Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Acura RL

Comments

• Anybody else discontinuing the OnStar?

Yes, I'm discontinuing Onstar, even though two guys here in DC were just rescued because of their Onstar. The rescue personnel couldn't find them from their cell phone, but tracked them through Onstar. I figure that's a fairly unlikely occurrence.
  • cstilescstiles Posts: 465
    We had a great time. We made a last minute decision to take my friend's Durango and left the RL at home. My wife was paranoid about parking the RL near the drunken masses around Camp Randall, so she was relieved with the switch. This was my 2nd time to a Badger game (was also at the Oregon game you mentioned) and was again impressed by the crazy antics of the fans. We stayed for the 5th quarter and polka'd to The Bud Song many times. Wisconsin is a good team...athletic and well-coached. Ducks are just okay this year.

Our RL is pushing 7K miles and it's soon time for the first service. We've had no major problems at all, and although I usually don't get to drive it since it's the wife's car, have been very pleased with the couple thousand miles I've put on the car. Looking forward to the 1st service and various TSB updates on the software, which we'll do in the next couple weeks.
  • I'm going to keep OnStar. In the scheme of things, it's only $200 for the basic service and a handful of dollars for some phone units.Should my cell phone suffer a problem, it's nice knowing that there is Someone to Watch Over Me! -;)

LMBRL
  • jjacurajjacura Posts: 808
    "Should my cell phone suffer a problem, it's nice knowing that there is Someone to Watch Over Me!"

George, .(I think you would be all right with or without the On Star) Your comment also brings to mind the classic '56 Paul Newman movie "Somebody Up There Likes Me" In your case I'm sure that's true!
    I went in for the A16 service yesterday...Oil change, Transmission Fluid Change, and Tire Rotation. At 11,600 miles it was important to get this maintenance done and I waited for the car. I am actually going back next week and will leave the car there for the afternoon to get 3 updates taken care of...the PCM software update, Acura Link control update, and I believe the 3rd involves the Navigation system.... Others have posted info on some of these updates and I was just making sure this covers it. Are there any other updates I should be made aware of?
  • hendjazhendjaz Posts: 155
    Here's my post from another of the RL Edmunds discussions. This information was as of about 3 weeks ago when I had the updates done and is taken from the service invoice. I am not aware that there have been any newer TSBs since then but doesn't hurt to ask the service department.

"The three current TSBs are Service Bulletin 05-027, the PCM Software Update, Bulletin 05-028, the Onstar Control Unit update, and Bulletin 05-022, the Acuralink control update."
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    Hendjaz has answered your question, but for everyone's info, you can also check TSBs on this page: Maintenance Schedules, Recalls, and Technical Service Bulletins and you can ask any questions about them (like for the full text) in this discussion: Technical Service Bulletins.

Sorry if you already knew about these resources, but a lot of times folks aren't aware of them.

:)
    Thanks Hendjaz and also Pat......Thats what I like best about these forums...when you are looking for pertinent information you can usually get it here.

Just a quick story from my dealer yesterday regarding the RL (They are not getting the 2006 's in until later this month and have only 3 new 2005's left.) also I was talking to a young service attendant about the car and he asked me if I had driven the car through snow yet. We talked tires and all wheel drive and he told me about a guy that came in for service on his TL last winter and took out the RL for a drive in the snow while he was waiting. Upon returning he was so excited about the way the RL handled the snow and loved the way it looked he ended up trading for one on the spot and drove home in a new RL.
  • Folks,

I'm ready to replace my 2002 BMW 530i which Iove, but really want AWD for the snowy/rainy winters we get here in New Jersey. I've driven both cars, and really up in the air on which one to get....

The local Acura dealer quoted me 43,200 for an 05 and I'm still waiting on the BMW price, but looking for that car with sat radio and navigation. The Acura has my attention simply because the price is probably going to be 10K less than the BMW. I'd really like to hear from others what made you select which car and why. With my family growing, this is the last luxury car purchase I'll be making for a number of years, and want to get it right.

Thanks!
    L3
  • Hi L3, You mention that your family is growing. Make sure you sit in the rear middle seat in the RL and the BMW. The RL has very little head room and a hump in the back seat. I am not sure about the BMW. I have picked the RL for the interior styling and all of the free options. I also pick the RL for the reliability. Four people fit comfortably in the RL but not five unless it is a baby. We have four in our family. Our family car will remain the Acura MDX SUV for the roominess.

I am deciding whether to wait for the 2006 RL with less issues but more money or buy the 2005 RL. I got a slamming quote from the SoCal dealer. $40,800. Talk to your dealer about the $2500 the manufacturer is giving them.
  • Hello to all, please reply. I have been on the forum: "Acura RL: Problems and Solutions" and see a lot of problems with the 2005 RL. I want to know if I should wait until 2006 to buy the RL and hope that their will be less problems. The issue is that I think I am going to pay about $5,000 more for the 2006, this is my guess. I have a great quote of $40,800 for the 2005. They still have a lot of them on every lot I go to. The manufacturer is giving the dealer $2500 incentive to move the 2005 RLs. :confuse:
    Remember that the nature of that forum "Problems and Solutions" for all vehicles is to post problem issues so if you read any of those forums it will sound like there are a lot of problems. My 05 RL is officially one year old now (paid full msrp then and with no regrets) and has been painless to own and drive. I believe most are like this although some will find exceptions. Acura stands behind its vehicles so reliability is one of the reasons to buy, irrespective of whether it is an 05 or 06. No one can be sure that an 06 will be significantly different so there is a gamble in waiting. Bird in the hand is always a good rule, particularly at the 05 prices.
    At $40,800 the 2005 RL is an absolute terrific buy and I would think that you would have to pay more than $5,000 more for a 2006 in the near future. They haven't indicated a price yet and the only other criteria for you to consider would be the optional technology package of (Adaptive Cruise Control), (Collision Mitigation braking system), and Michelin PAX run-flat tires. Granted these are options but how important are they to you? Were you able to find the 2005 RL in your favorite color combination?

Like Hendjaz I too paid full MSRP with no regrets and the 2005 RL has been flawless. :)
  • msu79gt82msu79gt82 Posts: 541
    At $40,800 the 2005 RL is an absolute terrific buy and I would think that you would have to pay more than $5,000 more for a 2006 in the near future.

You could be right, but I doubt it. There are NOT enough changes in the '06 to justify $5000 more. Acura began heavily discounting the RL in April to boost lagging sales. Sales rose in August and September due to agressive discount pricing. It will be interesting to see November and December sales figures.

IF the rumors of greatly reduced production volumes are correct THEN upper $40s may very well be the case. Many RLs are being sold today to folks who will pay $41 but NOT pay $47+ :blush:
    Fewer RLs could very well mean higher prices for those who truly want that car.
    "Many RLs are being sold today to folks who will pay $41 but NOT pay $47+"

As a reminder, there seems to be considerable geographic disparity in pricing so I would not take the above statement as the gospel for all locations as some still have pricing in the mid to upper 40s. The low 40s may be available in SoCal and TX, and perhaps other locations, but readers should of course check their local dealers for "real" pricing in their region rather than relying on what they see in forums such as this and then have unrealistic expectations. Its actually a nice time of year to go to SoCal or TX, pick one up there and have a nice road trip home in a great RL with a few extra $$ saved in your pocket/purse.
  • Hi folks,

Let me first say I'm a die-hard BMW fan. Always have been. My wife drives an X3 and I have an 02 530i. I'm ready to replace my 530, as I really want an AWD car and SAT/NAV.

My last AWD vehicle was an 01 Audi A6 2.7 which was arguably the worst ownership experience of my life. Not only was the car a mechanical train wreck, but the local dealership was awful. I drive a lot for work, and although my RWD 530 hasn’t really let me down in rain and snow, I still like the idea of AWD... After making the emotional decision to plop down between 45-55K for a new car, I set about creating my short list. The BMW was a natural, as I've always loved them. I found the Lexus AWD and Infiniti unappealing and have never liked Mercedes. Then, along comes this RL... It's pretty amazing, loaded, drives great and it's 10K cheaper than a comparable 503xi with SAT/NAV! But, I'm not sure it's quite a BMW in terms of performance and handling. Yes it drives great, but there is something missing. I'm just not what’s missing is worth 10 grand...

Is the RL a 5 Series killer?
    I traded my 03 530i in for the 05 RL and have never looked back. No regrets. The 530 is really connected to the road and that is hard to duplicate but the RL comes reasonably close. The 530 has a bit better low end torque I believe also. Otherwise I prefer the RL on all other counts including the quality and appearance of the interior and electronic sophistication. I felt a year ago when I paid msrp that the RL was a great value and at current discounts it has become even a better one. I could never fault one for going with the 530 as it is also a great car but for my money, I would do the RL again today against the 530xi.
    "Its actually a nice time of year to go to SoCal or TX, pick one up there and have a nice road trip home in a great RL with a few extra $$ saved in your pocket/purse."

:) I will visit my daughter in a suburb north of Houston next month and out of curiosity will check on the inventory at Gilman, a brand new state of the art dealership nearby, actually one of 5 Acura dealerships in the Houston metro area. (No wonder they have so many extra RLs.) Here in the entire state of Wisconsin we have a dealer in Madison and another here in a Milwaukee suburb and that's it. (I believe another dealer is coming to the Green Bay Fox river valley area next year.) I am very familiar with both dealers as they are owned by the same person. Both do extremely well and know how to take care of their repeat customers. It's a good sign when you see familiar faces at a dealership year after year after year.
  • Thank you to all for replying. I am glad you all agree. :shades: No confusion. I am going to buy my new 2005 RL tomorrow for $40,800. You know, I bought my 2003 MDX in January 2003 and I paid MSRP. Most dealerships were over MSRP and they were hard to find. This was the third year model, so I guess I better jump on this. I got a deal over the internet at the second closest dealer to my house. I am also using the same internet sales departments to get this deal. Most of the dealerships will match prices. I was also able to get the color I wanted. Black on black. Say a prayer for me, because it is really dusty where I live, close to the desert. It just looked so good in black on the showroom floor. By the way I live in SoCal. If you all are in town, send me an email and I will lead you to the right dealership for the deal. You better hurry, because today the dealership said they had 13 RLs last week and now only have 7. Since they lowered the price this month, they are moving faster. He expects to run out them before the 2006 is delivered.

Should I buy the 7 year/$120,000 mile warrantee? I got a price of $1815. It seems like so much money for something I migh not use. I was also told that if I don't use it at all I can get some money back. Is this true?