Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Torn between the Taurus SHO and the Acura TL AWD/Tech

Comments

• brucelincbrucelinc Posts: 814
    Much of the difference you note in 0-60 or quarter mile times takes place off the line. Many car magazines like C & D, will hold the brake with the left foot while while being on the gas with the right foot. Then they release the brake with the throttle floored. Having the engine speed up and, in the case of the SHO, the turbo boost already in place, results in quicker times. Just flooring the throttle without "brake torquing" will not be as quick with most cars.
  • graphicguygraphicguy SW OhioPosts: 6,896
    edited March 2010
    bruce....I agree. The car mags really abuse the cars they test to get the numbers they post. C&D, R&T, MT....all of them test in a way that most of us would never try to drive our cars.

One other big difference between the SHO and TL SH AWD that I found when test driving, was the braking. The SHO was pretty wimpy with regards to brakes. The TL far outshined it. The SHO is just too big and heavy for the brakes Ford put on it. I understand that you can get the performance package which should alleviate some of the braking problem. But, you have to get that package with "summer only" tires. That would be a handful for anyone who drives in the rain, or snowy areas in winter.

Even with "all season" tires, the Acura is a much better handling car than the SHO.

Then, there's the warranty. Ford is 3/36. Acura is 4/50. And, I'm betting that resale on the Acura (which has always been near the top) is going to be much better down the line, too.

All that said, buy what you like.
  • njvikenjvike Posts: 56
    I think Ford is concerned about the Public Relations issue this may cause.

I have two Acura vehicles. One '07 Type S and the other is an '09 MDX. I love them both because they have great seats and very little body roll. I think it was said that Acura makes the best seats in the market; Nav system isn't too shabby either.

I looked at the Taurus SHO and I really like it. Granted $45 is quite an asking price for a Ford but this is not your every day Ford. This car has 365 Horsepower from twin turbos and runs the 1/4 in 13.7; you'll even beat some Mustangs with this baby.

There are several places to go to even get more performance out of it. One place does sell some tuning items like a chip for about $400 that will give you an extra 40HP and 70 foot pounds of torque that will get you in the low 13s.

Doug Hennesey makes a $3450 kit which will give you 100HP (look both up on you tube) This will get you in the high 12s making your family Ford be able to eat up any Mopar with the SRT and all Mustangs.

Bottom line is Acura is a great sports luxury car with great residual value and great build quality. The Taurus SHO is a family hot rod with plenty of goodies and even though Ford is getting a good part of the market share, they're not better than Acura.

So, if you like a car that's quick and handles great you get the TL. If 0-60 and 1/4 mile times are all that matter to you, than the SHO is for you.

Hope that helps and good luck with your decision.
  • robtroxelrobtroxel Posts: 103
    Honda/Acura knows they have an ugly issue to deal with..the front grill on the TL (Looks like a Beak or a tooth). They are finally going to change it. Id wait this out as they are also doing other tweaks to the rear too.
  • wwestwwest Posts: 10,706
    An SHO and FWD.....??

More idiocy from Ford.

But if you're of the boy racer mentality then the Ford is your game. If wintertime driving stability is your thing then the Acura SH-AWD system.
  • gbosilgbosil Posts: 88
    edited April 2011
    Well I also have a 2007 Acura TL Type S and 2010 Acura TSX Tech. Just traded my TSX for a 2011 Audi S4 340 HP 333 Pd Ft Torque 0-60 in 4.7 DSG Transmission and Qtr Mile in 12.7! Granted this is a 60K car. Now don't get me wrong I love my TL and won't part with it. I think the build quality is superior in every way. Love it! ... Now my 2010 TSX was a piece of crap! Rattles, wouldn't start, seat creaking, transmission issues, poor paint quality and many other issues.. :lemon: But the direction Acura has been heading since 2009 is in the WRONG Direction! No "S" line ? ? ? ? WTF! No sports car ? ? Huh ? ? I don't get it! If Acura keeps going in this direction the brand will become extinct!
  • billyperks2billyperks2 Posts: 378
    S4- very nice machine, dont blow me away when you see me on the highway with the TL SH-AWD.
    Good Luck!!!
    Hey Billy .. I won't blow you off the hwy ;) It's amazing how many people know my S4 is a Rocket! I had a guy pull up next to me in a GT Mustang today and said wanna race and then laughed! He then said "I was just joking" ..my response .."ya thought so!" :) Awesome machine! I am getting 27 HWY and about 23MPG mixed driving. Not bad for all that HP! Big improvement from the old S4!
  • ryguy91ryguy91 Posts: 3
    edited April 2011
    I would highly suggest the SHO. My uncle has a 2010 with the performance package and it is a great car. And to add on top of the already potent 365bhp powerplant, he sent his SHO off to Hennessey Performance. They installed the MaxBoost package which raised it to 445bhp. And it makes that 4000lb behemoth run like a sports car. And you can always put the programmer in and change it back to the factory tune any time you choose and vise versa. It is a very good investment. Hopefully i helped you out in your decision on a new car. Good luck!!
    No car is a good investment! They depreciate like a ROCK! :P
    Who cares if they depreciate at a high rate. Every car will lose its value over the years, some more than others. But if you keep the car for a long time it won't matter. Plus that Hennessey package will help protect its depreciation. Every Hennessey upgrade package comes with its own serial number. Which making it rarer than a regular SHO.
  • billyperks2billyperks2 Posts: 378
    Is the SHO a car or SUV-everytime I see one I have to take a second look to realize its a 4 door sedan.No disrespect to the SHO and the owners but this thing is big.There is a red one that I see now and then in my neighborhood and it would probably do justice for a family of four.
    My uncle has one and it is just him that drives it. I wouldn't mind having one. Yes they are really big but i am 5'9 and when im well adjusted i can drive it just fine.
  • catz12catz12 Posts: 4
    I want to thank all of you for your replies. I really appreciate your time.

I did end up purchasing the SHO and I really love it except it is having some problems and I am now taking it in the shop for the second time for the same problem.

I will keep you posted.
  • Glad to hear you bought the SHO, catz. Personally, I think there was WAY too much Ford bashing in this thread. Maybe they're folks who own Acuras who are afraid their 'prestige factor' will decrease with their neighbors if it gets out that people are cross shopping their entry-level luxury rides with Fords. Ha.

But I completely get your comparison. I'll likely be in the market for the same type of vehicle in a few months and will definitely have both of those on my list (along with the CTS 4, G37, maybe a Volvo T6, and a couple others). I drive an A3 and need a larger family-friendly car that Dad (me) can enjoy tossing around a little when the wife and kiddies aren't onboard. Plus I have a latent patriotic streak that vaguely likes the idea of buying American.

I don't get all the vitriol and 'rolled eyes' about mentioning the 2 in the same sentence. The differences between brands aren't nearly as pronounced as they used to be. Lots of BS auto elitism in here. I hope your Ford experience improves.... and take comfort, if you can, knowing that you'd likely be in the same boat if you bought an Audi (take it from me).
  • My friend at work has a 09 acura that turn a mid 14's at ga 1/4 on 85 degree day but I turn 13.7 on a 95 degree , in my 2011 kona blue sho. stock exe. for airaid filter. see atl. dragonCon parade for picture 1st 5-10 min as MIB III.
  • hi Billy I have 2011 kona blu sho. I have had no problems with my. so I like to know what was wrong with your's and if ford got it fixed.
  • tonyc76tonyc76 Posts: 3
    How dose the SHO handle in the snow? I currently have an 2011 Acura MDX and I am thinking of getting the 2013 SHO, I live in Chicago and I am concerned with having the SHO in bad weather. Anyone have any thoughts?
  • wwestwwest Posts: 10,706
    edited April 2012
    The SHO is not nearly, simply cannot be, as functional on the slippery stuff as is the SH-AWD system.
  • tonyc76tonyc76 Posts: 3
    I understand that SHO would not handle the snow as well as the MDX SH-AWD. My question is if the SHO is manageable in snow, given all season tires and the AWD on the SHO?