Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Jeep Wrangler Starting Problems

Comments

• ron007ron007 Posts: 2
    I have heard there was a recall on the 07 for that issue.
  • ron007ron007 Posts: 2
    My 2008 50000 miles wont start. If I drive for 10 minutes and tuirn it off ,go in store, come out it won't start. Turns over fine. Tonight it died while I was going about 20 mph and now wont start and now has dead battery. Any ideas??
  • mac24mac24 Posts: 3,910
    Guessing would be pointless as it could be so many things either electrical or fuel related.

It's highly likely that the PCM is holding a code relating to the problem.
    Get the battery charged and see if you can get to somewhere that can read the codes(s). Autozone will do it for free.
  • About two weeks ago my jeep stopped starting when in neutral and turning the key.

I can only get it to start by letting the jeep start to roll down hill or getting someone to help push. I than have to put the manual transmission in 1st gear, turn the key, and pop the clutch.

I went by a Sears auto center and they said it would most likely be $400 to replace the starter.

I also tried jumping the jeep. This does not help.

Can anyone tell me what may be the problem and what I can do to fix this?
    Can anyone tell me what may be the problem and what I can do to fix this?

Presumably the starter needs replacing. It could also be a bad battery, ignition switch, relay, or a wiring problem.

it's an easy diagnosis with the vehicle in front of you.
    Did you just ask Sears the price of a starter, or did theycheck to see what was actually wrong?
  • i have the same problem and every time i take it to the dealership they can't find a code to fix and it starts just fine for them. whats strange is i am a rural mail carrier me and 2 other rural carrier bought 2008 jeep wranglers and all 3 do this one was fix by replacing the EGR valve but they had to do it 3 times to finally fix it and the other just had her tranmission replace to fix it. i think they need another recall
    Maybe a visit to a more competent dealership would pay dividends. :shades:
  • We have an 08 Wrangler that has been intermittently not starting since September. It stayed at the dealership for over a month and they were never able to duplicate/pull a code. Interestingly once we drive the vehicle for a few days it does it again. Sometimes it leaves us stranded other times it just wont start in our front yard. Jeep is aware of the issue but stated they cannot do anything without a code. Disgusted!
    Disgusted!

With the Jeep or the dealer? :mad:

The reality is that if a problem can't be replicated and it's not triggering a code which can be used as a starting point, then it's virtually impossible to fix.

There many things it could be, from a bad ignition switch to a virtually blocked fuel filter (and 101 things in between), but unless you want to throw parts randomly at it there's little that can be done until it either presents the problem to the dealer or it fails to start permanently, in which case it will be easy to identify the problem.
  • rob216rob216 Posts: 2
    i pulled in driveway cut off ignition got right back in my jeep nothing works now. the battery is good
  • Put it in Neutral. Start it.
  • rob216rob216 Posts: 2
    found problem to be electrical side of ignition switch
  • I have a 2007 Jeep Wrangler Sahara. The past few weeks my horn will randomly honk as well as headlights flashing, dashboard lights blinking, seat belt dinging...and most recently it has been difficult to start and has had to be jumped a few times.

I have had the battery and alternator tested and both appear to be 'good'.

Any thoughts?

Thanks...
    Without circuit testing it's hard to tell, but while there can be many causes a 'ghost in the machine' is often the result of a bad or intermittant ground.

If the battery is good but jumping gets it started I'd take a look at the battery connections.
  • 2005 jeep wrangler turns over great but wont fire or even attempt to fire. gastank has gas. It was running fine...turned it off then tried to restart 2 hours later but failed to fire. no history of starting issues.
    Could be almost anything from a failed coil rail feed to a bad fuel pump and 101 things inbetween.

Start by checking for codes.
  • My 2007 wrangler is having the EXACT same problem and the dealer didn't believe me and treated me like an idiot because they could not replicate the problem...How did you find out it was the electrical side of the ignition switch? Thanks for your help!
  • 2005 jeep wrangler turns over great but wont fire or even attempt to fire. gastank has gas. It was running fine...turned it off then tried to restart 2 hours later but failed to fire. no history of starting issues.
    2-1-12
    today I used starter fluid to see if the engine would fire and it started right up. Of course after the fluid burned away it stalled. Now I know I'm looking for a fule issue. Thanks Mac24, I will look for codes.
  • johns19johns19 Posts: 4
    edited February 2012
    2005 jeep wrangler turned over but failed to fire. I used starter fluid and it started right up but stalled after I stopped spraying. Over 4 days I tried starting it 15 times without starter fluid and the engine would turn over but not fire. I had it towed 13 miles and after it was in the driveway it fired right up. The next day it didn't start. When I check the codes by turning the key 3 times....the engine light blinks 10 times in a row. Could it be a loose wire somewhere? Fuel pump? Dirty fule filter?
    edited February 2012
    Yes, it could be a loose wire, bad connection, bad fuel pump, or blocked fuel filter.
    There's lots of things it could be but you need a starting point, so
    you need to beg, borrow, or steal a code reader (or rent one from AutoZone).

Post the code(s) you get and we'll take it from there.