Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Acura RL

Comments

• golfnut5golfnut5 Posts: 202
    The 2008 RL is up on the acura web site. Looks to me there are no changes, but I don't currently own an RL. Can any current RL owner tell if there are changes?
  • tamparltamparl Posts: 42
    Some color combos dropped. No new content. Slight price increase.
  • nebraskaguynebraskaguy Posts: 341
    The 2008 RL is up on the acura web site. Looks to me there are no changes, but I don't currently own an RL. Can any current RL owner tell if there are changes?

I don't see any real changes, but I am confused. Some of the pictures very clearly show the "shark fin" antenna, and some very clearly show that it's not there. Are the ones with the shark fin, merely old pictures that they've included here? I've always liked it and hope it's on the new model, as well.

I wish they would add some new colors. I'm bored with all the usual RL colors.
    Several discussions have taken place in this forum about the OE tires and a number of owners have changed to the Michelin Ultra Performance A/S Pilots and swear by enhanced road handling and smoother ride. Has anyone combined this tire with the 18" wheel? Any comments regarding road noise, handling, ride?
  • veritas7veritas7 Posts: 18
    The sharkfin antenna is a vestige of ONSTAR. A few of the 07's came equipped with it before they decided to pull the feature. I have an 07 without the antenna. I'm assuming they won't be on the 08 model but I don't know for certain. Those just may be old photos.
  • I'm surprised people are saying they get better handling after replacing the OEM tires. The handling is already so good it's hard to picture any improvement. What I would like is less road noise. Any thoughts on quieter tires?
  • vince69vince69 Posts: 2
    I purchased a 2006 RL and I am in the process of interfacing a cell phone with it. My first choice is the LG VX8300 using Verizon as my service provider. Anybody have any experiences with this model cell phone?
  • jjacurajjacura Posts: 808
    Neb. Guy, It's been a while since we commented on the same subject...and also hard to believe well over 3 years have passed since many of us lit up the pages of this once "hottest forum" on Edwards. Good to see you around. I believe the 18" rims will put you into another tire type period, the low profile tire, and this will give you a firmer ride. Not sure about road noise with it. Just spotted a later model RL 2 days ago with 18" shiney chrome rims and have to be honest...it really distracted from the overall appearance of this handsome car. The OE rims were truly well designed and compliment the RL immensely IMO. I drove out to Denver and back in June which was about a 2,500 mile jaunt and finally observed the comfort level of these seats over a sustained period and the drivers side was great but I have to be honest, (When my wife drove) the passenger seat became uncomfortable and the lumbar support that I need wasn't there and caused mild sciatica pain which I haven't felt in several years. Spent the night across the River from your home state of Nebraska in Council Bluffs. Found our favorite coffee shop "Caribou" as we drove through Omaha. The RL Navigation system is the best! Cheers!
    JJ
    Neb. Guy, It's been a while since we commented on the same subject...and also hard to believe well over 3 years have passed since many of us lit up the pages of this once "hottest forum" on Edwards. Good to see you around. I believe the 18" rims will put you into another tire type period, the low profile tire, and this will give you a firmer ride. Not sure about road noise with it. Just spotted a later model RL 2 days ago with 18" shiney chrome rims and have to be honest...it really distracted from the overall appearance of this handsome car. The OE rims were truly well designed and compliment the RL immensely IMO. I drove out to Denver and back in June which was about a 2,500 mile jaunt and finally observed the comfort level of these seats over a sustained period and the drivers side was great but I have to be honest, (When my wife drove) the passenger seat became uncomfortable and the lumbar support that I need wasn't there and caused mild sciatica pain which I haven't felt in several years. Spent the night across the River from your home state of Nebraska in Council Bluffs. Found our favorite coffee shop "Caribou" as we drove through Omaha. The RL Navigation system is the best! Cheers!
    JJ

JJ, Thanks for your comments. I wondered whether the 18" tires might result in a firmer ride, which I definitely do not want. Glad to hear it was comfortable for a long drive. Whether it's in my 05 RL or a new 08 RL, I plan to take a very long driving trip throughout the Midwest right after I retire next spring. BTW, if you drove down I-80, through North Platte, you were within 35 miles of my childhood stomping grounds. I hope you enjoyed the drive across my home state.

EW
  • acuraphileacuraphile Posts: 131
    Re my 2005 RL:

My tires were inflated with nitro-fill. I now find that i cannot remove the valve caps - even a lockjaw won't budge them - they appear fused to the valves. Has anyone else experienced this phenomenon?

Thanks.

Acuraphile
  • jjacurajjacura Posts: 808
    WOW... the good old days on this forum are BACK!
    :)
    Always great to see YOU my man. Wish I had a solution for you.
    May I suggest you also add your message to the
    RL Maintenance and Repair forum. Just click on:
    http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.ef4f332/802
    Take care and LMBRL George,
    JJAcura
  • Hi yall

I was wondering if any one knew, where to install the CD player in 1998 Acura RL or if u guys know where i can find the answer on the internet.

Thank you
  • tamparltamparl Posts: 42
    There is a TSB on this. By 2006 the valve caps were simply blue plastic. The dealer will replace the valves and caps under the TSB.
  • golfnut5golfnut5 Posts: 202
    The 08's are out, saw one at my local Acura dealer today.
  • My opinion is that this is that if you come from a really quiet, smooth car (Lexus, Mercedes, Audi and many American models) you will notice road noise and harshness in the ride. The road noise is so bad that when on the highway I cannot use the speakerphone because no one can hear me. Maybe I am just spoiled but I would not buy another unless the road noise is addressed. When I mentioned it to my dealer, he said they have had a lot of comments from RL owners on this issue. I have an 06 RL, which in every other respect has worked well for me.
  • I test drove an 2008 RL today and was shocked at how much road noise and harshness is let into the cabin of the RL. I currently own a 2005 TL and feel the ride is no better than a TL. I think the noise cancellation is a joke, you can't just cancel noise, you have to eliminate it. About an hour later I test drove a new 2008 Cadillac CTS and what a world of difference. The CTS was taut, but with no harshness, very luxurious. I hate to leave the Acura brand, but I want to trade up from the TL. Very disappointed in the ride quality of the RL. :cry:
  • Did you check the tire pressure of the RL you drove? Dealers are notorious for leaving too much psi in the tires for cars sitting on the lot. 2-3 psi above rating will cause tire noise and harshness in the RL (as it does in the lower profile tires on the TL).

I traded a 2005 TL for a 2006 RL and the RL is worlds better than the TL in ride, quietness and build quality. The OEM Michelins will produce tire noise on coarse, grooved roads however. And most agree the OEM Michelins are not the best option tires.

The Active Noise Cancellation (ANC) is designed to cancel low frequency boom (tyical of engine and exhaust boom) but does not address higher frequency sound as typical of tire roar and wind noise.

The RL does very well in low wind noise, thanks to the flush side glass. Tire noise would require more sound insulation adding weight. There are always compromises with every car maufacturer and model.
  • tamparl,

I did not check the tire pressure. I feel if a car has good insulating qualities a few extra pounds in the tires will not make too much difference. I may test drive another RL before I make a final decision.
  • If you want a quieter ride, go with Lexus or a Caddy. For good road feel and BMW-like road capability, the Super Handling AWD of the RL is about as good as it gets. For me, this is the only European-feeling vehicle from Japan and I am happy to own, drive and HEAR it perform.
  • Dear all.

I just bought this car from a friend this week.

The manuafacturer oringial tire size on this card is 215/60/16 with a V speed rating.

I would like to replace all 4 tires (it is time to replace tires anyway) with 225/60/16 with an H speed rating.

Costco Tire center staff would do it even if they do not recommend,saying it will feel very different with the slightly bigger/wider tires.

Anyone of you have tried this before and have any comments?
    I love to hear from you before I do anything.

Thank you all in advance!

a new member.