - lvdh, do you have a lawyer or a consumer rep of some sort involved in this? Have you contacted your state BBB and/or an office of consumer affairs? You might want to think about that route if you haven't already.

I wish you all the best in getting this resolved.
  • shotgunshotgun Posts: 184
    "... I'm afraid that a little time is needed for Acura/Honda to sort out the platform issues (SH-AWD) that now plague this 1st-year car..."

Plague?!?! Thats a little strong my friend. The isolated problems encountered with the SH-AWD mechanism are far from being a "plague". Based on my personal experience, as an RL owner, and what the automotive media has to say about the new RL I would love nothing better than to see the RL compete with it's contemporaries on the Nuernburgring!

Whereas credit is due to Mercedes, BMW, and Audi for their automotive engineering prowess, past performance, and history of reliability & quality - it appears to me, that like in so many other fields - auto manufacturers from the land of the Rising Sun are eclipsing their Teutonic rivals...
    Update from LVD.

Still no response/answers from Acura/American Honda Motor Co and RL remains broken down and sitting in an Acura dealership's service department.

Last Thursday I spoke to the assistant to the Executive VP of Automotive Operations at American Honda Motor Co. and she represented to me that someone from corporate would call me today (ie. Monday, 12/27/04). So far, I have not received the courtesy of a return call. So, I decided to follow-up myself, and I again called America Honda Motor Co. Inc.'s corporate headquarters in California and to my surprise a recorded message came on which essentially stated "the corporate offices are closed until January 3, 2005."

This situation remains absolutely shocking and atrocious on the part of Napleton Acura, Acura/American Honda Motor Co.

A date of January 3, 2005, will mean that almost 3 weeks will have elapsed since my RL broke down with 200 miles on it appears that my RL still will not be repaired come January 3, 2005.
  • clpurnellclpurnell Posts: 1,087
    I see you have an FX and an RL. What made you get the RL instead of waiting for the new Infiniti M. Also which Vehicle do you like better. I have a little over a year left on my FX lease and have been very happy with it but thinking about going back to a sedan. I like the RL, M, 5 series and new GS. However there isn't much out right now that I would give up my FX for.