Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Acura RL

Comments

• igibanigiban Posts: 530
    I was told by a dealer will look like TL just bigger and more luxurious. Anyone heard that too? The new GS might be head to head with it next year.
  • jchan2jchan2 Posts: 4,956
    it'll be interesting to see Edmunds compare the GS300, the RL and the all new Cadillac STS.
  • Boy this new RL is gonna have to be pretty special to upseat the new TL just in feature content alone. What else could they add that the TL doesn't cover memory seating, power tilt memory steering wheel, laser cruise, rear seating controls, ac cooled seating? It's probably gonna be a near 50K car I'd wager, have around 300 ponies which would make FWD a big issue with torque steer so all bets are AWD is pretty certain.

I hope it's more of a true drivers car as opposed to the current sleeper. It sounds like this new upcoming model will be all the buzz, the current RL is so forgotten by the press and public.
    There'd be quite a bit of room of improvement I think. First of all, make the interior a true luxury car. TL has too much cheap leather and plastics. And how about some features already on an 'ES' but not on TL: auto rain-sensing wipers, sunshades, auto one-touch up/down on all-windows, and auto light-on. Of course being a $40K+ car, it's gonna offer more! Look that is like the new TL is cool. Anything is better than the current TL, come to think of it.
  • jchan2jchan2 Posts: 4,956
    A bigger TL, more features, AWD, higher price tag.
  • carguy58carguy58 Posts: 2,303
    What? The TL is best class in its class in my opinion for value. The Es 330 doesn't do much for me on the exterior. The offerings from the Germans the reliability isn't that good in my opinion(audi, Mercedes.) I don't think the new 5 Series looks better than the new TL either. I would rate BMW the favorite as far as upper-luxury cars go but this new styling Its too drastic and couple that with the I-Drive. The new TL is selling well so Honda must be something right.
    "Of course being a $40K+ car, it's gonna offer more! Look that is like the new TL is cool. Anything is better than the current TL, come to think of it."

I meant anything is better than the current RL! Easy pal...
  • carguy58carguy58 Posts: 2,303
    the current RL had nothing to offer really. I hope this one has something to offer over the competition. Upping the horsepower and adding AWD can't hurt anything but also can help a little. The vehicle can't be overstyled though.
  • I doubt it will be overstlyed, Acura has always had classic good looks that age well, no extra frills in the design. It's good now that Acura's finally gettin alot of good press with their new hot products. Watch when the all new NSX(finally) rolls out next year, this car will be all the talk. Look out Porsche, Ferrari!
  • jrock65jrock65 Posts: 1,371
    It's really gonna be a battle in the 40k-50k sedan class, with an all new Acura RL, Lexus GS, Infiniti M, and Audi A6 coming out within a year or so. The BMW 5 has recently been introduced, and the MB E isn't that old either.
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
  • Why did I buy an Acura yesterday?
    Price - While the window price is $46,145 (with destination), I paid $37,100 plus tag and tax (no other hidden fees). Of course, to make sure the negotiation to be simple and fast, I paid in full.
  • gteach26gteach26 Posts: 576
    Stoneycreek, I agree with you that the RL's are an excellent value at this time. If I were in the market for a car I would seriously consider it. This vehicle has EVERYTHING one could want in a car. Yes, I know, others prefer more power,etc., but as far as bang for the buck goes, this is a reliable, good looking (IMHO), and fantastically equipped vehicle for the money.

Still though, these deep discounts must mean that the '05 RL will probably be something special. I'll be in the market for a new vehicle come January and I'll be looking closely at the RL.

Enjoy your new ride!
  • varmintvarmint Posts: 6,326
    The current RL is so inexpensive, it could compete with the ES330 and other's from the TL's "class". That both a bane and boon for the model. It's supposed to compete with the 50-60K sedans. The fact that it compares nicely with lesser models sorta hurts the image of the car.
  • lenscaplenscap Posts: 854
    "...I agree with you that the RL's are an excellent value at this time. If I were in the market for a car I would seriously consider it. This vehicle has EVERYTHING one could want in a car...Still though, these deep discounts must mean that the '05 RL will probably be something special. "

Having the RL discounted so much is not necessarily a good thing. This reduces the resale value of the car and gives the impression the car is overpriced to begin with (note the last generation Infiniti Q45 for another example of this). The current discounts have nothing to do with how "special" the next RL will be and everything to do with the fact that market demand for the car is well below the supply.

Also, Acura has neglected adding key equipment to this car. Heck, you can buy a Honda Accord for $24,000 that has side curtain airbags and dual-zone climate control that you won't find on an RL. And cars like the ES 330 have items such as a power rear sun shade, rain-sensing wipers and a trip computer that you can't get on an RL.

I am confident Acura will address the RL's drawbacks with the redesign and it will once again be a strong competitor.
    The RL does need an overhaul, no argument there. For me, what the RL offers over the es, accord, etc. is loads more room. If I had a 37K budget for a car and wanted to spend it right now on vehicle where my hair won't touch the head liner I'd give the 04 RL a VERY close look. I know it is subjective, but to me it looks sharp, has more than enough gadgets to keep me entertained, and has a solid reliability record.

Of course, I'm saying that BEFORE the '05 comes out.. I'm willing to bet that after the new RL debuts I'll have a much less complimentary view of the '04 version.

And, by the way, has ANYONE heard ANYTHING about the '05 yet? When is it coming out? Features? Acura is either great at keeping a secret to promote current RL sales, or they're really poor in the "buzz" department.
  • varmintvarmint Posts: 6,326
    "Acura is either great at keeping a secret to promote current RL sales, or they're really poor in the "buzz" department."

Honda/Acura is very secretive about new vehicles. They even test cars in the dark to reduce the chances of them being photographed. I'm told they do it to protect current sales, as you remarked, and also to keep the competition guessing. It's harder to match the competition if you don't know what they are bringing to the table.

As for news... It will have another V6 and it will not be FWD (which probably means AWD). There's nothing else I would take to the bank. The RL is expected to be shown (in concept form) at car shows in April.
    a summer/fall roll out? I hope so.. Lexus unveiled its new GS in January but it won't go on sale 'till next year as an '06!! The thing is, I'll be car shopping in January and want as many choices as possible. So far I'm looking forward to seeing the new RL and the new Caddy STS. I'm looking for ANY excuse to get out of my SUV "phase" (owned only suv's for 7 years straight and am a current owner of an '03 Navigator)...but now I'm addicted to the roominess and the gadgets!! :)
  • mason11mason11 Posts: 7
    I saw a photo of Japanese 2005 Honda Legend / Acura RL with 3.5L V6 and 4WD. When it was tested in Germany the result was close to GT-R.
    I have a scanned photo of the car, how can I post it here?
  • ksomanksoman Posts: 590
    It better come out with a RL that's as close to the big bang theory of the universe or there are too many other players in the field. That price range is already crowded for the volume of buyers...

ksso
  • nowakj66nowakj66 Posts: 709
    For what it is worth, a booth attendant at the Columbus Auto show described the new RL as looking like longer and wider Acura TL.
  • prattsterprattster Posts: 59
    You first need to upload to imagestation.com, real easy to set up an account. Right click on the image then select "Properties." In the properties window, you'll see the address starting with "http." Select it, and copy the address.

To post the image here type [img src=your URL] but use < > in place of the brackets [ ]. Now lets see this puppy!
  • dunmicdunmic Posts: 4
    Can someone please tell him how to post a pic in the forum? I can't wait to see it.
    If you can't figure out how to post the pic here, feel free to email it to me if you get a chance. Perhaps someone else in here with an imagestation account will volunteer to have it emailed to them so they can post it?

Thanks! :))))
    looks nice! That's the first glimpse I've gotten of this car in any shape or form -- you'd think they were developing military secrets over at Acura or something!

To me the car in that pic has nice lines, and it does seem to fit into the "larger TL" category people have been speculating about.. we'll see. I know this sounds strange, but my initial impression was that it looked "audi-ish". Now I wonder, when is Acura gonna feed me some official pics?!

Thanks mason11!
  • l943973l943973 Posts: 197
    Here is what VTEC.net is posting about the RL
    ----------------------------------
    "Soon after I posted the news item regarding the latest buzz on upcoming products, I received a bit more information on expected changes for the 2005 Acura RL. Here's an updated summary:

300HP 3.5L V-6

AWD (VTM4)

Aluminum body parts, including hood, roof, trunklid

Sized larger than 5-series/E-class, but smaller than 7-series/S-class. Perhaps to be positioned against Lexus GS or Infiniti M45.

"Smartkey" for door, ignition, and trunk

Sportshift with steering wheel mounted "paddle" controls

Adaptive headlights (move with the steering)

Adaptive cruise control

Power rear seats

"Stunning" interior

We've also received the following information regarding the available colors and accessories:

Exterior Colors: Desert Mist, Deep Blue, Meteor Silver, Ruby Royal Red, Medium Silver, Silver Metallic, Premium White,
    Graphite Pearl, Nighthawk Black.

Interior Colors: Black, Grey, Beige.

Available Accessories: All Season mats front and rear, trunk net and tray, wood steering wheel and shift knob, back up sensors, gold emblems, door visors, nose mask, color matched splash gaurds, rear deck lid spoiler, +1 chrome look wheels, and A-SPEC (wheels, tires +1, suspension, and deck lid spoiler). "
  • l943973l943973 Posts: 197
    So I guess our joke about seeing an RL Type-S isn't so far off if they are offering an RL A-SPEC
  • aggie76aggie76 Posts: 265
    Do I see a little VW Phaeton in the posted image?
  • dunmicdunmic Posts: 4
    Thanks Mason

The car looks nice. It reminds me the current audi A8 with a taste of TL.

By any chance, can you tell which Chinese auto magazine having this pic