Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Torn between the Taurus SHO and the Acura TL AWD/Tech

2»

Comments

• ryguy91ryguy91 Posts: 3
    Who cares if they depreciate at a high rate. Every car will lose its value over the years, some more than others. But if you keep the car for a long time it won't matter. Plus that Hennessey package will help protect its depreciation. Every Hennessey upgrade package comes with its own serial number. Which making it rarer than a regular SHO.
  • billyperks2billyperks2 Posts: 378
    Is the SHO a car or SUV-everytime I see one I have to take a second look to realize its a 4 door sedan.No disrespect to the SHO and the owners but this thing is big.There is a red one that I see now and then in my neighborhood and it would probably do justice for a family of four.
  • ryguy91ryguy91 Posts: 3
    My uncle has one and it is just him that drives it. I wouldn't mind having one. Yes they are really big but i am 5'9 and when im well adjusted i can drive it just fine.
  • catz12catz12 Posts: 4
    I want to thank all of you for your replies. I really appreciate your time.

I did end up purchasing the SHO and I really love it except it is having some problems and I am now taking it in the shop for the second time for the same problem.

I will keep you posted.
  • Glad to hear you bought the SHO, catz. Personally, I think there was WAY too much Ford bashing in this thread. Maybe they're folks who own Acuras who are afraid their 'prestige factor' will decrease with their neighbors if it gets out that people are cross shopping their entry-level luxury rides with Fords. Ha.

But I completely get your comparison. I'll likely be in the market for the same type of vehicle in a few months and will definitely have both of those on my list (along with the CTS 4, G37, maybe a Volvo T6, and a couple others). I drive an A3 and need a larger family-friendly car that Dad (me) can enjoy tossing around a little when the wife and kiddies aren't onboard. Plus I have a latent patriotic streak that vaguely likes the idea of buying American.

I don't get all the vitriol and 'rolled eyes' about mentioning the 2 in the same sentence. The differences between brands aren't nearly as pronounced as they used to be. Lots of BS auto elitism in here. I hope your Ford experience improves.... and take comfort, if you can, knowing that you'd likely be in the same boat if you bought an Audi (take it from me).
  • My friend at work has a 09 acura that turn a mid 14's at ga 1/4 on 85 degree day but I turn 13.7 on a 95 degree , in my 2011 kona blue sho. stock exe. for airaid filter. see atl. dragonCon parade for picture 1st 5-10 min as MIB III.
  • hi Billy I have 2011 kona blu sho. I have had no problems with my. so I like to know what was wrong with your's and if ford got it fixed.
  • tonyc76tonyc76 Posts: 3
    How dose the SHO handle in the snow? I currently have an 2011 Acura MDX and I am thinking of getting the 2013 SHO, I live in Chicago and I am concerned with having the SHO in bad weather. Anyone have any thoughts?
  • wwestwwest Posts: 10,706
    edited April 2012
    The SHO is not nearly, simply cannot be, as functional on the slippery stuff as is the SH-AWD system.
  • tonyc76tonyc76 Posts: 3
    I understand that SHO would not handle the snow as well as the MDX SH-AWD. My question is if the SHO is manageable in snow, given all season tires and the AWD on the SHO?
  • wwestwwest Posts: 10,706
    The reason the SHO is only available with F/awd is because the engine will (too easily) produce to much torque for just the front tires' traction even on a highly tractive surface. Not much fun driving a car wherein TC activates so often under moderate acceleration, pre-emptively dethrottling the engine while braking the drive wheels, to prevent loss of directional control.

What that means to you insofar as wintertime moderate traction conditions is that you will have a lot of trouble keeping the TC from continuously activating.

That is unless the car has a TC "off" function is which case you will need to learn how to feather the throttle "just so" starting off initially on a bit of slippery stuff.

Some earlier FWD and F/awd vehicles would automatically "derate" the throttle responsiveness to the gas pedal position in lower gear ranges for a short period of time once an initial level of wheelspin/slip was detected.
2»