Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2013 and Earlier - Toyota Sienna Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• hause7hause7 Posts: 153
    You can't go by KBB, dealers sure don't. Toyota's are not overhyped. I just don't believe you own a Sienna and are that unhappy. Most unhappy owners would have ditched their car/van long ago. We are repeat Sienna owners because they are awesome vans, the best in our opinion. Oh and they are not overpriced. You can actually get an LE Sienna for the same price as a equally equipped 09 Town&Country LX.
  • hansiennahansienna Posts: 2,312
    KBB is THE book the local Toyota and Honda dealers use to establish Trade-In value in connection with auto auctions.

Comparison kbb trade in values as of 4/13/2009 for a Sienna LE in "GOOD" condition with same options and same 28,000 miles:

2006 Sienna LE $ 12,475
    2007 Sienna LE $ 14,250

This $ 1775 is DRASTICALLY less than the $ 5,000 difference between a 2006 and a 2007 a Toyota lover posted earlier in this forum. :shades:

BTW, the VIN for my 2006 Toyota Sienna LE is 5TDZA23C46S389088
    You can NOT buy a Sienna LE equipped as a Chrysler T&C LX because THE most important comfort feature "Separately controlled temperature for driver and front passenger" is NOT an option on the Sienna LE. Toyota is too greedy to offer this option on the CE or LE.

In fairness, my 2006 Sienna LE has a more comfortable driver's seat, more attractive front door panels, nicer cloth seats, more power (with same fuel economy), more cargo space behind the 3rd row seats than the T&C LX ( 2002 or 2009) but the Toyota Sienna LE is NOT as quiet on the highway as was my 2002 Chrysler T&C LX. The 2nd row seats of my 06 Sienna LE are NOT as comfortable as the 2nd row Quad seats of my 2002 T&C LX. The Sienna AM radio reception is NOT as good in southern Nevada and the Mojave Desert of southern California as was the T&C AM radio.

I would buy another Sienna LE if Toyota offered an optional separately controlled temperature for driver and front passenger AT THE SAME COST as the $ 995 it costs on a 2009 GC SE. I would even consider buying a 2009 Sienna XLE if a white 2009 Sienna XLE with NO extra options were on the lot of our local dealers - even though my wife and I think the fake plastic wood inside the XLE is UGLY.

I do NOT hate the Sienna - I am just very disappointed with it after owning a 2002 Chrysler T&C LX that had more features we like and also cost less. :shades:

As identified by others, I paid TOO much for my Sienna because Toyota offered a $ 1,000 incentive (bribe) to sell 2006 Siennas shortly after I got mine and offered bigger incentives at various times since January 3, 2006. (But Chrysler also offered even bigger incentives many times).
    No, we live in the Rocky Mountain area of the United States. ;)
  • tjefftjeff Posts: 6
    Do Toyota Sienna buyers know that by buying a foreign vehicle, they contribute to the trade deficit? The trade deficit adds to the federal bludget deficit, since the difference between what we import from Japan (a lot) and export to Japan (very little), is finance by selling treasury bills. We pay $Billions to Japan in debt service.

Thanks for adding to my tax bill, and thanks for helping make the U.S. a debtor nation. There are many things to consider when buying a vehicle that are more important than the false sense of superiority that comes with a Toyota.

I'll only buy American.
  • Vans that are made in Indiana (where 4500 people are employed by Toyota alone) with parts made in the US by American workers with suppliers in the Midwest. Lots of suppliers in Kentucky if you drive along I64 from Louisville to Lexington- they generally feed the Georgetown plant.

My mother lives outside of Lexington, KY and Toyota is a massive part of the local economy there. From the local suppliers to the Georgetown plant itself. They pay excellent wages to Americans and have been very good to the local economies that they have touched.

US Automakers have really not invested of late in domestic production- but that's beginning to return somewhat to idle plants. They moved a lot of work to Canada and Mexico, and it's generally not coming back.

So what's a Domestic car?

A car assembled of mostly US made parts in the US or a car made of mostly non-us content made outside of the US, badged as an American car?

My Volkswagen was made in Mexico of mostly Mexican and Brazilian parts. There's very little 'German' in it except for design.

BTW, Ford and GM are building some really great cars these days- in a number of ways superior to the foreign names. However I'm not going to buy a Dodge minivan- I just don't like them. BTW, your Dodge van is built in Canada. Chrysler closed the St. Louis plant that used to make them.
  • kyfdx@Edmundskyfdx@Edmunds Posts: 25,906
    Let's stick to Sienna Prices Paid, please..

If you aren't shopping for a Sienna, or interested in buying a Sienna, surf around and find another discussion...

Thanks!
    kyfdx

Moderator - Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    The 8 seater is cheaper? Unless you reversed the prices go for the LE8 because it actually costs more.
    KBB is THE book the local Toyota and Honda dealers use to establish Trade-In value in connection with auto auctions.

Wrong.

Dealers use the NADA Black Book for reference, not KBB. KBB values are usually grossly inflated.

I suggest the Real-World Trade-in Values thread here on Edmunds. Volvomax is a dealer and goes to a lot of auctions and will report back on what prices are actually being paid for used models by dealers at auctions.

Those real-world values are much more useful than KBB values, which are pretty much useless, and used only by sellers looking to inflate car values so they can say "For Sale for $500 below Kelley Blue Book".

KBB is useless, seriously. To quote volvomax, "I could care less" what KBB values are.

Here is a link for you to that thread: http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.ee9c851/37460

PS The $5000 joke was just that, a joke, hence the Emotorcons ;) . Lighten up. For someone who dishes out a ton of criticism you don't seem to take criticism (even jokingly) very well.
    A 2007 Sienna LE has also depreciated RAPIDLY.

Admit the truth: a 2007 Sienna LE also has a pathetic trade in value...just $ 1775 more than the lower powered 2006 Sienna LE.

The quoted selling price of a NEW 2009 Sienna XLE with MSRP $ 33,448 at the closest local Toyota dealer is $31,448 as quoted Saturday April 11, 2009.

Add the difference between the $ 13,000 trade in offer for my 2006 Sienna LE with 28,000 miles and the $11,900 trade in offer from the Honda dealer, and the price of a NEW 2009 Sienna XLE MSRP $ 33,448 would be $30,448 which is still MUCH higher than the $ 28,105 for a BETTER Honda Odyssey EX-L. ;)
    You are comparing wholesale trade-in value (lowest possible) with dealer brand new pricing (highest possible). Apples to oranges.

Of course there will be a big difference.

Sell it privately. You already saw that one person here jumped at your $13,xxx price, clearly you can get much more than what a low-ball dealer offer would be.

Your van is probably worth $16-17 grand.

Shop around some more - the prices you were quoted seem high. Locally, fitzmall.com has XLE models starting at $27089 and that includes freight. About a grand less than that Ody EX-L.

They have one with a list price of $33,180, closest I saw to yours, and the no-haggle price on that is just $29,390.

Keep shopping, you should be able to do about $2 grand better than the deal you were quoted.

Don't overpay again. I think you made that mistake last time.

And if you truly believe the Ody is better, then why are you even asking?
    Let's re-do the numbers your way vs. my way....

Ody $28,105 - 11900 trade = $16,205 net cost to you

If you sell it yourself, you can get $16 grand easily, then shop around for a truly good deal (this took me about 3 minutes at a no-haggle dealer, you can do better):

Sienna XLE $27,089 - 16000 trade = $11,089 net cost to you

Heck, even if you don't feel like going through the effort, and still take that low-ball $13k trade offer, you would pay $14 grand.

Saves you more than $2 grand over the Ody.

Even your "Ody has better residual value" argument won't make up the $2 grand. The Sienna is still the better deal by far.
  • tomd8tomd8 Posts: 8
    Hi,

I got a quoted for 2009 Toyota Sienna, 8 passenger seat, with LE-EVP#3, AL, RL, FWD for $26,200.00 (out the door price) in Maryland. Is this a good price?

Thanks.
    Joe
    I'm also interested in the Sienna LE-8 with the same package you indicated. I was wondering which dealer provide you the quote.

Thanks.
  • sjennesjenne Posts: 7
    Joe,

That would seem to indicate a sales price of $24,500. Given that the invoice for such a vehicle is $27,000 per edmunds, I don't know if that is a good deal or not. At that price, are they giving you the 1.9% financing too?
  • azdinoazdino Posts: 9
    Just finished the process of searching for, locating, bidding on and buying a 2005 Sienna in Phoenix, AZ. I used CraigsList for most of my search and locate. The van (my first ever) had 23,400 miles on it (yes - 23,400 is correct) and sold for $13,500 along with $300 for 2 replacement tires.

AZ has no sales tax on a private sale and I had no dealer-oriented cash-drain or hassles since I just did NOT use them. Cash sale upfront through my credit union.

This is how to REALLY buy a vehicle; older with low mileage & offer a clean deal for CASH. In today's world CASH speaks loudly.

This was 2->3 weeks learnng the market & 3->4 days actually looking and bidding. Be patient - after all the spread could be like $50 per hour of your time spent on a look/bid.

You also save funds on lower vehicle registration fees.

By the way, both KBB and NADA showed horribly low numbers versus the real market.

Insist on a safety review from a nearby mechanical shop. :)
  • xemiterxxemiterx Posts: 2
    This will be my first time spending this much on a car. I'd like an 09 Sienna 7 Passenger with Package #1, Tow Prep and DRL. Edmunds TMV on this is $22,514.

Is that the lowest amount I should expect, or can I get it for less? Anybody care to share what they paid for the same vehicle?
    I just pick up the car today at castle toyota in baltimore and I decided to use the 1.9 APR instead of the $1,000 rebate so price out the door when from $26,200 to $27,080.
    Does Toyota make ANY base Sienna XLE with NO extra, high cost options?

I would like a BASE Sienna XLE with NO options since it would have cloth seats, dual power sliding doors, 3 zone temperature control, complete overhead console with compass/outside temperature/trip control that we want...BUT we do NOT want the overpriced options that are mandatory in the Denver Region. The BASE Sienna XLE is comparable to the Odyssey EX with no options but has nicer door panels and the overhead console not on the Odyssey EX while the Odyssey has the seating for 8.

A BASE Sienna XLE has an MSRP of $ 30,788 in Denver Region vs Odyssey EX MSRP $ 30,825. :shades:

However, the Sienna XLE that I have seen has an MSRP $ 33,448 (or more) which puts it in the Ody EX-L price range. Honda currently has a $ 2,500 dealer incentive for the Odyssey while Toyota has only $ 1,000 which makes the Sienna NOT competitive..
  • yatesjoyatesjo Posts: 186
    MyToyota Sienna has a higher US parts content than my Ford ZX2. The Sienna is assembled in the US with a US made engine and transmission. The parts content on my Sienna is 80% US/Canada and 10% Japan.

By comparison my "American" Ford was assembled in Hermosillo, Mexico with a Mexican engine and a Japanese (Mazda) transmission.

Stop being a jingoistic bigot. GM, Ford and Chrysler should go bankrupt- Bush was an A$$ for extending them credit last year. They've continued as long as they have on inertia and "buy American" stupidity for decades. Instead of leaning out and becoming competitive they've remained bloated and mismanaged all that time turning out under-engineered and overpriced crud. Now Obama is exerting fascistic control over GM and Chrysler and I won't even start on my opinion of the auto unions....