Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Jeep Wrangler Starting Problems

2»

Comments

• Put it in Neutral. Start it.
  • rob216rob216 Posts: 2
    found problem to be electrical side of ignition switch
  • I have a 2007 Jeep Wrangler Sahara. The past few weeks my horn will randomly honk as well as headlights flashing, dashboard lights blinking, seat belt dinging...and most recently it has been difficult to start and has had to be jumped a few times.

I have had the battery and alternator tested and both appear to be 'good'.

Any thoughts?

Thanks...
  • mac24mac24 Posts: 3,910
    Without circuit testing it's hard to tell, but while there can be many causes a 'ghost in the machine' is often the result of a bad or intermittant ground.

If the battery is good but jumping gets it started I'd take a look at the battery connections.
  • 2005 jeep wrangler turns over great but wont fire or even attempt to fire. gastank has gas. It was running fine...turned it off then tried to restart 2 hours later but failed to fire. no history of starting issues.
    Could be almost anything from a failed coil rail feed to a bad fuel pump and 101 things inbetween.

Start by checking for codes.
  • My 2007 wrangler is having the EXACT same problem and the dealer didn't believe me and treated me like an idiot because they could not replicate the problem...How did you find out it was the electrical side of the ignition switch? Thanks for your help!
  • 2005 jeep wrangler turns over great but wont fire or even attempt to fire. gastank has gas. It was running fine...turned it off then tried to restart 2 hours later but failed to fire. no history of starting issues.
    2-1-12
    today I used starter fluid to see if the engine would fire and it started right up. Of course after the fluid burned away it stalled. Now I know I'm looking for a fule issue. Thanks Mac24, I will look for codes.
  • johns19johns19 Posts: 4
    edited February 2012
    2005 jeep wrangler turned over but failed to fire. I used starter fluid and it started right up but stalled after I stopped spraying. Over 4 days I tried starting it 15 times without starter fluid and the engine would turn over but not fire. I had it towed 13 miles and after it was in the driveway it fired right up. The next day it didn't start. When I check the codes by turning the key 3 times....the engine light blinks 10 times in a row. Could it be a loose wire somewhere? Fuel pump? Dirty fule filter?
    edited February 2012
    Yes, it could be a loose wire, bad connection, bad fuel pump, or blocked fuel filter.
    There's lots of things it could be but you need a starting point, so
    you need to beg, borrow, or steal a code reader (or rent one from AutoZone).

Post the code(s) you get and we'll take it from there.
  • I just had same problem with my 1992 wrangler. Worked great, I stalled it, and couldn't get it started with full gas, good spark. It's at the dealer with them trying to figure it out.
  • bobbyahabobbyaha Posts: 1
    my 03 tj wrangler has starting problems. before it was hard to start first thing in morning. like it was not getting fuel. now it does this every time. to get it to start i have to pump the gas. then it is like it is flooded. it has gas, the engine turns over well, i was thinking that the fuel pump is letting fuel run back to the tank? or lack of pressure?
  • johns19johns19 Posts: 4
    I originally had starting issues...installed new fuel pump (not assebly) and it worked fine. One month after the new fuel pump was installed the vehicle stalled as I went down the highway. Code p0301 came up. I spray either into fuel body and it starts. I turn the key forward and hear the fuel pump working. I have not checked to see if fuel is pumping to the fuel rail.
  • haver1haver1 Posts: 1
    My 2004 Jeep Wrangler runs great, when it starts. I have replaced the battery, but the problem still exists. It may not be driven more than once a week, but I start it up every two or three days, without even putting it in gear. Sometimes it starts immediately, but sometimes, it seems the battery is completely dead. I charge the battery back up, and we start the cycle over again. Something is draining the battery, completely, but not every time.
    I wonder if it could possibly be the ignition switch since that is the only part I physically move. I don't touch the gas pedal or brake, don't put it into gear, nothing...just the ignition switch. Sometimes the battery is drained, other times not.

Any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated.
  • erickplerickpl Posts: 2,735
    Do you have any aftermarket stuff hooked up? Stereo? Amp? Winch? Lights?

Have you had the battery AND alternator tested? Ensure the alternator is putting out 14V or so.

Had a similar issue, but my battery issue was due to previous winch operations and the battery just being worn out.

-Paul
  • fmjefffmjeff Posts: 1
    I just had the same problem with my 92 Wrangler yesterday. I was backing up and seemed to run out of fuel and stalled. I could not restart and determined good spark, and no fuel after turning the key and checking fuel pressure. I have all electrical items working, a/c, heater, lights, stereo, but NO acc lights, emergency brake light on the dash when I turn the key on. Checked all the relays and fuses and no issues. I was initially thinking fuel pump in the tank, but I'm thinking maybe the computer.......but at a loss. What did the dealer say?
  • i haave an 03 jeep wrangler it ran great then i had to put a new clutch in it andnow it wont start it set in the driveway for about 3 weeks the battery has charge and it will turn over but it wont fire any ideas?
2»