Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Acura RL

Comments

• carguy58carguy58 Posts: 2,303
    I like Acura's old styling too of the 90's but this new styling is more competitive with the styling leaders such as VW/Audi, Nissan/Infinti, and Mazda. BTw, How is the TSX copying Cadillac? That car looks very Japanese to me. The 04 TL maybe is the boldest thing Acura's done since the 91 Legend Coupe.

I do like this "art of science" as somebody before that Acura is doing now. The old school Acura's sported beautiful and conservative lines. The new school Acura's while still have beautiful lines but are getting bolder which I like.
  • jchan2jchan2 Posts: 4,956
    call that package the "PREMIER LUXURY PACKAGE" and add $3495 to the price of the base RL and get:
    Parktronic
    NAV/Bluetooth/Satellite system
    Solar Climate Control System
    FREE one year subscription to XM or Sirius Satellite Radio (on top of the free three month trial period on the satellite radio)
    FREE two year subscription to On-Star. (on top of the free one year with the base RL)
    Then, Mercedes and BMW have something to worry about. Not to mention Lexus, Audi and Cadillac.
  • gteach26gteach26 Posts: 576
    Detroit just ain't happening!! There is NO buzz for this vehicle ANYWHERE that I can find. I hope Acura is planning on yelling SURPRISE!! when this car comes out because for now info is non-exsistent.
  • tomcat630tomcat630 Posts: 854
    Acura is too busy selling MDX's.
    producing enough TSXs for the consumers. TMV on the TSX is MSRP.
  • merc1merc1 Posts: 6,081
    Guys there is nothing going to happen at Detroit concerning the RL, bet on the New York show.

M
  • reece1reece1 Posts: 2
    Don't know if this was posted before, but here is what Auto Consumer Guide website had to say about the 2005 RL (updated 01/08/04 so it's recent news)

News: A clean-sheet 2005 RL is expected in spring of '04, which implies a mildly disguised "concept" preview at this winter's auto shows. Unlike most rivals, and contrary to earlier rumors, Acura's new flagship will be another front-wheel drive/V6 design, Honda having decided that a rear-drive/V8 car wouldn't sell well enough to justify development costs. Look for a larger, stronger V6--likely a 3.8 with around 300 hp--plus a 5-speed automatic transmission to replace today's 4-speed. One reputable industry source says a hybrid powertrain may be offered instead of this or possibly as an option. It's said to mate a 160-hp electric motor with a 250-hp 3.0-liter V6 designed to run on three cylinders for more economical highway cruising. We'd guess the dual-source powertrain won't be offered before 2006, but Honda has been working on "big hybrids" for quite sometime, so it could be on the chart from day one. We'd definitely expect the new RL to be more visually interesting than the current model, perhaps sporting a few cues borrowed from Acura's redesigned '04 TL midsize sedan. More details should surface soon, so keep checking back with us.
  • gteach26gteach26 Posts: 576
    Thanks! I just scratch my head as to why such a potentially exciting car due out so soon has so little buzz and anticipation.. Yes, I know they want to clear out the '04's but come on! For example, people have been drooling for the new Lexus GS for almost a year now.. but then again, all of that anticipation has led to quite a letdown for some of those GS fans.. I hope Acura comes out with a nice surprise... soon!
  • varmintvarmint Posts: 6,326
    It certainly looks like Merc1 is right. Having read rumors like the one posted above, I was expecting a springtime release. Isn't the NY auto show in April? That would be a little late.

Along with the release of the hybrid Accord, Honda has leaked that they will release another VCM-engined car in the fall.

Introduction in 2004 of a V6 powered gas-electric hybrid Accord using Honda's Integrated Motor Assist (IMA) hybrid system in combination with Variable Cylinder Management (VCM) technology for V6 performance with fuel economy equivalent to a four-cylinder Civic.

Introduction in 2005 of a Honda-developed fuel cell stack with increased performance and fuel efficiency, reduced cost and the ability to start in below freezing temperatures.

Application of Honda Variable Cylinder Management (VCM) technology to another new model to be introduced this fall.

http://hondanews.com/Forms/corp/*ws4d-db-query-Show.ws4d?*ws4d-db- -query-Show***005848***-wieck_media***-***corp(directory)***.ws4d- ?corp/results(r)_text.html

There have been other references to VCM appearing in the Ody, but maybe this is it for the RL? The TL concept was shown at the NY auto show and released last fall. The timing matches...
    the RL will be delayed until a fall 2004 launch, with the RL being launched in New York.
  • varmintvarmint Posts: 6,326
    Yes, that's what I'm thinking. The question I have now is, is the RL the one getting VCM, or is it the next gen Ody? I suppose both might get it and Honda is just naming only one to keep people guessing.
  • pjamupjamu Posts: 11
    Hi,

What would be a real bargain price for certified 2000 RL without navigation with around 35k miles on it? The was leased by previous owner. The dealer is quoting 23,000$, whereas I am thinking it should not be more than $22,000. The reason being - new cars are available at 37,000$ and if you count 4 years of depreciation, it should be atleast 15-16k - thus the price should be around 21-22k.
    Can anybody help here with my calculations and experience driving/purchasing used RL? What is the best deal anyone has got on certified used RLs with 35k miles and 3-4 yrs old car?
    With this budget, I can buy a new Honda Accord, but I am thinking used RL might be a better choice overall with one big exception - gas mileage. What do you think about the comparison?

thanks
    Hi,

What would be a real bargain price for certified 2000 RL without navigation with around 35k miles on it? The was leased by previous owner. The dealer is quoting 23,000$, whereas I am thinking it should not be more than $22,000. The reason being - new cars are available at 37,000$ and if you count 4 years of depreciation, it should be atleast 15-16k - thus the price should be around 21-22k.
    Can anybody help here with my calculations and experience driving/purchasing used RL? What is the best deal anyone has got on certified used RLs with 35k miles and 3-4 yrs old car?
    With this budget, I can buy a new Honda Accord, but I am thinking used RL might be a better choice overall with one big exception - gas mileage. What do you think about the comparison?

thanks
  • prophet2prophet2 Posts: 372
    $23K is high. You ought to get it for $2K less. I bought my '96 RL in 2000 with 36.8K miles on it. Non-NAV. Paid $20K + TTL ($21.3 OTD).

Now at 90K miles and still running smooth as silk. Regular service every 7.5K is helpful.
  • jwilson1jwilson1 Posts: 956
    The car you describe has a TMV here of $24000 for certified. Trade-in is down around $19000. Make an offer. You should be able to get 5-10% off his listing -- i.e., $21-22k.

But if it's a nice car and you like it, it will last you probably another 150000 miles and you'll never notice a thousand bucks after a year or two. JW
    Hi,
    Did you have certified car? Did you buy it from dealer or owner?

Another question - with such a reliable car, do you need certification from Acura and pay 2-3k more?

What is the gas mileage you are getting on your RL?
    thanks for your posting
    Hi,
    I have read many of your previous postings and I think you have been tracking RL for quite some time now.
    With new RL coming 3000$ under invoice, what is the logic of having a used car price at the indicators that Edmunds suggests. Kelly's Blue Book and Edmunds always quote high for used cars. Plus to what extent are these cars in demand in the market? Are used RLs selling easily? What was the typical lease-end residual price for 2000 RLs?

I personally feel 21500$ for a certified RL is the right price unless there are many who would buy these at 23 or 24k.

I would have bought used TLs, but they had transmission issues. Did RLs also have similar tranny issues? Lots of 2001 and 2002 TLs had transmission failures or issues reported.

Were there any major issues or recalls for 2000 RLs?

Appreciate your help.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,830
    Hi pjamu. This discussion is about the 2005 RL, so I've moved your message to our active Acura 3.5RL discussion. That's where you're most likely to get feedback on the 2000.

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

Yes, I've followed RLs for several years and drive an '02, on lease, but I won't be able to answer many of your questions as I don't have dealership experience.

I've found TMV to be fairly accurate in this area (NE) but you say it's high where you are and you may be correct. As I said above, make an offer. The amount you're suggesting is certainly not outrageous. If the dealer says no, then you have to decide how much you like the car.

I bought mine because a friend of mine had a 2000 that I liked very much. To me (only!) it is a preferable car to an Accord or an ES300 and a bargain at its price -- many others disagree of course.

I don't think RLs could ever have been described as "flying" off the lots.

No, there have been no big issues on transmissions. The only recall I remember so far on my '02 was for a brake light switch which, when it went, wouldn't allow the car to start. You can do a search on a federal site (DOT? not sure ... l'il help someone?) to check the recalls on the '00.

Finally, gas mileage hasn't been an issue for me. I'm about 50/50 highway/city and average about 21mpg in winter (with tires at 30psi) and about 22+ mpg in summer (with tires at 34psi).

It's a real nice car. The style will remind you of every LS400 or E-series MB that you see, so it's not going to get you ver excited. The "performance" is seamless, not exciting or even interesting, but if you do a lot of highway miles, as I did when I got mine, it is a reliable, luxurious, comfortable, and economical ride. My only problem with it is that I get bored, but it's good that I also never have to think about it with the rest of life's challenges. Nice stereo if you're into that sort of thing. JW
    My car was not "certified," but it did have an extended warranty which carried over to 7/31/03 or 100K miles, whichever occurred first. This paid for the replacement of an oxygen sensor which went bad in 2002.

Car was purchased from a Honda dealer.

$2-3K extra for certification is too high. It only adds one year/12K miles to the balance of the factory warranty. I purchased a certified 2001 Integra LS in August 2002 (12K miles) when the fee was $800. That in effect "restored" the warranty back to 4 years/50K miles. It turned out to be a waste when the car was "totaled" four months later in December 2002.

I get an overall 19 mpg, with a high of 21.5 and a low of 17.0. It is a little disappointing as my 2001 Odyssey EX gets 22-23 mpg.
  • wow you guys must hit it hard. I get around 20 city and 25 highway.

The 2000 RL's coming off lease are a great car for around $20k. I am pondering getting another one. I bought my current '00 new and have had 44k of great performance.
    I live on a 604 sq. mile island, so not much chance for extended drives. It would be worse except I rarely get caught in the morning and afternoon traffic jams. 19 mpg isn't that bad.

I've put on 54K miles since 10/00 and the car still runs smoothly. I'm not trading it when I get another car ('04 TL; truck; or whatever) - keeping it around as a spare set of wheels.
    I got a deal of 21000$ + tax for 2000 RL certified with 37000 miles on it. It also has navigation and CD changer.

Do you think this is a good deal?

One thing that i am concerned about is - It was bought by the dealer in auction and the dealer does not have its repairs or maintenance history. They did the usual certification related inspection and servicing. The dealer also promptly came down to my asking price and that made me start thinking about the reliability of buying such auctioned car. Do you think it is a risk? Why would the car be auctioned? It was leased originally. I am not familiar with this auction stuff for cars. Carfax is clean, but could there be any other loopholes? How to be certain about its history?

I found out that many dealers buy cars from auction, then certify then through inspection and servicing and then sell it with profit. My first question then is why would the car be auctioned at low price if it is in good condition? Any help?

THe deal is good, but only if the car was kept good and there were no major failures or accidents. The auction thing gives me insecure feelings. I would appreciate all the inputs here.
  • Honda finance is auctioning the RL's coming off lease because they have to get rid of them. Dealers get the first shot and then they go to a general auction. It is amazing how cars move around the country. The only ones I would avoid are those that spent time in the Northeast because of salt in the winter. I am in the south Central US where rust is not an issue.

You can find out its warranty history from an Acura dealer. Contact the service manager and give them the VIN. They can tell if any serious work was done.

In general, RL's like these coming off lease with around 30k miles are cream puffs.

Yours is certified so you have powertrain warranty to 100k which should cover you pretty good. I think $21 for an RL with Nav is fair.
    If a dealer has 2 RLs and another comes in, he is likely to auction what he's pretty sure he won't be selling so a dealer who needs a car can get it for a quicker turnover. I wouldn't worry at all.

I think it sounds like a good deal. There's no guarantee about the car, obviously, but you can ask the service mgr. to look up the warranty history on the car (as Mr. Mason suggested) and you've got a 100000 mile warranty. Not much more to ask about. JW
    It should not be necessarily a negative factor. It's the leasing company that owns the vehicle, not the dealership. In my case, Mazda American had me return the Millenia directly to the auction house, not any of the dealerships. Any dealer (not just Mazda) was free to bid on it.

Even though Mazda values sank like a rock, it wasn't my problem. The car was in good shape, with 42K miles (the lease allowed 50K). If a dealer got it low enough to turn a profit on its re-sale, that was his good luck.
  • saugataksaugatak Posts: 488
    I know we're not supposed to link to other sites but I found this very brief article on the new RL and I'm posting it in its entirety.

"Whenever you talk to the experts about Acura, the first words out of their mouths are RWD and 8 cylinder.

Speculation has been rampant that the next RL would be a RWD 8 cylinder.

The Spies say that couldn't be further than the truth.

We've learned that Acura will not only go against conventional wisdom and NOT make a RWD, 8 cylinder car, but create a new revolution with the first 300HP, 6-cylinder HYBRID engine!!!!

Wow!

Imagine no performance compromise AND 40MPG!

Forget the Prius, this will be the car to own if these rumors are true...

The car will be shown to dealers at their meeting in August and be available in the October/Novemeber timeframe.

Also, look for an even better design interpretation than the new TL. We're told the new RL is WAY more attractive.

We can't wait!

By the way, the American car companies are planning their killer strategy by waiting to have a car like this for ten years, so they can TOTALLY lose this market to the Japanese! ;)"
    beating the tuned Civic at the stoplight AND getting 40 miles to the gallon. Talk about waiting lists!
  • motownusamotownusa Posts: 836
    This car is suppose to be a status symbol. Hybrid is good if you want to please the environmentalists but nothing beats RWD V8 when it comes to power, ride and handling. When will Acura realize that?

P.S. - Honda/Acura has no concept about torque.
    I disagree. If you can make a FWD car drive almost as good as a RWD car in some cases (Volvo S60, Saab 9-3, Acura TL) then by all means, save development $$$ and use FWD, with a V6 and a Hybrid.