Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Acura RL

Comments

• merc1merc1 Posts: 6,081
    Good stuff....such insight. We'll know if any of that will be so by the fall I guess huh.

M
  • It'll be a pretty cold day when a 3800-3900 ib luxury car handles like a 911! But seriously, visions of a redux 1998 GS400 performance are easy to make. Sub-six seconds, close to .9 G's, suave, glossy interior. Probably not torquey like a GS, but will be $3-4k less.

Would anyone expect a base price more than $10k over the TL?

DrFill
  • viggiaroviggiaro Posts: 1
    I just purchased a 2000 RL with Nav and paid $21999. It has 41K miles, and per KBB is worth around $25K.

Car is fantastic.. White with Quartz, CLEAN!!!! and gets looks from people at traffic lights!

I need to get the PIN number changed on the Nav so I can put my home addr in the system, but both users (1 & 2) are taken. Dealer sent me to Acura Cust Care who sent me back to dealer. Any idea on how to reset a Navigation Pin???
  • varmintvarmint Posts: 6,326
    One guy in another forum has quoted an Acura rep with saying that the new RL will hold more than 1 G on the skidpad.

He also noted very little change in price.

Just rumors.
  • lexusguylexusguy Posts: 6,419
    Then you might want to put on a jacket :) An advanced AWD system and plenty of power on tap can do magical things to an untraditional car. Just look at the Lancer Evo. I would except the RL to start around $40K, and with NAV, and maybe an A-Spec package if they decide to do one, top out at $45K. Im not so sure it will lose to the 5 series, most of the magazine write ups Ive seen so far have not liked the new car as much as the old one. "The active steering definitely takes a lot of getting used to. We often found ourselves over-dialing the amount of steering input needed at slower speeds. Since when do you have to get used to a 5 series?"
  • 03oddity03oddity Posts: 60
    Current Saab lease ending mid-July; pretty much sold on 2004 TL as a price-performer and just plain nice midsize car. But if the 2005 RL is half the vehicle described here, then RL Navi at $45K sounds like the ticket! (I realize being an early adopter of a first-model-year design is far from prudent, but a guy can only wait so long.)

When will these bad boys hit the showrooms? Anyone know, or care to hazard a prediction?
    Gee and you're not interested in that Saab93\Chevy Malibu? What has GM done to that car? Anyway, based on Acura's stellar track record, I wouldnt expect problems, even with a first production year. The RL should debut as an '05, so my guess is maybe October or September, but your best bet is to talk to your Acura dealer. You can probably get on a list now. If its got a year long waiting list like the MDX did when it first showed, you might want to get in line as quickly as possible.

The TL is a fantastic car though, its only negative is that mashing the pedal from 0 will cause some torque steer, though it certainly is no 93 Viggen or anything like that. There is perhaps one other thing, if you dont spring for the manual, you get carry over brakes from the previous TL...which werent all that good. They are beefed up a bit on the automatic A-Spec package, but only the MT car gets the real binders.
    My dealer contacts are telling me October. The general consensus is that the starting price will not be much higher than the current model, but no one knows if SH-AWD is going to be standard or an option.
  • steveaccordsteveaccord Posts: 108
    I meant to add 'people' that have threaded this post in the past few months. I've read several of the messages going back to March 2003 and I was somewhat surprised at how much you guys had arleady figured out about the new RL 2005 car!
    Thank you for the specs and images.
    I am definetely looking forward to the NY motor show! I sense it will be difficult to wait to get our hands on one of these wonderful cars!
    :-)
  • You-re comparing the RL to an Evo?

What about the 600lb. weight difference?

The Evo is a no-compromise sport set-up. The RL won't be anwhere near that hardcore! I'd expect .86/.87 on the skidpad and 66-67 through a slalom, nothing more. Weight is a major factor in pure handling tests. The TL is over 3500lbs! Add 300 (at least) for a larger car with more features and AWD.

DrFill
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,914
    Hey steve, thanks for the compliments! Many of the members around here are very knowledgeable and great at seeking out info in remote places. Glad you jumped in.

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• nowakj66nowakj66 Posts: 709
    It is the same sketch Honda released, not the actual car. Any idea when the car will break cover in NY? Tomorrow? The 9th?
    I'll be at the NYIAS as well. Im really looking forward to getting to see the Acura RL, the next Nissan Fuga (Infiniti M45) and most of all, the Lexus LF-C! Lexus did an awesome job sculpting the new GS430, so hopefully they'll bring some of that to this new mystery 2 door.

I wasnt comparing the performance of the RL directly to the Lancer Evo, just making a point that you can turn an ordinary humdrum Lancer into a race car with a hp injection and AWD. With proper balance, big sticky tires and AWD the new RL could be capable of great things.
  • Over the last couple weeks there have been a couple instances of a clunk coming from the front end seemingly tied to the brakes. It has been at low speeds when using the brakes.

It was in for some other work and of course they could find nothing. I want to get it figured out before warranty goes. I have about 2500 miles to go...

Anyone have a similar experience? If so have a fix?

thanks in advance...
  • Why can't Acura make a luxury sedan that feels like a luxury sedan?

I test drove a 2004 RL yesterday for the very first time. In the end, I felt it drove like an Accord.

It was nothing like a Lexus LS.
    It wasn't even as smooth, quiet, comfortable as a Lexus GX SUV.

Aren't luxury sedans suppose to be smoother, quieter, more comfortable than SUVs?

How come the 7" NAV screen is so dim even when I set the brightness to MAX and Daytime setting?

The Lexus 7" NAV screen is so much brighter, clearer, with deeper, richer colors.

They offered me $7,000 off MSRP.

I would rather pay more money and get the LS.
  • robertsmxrobertsmx Posts: 5,525
    Well, if can pay more, go for LS. I would hate to see RL be like LS though. I'm hoping that the new RL is something thats sporty, and fun to drive (instead of just sit). Its a tradeoff, some like to be passengers, some, drivers!
  • robertsmxrobertsmx Posts: 5,525
    I disagree. I was expecting crisper lines, but the new RL does have subdued/understated styling elements that make for a premium car. I like it. I can bet it looks even better in person than it does in pictures (like TSX and TL).
  • l943973l943973 Posts: 197
    this is from the Honda news corporate site

NOTE: this is still the prototype
  • ksomanksoman Posts: 590
    I'm glad it doesn't look like a TL. no specs on power though... AWD and SH with a 5 series size mean the power has to be genuinely good to do any good.

There's a hint of maxima in it that I don't like.. but not bad, i like the tightness overall. not impressed with the choice of colors for the pictures though... ugh
  • l943973l943973 Posts: 197
    this link says is a 300hp 3.5L V6 with a 5-speed paddle shift.

http://hondanews.com/CatID3046?mid=2004040738738&mime=asc&amp- ;archives=t
    Specs are available at Hondanews.com along with more images. Here are a few highlights:

300 hp
    3.5 V6
    5 speed paddle-style tranny.
    Standard NAV with traffic link.
    ACE crash protection (new architecture).
    Headlights that swivel up to 20 degrees.

No weight, but length is a bit shorter than the old model. They claim that they've used lighter materials in several main parts of the architecture.

It looks exactly like the sketches. Put the sketch and photo side by side. Every line and detail matches up. You just have to know how to "read" a sketch. As I've written before, the use of line and color can make things look far more dramatic than is possible in real life.

That said, I like it. It's handsome without being exotic. On other boards, they are comparing it with every vehicle under the sun. Which simply means it can't possibly look like anything else. The interior is a bit dark in that color, but the design looks nice. As with other recent Acuras, I love the gauges.
  • Does it look like a $45k car? I DO see a lot of the 2003 Acura TL in it! The windows are very flush, almost swollen!

It's inoffensive, but the Dubs seen on the concept won't make production. So what will it look like with 17's?

DrFill
  • eddiemaceddiemac Posts: 141
    is now available on the acura website.
  • I don't like it either.
    It looks like a bigger TL to me.

I think if you want a sporty car, that's where the TL comes in.

But if you want a pure luxury sedan for cruising, you gotta have something just for that too.

For example, if you want pure luxury, you get a 740iL; if you want Sporty, you get the 540iL.
    If you want Luxury, you get the Lexus LS430; if you want Sporty, you get the GS430.

The 05 RL just doesn't look like a pure luxury car to me. It looks more like a 540iL or GS430, except it has the excuse-me-did-you-say-V6 engine, instead of the that's-more-like-it-V8.

Total disappointment to me.

Well, perhaps I had it all wrong. I thought the RL was competing with the LS430, 740iL, Mercedes S430. But perhaps it was trying (and failing) to compete with the 540iL and GS430 all along.
    My bad.
    Originally, Acura wanted the RL to compete with the LS and 740iL. It obviously flopped.

The new RL is aimed at the GS300, E class, BMW 530, and Audi A6. While the V8 models get all the press, the V6 models are the ones that provide the bulk of their sales volume. If we are to believe the rumors, the base price will be higher than those, but the RL comes fully loaded. Not to mention that the RL's V6 boasts 300 hp, which is about 70-80 hp more than most of the others.

This leaves Acura without a truly big luxury barge in their showroom. That may hurt them. But, lets face it, they haven't had one of those for the past 8 years. On the other hand, this RL does bring them back to something like the original Legend.
    Wow, you managed to absolutely 100% miss the point of what Acura is trying to do with this RL. It IS a bigger TL. Acura positions the TL against the IS\ES, 3 series, C class, and the G35. By the way, theres no such car as a "540iL". L means long wheel base, as in A8L. A long wheelbase midsize car would be kind of stupid dont you think?

The RL has never targeted the LS430 or S500 before, and it will continue to not target them. Honda doesnt make full size luxury cars. One question, do you know how many GS300s and and 530is out number their V8 counterparts? For the Lexus 80% of their sales are from the six cylinder car, so I dont think a V8 is an absolute "must have" in this segment. As I've said before, the current M45 comes V8 only, and its a sales disaster. Acura most likely has the '05 GS300 and '06 Infiniti M35 directly in their sites. If the car has 300hp, it will out power the '05 GS300 by 60hp, and it will at the very least match the M35, if Nissan can get their VQ up to 300hp in that application. Oh and by the way, a 911 Carerra 4S has an "excuse-me-did-you-say-V6" (well a boxer 6) and it will take every V8 car on your list to school. Hell a Subie STI makes 300hp out of 4 cylinders, and it will school those cars as well. There IS in fact a replacement for displacement. Honda engineering.
    Here are some comparison specs I threw together (Edmunds is the source). For the prices, I tried to get equipment as close as possible. But with all the crazy option packages, I may have made a mistake or two.

Acura RL
    44-48K (Estimated MSRP)
    300 hp V6
    AWD
    NAV
    193.5" long
    72.6" wide
    57.1" tall
    110.2" WB

Lexus GS300 (current model)
    44,500 TMV (48,575 MSPRP)
    220 hp V6
    RWD
    NAV
    189.2" long
    70.9" wide
    55.9" tall
    110.2" WB

Jaguar S-Type
    $49,000 TMV ($52,000 MSRP)
    235 hp V6
    RWD
    NAV
    192" long
    81.1 wide
    56" tall
    114.5 WB

MB E-Class
    $52,943 TMV ($54,295 MSRP)
    221 hp V6
    RWD
    NAV
    189.7" long
    71.3" wide
    57.2" tall
    112.4" WB

BMW 530i
    $52,500 TMV ($53,500 MSRP)
    225 hp V6
    RWD
    NAV
    190.6" long
    72.7" wide
    58" tall
    113.7" WB

Audi A6 (current model)
    $42,700 TMV ($45,200 MSRP)
    220 hp V6
    AWD
    No NAV
    192" long
    71.3" wide
    57.1" tall
    108.6" WB
  • ksomanksoman Posts: 590
    the rear looks too much like the accord coupe...