Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Acura RL

Comments

• jjacurajjacura Posts: 808
    George, Thanks for your reply. And I would agree with our host.. it is good to hear you are on the mend and participating again. I can't speak for everybody but the fact of the matter is your continued participation is very important to this forum and I personally would like to see your "stuff" in here on a regular basis. Not only are your posts entertaining but often insightful and lend a little class as well.

I'm glad to hear about the Polk XM tuner installation. I know how much you enjoy Frank's place. It's my favorite as well however my wife enjoys "Watercolors" more, so when she rides, we mix it up a bit. Tell me, is there an additional monthly charge to operate the Polk tuner or does it pick up the signal via your initial agreement that was established with the purchase of the RL?

My favorite athletic activity is racquetball and I am fortunate to have good health to be able to enjoy the game into the retirement years. I have played competatively for 30 years and when the back allows it, compete in national masters tournaments. The 2006 tournaments will be held in Canoga Park, Ca.(March) and Minneapolis in (July). Then in 2007 my home club here in south eastern Wisconsin area should be the host. The timing will be good because I will play in the 65 to 69 bracket for the first time.

The RL is running well and I grow fonder of it as time goes along. We expect to take it on some trips a little later on this summer and fall.

PS...I now have your e-mail address. Thanks. (Sent you mine as well)
    JJ
    There were recent postings on another forum about crash test comparisons between the Audi A6 and the M35 but no mention was made of the RL results which I will bring forward here as a reminder to RL owners that we ride in the very safest of vehicles on the road! The following is information from Honda months ago when tests were done on 18 different cars: The 2005 Acura RL earned the highest possible ratings awarded during the most recent frontal and side crash tests for all seating positions and rollover tests conducted by the U.S. Department of Transportation’s Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA). Among the 18 vehicles tested, the Acura RL was the only vehicle to earn the top rating of “five stars” in all three categories. The RL is only the third vehicle in the history of the program to receive such high honors.
  • msu79gt82msu79gt82 Posts: 541
    Clarification: The recent tests released for the A6 and the M35 were the Frontal Offset and Side Impact by the IIHS. Both the A6 and the M35 aced the Frontal Offset with the same score the RL received. The IIHS has NOT yet tested the RL for Side Impact. Also the NHTSA has not yet tested the A6 nor the M35.

So in the only test (only apples-to-apples test available) all three cars have been tested in, ALL three passed with the highest score possible. In the other tests performed on the cars ALL three did very well; but no comparisons are possible due to the apples-to-oranges nature involved.

Bottom line the RL aced all three tests its been in, and the A6 and M35 also aced the two tests they've been in. Can't wait to see the NHTSA tests on the A6 and M35 as well as the IIHS side test on the RL.
  • cstilescstiles Posts: 465
    You can bet your bottom dollar that all 3 cars will ace all 3 tests. In essence, Honda, Nissan, and Audi have already completed simulated tests with test mules during the design phases for these models, to ensure that once real world tests are completed, each will score well.

I suppose it's possible that they may not all receive the absolute highest "best pick" ratings, since simulation isn't a perfect science, but it's close enough to ensure that these cars will all do relatively well. I'll be shocked if they don't all get the highest marks since it's the basic price of entry to succeed in the luxury performance category.

With unprecedented active and passive safety systems, augmented by superior handling and driver ergnomics (to prevent crashes in the first place), these cars represent paragons of safety.
    "Paragons of Safety"....I like that. and as time goes by I like to think the RL will continue to set the pace and become the "Paradigm of luxury performance! :D
  • hendjazhendjaz Posts: 155
    "Bottom line the RL aced all three tests its been in, and the A6 and M35 also aced the two tests they've been in."

I believe this is true with the exception of the M35 which did not completely ace the side crash test. The A6 was given the double recommendation for front and side whereas the M35 received the recommendation only for the front test. As already mentioned, the RL has not yet been tested for the side crash but did ace the frontal crash.

Notably both Audi and Infinit invited (which means they pay for it and have some confidence for the results) the immediate testing for the side crash test. Since the RL and many others have not yet been side tested, Acura presumably did not invite the early testing nor wish to pay for it.
    The RL was tested by the (NHTSA) back in Dec. for both frontal and side crash tests and received their highest ratings. More recently the (IIHS) tested the RL for frontal only and the side crash testing you say "Acura presumably did not invite the early testing nor wish to pay for it." You are saying a manufacturer can select which tests they want to take depending on whether or not they want to pay for them?

I wonder if anyone has an opinion on which agency is more credible or carries the most weight. The government or the insurance industry?
  • bodble2bodble2 Posts: 4,519
    "The government or the insurance industry?"

You mean who's the bigger crook? :P
    JJ, Here is a excerpted quote from the Insurance Institute"s 7-17 press release about the Audi/Infiniti test results that is on its website:

"Audi and Infiniti requested the front and side tests of these cars, and the Institute's policy is to grant such requests if a manufacturer provides reimbursement for the cost of the vehicles. "

Evidently a manufacturer can expedite the testing if they pick up the costs of it. Otherwise that testing will happen later or maybe not at all as there seems to be a number of vehicles that have not yet been tested for the side crash. The press release notes that the Audi is only the fourth vehicle to get its "double best pick" (for front and side) while the Infiniti gets a single best pick, the same as the RL at this point since the RL has not yet undergone the side crash test.

No idea which organization's testing is more reliable/credible.
    "You mean who's the bigger crook?"

Well I'm not going to go there, since I am a Veteran and also worked for a major Insurance Co.
    (Why do I get the feeling you are really from say... Chicago and established residency in Canada about 1967. (Just Kidding!)
    JJ
  • cstilescstiles Posts: 465
    It's not even close.

I've had the pleasure of meeting and spending time with Brian O'Neill from the IIHS, along with visiting his test sites on two occasions. There is no question that IIHS is substantially ahead of NHTSA. O'Neill is passionate and almost crazy about safety. Ths same applies to his second in command--Adrian Lund.

Especially with Bush in charge, NHTSA's funding is behind that of the IIHS, thanks to the insurers ponying up some big dollar support. IIHS's philosophy is to continue to push the envelope with testing methodology, so they force carmakers to progressively increase their own investments on behalf of safety. I wouldn't exactly compare O'Neill to Ralph Nader, but there are some similarities in terms of their tenaciousness in pushing for safety. Safer cars mean lower costs for insurers---so the industry has a vested interest in funding IIHS's mission.

IIHS is ahead of NHTSA in so many areas it isn't even close---offset barrier testing at 40mph vs. non-offset testing, rollover methodologies for SUVs, head restraint standards, side impact protection, anti-theft technology, and even improved automotive repair standards. IIHS is also directly connected with testing completed in other industrialized nations around the world, and it is a leading member of RCAR (Research Council for Automotive Repairs). IIHS does not work with other governments. Although he won't publicly admit it, Dubya is not a big fan of NHTSA because it's efforts ultimately add costs to business.
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    Now let's not get any further into things that are not specifically RL related, okay?

Back to our subject...
    Pat, I believe cstiles response and our brief discussion of the crash test results is very germaine to the RL and its direct competitors. We are looking forward to the Institute's side testing and results foe the RL. Since the RL had only been fully tested by one of the two testing organizations, it is a legitimate question as to which of the organizations might be more credible. I for one welcome opinions on this as most of us have little knowledge other than reading the test results when they come out.

Here's hoping for an RL "double" when it is finally tested in the all important side test by the Institute. Then it will match the A6 and exceed the M35.
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    This is not the place to debate IIHS vs NHSTA and it's not the place to get into the political forces behind those agencies.

Our subject is the RL sedan. We have a News & Views board where in depth examination of the crash testing methodology is appropriate.

If you or anyone else wants to discuss this further, let's take it offline instead of continuing to keep this discussion off-track.

Thanks.
    I would agree not to extend this subject as pertains to the comparison between agencies but cstiles information was excellant and did lend credibility to distinguishing the DIFFERENCE. And like hendjaz look forward as we all do to the results of the RL side crash tests with IIHS.
  • dibdib Posts: 9
    I got my RL on April 1. The manual says change the oil every 7500 miles; dealer says they know what Honda recommends and they respectfully disagree and recommend 3750 mile intervals. When I pushed the service manager, he said he would ignore the message lights and let the dealer's computer dictate what to do.

He also says that for the TL, Honda recommends changing the oil but not the filter (!) at 3750 mile intervals and both at 7500 mile intervals which he thinks is ridiculous.

This is a very reputable dealer.

Thoughts?

David B in CT
  • acraandyacraandy Posts: 8
    1st off: You can not change the oil too often, however you can wait too long.

That being said:
    If the oil says 7500 miles and you follow that guideline to the number I believe you will not have any issues. If you do have an issue, you will be able to produce evidence that you followed the guidelines.
    I (and others at my dealership) use the 7500 mile intervals as a feature that seperates the RL cost of ownership from other cars in the same price range.
    You are basically dealing with a disagreement between the people who designed, engineered, manufactured, tested and warranteed the engine and the person who sells it. I tend to agree with the former.
  • bodble2bodble2 Posts: 4,519
    Your dealer is full of it. He wants to pad his profit margin. I would not patronize this dealer because they have shown that they do not have your best interest at heart. :mad:
  • delmar1delmar1 Posts: 744
    From multiple dealers, I heard that the first initial oil change should not be performed until the first owner's manual change interval. That point is clearly indicated in the section regarding the break-in of the car.

The reason is that the first initial oil fill at the factory includes a special oil additive to aid in the break-in of the engine.

??? Anybody have knowledge of that?

Also...I agree to the concept that oil is cheap enough to change on a more frequent basis. I subscribe to the 5k rule...as it is more frequent than the 7500...but not where it will not consume too much of my time.
    Your information is exactly right on the FIRST oil change at 7,500 miles due to the special additive to that break-in oil. After that it really becomes a personal choice comfort level under 7,500 and you'll get different answers from service managers and mechanics depending on their preferences. (I personally like to keep changing out the oil and filter more frequently than 7,500 miles. My 2nd change was at 10,500 along with a tire rotation.