Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Acura RL

Comments

• sacguysacguy Posts: 27
    ((Why would a classic luxury car sell several thousands "below" invoice? reliability issues?))

Reliability was a problem with the electronics on the launch of the new MBZ E in 2003. Those "bugs" have greatly improved since then.

The reason the for the big discounts on the E320 are due to a new engine and model year change in March 05, it will become the E350.
  • jjacurajjacura Posts: 808
    Or test drive mine in Milwaukee, Mark, anytime. We can take the wives to Louise's Trattoria and have a lot of fun.

(Come to think of it from Louise's hilltop you can see our Acura dealership)
  • driftracerdriftracer Posts: 2,692
    lemon law stats, especially on Audi products, with BMW/MB thrown in, and the very unique stance that Honda/Acura takes in these cases.

Feel free to contact me offline, or I can post my personal stats on cases I've handled, or general stats from the firm as a whole (5 expert witnesses total).
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    Actually, since this discussion is about the RL, let's not get too far into "stats" on the reliability of Audi, BMW and MB - anecdotal though they may be. Thanks.
  • r2917r2917 Posts: 67
    Well, the 4Matic E320 with similar equipment level to the RL costs 20 grand more than the RL here. I doubt a person could get them to discount it by any significant amount to close that huge gap.

Sorry, a name and its history doesn't do it for me...I buy products based on what they offer not by their "prestige" or status which apparently is only used to try and impress strangers.

To me the key component of a luxury car is well, the luxury it offers.:) status and exterior appearance take a huge back seat for me.

Anyone here with RLs on the east coast drive this weekend through the heavy snow falls? If so, how did you find the car handling the snow?
  • I'm not on the east coast, nor have I driven my RL in snow.....yet, but I was really impressed with how well the RL behaved during all that rain we were having in So Cal a few weeks ago. The car always felt solidly planted, whether it was on the freeway or when I "slightly" floored it when the starter gun, I mean, when the light turned green at the intersection.

As part of my additional testing (the limits) of the RL, I did take one 90 degree corner a lot faster than the posted speed. The RL did a microsecond fishtail, but it then did its magic and pulled me through that corner. I was REALLY impressed!

Note: No other cars were around and this was in an empty business park at night.

My next evaluation is to take it to Mammoth Mountain (ski area) in two weeks to see how it performs in the snow. I'm not sure if we will have a snow storm, if not, it will be another test to see how it performs on a 5 hour trip.
  • "Anyone here with RLs on the east coast drive this weekend through the heavy snow falls? If so, how did you find the car handling the snow?"

r2917:

I live on the North Shore of Long Island and deliberately chose an area that hadn't as yet been plowed. I drove through eight to ten inches of fresh snow at about 40 mph and taking corners faster than usual, but not at 40. As you experienced, the RL wiggled, but barely, and pulled me through the corners. Under the same conditions, my '96 RL's tail end would have described a substantial arc going through the corners at the same speed. I feel very safe in the RL. The 1,000 miles that I've driven on dry roads, sometimes provoking the SH-AWD intentionally, and successfully, provided me with the expectation that the RL would perform well on snow; it did, but I honestly don't know how "severe" my test was in terms of speed. I do know that I would not have had the same assurance entering those corners on snow in my '96 at the speeds that I chose.There is a husky, protective quality about the RL, though I'd never be fool enough to expect a "pass." :-)
  • kacuratkacurat Posts: 33
    Thank you so much for clarifying that!!!
  • kacuratkacurat Posts: 33
    I too live on the north shore of L.I. and drove my RL out during our "blizzard". I did find that when I kicked up the acceleration a bit the back tail did kick out a bit, but maybe I am being too critical. I did feel extremely safe and protected in the car and the power to drive through the snow was excellent. My 2001 Honda Prelude couldn't make it through 1 inch. It's such a great car, I love it!!! IT was just me and the snow plows out on Saturday night!!
  • jmatthejmatthe Posts: 51
    I live in a very hilly part of western PA and have a far amount of snowtime in the RL. Best all wheel drive system I have driven and fully confident in passing under power in snow and ice. In fact it is so good at going and turning, it is easy to forget that all season touring tires are on the thing until it is time to stop! Just need to plan ahead a bit, but still tracks perfect under full braking. Easier to maneuver around obstacles by backing off the brakes to bring the car around, which it does predictably. Don't ask how I know this...
  • somnosomno Posts: 43
    I have noticed that my XM traffic is not functioning for the past few days in the LA area in Southern California. My XM radio is working and my GPS works fine.

Any others experiencing this problem?
  • jdsissjdsiss Posts: 1
    I may have finally figured out the locking problem. While reading through the instructions it's casually mentioned that one must push in on the starter switch when starting the car. Now, I always just push in on the thing before turning it and it seems to make the connection and link properly. I haven't had the problem since I started doing this.
    In this day of high technology I am reminded back when I was a kid and got something new. My dad would always say.. "Take some time son and read the manual..." :-)
  • soapkngsoapkng Posts: 21
    Here's a shot of my RL with the windows tinted and the 18" wheels...nice.

http://homepage.mac.com/spclst/RL/PhotoAlbum57.html

Enjoy!

DF
    I inquired about 18" wheels when we were getting ready to finalize the decision to order the car. We have the Celestial Silver as well. What you have done looks great.
  • soapkngsoapkng Posts: 21
    Here's a shot of my RL with the windows tinted and my 18" wheels:

http://homepage.mac.com/spclst/RL/PhotoAlbum57.html
  • Toronto Star article today on why the Infiniti M will kill RL sales - i.e. - RL overpriced.

Lesson 1 - Japanese Luxury/reliability/fit finish beats the BMW/Audi/MB set, hands down

Lession 2 - Acura juiced the RL pricing by about $12K Canadian - leaving their $71K vehicle looking at the tailpipes of the 'at least as equipped' M35x (about CAD$58-60K). Acura gets the 'Dummy' award for mismarketing their vehicle in Canada - too boring to take out German design at equal price, too overpriced for that wide swath of well-heeled $55-65K Canadian buyers who will opt M or LexusGS, 100% of the time. Shut out the lights, Acura Canada.
    " Shut out the lights, Acura Canada. "

You are always welcome to come to America when it gets a little dark in Canada! ;-)
  • kfhmailkfhmail Posts: 199
    I like the new RL, but I keep coming back to...Why...why would Acura offer ventilated seats on the RL in Canada but not the US???

Question for the RL Canadian owners...

Can you see how the seats are ventilated? (Is it just a "feed" off the line that cools the back seats?) Does this look like something that could be added to the cars in the US by a dealer or repair shop? (I would think there would not be that much that needed to be added.) Where is the switch located to activate the cooling of the seats?

Thanks for any info on the ventilated seats!!!
    "I like the new RL, but I keep coming back to...Why...why would Acura offer ventilated seats on the RL in Canada but not the US???"

It was an interesting trade off. We get XM Satellite and they get the ventilated seats. If you live in Phoenix (Or any warm climate location in the states) the ventilated seats would be an attractive feature to have. Personally, I love the XM and the ventilated seats would be a low priority issue. (We live in Wisconsin)