Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Acura RL

Comments

• Pat,

That exactly what was done when I started the thread - see # 5673.

Let's communicate to the carrier so that a correction is made available. If anyone has any updates, please let us know.
  • jjacurajjacura Posts: 808
    Pat, Thanks for the heads up...I will remember that.

The URL is the same one RealLegend posted...

http://www.informationweek.com/story/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=- 57701136#_
    Acuraphile, Sorry about your problem with the loudness of those sensors and I can appreciate keeping the peace with a good neighbor. There must be some way to muffle that sound to the outside somewhat and still keep it effective inside. (I didn't mean to be flip with my earlier comment about the Westminster Chimes thing and hope you didn't take it that way. By the way, you have been extremely sensitive to the folks that are having their problems with their cars in here and I'm sure it is appreciated. Can you imagine being in a forum where the vehicle has 2 or 3 times as many glitches as the new RL? Also I just wanted to thank you for your mention of "Frank's Place" on XM Satellite radio. I listened to it all day... the commentator was Jonathon Schwartz...he has amazing knowledge of the music from that era. He played a version of Sinatra's "Lady is a Tramp" that was not publicly aired before and is his favorite version. The RL sound system is unbelievable. Whenever my wife is not riding with me I amp the system to about 33 (For a person with normal hearing, 33 might be a bit loud)... :-)
  • " Also I just wanted to thank you for your mention of "Frank's Place" on XM Satellite radio. I listened to it all day... the commentator was Jonathon Schwartz...he has amazing knowledge of the music from that era. He played a version of Sinatra's "Lady is a Tramp" that was not publicly aired before and is his favorite version."

JJacura:

Jonathan's father, Arthur Schwartz, (along with Howard Dietz), was a famous songriter who penned dozens of the standards that you're enjoying on "Frank's Place." I sang with some of the bands in the late 40's and 50's and am nourished musically by the profusion of tunes that were composed between the years 1930-1950. Jonathan culls them and presents the coolest jazz and standards being broadcast today.

BTW, when you open the trunk with the remote, does the lid open fully (as it did on my '96 RL) or does it just release the latch and then need to be raised manually? Mine just releases the latch and does not look open from a distance. My wife found the open trunk lid to be helpful in spotting the car in a congested lot and is hoping that it just needs some tweaking.

Enjoy this long weekend!
  • Jim, my digital camera is on loan to my brother-in-law. I should get it back this week and will post it. Sorry for the delay.
    Acuraphile, It's standard for both the interior and the remote trunk release to just release the latch. This was also true on the TL so it didn't occur to me that anything is wrong but it's interesting that your '96 RL opened fully. One downfall to that I suppose would be passers by in a large mall type lot having visability to your contents. I don't know how it is in your area but even in our best suburban mall we have trouble with vandals and thieves running through the lots, checking out unlocked cars mostly. (I use my remote beeper on those rare occasions when we forget which row we are in) but usually I try to find parking spots that are less apt to bring dings.
  • bodble2bodble2 Posts: 4,519
    The remote beeps are that loud? On the TL, the beeps are so feint you couldn't hear it if you're more than 2 cars away.

I too would prefer if the trunk would open fully when unlocked with the remote. Not to make it easier to find your car, but when you have your arms full with groceries, it would be a heck of a lot easier than trying to raise the trunk with your chin or elbow!
  • kennyg5kennyg5 Posts: 360
    When I can't find my car in a crowded lot, I would use the theft alarm to locate it. Forget about parking lot etiquette (if there is such a thing) because I don't want to wait until the lot empties out before I can find my car :-)

I have reservations about fully opening my trunk, particularly when it is raining. On those occasions when I believe I will have my arms full (probably not with groceries because there is no cooking in my family), I'll make sure that my wife and/or 10 old son will be there to lend a helping hand. Otherwise, I'd use my karate kick.
    On the RL the beeps are not going to carry across a large lot but if you get within a hundred feet or so OK. Also the brake lights blink as well, which is helpful, especially at night.
    Ahh...so you were the guy who gave the old man a heart attack the other day in the Wal-mart parking lot.... :)
    "Ahh...so you were the guy who gave the old man a heart attack the other day in the Wal-mart parking lot.... :)" (To KennyG5)

and the old lady walking by dropped her shopping bags spilling her prune juice and smashing her bottle of bourbon... and the teenagers heads popped up in the back seat of the car nearby to see who was coming...etc etc etc :-)

Back to the car: I have a tendency to put my seat belt on as the car travels down the street and sometimes even neglect to put it on but with the RL it just doesn't happen anymore because this female voice comes on and reminds me to "Please fasten the seatbelt" The wife is delighted because she no longer has to nag me. Was wondering if the female voice is permanent or if it can be reset to a male version?
  • You can go into the menu and choose either a male or female voice. I haven't tried the male voice yet.

Lynnminny
  • bobb1bobb1 Posts: 22
    HAs anyone figured out how to make a call to a destination that is active in the navigation system without cancelling and then going to addressbook????? Recently I was running very latte to a meeting and was on navigation, I had very carefully put the phone number into the addressbook but could not figure out how to get handsfree to dial it - and yes, I did not have it in my directory (Handsfree or Onstar).

Thanks all for great comments. I have now had my RL since November 23 and have 5100 miles on it including 3500 over the road - no problems except for a speeding ticket in North Carolina.
    "You can go into the menu and choose either a male or female voice. I haven't tried the male voice yet"

Thanks I thought that I read it somewhere in the manual. Yes, and now it is changed and I actually prefer the male voice....I dunno..to me the male sounds more like a co-pilot vs the female (a nagging sister type). ;-)
    I don't know too many sisters that nag. But wives....:)
  • I have not been able to figure oout how to do this either. On a couple of occasions where I have needed to I have gone into setup, personal information and then addressbook, found the entry, and then read it out loud to the voicesystem as a "Call number" command. Going in that way does not give you the option of calling automatically.
  • tayl0rdtayl0rd Posts: 1,938
    pat, I don't know where this request should be posted, but I think it's about time to reopen the Acura RL vs Audi A6 vs Jaguar S-type vs BMW 5-series vs Lexus GS thread, especially considering these cars are all new (or will be) this year, except the Jag.
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    Sure thing - click here and have at it! :)
  • I have experienced the same condition---but only when it is raining or the car is otherwise wet. I described this condition to my brother (a real "car person") he has the same condition in his Porsche????? It may be a Brembo issue but at least it is not unique to the RL

Steve
    Yes Steven...well if your brother is having the same conditions with his Brembo brake components on the Porsche, then we are in good company!

By the way has anyone seen the latest RL A-Spec Concept car...check this out

http://www.hondanews.com/CatID3000?mid=2005011025408&mime=asc