Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Acura RL

Comments

• wsag26wsag26 Posts: 124
    px260
    Exactly what I thought when I looked at the spy pictures. Reminds me of the Maxima. Looks like the same too..

designman
    Everyone is following each other these days. When one comes out with a vehicle getting good ratings, the other comes out with something looking the same. I don't know, but what is our brands coming too???
  • carguy58carguy58 Posts: 2,303
    Thats been happening for awhile. I mean the an 85 Accord really doesn't look that different from an 85 Pontiac Grand AM. Another example I noticed a 92 Camry and 95 Maxima have almost identical headlights. A 92 Camry still holds its styling well to a 95 Maxima to this day. I just think its trends. In the 80's it was a boxy look that was cool, In the 90's it was the "Jelly bean look". In the 00's its about cars looking tall and having as much interior room as possible. I just don't like mnufacturers making as much as interior room as possible with the individual car loking awkward on the outside. For example an 03 Passat has good interior and a nice exterior design. A poor example of making as much interior as possible and dissproportanite styling is the 03 Corolla.
  • varmintvarmint Posts: 6,326
    I agree with Designman on the TL. I'm not sure I would rate it as my favorite sedan, but the proportions are very well balanced and the details are tasteful.

Overall, the "visual mass" of the greenhouse is appropriate for the length and height. The length of the hood and decklid give the eye a nice long line to follow. In fact, the decklid is one of my favorite aspects of the design. It trails downward against the rake of the front in a nice smooth transition. The trunk-lid is a simple arched shape that mirrors the simple arched shape of the rear window. The long nose and purposeful grill (added in 2002) give the front an athletic look. The Mazda6 is the only other sedan I can think of with a similar excellence in proportion.

That said, the sheetmetal could use a bit more spunk. When you start with a good overall shape, you don't need gimicky lines and details. However, I think the current TL could benefit from at least one or two bold lines.

I'm waiting to see unobscured pics of the RL before making judgements on it. I think the current one is styled well for it's shape, but it's the shape of older sedans.
  • designmandesignman Posts: 2,129
    Luv design talk. The people in the BMW group seem to prefer maintenance, performance etc... they don't dwell on looks. Kirstie_h, how do we get a dedicated design forum? Perhaps it already exists? Edmunds is pretty deep... maybe I missed it? Thanks.

BTW I like the perceptions and descriptions I'm hearing around here. Kudos to all of you. Should have known, Acura attracts a good bunch. Keep it up.
  • l943973l943973 Posts: 197

I lightened up the image a little to get a better look at the side doors. The shape is similar to the design in the TSX and TL Concept.

The nose mask must be pretty effective in preventing rock chips. I wonder if they sell those. :-)
    The shape is the number one consideration--it fails. Accordingly, I believe the details will be boring at best. It is ironic how they plagerize, then believe that masking will protect their "innovations". I would have been happy if they just resculpted the chunky butt and gave it a well-endowed engine. Honda was the first-to-market with the luxury-division concept and perhaps the last to be afflicted with me-too marketing. You have to believe somewhere down the line they will have the wherewithal to overcome this... perhaps when we overcome SUVs and bottled water.

merc1, I did forget the XJ8... indeed a classic looker. I also like the low CG. However I don’t like the butt... has the safety pin look that has plagued the industry and is epitomized with the Neon, Camry and... sorry... MB E. I find the tail lamps of this ilk abominable. They remind me of the last hunk of salami that sits on a deli shelf.

The Vanquish is another heavenly masterpiece on the exotic level... curvaceous, athletic and yes... a butt that beats the Porsche. Dont’ like the fish-mouth signature grill however. The prominent upper lip sticks in my craw.

Enzo doesn’t appeal to me. Although it has the brickyard influence, I find it to be a little on the dorky side. In general I’ve had a love-hate affair with Ferrari.

I don’t know... was Lamborghini the Bill Gates of SUVs with the LM02? Looking into my crystal ball I see a world with mom’s driving their helmuted little dollies to school in Hummers clad with shell-resistant armor.
    You guys are right. The TL needs a little salt. Also, I shared the road yesterday with an 03 Audi 8 and decided I like it better than the 04. Revison:

1st : 03 Audi 8
    2nd: 04 Jag XJ series
    3rd: 03 BMW 5 series
    4th: 04 Audi 8
    5th: 03 Acura TL
    6th: 03 Acura RL

For the ages: I would imagine the following gets discussed in the Mazda forums but I loved the 929--there was a shapely bourgeois beauty. Too bad it wasn't around longer.

Would like to hear your favorites and takes.
  • bartalk2bartalk2 Posts: 326
    Did someone say the '05 RL will be over 200" long? Is that speculation?
  • merc1merc1 Posts: 6,081
    My listing:

Large Sedan: Mercedes-Benz S-Class (especially "Sport" trim). Runner ups: Audi A8L, Jaguar XJ and Bentley Arnage.

The Mercedes S-Class, say a S500 in Sport guise is just a classic, imo. All the right proportions, and it looks like it will inhale the road. The Audi is also a classic, very subtle, conservative, without being boring. The XJ has lost a little from the 03' version, but it's another car that carries it's maker's design language very, very well. The Arnage needs to explanation. If you ever get to see on in White, you'll understand fully. I'm waiting to see the Maserati Quattroporte in person, it promises to be a very interesting car.

Midside Sedan: Either the A6/RS6 or E-Class/E55 (tied). Runner ups: Jaguar S-Type, and BMW 5-Series.

Take the BMW off staring in Oct. I've been a fan of the A6 every since it's 97' debut, it was simply Audi's best looking sedan, up until now (A8). Ahh..the E-Class...my baby. Can't say enough about the previous design (1996-2002) or the one before that (1986-1995), I've always thought the E carried whatever Mercedes' current styling theme happened to be at the time, better than any of their other 4 door models. The S-Type has come a long way since 2000, with it's 03' facelift, it now looks and feels like a Jaguar inside and out. An afternoon in a S-Type R may have something to do with it!

Small Sedan: Audi A4 and Mercedes C-Class, tie again between Mercedes and Audi. Guess you know who I think makes the best looking luxury cars on the road. The A4 is tight, taught and now for 04' Audi has decided to paint the WHOLE car, that grey mess had to go! The C-Class, especially in "Sport" trim is simply gorgeous to me. Whoever designed the wheels should get a medal. Runner ups: thinking...maybe the 3-Series, Saab 9-3 in Aero form, and possibly the Acura TSX.

M
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,873
    There's an existing discussion for the BMW -- Good, Bad or Ugly - Current and Future styling trends of BMW, which may be what you were talking about.

If you want to open a new discussion on this board to talk about the direction automotive design is or should be taking, I have no problem with that. There are also a couple of active discussions about styling on the News & Views board, including the ever-fun Amateur Redesign Studio, Eyecandy, whats the hottest car out there?, and Oh the horror! (Opposite of the eye candy topic).

If you want to start a discussion here go ahead, or if you'd prefer that I name it and start it, just let me know.

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• l943973l943973 Posts: 197
    With the official press release introduction of the 2004 TL, we at least know it will match the TL in features and then add on top of that.

2004 TL
    - Dual Zone Climate Control (finally!)
    - 10 way power driver seat (Lets hope for 12-way in RL)
      (Acura, please offer at least 8-way for passenger in the RL like in the MDX touring).
    - DVD Audio (could easily see this in the RL)
    - Electronic Brake Distribution (we already knew this I suppose).
    - 4 piston Brembo Brakes
    - Drive by Wire Throttle
    - HandsFreeLink to hook up to Bluetooth phones
    - HIDs (low AND high beams).
    - Curtain airbags w/rollover sensor

Somethings that didn't make it into the TL, but did in the 04 MDX that we may see in the RL.

- Rain Sensing wipers
    - Tire Pressure Monitor system
    - Acoustic Windshield glass (is this new??)

Things that didn't make it into TL or MDX but are available in Japan's Inspire or Avanzare model.

- Variable Cylinder Management
    - Collision Mitigation System
    - Intelligent Driver Support system
    - Lane Keeping Assistance system

- Intelligent Cruise Control (radar)
      (If this is available, the parking distance sensors will probably come for free).

- Active Noise Control in engine
    - Rear Electric Sun Shade
    - Smart Card Key System

Where's the electic steering found in the S2000 and NSX? Maybe in the next RL?
    So far everything listed has also been in the DN-X Prototype. Stuff not listed from the DNX include

- variable dimming window glass
    - night vision with camera
    - active headlights (like in Tucker and RX330).
  • Does Acura really want to cram that many electronic gadgets into the RL and turn the RL into an unservicable and therefore un-ownable car a decade from now, like much of its larger and more upscale German competition has become?

I question the likelihood of all that gadgetry making its way into the RL in anything except small doses.
    I expect that is exactly what they want to do. People who buy cars at this price-point do not change their own oil, so service issues are, simply put, not an issue.

What is an issue is being able to impress others with how fancy the dashboard looks. The more it looks like Darth Vader's bathroom, the more it will impress.
  • Edmunds described my Prelude's interior as reminding them of Darth Vader's bathroom. And they weren't being complimentary in saying that.
    It's an expression I picked up in the 80's when a friend described the interior of his new sports car. It had dozens of lights and buttons mixed in with the primary controls on the dash. The "gee wiz" factor was fairly high. I'm thinking Edmunds has a different interpretation.

Regardless, I do think it's true that lux car buyers want a certain amount of complexity in the car. Not so much on the most common controls, but they do want to be able to brag about hi-po suspension, engine tuning, headlights, gauges, and electronics.
  • jmw4jmw4 Posts: 67
    I had a 2000 RL which when driving over 30 minutes at a time, I would detect a faint odor in the cabin which I would best describe as similar to burning candle wax. I now have a 2002 which has the same scent. The mechanic in the dealership said that it is typical for engine compartment smell to enter the cabin. He said to run the air or heat on recirculate to eliminate this. I tried it yesterday and he was absolutely correct as the smell ceased immediately. Obviously, it is a trait of these cars and rather odd in my view as I have never had any smell like this in the many other cars I have owned. I was wondering if anyone else has noticed this.
  • Have a 2000 RL and started to get a musty odor with AC on with vent set at fresh air. Changed the cabin air filters and that took care of it. I replaced them after about 3 years and 30k miles. Will probably cut that in half next time. Bought Fram filters ($35 for the pair compared to $85 from Acura). The Frams look a little different, but have worked very well. Not to hard to change, just takes some time and some patience to reinstall glove box damper/spring. Leaving the vents on recirculate can cause the cabin to fog up and will give you stale air after a while. I would have the cabin air filters changed and leave the air on outside.
  • A 5000 mile 00 RL being sold by an Acura dealer and they have not certified it ?? Something does not smell right here. JMHO.

Get it checked by a local body shop for any frame damage through an accident.

Later...AH

PS: Acura dealers are not authorised to sell a vehicle as an Acura certified vehicle, if it has been involved in an accident.
    Kirstie, thanks for the response and offer in post #91. I think for the moment I'll just go island-hopping around here.

Merc1, respect your taste even though MB is not my cuisine. Enjoy your posts in other forums also.

Varmint, I agree with you on complex dashboards. The more detail, the better IMO. I also think a well-detailed cockpit has ergonomic advantages--one glance and one move to each function is the goal. And at night, nothing beats a dash replete with illuminated dials and controls... elevates the driving experience to the ethereal.
  • jchan2jchan2 Posts: 4,956
    I'd think for a little bit more tech than the new TL but otherwise still a very durable product. Unlike that 5-Series down the road with iDrive.
    Thanks.

jchan2,

With all the "stuff" on the new 04 TL the 05' RL should be a tech knockout. I'm pulling for at least a 300hp engine and awd, and some truly good looking styling, not just a larger TSX/TL theme.

M
    I'm pulling for a IMA engine. How's 300 HP while still getting 33 MPG!!!????
    I was too, but I don't think it will happen at least not initially.

M
    I've been hoping for an IMA version fo the RL, but I think that will come later. Right now, I think the best we can expect is the Valve Cylinder Management System from the JDM Inspire.

While it's still "experimental", I wouldn't be surprised to see the Collision Mitigation System as either standard equipment or an option.
    it'd be nice. You could drag race with the tuned Civic at the stoplight and still be environmentally responsible.
    News Flash: I just got my Oct. issue of CAR magazine tonight and they're saing the new RL will be at Tokyo and will have the IMA system! The V6 would put out around 200hp with the electric motor making up the rest for a total of 300hp. We should know if any of this is true in about one month.

M
    Promising news, but... only 200 from the V6? Not at all Honda-like.
    We can dragrace with the Civic at the stoplight!!!!! What size was the V6? 3.0, 3.5, etc..... But both the 3.0, and 3.5 make at least 240 Horsepower with Honda....... What happened here, Honda. Lost some HP with the CVT tranny conversion? I'm still glad we're getting a powerful Hybrid to compete with that diesel E-Class.
    Actually 100 horses from the IMA is a little ambitious as well. If I had to guess, I'd say the engine would crank out between 240 and 260 with an addition 40-60 coming from the IMA. Electric motors generate quite a bit of torque at take off, but they lose it as the RPMs climb. In fact they lose quite a bit before the engine gets out of idle speed. So most of the electric power is best for low rpm performance. With that in mind, there would be little reason to tune the engine for the bottom end and it should be capable of more traditional Honda power.
  • Owned three of the big Acuras in a row and they just get better with every redesign. When will the 2005 RL actually hit the market--what month? Thanks.