Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Acura RL

Comments

• robertsmxrobertsmx Posts: 5,525
    I remember the days when first pictures of TSX and TL came out. People weren't "wowed".

Flagships are hardly about wow factor (stylingwise). Look at LS430. In case of Mercedes, the C-class, E-class and the S-class are virtually identical, and so it the case with Audi. BMW is heading in the same direction although the company tried to break the mold and move from a conservative styling (last generation 7-series) to the new aggressive look that everybody seems to hate.

Sometimes I wonder what people want.

And cars within the same family (same automaker) are bound to have common cues. It is virtually unavoidable. Better to use one's own cues than copy it (like many do).
  • carguy58carguy58 Posts: 2,303
    The photo of the RL on the previous page I don't like it. It looks like a dud. The front end says Infinti I35 all over it which looks ok but nothing stunning. A hint of Pontiac GTO in there too on the front end. Just nothing eye catching. I didn't like the 04 TL at first but now I like it. Thats just a prototype photo of the RL. We all now how Honda likes to play with people's minds before a car is released so we don't know if thats what the 05 RL is going to look like or not.
    I’ve seen people comment that it looks like an Accord. Some said… Catera. A few have said Millenia. You say it looks like Infiniti I35. So I assume I35 looks like Millenia, which in turn looks like Catera and the Caddy looked like an Accord (going in reverse of their launch order). Interesting, isn’t it?

I see this style as inoffensive, while retaining familiar cues that I have come to expect from Honda/Acura. The tail lamp rear is reminiscent of Acura CL (first generation), the overall rear profile resembles the direction that Acura adopted in the late 90s (first generation TL and RL and carried into last CL), as well as in Honda Accord coupe (in its current form, which I always thought took the cues from 1996+ TL and 2001 CL).

The front is a smoother version of the current RL’s (which I happen to like). Updated nicely, without deviating much.

THIS VIEW is a better representative of the frontal style, and it has “Acura” written all over it.

And while Im at it... a close up shot of the REAR .
  • That's your opinion.
    To think that the current '04 RL actually competes with any sports sedans is stupid, don't you think?
    All the Acura sales people I've talked to says that the RL is aimed at competing with the Lexus LS.
    By the way, excuse me for that fatal "L" I accidentally attached to the "i" for the BMW 540i.
    Ever heard of mistypes?
    Perhaps you spell everything correct 100% of the time, but most of us don't.
  • I agree.
    Nothing about those pics makes me want to even test drive it. Looks like a souped-up Accord.
    Tragic and pathetic excuse for a top-of-the-line luxury vehicle.

I don't know. Maybe the new RL will be the middle of the line like the BMW 5-Series or GS and a new Acura top-of-the-line will appear as a 2006 model to compete with the LS430 and BMW740.
  • I for one perfer the looks of the LS430 to any sports car or sedan and the looks of the 04 RL to the new RL or TL or TSX.

To me, flagship needs to be pure luxury. Mid models like the GS, 5-series, etc. can go for more styles and sporty.

But if the RL now competes with the GS300 and 530, etc., I guess it better have style and sport.

Different strokes for different folks.
    I’m clueless as to why you would even start a discussion regarding 2004 RL being a “sport sedan”. Part of its failure (in recent years anyway) was that it was not, and the other part being that it didn’t get freshened up couple of times like its competition did.

2005 RL is different, at least on paper. This RL may be comparable to the LS430 in some ways…
    - cabin size
    - both are flagships for their respective brands

The RL may actually have more standard features than the base LS430, even though it would cost thousands less. It would be ridiculous to expect direct competition at 25% discount.

You appear to be a big fan of LS430. Not sure what moves you about its styling. That car does nothing for me.

Oh, and the next GS looks like eggplant on wheels to me. :-) Okay, that was a little harsh, but it is too bloated to my tastes.

The RL, is tighter. Nothing outstanding about the styling, but that is how flagships are styled. Just think the new BMW 7-series versus the old. What do you think? Understated styling is the key.
  • varmintvarmint Posts: 6,326
    "I’m clueless as to why you would even start a discussion regarding 2004 RL being a “sport sedan”."

I was too, but I think I've figured it out. His logic goes like this. If the '04 RL was not targeted at the LS430, then it must have been aimed at the GS300 (a sport sedan). It's an either/or fallacy, but an understandlable one.

FWIW, I think the '04 RL had no true competition. It was in a niche by itself. I expect many of the customers who bought them compared it with fully loaded ES300 sedans. The RL had similar equipment, a similar price tag, but was bigger on the inside.
  • rctennis3811rctennis3811 Posts: 1,031
    Oh well, I can live with the boring styling as long as all the features are right. SH-AWD is definitely going to bring me into the showroom to testdrive it. Anyways, I think it will compete well against the LS430 since the LS is even more plain.
    I've written it before and Robertsmx just hinted at it, but perhaps an example is in order.

So far, in this thread alone, we've learned that the new RL look like the TL, Accord coupe, Corolla, S-Class, 7 Series, CL-S, old 2.3CL, I35, and the Pontiac GTO.

In other forums, I've seen comparisons with most of the above, plus the following: Catera, several Hyundais, Millenia, Accord sedan, Legend, Mazda6, old Camry, Phaeton, Q45, and IS300.

It's a bloomin' chameleon!

BTW, for all of you trying to describe the taillights, look at the last Aurora. (There's another one!) =)
    Rctennis - I think you mean, "Anyways, I think it will compete well against the GS430 since the GS is even more plain."
  • cericceric Posts: 1,093
    I love the new RL. Enough said.
    It is targeting the new M35, GS300, 525/530, and E320, A6. Those who said it is targeting LS, you must check your MSRP once again. LS is a floating device. Luxurious, but drives like a boat. Ever try 530 with sports package?

I hope let us get by the look, and discuss more on some of the details of RL. I, for one, has a question:
    - does it come with LED taillights? Can't tell for sure from picture, and does not mention it anywhere in the news.

Finally, I think the silver in photos does not do it justice. A deep blue or jet black would look really nice with the new 2005 RL. And, that is probably what I would order with beige interior.
  • rctennis3811rctennis3811 Posts: 1,031
    I actually DID mean GS. Slip of the tongue...er keyboard. LOL :-P Thanks!
  • prattsterprattster Posts: 59
    I think its looks pretty darn good, not flashy but then Acura's never were sans the NSX. It's definitely more sport looking, muscular and rakish. Very nice subtle body details. Long live the wedge! I see some Benz bumper detailing, just a hint of 7 series rear detailing and some I35 frontish similarity. The front panels are Accord like in look in 3/4 view . Don't think the 20 shoes will make production. What we see here is 95% the final product. They really sweated the details on this on.

The inside is not going to disappoint, it looks rich and well executed. Materials should be top notch no surprises here. It's also going to have the latest smart key technology like the new revised LS430. Handling is going to be near class leading. This class is really going to get hot as the all new M35/45 and GS are set to launch.
  • "Its not really fair to compare this car to all of the 5 or E series."

I think Acura has to compare itself to any car that offers an equivalent V6 engine, even if it is sold for $10k more. Acura needs to make a bold statement if it wants to attract the higher end customers. If a person could afford to get a fully loaded E320, and saw the new RL, they should want to go with the RL not because of the money, but because that it looks great, and has the features of an SClass. I just think Acura needs to realize that looks are vital, and it needs to be bold to take some important market share.
    I love the new RL. Enough said.
    It is targeting the new M35, GS300, 525/530, and E320, A6. Those who said it is targeting LS, you must check your MSRP once again. LS is a floating device. Luxurious, but drives like a boat. Ever try 530 with sports package?

I hope let us get by the look, and discuss more on some of the details of RL. I, for one, has a question:
    - does it come with LED taillights? Can't tell for sure from picture, and does not mention it anywhere in the news.

Finally, I think the silver in photos does not do it justice. A deep blue or jet black would look really nice with the new 2005 RL. And, that is probably what I would order with beige interior.
    Ceric - There's a sticker on the NY RL Prototype (in the doorjamb or in the trunk). It reads, "Original Tire Size P245/50R17".

As long as we're at it... The spare is a compact. Total combined weight of passengers and cargo should not exceed 850 lbs.

"I just think Acura needs to realize that looks are vital, and it needs to be bold to take some important market share."

I agree, but then again, I don't. =) I mean, the 99-03 TL was nice, but not bold. It did just fine.
  • What's the real advantage of a V8 vs. a V6?

Let's say I don't care for speed.
    Let's say I just want that road isolation and quiet ride of a Lexus, but I just don't want to pay that extra $10K.

Could a V6 ride as smooth and quiet as a V8?
    For example, could a V6 ride as smooth, quiet, and road-isolated as the Lexus LS430?

Okay, I don't see how quietness has anything to do with engine size. But theoretically, could Acura have made the RL with a V6 to be as road-isolated and smooth riding as the LS430 and still costs $10K less?

Or how about a base model GX470 SUV which costs about the same as the RL? Could the RL be as smooth, quiet, and road-isolated as the GX470 SUV?

Again, this is assuming I just care about luxury, quiet, smooth, road-isolated, and not at all about performance or speed.
    Varmint, did you address to the wrong person?
    I make no reference to about tire size sticker, which I knew about from other sites already. Why did you bring it up to me? The points?

Andrewtran71, again, the new RL is not about tranquility. Yes, it is the top-end of Acura, but who says the top-end of a brand name must be luxurious, not sporty? Honda, as a company is about 4X smaller than Toyota. It has no V8 to compete in that sesegment. I am glad Acura give that up until at least they have the IMA ready for big time.
    Why you described seems like ES330 to me. Trust me, 100lb insolation materials could make most good vehicle as quiet as any Lexus, but would I like it, NO. That is 100lb too heavy to me.
    Complete isolation from road may be a good thing to some (you) but not to others (me). I want to feel some of it, thats why I care about driving. Otherwise I would be just as happy to take the bus to work or have someone else do the driving.

RL would be a great car if it offered the right mix of ride, features, performance (acceleration & handling), and for a reasonable price. I hope it doesn't carry a long list of options (thats something I hate to see in "luxury" cars, hey that was the idea to have luxury cars, right?).

On paper, RL appears to address that. Now, how it feels in person, we shall see. At this point, I'd imagine that RL to LS430 would be more like Accord to Camry. And you know which I would prefer.