Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Simple question, will you buy a Toyota in the future?

2»

Comments

• daysailerdaysailer Posts: 711
    Although the accelerator issue is a blemish in a long standing reputation for high quality, Toyota is handling it responsibly and I would be no less likely to buy a Toyota because of it. It is unfortunate, however, that Toyota's problem seems to be caused by a USA supplier who may have introduced a defect not found in the same parts from Japanese or European manufacturers.
  • anythngbutgmanythngbutgm Posts: 4,175
    There were a few cars parked out front and people browsing the lot. It's also 10 degrees outside. There was a Venza parked out front running and a couple showed up to take it for a spin. The was a Camry, a new Highlander and a Tundra parked out front, all brand new, tagged for sale. People are still buying Toyotas folks, sorry to those who think Toyota is out of business now.

Coincidentally drove past the Chevy dealer next town over and it's a graveyard there. The Ford dealer across the street? I saw one person looking at the Edge. Another GMC/P/B dealer outside Boston? ghost town. Cadillac/Hummer dealer? Nope, nobody.

If you are buying a GM vehicle, today is your day. Toyotas recall woes seem to have helped :P
  • danielj6danielj6 Posts: 285
    It is difficult, if not unfair to write off Toyotas on the basis of this problem. Not to deny the lives that unfortunately were lost but it would be wise to wait and see what Toyota does (or doesn't) do in resolving the problem and rebuilding its reputation. Other manufacturers have had serious issues too.

Some twenty years ago Chrysler vans develped a problem with a rear latch, which the company, upon investigation by NHTSA it was found that replacing the latch would cost less that a dollar. The latch would somehow give way during movement and rear passengers fell out of the back. There were fatalities from this but Chrysler settled paying millions and survived.

My beef with Toyota is their dealers' practices. I am not saying that every dealer is crooked but after years speaking to toyota customers and reading reviews, I am yet to hear from or find an honest one. And yes, I am a toyota owner.
  • lemkolemko Posts: 15,162
    Toyota debuted here with the Toyopet Crown in 1959. The cars couldn't handle American highway speeds as valves snapped-off and transmissions siezed. They left and came back in 1961. Their first big hit was the 1965 Corolla.
  • 210delray210delray Posts: 4,722
    Actually, Toyota never left in the early 60s, as the Land Cruiser continued to be sold here. Also, the first hit in 1965 was the Corona. The Corolla debuted in model year 1969 in the US.
  • I went websites such as Car Complaints and Edmunds Reviews to see what issues have plagued the mainstream bread and butter Camry for the last few years.

I'll pass.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Central CTPosts: 9,693
    according to the supplier, the pedal is a Toyota design. It's just different from the JD built piece.
  • dtownfbdtownfb Posts: 2,915
    Yes, next purchase will be a minivan and Toyota has the best offering.
  • In Asian countries the reliability of the Brand Toyota is overwhelming, the car and other models are greatly appreciated for low maintenance cost and adequate supply of toyota parts and accessories.
  • I still Believe in the brand It's only in North America that some class of Toyota vehicles came on with some safety problems. It's not the Japanese to blame but to the quality of work in United states
  • ken117ken117 Posts: 194
    Owned a 2005 Toyota, not a basic trim. I thought the overall build quality was suspect. I was not pleased with the vehicle. I traded it a couple of years later for a Honda. The differences were remarkable. The Honda build quality is far superior. I also own a 2008 Scion. The build quality is also suspect. I have test driven several Mazda, Subaru, Nissan, and Hyundai vehicles in the last year or so. In my opinion, all surpass Toyota in build quality. I would never buy another Toyota product and I tend to steer everyone who asks to look elsewhere.
  • Buying cars from other countrys cause everybody taxes here to increase
  • lemkolemko Posts: 15,162
    ...no plans to buy one in the future and that includes Lexus and Scion.
  • nippononlynippononly SF Bay AreaPosts: 12,691
    I remain convinced that you, lemko, would really enjoy a Lexus LS sedan to drive. You should test drive one just to see! ;-)

2013 Civic SI, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (stick)

• larsblarsb Posts: 8,204
    If they have the car that meets my budget and needs, then yes.
  • michaellnomichaellno Posts: 4,300
    ...might be considered former Toyota loyalists. They've owned a '73 Corona, a '83 Celica H/B and a '91 Camry.

When they were shopping for their latest new car back in 2003, they were about ready to pull the trigger on another Camry. That is, until my dad spotted the Hyundai Sonata. They purchased a V6 GLS model for less money than a 4-cyl Camry LE.

7 years later, the Sonata has less than 30K on the clock and looks and runs like it's brand new.

Given that my folks are in their 70's, I'd say it's unlikely that they'll be buying a Toyota (or any other brand, for that matter).
  • After my last purchase, a 2010 Toyota Corolla LE, I would have to say no. Not so much for the quality of the vehicle, but more so because of the rubbish tires the Corolla comes with. With a $19K sticker price one would think that the car would come with tires that last longer than 6K miles, but the garbage Good Year Integrity tires wear out in a few thousand miles.

If Toyota goes cheap on the tires, what else did they go cheap on?
  • berriberri Posts: 4,189
    If Toyota goes cheap on the tires, what else did they go cheap on?

Corolla - take a look at all the posts about the rotten Toyo tires on the $40K+ Highlander Limited. I've been looking at crossovers and while Toyota comes with these cheapie tires, the Explorer, Acadia and Enclave all come with a decent Michelin ride. Sometimes I think all the old D3 brass have moved over to Toyota because they seem to be practicing what wrecked Detroit. All they've really accomplished is making themselves have to better compete on sales price - no more quality premium like the old days. Tokyo can have morons in charge too!
  • steverstever Ex Yooper, just arrived in New MexicoPosts: 40,538
    edited April 28

A way to shake up the middle managers?

"Toyota's move to Texas comes in the wake of its crisis with sudden-acceleration incidents. Some accidents were linked to floor mats jamming the gas pedal, causing the car to accelerate out of control. Those problems started Toyota on the path to reorganization.

Toyota was slow to disclose and address the problems, but it eventually recalled millions of vehicles to fix the floor mat issue, along with another mechanical defect that caused sticking gas pedals.

A special panel convened by the automaker concluded that Toyota's management responded slowly and ineffectually to the growing sudden-acceleration crisis because it was hampered by a top-down management style that gave short shrift to customer complaints.

The automaker has worked to reorganize its management structure to address those problems and give more autonomy to its regional operations."

Toyota to move jobs and marketing headquarters from Torrance to Texas (LA Times)

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• fintailfintail Posts: 33,711

I wonder what kind of bribe was passed. Going to be some culture shock...

Likely just the usual city and state "incentives" that the taxpayers will bear. Too bad they didn't just go to Tupelo. B)

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• fintailfintail Posts: 33,711
    edited April 28

Oh yes, incentives, not bribes. I think Texas would be enough of a shock as it is - MS would appear third world to people from LA. Cheap housing, but a lot of other sacrifices. And I won't even get into tornadoes :)

From Another site :

"Oh yes, I know what you've heard. And it's true, as the state's boosters like to brag, that Texas does not have an income tax. But Texas has sales and property taxes that make its overall burden of taxation on low-wage families much heavier than the national average, while the state also taxes the middle class at rates as high or higher than in California. For instance, non-elderly Californians with family income in the middle 20 percent of the income distribution pay combined state and local taxes amounting to 8.2 percent of their income, according to the Institute on Taxation and Economic Policy; by contrast, their counterparts in Texas pay 8.6 percent.

And unlike in California, middle-class families in Texas don't get the advantage of having rich people share equally in the cost of providing government services. The top 1 percent in Texas have an effective tax rate of just 3.2 percent. That's roughly two-fifths the rate that's borne by the middle class, and just a quarter the rate paid by all those low-wage "takers" at the bottom 20 percent of the family income distribution. This Robin-Hood-in-reverse system gives Texas the fifth-most-regressive tax structure in the nation.

Middle- and lower-income Texans in effect make up for the taxes the rich don't pay in Texas by making do with fewer government services, such as by accepting a K-12 public school system that ranks behind forty-one other states, including Alabama, in spending per student."

edited April 28

1936 Tupelo tornado outbreak was the fourth deadliest ever recorded in US history. There's a stretch of big trees in one neighborhood that got bent over by the winds and they all grew at an angle, like the palms in downtown Santa Monica that all seem to lean toward the ocean. Elvis was one at the time and survived. Bad series of them last night.

It would be kind of nice to see a mass exodus of businesses from California. Maybe I could finally afford to live there. :p

edited April 29

Well, the irony is a bit much. Tornado causes extensive damage in Tupelo (djournal.com)

We had lunch at the city park on Joyner Street just last year and that area was hit. :'(

"Toyota's current sales and marketing unit headquarters in Torrance, Calif., was too far from the auto maker's factories in Kentucky, Indiana, Mississippi and Texas and from its engineering center in Ann Arbor, Mich., Mr. Lentz said. Erlanger, Ky., where Toyota's North American manufacturing operations are now based, was too small, he said.

Toyota narrowed its preferred locations to Denver, Atlanta and Charlotte, N.C., before choosing the Dallas-Plano area, a person familiar with the matter said.

Texas offered Toyota $40 million to move, part of a Texas Enterprise Fund incentive program run out of the governor's office. At $10,000 a job, it was one of the largest incentives handed out in the decade-old program and cost more per job created than any other large award."

Texas to Pay $10,000 for Each Toyota Job (WSJ registration link)

2»