Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Acura RL

Comments

• jchan2jchan2 Posts: 4,956
    I hope the RL does leap ahead with the AWD/Hybrid. That would make it unique and bring buyers AWAY from Lexus and Infiniti, who are stuck with now "old school" V8/RWD engines.
  • But, there's word that Honda will increase the 3.5L engines to 3.8L in the MDX and upcoming RL. Hope that boosts their HP ratings!!
  • gteach26gteach26 Posts: 576
    2004 RL's are going way under invoice for just under 39K (carsdirect). This special pricing is in effect 'till January so either these guys are in major "holiday pricing mode" OR they are clearing the 04's to make room for '05 in the very near future... I hope it is the latter.
  • carguy58carguy58 Posts: 2,303
    built than US ones: I have an Acura thats built in Ohio. No problems so far.
  • varmintvarmint Posts: 6,326
    Randomthought - The RL is supposed to be released at one of the upcoming auto shows (spring of '04). I've forgotten which one, but you can find it by searching back in this thread.

Carguy - Mine, too. About the only serious problem with the Ohio built TL is the transmission. That tranny comes from Japan.

Of course, my made-in-Japan CR-V went to 84K miles before it had its first unscheduled repair. And I wouldn't call a bad distributor a big deal. So, my Honda fleet is 1:1. That's why data like the warranty claims are more compelling to me, than personal anecdotes.
    warranty claims are always a good indicator- as are CR reliability predictions.
  • the V6 gas engine powers the front wheels, and the electric powers the rear wheels in the 2005 RL.
    That's what I was told 2 months ago by Acura people.
  • Am I crazy to consider buying this car? I am looking for an easy riding, reliable car that I will be putting many miles on it each year ( 60/40 town:highway). I would like to wait for the 2005 model, but I'm not sure if I will be able to afford it if there is a price increase and/or I will like the new design. I have considered buying a used RL, but I am leaning towards a new car. I would also consider the Audi A6 3.0 sedan, but reliability seems to be a problem. Someone play devils advocate and tell me why I should not buy the 2004 RL.

Just go ahead and get the 04, since you'll get a fabulous discount on the price. There will be no discount on the 2005 model when it comes out in April, and why buy it when you can wait only another 5-6 months and get the 2006 model, which will have all the first model year kinks worked out. So if you can't wait for the 2006 model, just get the 2004 now. You can dump it/trade it in down the road if you like the newer RLs.
    who from Acura?
    I know who to call.
  • I have had a recurrence of a funny problem with my 2000 RL and wondered if anyone else has had a similar experience.

Last winter the SRS light came on and the steering wheel volume control stopped working. Of course the dealer could not replicate and reset SRS with no problem indicated.

Everything worked fine until it got cold again and the volume controls stopped working and after the car sat out at a hotel, traveling for xmas, the SRS light came on.

I suspect there are some connectors that shrink in the cold. Anyone else experience this and have a fix? I will take back to the dealer next week still under warranty.
  • ksomanksoman Posts: 590
    just cuz i'd some extra time. The car's interior looked like i was back in 1995, but it's still such a quite, unassuming, un-bashful, sedate car that i'd love when i'm 40 years older!

I personally think the RL looks marvelous from outside.

Anyway, the sales agent was desperately trying to load me on an RL offering me many different pricing options with almost dirt cheap give away sale prices or leases. He hinted that they were clearing house for a spring launch of the '05. But, that's still hearsay.

Considering what they did to the new TL, though i'm not entirely a big fan of it as much as i'd like to be, i'm very interested in seeing where the new RL goes from here.

ksso
    I hope there will be a hybrid version. Being Environmentally friendly AND beating the tuned Civic at the stoplight.
  • ksomanksoman Posts: 590
    I forgot the naming, but wasn't that shown as a 4 door hybrid 400 HP sport sedan... wouldn't that play into the future RL equation?

ksso
    That concept car was introduced as the Honda Dualnote, then later was revamped a bit and became the Acura DN-X.

I don't think anyone in their right mind is expecting that car to go to production, but there's hope that we'll see a sophisticated V6 driving the front wheels and dual electric motors driving the rear wheels. This sort of AWD configuration was also shown on the Spocket and RD-X concept cars.

Personally, I think this hybrid system would be a great rebuttle to all the talk of V8s and RWD. But I'll believe it when I see it.
    seems commited to Hybrid drivetrains instead of V8s, and safety features for each of it's cars- including the Civic DX and the 3.5 RL. (things like STANDARD VSC, TRAC, Curtain Airbags and side airbags for each Honda model, no matter what)
    At this point, I think we can only count on two things.

1. It will not be FWD. That does not mean a FWD-biased AWD system is not possible. It could just be a variation on VTM-4.

2. It will have the new crash structure Honda worked out for crash compatibility with various size vehicles. While Honda has not been leading in airbags or stability control, they have done wonders with basic structure. This could be interesting.
    it probably won't have a V8.
  • gteach26gteach26 Posts: 576
    When will we know for sure? Detroit?
  • I hope that Honda gets some info out asap on the new RL. The new Lexus GS is to be announced at the Detroit auto show in early Jan. There are other new, potential competitors coming out soon from Cadillac (STS), Audi (A6), and Infiniti M45. While some of these may not be direct competitors, they should all be in the "price ballpark", so may be examined simultaneously. I hope that the usual "announcement secrecy" from Honda does not put the new RL at a substantial disadvantage because of the excitement generated by interest in other competitor models announced/shown earlier.....