Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Acura RL

Comments

• libertycatlibertycat Posts: 593
    I hope Acura makes this a full-size luxury sedan with a V8 and a MUCH more luxurious interior but chances are they won't. Whatever <sighs>. I'm still curious about it.
  • chiggy45chiggy45 Posts: 10
    I saw a picture in a magazine that showed the supposed future RL. It looked great, and was said to boast an AWD V8. Although, I think Acura may have changed their mind, I think Acura should shoot past a V8, and maybe go even higher with a V10 or 12. I mean, Acura has to do something to lure drivers away from the Lexus LS and Benz's Sclass. I think the only way they can really charge more is if they offer so much that people just don't know what to do. Similar to what they did when they introduced the TL.
    Acura is going to have a V6/FWD according to Edmunds. Really dumb of them, but WHATEVER. I just found what u said about V10s and 12s humurous since Acura probably won't even have a V8. Most likely, the RL will remain mid-level, competing with Seville, Deville, Town Car, and S80.
  • varmintvarmint Posts: 6,326
    Most reports indicate the RL will remain a V6, but will use the IMA hybrid system to give it more power. It's appears (know one can say for certain) that Honda is trying to move past V8s.
    Name one Honda/Acura that had a V8. I sure can't think of a single one.
  • merc1merc1 Posts: 6,081
    I was only quoting what Automobile stated. If anyone can produce a V6 with 400hp its Honda. I agree that would be an expensive engine, and would be more fitting for the NSX, not the RL.

M
    "Name one Honda/Acura that had a V8. I sure can't think of a single one."

I'm sorry, was that intended for me?

Honda has never produced a V8 for a production model passenger car. It appears they do not intend to anytime soon. The horsepower wars are getting to the point where it may not be possible to compete with an ordinary V6. Many believe that Honda will have to build a V8, or get out of the luxury car business.

However, V8 engines may become obsolete in several years. Smaller, more efficient engines mated with hybrid drivetrains could be the next big thing. When I wrote, "It's appears that Honda is trying to move past V8s", I meant that they may skip the V8 and go straight to the hybrid solution.
    Yes, that was meant for you.
  • What would you do? End of July I have a decision- buy my RL3.5 for the $23K residual, or succumb to new car fever.

My practical side says...do the home equity loan and buy the car. Has the Navi system I need, as a Realtor, and it's crazy to give the car back and "leave 28K miles on the table."

My other practical side says "since I write off most of my car expenses, putting cash in any car ain't no investment."

My impulsive side wants a new car. Can lease a new RL3.5 for less than my current lease payment ($550/month) or I can lease an Accord V6 Navi for around $450/month.

The thumb wrestling continues...can't really find any Navi equipped cars at that price point that are very exciting (yeah, I know, keep your sex appeal issues off the highway, LOL). A6/ES300/Avalon/Camry's with NAVI are either dang rare, or all the dealers are yanking me...so the lease numbers aren't competitive with those I quoted above.

Different categories of questions, but I'd appreciate y'all's input. Thx~Geo.
  • mrrogersmrrogers Posts: 391
    Thomas Stanley wrote a book called "The Millionaire Next Door." He discovered that most millionaires drive Fords. They also do not lease. In another of his books, he mentioned that personally he always owns a two to three year old premium Lexus, Infiniti, or Acura that he purchased used at a good price. Based on his two books, I recommend that you buy this 28K mile creampuff, and start planning what you will do with your million dollars.
  • mike734mike734 Posts: 128
    Sell the car on your own. If you can get more than $23000, pocket the diff and buy or lease new. BTW pay less per month in the future by negotiating less miles per month. It seems you don't use 12K per year. If you can't get $23000 for the car, then, by definition, it's not worth it. Personally I like to stick with what I know. Is the car working to your liking? Do you like the car? Does the new model (of whatever you are looking at) have features you can't live without?

You need to look at all these questions and more. It can't just be a financial decision because a new car is never a good financial decision. ;-)

Mike
  • bwoolley1bwoolley1 Posts: 4
    Everything I have heard is pointing towards a V6 hybrid for the next RL. It will have atleast 300hp and achieve 30-40 mpg. If everything goes as planned the new RL with change the premium market. It will also be larger then the current model, probably to accomodate the fuel cells.
    I have heard the same thing and it has ALL been mentioned on this board, LOL, and I agree except for the 300 horses. I doubt this will happen but we'll see.
    If they go the route of using hybrid power, as has been widely rumored, then 300 hp is a given. It's expected that the new V6 used in the 2004 TL will run between 270 and 280 horsies. Even the Civic's IMA system would produce enough power to put it near 290 ponies. 20-30 horses is not much given that the IMA used in the RD-X design offers about 50 hp.

So, if they use an IMA system, I'd guess the hp rating to be somewhere between 310-330.
  • chiggy45chiggy45 Posts: 10
    Beyond the engine, the RL needs to be heavily upgraded on in the inside. I mean, the 2004 RL has less luxury options than the Honda Accord EX V6. So, whatever they do, they need to go beyond the normal Honda or even the TL. It would be nice to see some reclining/vibrating/heated/cooled seats in the back. What do you think?
  • jwilson1jwilson1 Posts: 956
    If so, since you can write it off, I'd stay with the lease.

You don't say what the car looks like .... if it's still 'like new' and you're not looking at anything that is remarkably different .... I'd stay with what I've got, unless you can make money on the individual sale of course!

As your customer, I'd be more impressed (and comfortable) riding to see a property in the RL than in a plain 'ol vanilla Honda -- Real estate seems to me to have alot of image stuff attached to it .... I'd go with aLexus or M-B personally, not because they're better cars but because they offer a status image customers might like and because you can write the car off.

What will you decide? JW
  • msgreenmsgreen Posts: 67
    rumors were that this car was to be updated in 02. Did not happen. Same for 03 and 04, did not happen. More importantly than a total upgrade, Honda did NOT even make a few changes to this marque that would have kept owner/buyer interest. Examples include the VTEC engine from the MDX and five speed auto tranny. Why???? This would have cost Honda virtually nothing, but would have helped keep things fresh until the "big" change (whatever that is). Huge mistake in my opinion. I was fired up to buy the "new" RL in 02. Did not happen and when it became clear that there was no end to the "new RL" saga, I gave up and bought a BMW. Super car which I love, and maybe I should be happy that Honda screwed this up so bad, but in my heart, I am not happy. Honda needs to kick itself in its butt over poor handling of RL upgrades and its poor information output re new models (only Japanese products are this tight mouthed), which do not help sell models to those not simply walking up to the showroom. Good luck, Honda, but you could have sold MANY more RLs over the past few years with even modest changes (which were already part of your existing offerings). Shame on you for your insensitive behavior towards die-hard RL fans.
  • l943973l943973 Posts: 197
    The RLs aren't that bad. They are sell more than the new Infiniti M45 in the same price range and that has a 340 hp V8. Acura sold 4500 RLs since June and Infiniti has sold about 1600 models. Just goes to show that throwing in a V8 with lots a power isn't the answer. (Honda executives said the same thing in an interview a few months back).

The new RL design probably won't happen until 05/06 because they are currently debuting the new completely redesigned 04 TL this fall and TSX. The RL and NSX are the last two models in need of a redesign. I guess they want to make sure they get it right.

Currently the RL has 3.5L 225 hp which is competitive with its other front wheel drive 6-cylinder competitors.

(FWD) Volvo S80 2.9L 194hp I-6
    (FWD) Audi A6 2.8 3.0L 220 hp V-6

The reason why there is no VTEC in the RL is because the engine was design to provide power at the low rpms. VTEC is used to get more power at higher rpms usually around 3500 rpm and higher. VTEC has been around since late 1989. If Acura really wanted VTEC in the RL, they probably would have put it in by now.

The RL offers a lot, it just seems to get a bad rap all the time because it has no V8.