Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Acura RL

Comments

• acuraphileacuraphile Posts: 131
    "I don't believe that air actually ventilates through materials that you block with your body structure."

jj: I'm certain that our posts will arouse one or two sleeping engineers among us who will clarify the issue. The previous two RLs that I've owned have both had sheepskin coverings on the front seats - cool in summer, warm in winter. The leather on the current RL somehow doesn't present a comfort problem, even in the coldest weather - no sheepskin necessary. Additionally, the seats warms up surprisingly fast.
    Thanks for the response, and safe trip to Phoenix.

George
  • kyfdx@Edmundskyfdx@Edmunds Posts: 25,979
    Are they actually cooled? Or just ventilated?

I would guess just ventilated... Cooling seems like overkill.. If you are cooling the rest of the cabin, it seems just ventilation would be enough..

Where are all those Canadians when you need them?

Moderator - Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• jjacurajjacura Posts: 808
    I just summoned Bodble2 from another forum! Maybe he can answer this one or get an answer for us!
  • Unlike the Infiniti M or the Lexus GS, the seats in the RL can only be heated not cooled. The material is ventilated (e.g., it has holes), but they never hooked up any sort of A/C to it.

That would have been a GREAT feature for me, since I live in So. California. In fact it was the last feature that I debated as a "must-have", and almost drove me (pardon the pun) to the the M35.
    Well.. when we talk about ventilated seats, we aren't talking about perforated leather..

And, we are talking about Canadian market cars... We realize that it isn't available in the US.

regards,
    kyfdx

• bigrobnhbigrobnh Posts: 114
    I can't speak for how the RL works but I have them on my E320. There are a series of fans in the seat cushion and seat back (think my car has 10). They actually draw air through the seat and out a vent type thing in the seatback. The effect is subtle but noticeable. I actually run with heat and ventilation running simultaneously.

I would buy that feature on my next car.

Regards,
    BigRob.
    Good info, BigRob....

But, the question is:
    1)Is the air cooled by the A/C system?
    2)Or is it just ambient air from inside the cabin, drawn through the seats?

(Say #2, please....lol)

regards,
    kyfdx

• tayl0rdtayl0rd Posts: 1,938
    It's not really ambient air drawn through the seats. It's more that the heat from your body is pulled away from you which gives the effect of cooling because the heat doesn't build up.

I've noticed the vent fan on the back of the Mercedes seat. One bad thing about having the vent there is if you "rip one," it's going to blow right in the face of the person sitting behind you! LOL!
    well, both are correct since the A/C runs almost all the time with the climate control system (when it's functional that is) so the air that is being drawn thru is conditioned. However, 2) is the most accurate.

I think the idea is to create enough air circulation to prevent moisture (sweat) from developing.

I've never had problems with sweat when using perforated leather, however, as I've already stated, I do like this feature.

Regards,
    BigRob.
    true. we've often joked that they should have had a charcoal filter w/it. Then again, it probably wouldn't work and would be 500 bucks to replace.

Regards,
    BigRob.
    Thanks Bigrob.. that explains it..

A fan to draw cabin air through the seat...

I like it.. I wouldn't want to pay extra for it, but it seems as useful as heated seats..

regards,
    kyfdx
    (who would never "rip one" on a passenger)

• ljwalters1ljwalters1 Posts: 294
    "It's more that the heat from your body is pulled away from you. . .One bad thing about having the vent there is if you "rip one," it's going to blow right in the face of the person sitting behind you!"

Now in a truly luxurious vehicle, you can aim those at different passengers!

Just want to say I laughed hardily upon reading that post. Thanks, taylOrd!!!
    I too appreciate knowing how the ventillated seat in the Mercedes works. Thanks Big Rob.

Hmmm now I'm wondering if the RL with all it's refinement has some kind of built-in deodorizer?
    :-)...We still haven't heard from a Canadian owner.
  • kfhmailkfhmail Posts: 199
    When I started this discussion I did not realize how many folks are actually interested in the Process...

I sat in the new GS300 and the "ventilation" was on and it felt like cool air was being blown toward your body from within/under the seats. Felt like it would really be nice on a hot day.

The Lexus salesman said that on Lexus it is just fans blowing/circulating air (the internal air) not the AC.

Come on Canadians...we need your input since the RLs you get come standard with the ventilated seats.

The question:

How are the seats ventilated/cooled? Does this appear to be something that the US Acura Dealers could add/modify to the US versions of the RLs?

Also, where is the switch located to activate the ventilation.
    Thanks kfhmail...we are going to nail this thing once and for all!

I'm wondering if there are any Canadian RL owners that come to this forum anymore?

"OH CANADA!"
  • telvarintelvarin Posts: 1
    I'm not an owner yet, but I am seriously looking at the RL in Canada. I was recently reading a CanadianDriver review that had this to say about the ventilated seats...

"For Canada only, headlight washers and heated, ventilated, perforated leather front seats warm and cool their occupants using three fans built into the seat structure."

http://www.canadiandriver.com/articles/pw/05rl.htm
    Thanks telvarin...that was an excellant story, very well written, and even though it was 5 months old, it provides additional insights for anyone interested in the RL. (Really liked his use of terms like..."The 2005 RL, a $69,500 bundle of silicon chips, leather and horsepower should interest luxury buyers looking for a state-of-the-art alternative to German mainstays BMW, Audi, and Mercedes Benz." By the way, are dealers in Canada still holding firm on the $69,500 asking price?

kfhmail...on the ventilated seat dynamics, your observations were closer than mine. (Even if the USA cars had it, 98% of the time there is nobody riding in my back seat! :-)
  • Hmmm...I wonder why it was not made an option (or better yet, standard) in the US?
  • bodble2bodble2 Posts: 4,519
    jj, I apologize for not being around when needed. Today was one of those rare days when I couldn't sneak onto Townhall. I was in meetings all day, and then had a dinner engagement with the in-laws.

Anyway, telvarin has beat me to the punch. I was going to refer to the canadiandriver article.

Acura's own "Expression" magazine made a similar reference to "ventilated seats with both heating and cooling" which seems to imply that the cooling is in addition to the ventilation.

As to whether the cold air from the HVAC is pumped thru the seats, my guess is no, because wouldn't such direct contact between cold air and a "hot" object (in this case your rear end) result in condensation? Not really what you want in that region!
  • bodble2bodble2 Posts: 4,519
    I should add that I will likely be going to the auto show this weekend, so I will try to get a definitive answer on the inner workings of the ventilated seats!