Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Acura RL

Comments

• goldkeygoldkey Posts: 36
    Just to take away some more luster away from already obscure RL a crash test results for luxury cars just came. And surprise surprise RL scored just acceptable. Meaning you are safer in RL then in a Hundai, that's all, but nothing befitting its flagship status.

http://www.msnbc.com/news/900575.asp?0ql=c8pcure

In light of this RL, even discounted, seems hardly a bargain at $36K. Considering that you can have a rock solid Avalon giving the same level of ambience and more room and safety than RL for 5-6 grand less.
  • goldkeygoldkey Posts: 36
    The cost of that current "incentive" lease on RL does not make any sense. The cost of 39 month lease comes up to almost 22K, leaving residiual value of fair market price of 36K to only 14K or only 38%. That does not make any sense for a 3-year lease. For 22K you can have new V6 Accord with more horses than RL and you get to keep it for life.
  • kiiwiikiiwii Posts: 283
    i'm in the market of looking for a new car. did some research on the internet. well, not to upset anyone, except the minivan (including mdx), Honda cars aren't doing that well in crash tests. i wasn't surprise to see RL only got an "acceptable" rating on TV last night.
  • sburke7sburke7 Posts: 37
    we are either all pleased with our rl's,,,no problems to speak of,,,or the new model is not selling that well, so there is nothing to get excited about here,,,I suppose,,no news is good news!,,,

My 2002 is running smooth as silk,,,already have 45k on it and all I do is change oil and rotate the tires,,,and ride in solid comfort,,,
  • fredvhfredvh Posts: 853
    What kind of mpg are you getting on the highway?
  • jwilson1jwilson1 Posts: 956
    but boy am I bored.

JW
  • scott31scott31 Posts: 280
    You have 45k miles, and all you've done is oil changes and tire rotations?

You haven't replaced ANY of the filters?
  • lenscaplenscap Posts: 854
    The all-new 2003 Accord has a 5-star safety rating and is best in class.
  • hunter001hunter001 Posts: 851
    I was thoroughly un-impressed with the "new" 2004 RL's dashboard. Basically the section below the navigation system. It is a shiny piece of metal with shiny tuning knobs...looks like something that should have been on a Neon or something. Yuck!

Also, all 2004 RLs come with Navigation as Standard equipment.

Later...AH
  • bongotoobongotoo Posts: 10
    Has anybody found a solution to this issue besides the costly dealer solution. My Traction Control light is on now. I'm I going to experience compounding problems as a result of ignoring the ABS Issue? The owners manual indicates that when the ABS is out, you still have conventional brakes. Can I ride on the conventional brakes for ever. Or will I experience decreasing braking effenciency?
  • sburke7sburke7 Posts: 37
    fredvh,,,I am getting around 24 mpg on the highway,,,running premo gas,,,just returned from Atlanta,,,ran around 78 mph in spots where the flow of traffic allowed,,,quiet ride for sure!,,,

scott31,,,the only filter I have changed is oil,,,with each change,,,should I change others?,,, the air filter is clean,,,the only one I can think of is the ac, which I was told should be done at 60k,,,

As to the looks of this car or the boredom of it,,,I do not see that, for my money and use of car,,,but when compared to what is on the road today in this class or price range,,,seems more horses are the rule, along with more bells and whistles,,,I think the 2005 model Acura will be something to get this board chattering once more,,,the 2004 is not selling well at all,,,the dealer here in Charlotte is not even advertising they have it,,,I think if I were going to make a change in cars, it might be the audi a-6,,,2.8, but then again I am not impressed with the reliability of that brand,,,thus the "sameness" (reliability and comfort) of this car is appealing to me,,,yet to be disappointed!

I talked with one of my customers this week who has a 99 3.5,,,car has 145k miles,,,he changed his timing belt and replaced water pump,,,other than tire replacement and oil changes,,,no problems!

SB7
    Since I made the remark re: boredom, let me also say that I agree with you completely -- reliability and a fine design are the RLs most pleasant characteristics. The boredom (for me...this isn't true for many, I realize) comes in the drive. Until I got the RL, for example, I'd always had a manual. While the insulated cabin -- from the road and road noise -- was wonderful for the first couple of weeks and is still pleasing in periods of high traffic, much of the time it makes me long for other cars I've owned, and for many that are now being produced. While the car is bulletproof mechanically, it is also emotionless and without any sense of passion or beauty (ref. Italian design principles!). While the RL is dignified and (those coming from lesser cars would say) elegant, it's as much fun to dance to as a symphony. So while I agree with you, for me I guess another garage would help, for an added car, or maybe another car altogether .... we'll see.

JW
  • hunter001hunter001 Posts: 851
    So while I agree with you, for me I guess another garage would help, for an added car, or maybe another car altogether ....

Could that "other car" be a WRX STi or an Infiniti G35 Coupe, by any chance ?? :-))

Later...AH
  • prophet2prophet2 Posts: 372
    I'm likely to either step-up to the "real" new, up-dated RL in '05, or keep my '96 as a spare set of wheels and get something else as an ADDITIONAL vehicle. Perhaps a crew cab truck or a manual trans coupe. No SUV - we already have an Odyssey.

No unexpected repairs on my RL. The biggest expense was the timing belt-waterpump major service, which was expected and budgeted for. Buying the pre-owned '96 RL with 36.8K miles for $20K was better than an '00 Accord EX-V6. Saved $3K and it rides a hell of a lot better.
    Like you, the interests are 'wide-ranging.' There is time to research, to drive, to study, and most of all, to drool of course ... I'm sure I'll see you around!!

Then ... JW ;-))
  • l943973l943973 Posts: 197
    I keep another car around for spirited driving in addition to my RL. After 2 hours in that car, its great going back to the RL. Its like riding on a cloud.
  • samifriscosamifrisco Posts: 2
    I have a '95 Lexus and as a result of it being totaled from hail damage am about to buy a 2002 RL. My Legend was suposed to use premium gas but I used regular (as I did for my previous Legend) and it had run fine. What is the scoop on the RL in this regard?
  • mike734mike734 Posts: 128
    I was reading about how Premium gas is unnecessary for "most" cars so I tried the middle grade (89) the other day. So far I have not noticed any problems or symtoms like knocking or lack of power. I am going to stick with it. I drive a 98 3.5 RL.
  • samifriscosamifrisco Posts: 2
    Premium gas does not affect acceleration. It aids smoothness of ride (i.e., prevents engine knock). The switch to regular gas on my Legend never affected anything, whether it was acceleration or smoothness of ride. I wish I could get a definitive answer to this because I hate paying for premium gas.