Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Acura RL

Comments

• mowgiemowgie Posts: 2
    i am buying the 2005 rl....

the wife has a 2001 v70 t5.

i have shopped the e320awd and the bmw545..the xc90 and the v70r and this car wins.
  • rctennis3811rctennis3811 Posts: 1,031
    Congratulations!
  • lexusguylexusguy Posts: 6,419
    If you could post your impressions of the car when you actually get it that would be great.
  • electronselectrons Posts: 16
    The RL is suppose to have over 300 hp from the 3.5 V6, tho I doubt the torque will be to the level of the thirsty V8 engines. Is it suppose to have the cyc management that other Honda products are coming out with during the same time frame?

Every auto mfg has different market and segments or niche that they try to address. Comparing the Toyota concept against Honda's is completely different despite thinking that one company is larger than the other and therefore limits the marketing ability?? are you kidding me?

the difference is quite apparent when you drive the Accord and the Camry. One car is a sport ride and the other car is a soft ride, both cars are relatively speaking close in total sales.
  • globusglobus Posts: 2
    My 1989 Legend LS was by far the best car I have ever owned(incld audi a6 V8,Saab 9000 cse,Bmw 530)
    It was comfortable ,had great acceleration,handling etc. I was really dissapointed with the old RL(cheap lexus wannabe)
    If the new Rl is anything like the old legends, I will definitely get one.I really hope it lives up to the hype.
    I think thats what Acura has in mind with the new car. Everyone I know with a Legend was disappointed by the old RL. As Infinti has well learned by now, you cant out lux cruiser the LS. The '97-00 Q45 tried to soften up to compete more directly with the LS400, and it was a flop. You just cant beat Lexus at their own game. If the styling of the current Q wasnt so just plain wierd, with its enlarged Subie bug-eye WRX front end and Audi A6 rear, I think it would be a lot more successful than it has been.
  • cericceric Posts: 1,093
    This was posted by a gentleman who picked up a copy of BestCar mag in Japanese. His interpretation (not translation) posted at another website. This excerpt is the exciting part of it. I am glad that I have put down my order for the new RL. I knew the SH-AWD (with active outer rear wheel acceleration) would be ground-breaking.

"The author of the article says he has been tracking the development of the RL/Legend since a development prototype was tested at the Nürburgring last year. According to the article, an RL/Legend test mule with a prototype SH-AWD system was tested at the 'Ring against a Skyline GT-R. The article states that the RL's lap times consistently bested the GT-R. The author makes the statement that the SH-AWD's performance dynamics are so innovative that he's convinced current systems from Nissan's GT-R, Subaru's Imprezza (WRX), and Mitsubishi's Lancer - leaders in AWD technology, are a step behind. He goes further and suggests that SH-AWD's performance handling dynamics are so ground-breaking that it threatens to surpass BMW's M5 class (hmmm - we shall see). "
    Definitely interesting, but I think the M5 is a bit of a stretch. The new car will have 4 more cylinders and 200 more hp, thats not so easy to take down.
  • robertsmxrobertsmx Posts: 5,525
    M5 to RL comparison may have been based on handling, not necessarily on power.
    yeah that makes a bit more sense. We'll just have to wait for the Edmunds first drive
    Lap time requires more than straight line performance, for which I think M5 would win easily with 500hp V-10 (estimated at 4.2-4.5sec (close to E55)). RL must beat M5 at turns/curves. It is probably their goal, but not fact. The fact is that RL is beating GT-R in lap times consistently (according to the article). Beating GT-R alone is quite an achievement for a luxury sports sedan. Can't wait for a test-drive.
    This is true, though the stock R-34 GTR isnt really any better than an NSX, and so if the RL can beat an NSX...that makes Acura's $90,000 car look worse than it already does.
    I wish the article had an indication of lap times, so we could compare it to that from an NSX (which happens to be one of the fastest cars around the Nurburgring, even with “only” 290 HP.

Best Motoring had a video of five cars (M3, M5, Accord Euro-R, Legacy, and another car I don’t remember) running a few laps on a track. M5 finished fourth behind the Accord, while the M3 won it. M5 weighs in at 4000 lb (compare to 3000 lb. Accord, 3400 lb. M3). I wonder what it would weigh with the V10.

Besides 300 HP, and the highly praised AWD system in the RL, I really like the rumor that the new version weighs only 3750 lb. with the AWD (the current RL is about 100 lb. heavier, with “only” 225 HP and FWD). That would put a weight to power ratio of 12.5. By comparison, the weight to power ratio of…
    S2000: 11.8
    NSX: 10.9
    TL: 13.1
    RSX Type-S: 13.8

BTW, based on the article in Best Motoring, the 3.5 liter V6 is rated at: 300 HP @ 6200 rpm, 260 lb.-ft @ 5000 rpm. This combination should propel this luxury sedan with its automatic transmission from 0 to 60 in 6.2 seconds. And if Acura throws in manual transmission (unlikely), 5.5s or better may be possible!
    My '98 540iA with 282hp and 3850lb can reach 60mph in 5.9sec (best result from C&D years ago. Official number from BMW is 6.2sec). Manual version gets there in 5.5sec (offcial 5.7sec).
    The new RL with 300hp and 3750lb should get there in less than 5.8sec or better. That is my hope, anyway. I would be disappointed if it only does 0-60 in 6.2sec. That is close to G35 number with 260hp.
    G35 (non-AWD) is (almost 400 lb.) lighter and smaller car than RL. It is more in TL's league in that regard. M35 would be a better comparison with RL, in both, performance and market orientation.

0-60 in 6.2s for a luxury sedan would be quite good, probably on par with likes of Mercedes E430 and Lexus LS430. And thats shaving off almost 2 seconds from the current RL.

C&D tested the new 325 HP BMW 545i (with 6 speed manual) and obtained a 0-60 run of 5.5s. Automatic should be be at least half a second or more slower than the manual, and that would make it comparable to the RL too.
  • jrock65jrock65 Posts: 1,371
    I expect both the RL and M35 to perform in the low 6 second range, much like the TL and G35. That's still a full second faster than the 530i (auto) and the E320. But I keep hearing that MB and BMW are poised to increase displacement to 3.5L. It should get interesting.
    Edmunds got 7.2s from BMW 530i (with 6-speed manual).
    My '98 540iA with 282hp and 3850lb can reach 60mph in 5.9sec (best result from C&D years ago. Official number from BMW is 6.2sec). Manual version gets there in 5.5sec (offcial 5.7sec).
    The new RL with 300hp and 3750lb should get there in less than 5.8sec or better. That is my hope, anyway. I would be disappointed if it only does 0-60 in 6.2sec. That is close to G35 number with 260hp.
    BMW is going to have a hard time justifying $40K for its piddly 184hp at this point.
  • bartalk2bartalk2 Posts: 326
    of the 3,5,and 7 may fall after the intro of the RL, M45, GS, and STS. BMW's mystique seems to be faltering.