Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Acura RL

Comments

• shs111shs111 Posts: 39
    Just got a Motorola V551 on a Cingular contract and could not be happier. Had previously been using Sprint with their one bluetooth phone, which was a disaster (random drops, etc.). Good luck.
  • Hi shs111 -

I have Sprint and was going to get the LG phone that they offer. Did you have problems with the phone in general or just with the RL?

Thanks!
  • jjacurajjacura Posts: 808
    Time out Bodble2! Let's keep this fun and enjoyable. I am not the enemy.. I know that you enjoy talking cars. The RL is not the end all in cars. We both know that. And there are more important things in life to discuss like the fate of Terri Schaivo. (But this is a forum on the RL) Being retired doesn't suggest that people are suppost to lead a sedate lifestyle. I compete nationally in NMRA racquetball tournaments. You won't find too many sedate people among those ranks. I am competitive and have been all my life. I also have a sense of humor and the dial up thing was cute and I didn't take offense to your comments about that.
    You said: "BTW, I think you should re-read my post, again. You said...I don't think I said that it is MY OPINION that the TL SHOULD be playing in the V8 arena."
    Bodble..I didn't say that. I said and I quote: "You make a point that SOME PEOPLE feel the RL should be playing in that arena." That agrees with your point. and you said TL but meant RL. That's a typo but I'm OK with that too. I am not upset with you at all, I just happen to have a different opinion. You are right about one thing. The car you drive is not important in this. I was trying to understand your perspective. Sorry! Actually going back to Shotgun's post about the RL being compared to cars that have V-8 engines is interesting. C&D magazine did a huge comparison of luxury performance cars recently that included the RL with some cars that had V-8 engines and the RL did extremely well. I'll get you those numbers in the next post. Meanwhile Happy Motoring to you too my Canadian cousin. I have no bone to pick with you.
  • bodble2bodble2 Posts: 4,519
    "I have no bone to pick with you."

Nor I with you, jj. I think sometimes things get misconstrued in print, when you don't get the benefit of using facial expressions. I've always found your posts to be civil and helpful, so it was not my intention to be inflammatory. I do respect your opinion. Afterall, you actually own a RL whereas I'm strictly going on observation. So, all else being equal, your opinion would count for more.

And I was just teasing you about the "sedate" stereotyping.

Look forward to reading more of your posts in the future.
  • ksomanksoman Posts: 590
    As i'd speculated before the RL itself was launched... this segment now sees a real hybrid horse... comments?
    The RL compares very favorably with a lot of other Luxury Performance Sedans. Check this!

Car and Driver $55K sedan comparo:

1. M45 (219 points)
    2. RL (215 points)
    3. GS430 (208 points)
    4. E350 (202 points)
    5. A6 (199 points)
    6. 530i (198 points
    7. STS (191 points)
    8. S-type (181 points)

http://secure.grubbs.com/cardriver.pdf
    Glad to see it. Hybrids will revolutionize the automotive industry and as Martha says "...and that's a good thing" :-)
    That would be all right someday, an Acura RL_h giving us 30 MPG city!
  • shotgunshotgun Posts: 184
    To the contrary - I believe you're the one whose missing the point! Acura has always maintained that it positioned the Acura against the BMW 5, Audi A6 and MB E V6 variants - which effectively renders your devils advocate position moot!

Acura is sufficiently and automotively sophisticated to recognize and select which field it chooses to compete in. When and if Acura chooses to compete in the V8 arena it will respond appropriately! Should that day arrive, my estimation is that Acura will, again, set new standards and levels of performance their competitors will not only respect - but scramble to meet.
    THAT WAS PRETTY ACCURATE AND DIRECT.....MORE LIKE A 30-30 SHOT THAN A SHOTGUN! :-)
    I don't recall Acura specifically including ONLY the V6 variants of the aforementioned competing brands, all of which have V8 options. And besides, I think it would be stupid to compare one's product only with a restricted variation of someone else's product. It would almost be admitting your product ain't good enough, because the BEST from your competition would be better than your best. It's like saying Peyton Manning compares well with Joe Montana, but only when Montana was playing with a pulled hamstring. If you can't make an unqualified comparison straight-on, then don't even try to make the stretch. Worse than being not a contender is to be a pretender.
  • bigrobnhbigrobnh Posts: 114
    Hey! It seems like I just got my April edition and you go and ruin the thrill of reading the May.

Where'd you get that????
  • ljwalters1ljwalters1 Posts: 294
    Any 2 cars can be compared, regardless. That's the fun. And if you're considering a 2005 RL and a 2006 Lexis/Infiniti-whatever, you need to compare different years b/c that's what's available now.

If someone's considering an M45 and an RL, you have to compare the v8 to v6, so there's no sense in excluding things this way. FYI, the Passat had a v8 in a more upscale version, but I think it put out less hp than many v6s, so it's really HP, torque, weight, etc you want to compare rather than engine size.
    "you need to compare different years b/c that's what's available now."

Excellent point! Whether it is called 2005 or 2006, or whatever is strictly labelling anyway.
    You have a point. I pulled out a copy of Automobile magazine (July 2004) issue, On the cover was a picture of the 2005 Acura RL, the 2005 Cadillac STS, and the 2006 Infiniti M45. A great story inside. It was my first good look at the new RL. I knew I immediately liked the RL design over the M at that point but forgot that the M was a 2006. Now that the M has made it's debut, nothing has changed my mind.
    I'm not in the market for a new car (I'm too busy enjoying my '04 TL), but am keeping up with these models for my parents, and while I haven't gotten to test drive or see them in person, I like the RL better than the M, too. The M seems to cheapen itself with the interiors, using cheap seat insets to look like stitched piping and the color-scheme can be chaotic since unless you get the light tan, the dash, floor and center console are black, and regardless of the color choice, the headliner is gray. The RL is definitely classier, and even if the M is faster, I'd imagine for most of us, the RL has more than enough ponies for our enjoyment.

One nod Ihae to give to the M is that their voice nav system recognizes spoken street names. It'd be nice if the acuras did that.
    I like your style young Walters. Stick around for a while in this forum. It could get interesting.
  • aclcaclc Posts: 20
    In the C&D $55K sedan comparison, it is amazing how the V6 RL is compared to a V8 GS430 & M45....and rates HIGHER than the GS430!!! I suppose that the RL would crush the M35 or GS300 AWD, based on those results.
  • mariner7mariner7 Posts: 509
    Not really, MT already put M35 first ahead of 2nd-place RL, and others. Drivers Japan also put Nissan Fuga 350GT (M35 Sport) ahead of Honda Legend (RL). M35 is 200 lbs lighter than RL, down 20 hp but up 10 lb/ft of torque, is much faster than RL.
    Edmunds ranked the GS430 1st, followed by the RL, followed by the M. Here's a very much abbreviated summary: the GS is sporty enough to be enjoyable and is the most luxurious of the 3; the RL is between the other 2 in sportiness and luxury; and the M is the most sporty, least luxurious. The cars are close enough that the M's sportiness doesn't make up for its shortcomings over the GS & RL, but the GS' shortcomings are made up for by its luxury.

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Drives/Comparos/articleId=104808

If there's a discrepancy between C&D and Edmunds (and maybe consumer reports?), I'd probably go with Edmunds' report until I can make up my own mind. C&D is probably for the super-enthusiast who would do pretend slolams if on the road alone; Consumer Reports is more for the person who just wants to get from point A to point B without having to stop at the repair shop. Edmunds seems to be in between.