Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pontiac Bonneville

Comments

• Hi, I read this board everyday, however, I haven't posted in a long, long time.
    My occupation has taken me from home (Chicago) to Hadley, MA. I've been here since Aug 1st, I've seen some 2k+ Bonnevilles and waved, but no response.
    Ken, I guess I haven't seen your ride yet.
    The GM site: As far as it being a benefit to a to someone who moves around quite abit, maybe I missed something. The site thinks my primary service center is Tom Wood Pontiac in Indianaopolis, IN, where I bought the car.
    My work took me to Chicago within an oil change of purchase, and I've been to two dealer service centers in the two years that I spent there.
    Now, I have had four oil changes (tire rotate)since in MA. BTW the car has been completely trouble free at 53k.
    One would think that GM would have a database of the of service performed on the VIN. But, maybe I missed something. Do you really have to enter your own maintenance info? That's no fun.
    I have an Excel spreadsheet of every inch that my car has rolled since purchase, in my PocketPC. If any form of info has to be derived, it can be, with the mileage, gallons, services, cost, etc. that I keep a records of. But, I'm a surveyor. and sort of a nerd as far as records are concerned.
    If I had a few minutes of free time, I'd do the pulley trick. However. the quickness of the car still hasn't become boring. I haven't gone out of my way to do any mods except for a K&N filter and Mobile 1.
    What a great ride.
    2000 SSEi
    Rick
  • mlm4mlm4 Posts: 401
    Interesting that when I registered my Bonnie the MyGMLink web site also automatically selected the dealership I purchased the car from as my "preferred" dealership. When I registered the Tahoe no dealer was selected (maybe their records don't go back to 1998 for that sort of thing, I dunno). So if they know where I got my car, how come they don't know what has been done to it? (They probably do, but haven't yet figured out how to link it to this database.)
    Still love the car, but I am increasingly disappointed about the vibration problem, which improved when they rebalanced the wheels (no more shake in the steering wheel) but still feels like I'm driving on a washboard at certain speeds on smooth roads. I really believe that it is not an easy thing to fix and I don't have patience for dealing with it, especially on a "new" car that cost well over $30 grand. I continue to live with it primarily because the Bonnie is not my daily ride, and when I do take it out I have much fun with it.
    All you New England guys are making me homesick. I know I'm an oddball here in Florida, but I think there is something seriously wrong when it is 85 degrees and the mosquitoes are out in late January. Where's my cold weather?
  • smfransmfran Posts: 432
    Didn't someone on this board (Ezrapon?) mention that Curt Warner drove an SSEi? Even if that is the case..... GO PATRIOTS!!!!
  • GM has no service records for our Bonnevilles, other then warranty repairs. Warranty repairs will be rolled into the system later, I beleive I read somewhere. I second the GO PATRIOTS!!!!!!
  • tpkentpken Posts: 1,108
    Rick - welcome to New England. Contrary to your present situation here, January is not typically 60-70 degrees with a first place football team! BTW - I know someone who grew up in Hadley - nice litle town I hear.

Micheal - sorry bud - no snow, no cold, no solid ice on the ponds and lakes. The dirt roads are muddy and if it doesn't change soon the crocuses and tulips will be up! It feels and looks like late March around here. Really weird!!!

PATS in the Super Bowl?? But where's the wonder man - former coach Bill P??? How did this happen?

Seriously - it was great to see Bledsoe have an awesome game coming back as he did to take over from Brady after not playing since Sep. He's a great quarterback and apparantly a real gentleman too.

Best wishes to all

Ken
  • mfahey1mfahey1 Posts: 419
    A 60-70 degree day in New England in January or the Patriots in the Super Bowl? For what it's worth, ever since the St. Louis Cardinals pulled up stakes and moved west to Arizona, I just can't warm up to the St. Louis Rams so I'm pulling for the Patriots.
    I see where Mercury is bringing back the Marauder ala the Impala SS. Supposed to have a very impressive 300+ hp. Hmmm. Could I be tempted? Maybe at the reported list price of around $30,000.
    Having owned 2 GMs I'd like to see how this one turns out. I'm not tempted to go buy one but I'd sure like to drive it.

BTW I stopped at my local Pontiac GMC Cadillac dealer today and saw the new CTS - and was unimpressed. The Envoy, OTOH, is VERY impressive and I'd love to drive one to compare to the Trail Blazer I tried recently.

There were NO new Bonnies in sight! You'd think it was an orphan! OH well - I got the 2002 catalogue anyway.

Take care all

Ken
    Have you seen the recent posts over on the Bonneville Problems board regarding 95-98 3800 engines?? Absolutely scary! Hope this is not a problem for 2000 on.

Ken
  • fantascpfantascp Posts: 175
    I'm still here- i'm not really worried about it yet- obviously it could be something to be VERY concerned over- but with only 8 or 9 posts out of all the car owners of 1995 to 1998 bonnevilles- (imho) i'm not jumping the gun on anything yet.-
    i can only relate right now to my own vehicles and so far no intake problems as a matter of fact, no problems with either car- both are running GREAT!!!! Thanks for the heads up and your concern- I'm really sorry for those that have had problems with this and can only hope that these are isolated cases.

Regards,

Chuck
  • ezraponezrapon Posts: 348
    As i stated before, Curt Warner is a neighbor. He drives a 2000 bronzemist SSEi. Winners drive Bonnevilles. The Rams will humiliate the pats again as they did in week 10... shame on you mfahey... using the cardinals and the rams in the same thought tch tch tch.
  • stnelstnel Posts: 338
    Hope you Bonneville owners making your way to the "Big Easy" for the Superbowl will have a great trip.

They've been talking about all the added security but I doubt it will compare to the Olympics. I heard the the security in Utah is costing $300 million. Of course, that's 2 weeks vs. 1 day.

Anyway, if any of you are going to New Orleans, hope your experience is a good one!!

Stacy
  • smfransmfran Posts: 432
    Roger - My memory is obviously better than yours. I remembered you mentioning that Kurt Warner drives a Bonnie, you forget that the Patriots basically gave the week 10 game to the Rams. Not even diehard St. Louis fans can say that the Rams humiliated the Pats in that game. It was even closer than the 24-17 score indicates. Enjoy the game!
    Stephen
    Nice to see you again! How's that Grand Prix doing these days? A woman in my office just bought a 2002 GT and loves it.

No plans for travelling farther than my sofa to watch the game on Sunday for me!

Thanks for stopping by. Take care.

Ken
    The car is doing great but it really needs to be washed. It's embarrassing, it's so dirty! If it's warm enough today, I may wash it.

I was reading over the posts and saw where your car got scratched. That's a shame. I'm still waiting for my first car scratch. (Just because I said this, I've jinxed myself!!) It seems like yours was probably an accident, but the person with the "8" scratch was definitely vandalism. I don't know why people do that.

Anyway, good luck with the Patriots!

Stacy
    Yes Stacy, cars get absolutely filthy this time of year - especially in these northern climates where we cope with road salt in addition to the mud and general grime. You have to be so careful not to touch your jacket or pants against the car and get a white smear on your clothing - it's just plain GROSS!
    I've never heard of road salt before. I imagine it's much harder keeping a car clean up north because you never have a warm day to wash it until spring. I don't really know anything about snow but I imagine constantly getting into the car with wet clothing will ruin a cloth interior as well. What can I say--you northerners pay your dues in the winter and we southerners pay ours in the summer! I think I'd rather do a little damage to the paint job/interior than burn an engine out in a car--which I've done before when I was young.
  • rea98drea98d Posts: 982
    My grandma's got a '92 Bonneville with the Series I 3.8. I know, I know, I'm evil to want to hop up grandma's car...
    But my question is this- Can the Series II heads be bolted onto a Series I block with no trouble, or will the computer need to be updated to work with the newer heads? Will intakes, throttle bodies, ect carry over from the S I to the S II, or do I need an entire SII top end?
    And now for the $64,000 question....
    How much will all this cost?
  • mfahey1mfahey1 Posts: 419
    Now that the Chicago area is getting hit with snow for the first time this year, I took out the SSEi for the first time ever in snow. The car is almost two years old but I basically parked it last winter and drove the beater van. With the tires that are standard on the SSEi, it was your basic grossly understeering front driver(read, I almost kissed a bridge on a curve). Time to be a little more careful.
    To set the record straight, I basically grew up in St. Louis rooting for the St. Louis CARDINALS. The Rams were just some interlopers that came along when there was more money to be had than in Los Angeles.. Of course, if I still lived there, I'm sure I'd be on the Rams bandwagon too.
  • You'll run into trouble trying to interchange parts. Your best bet is to find a L36 (3800SII) or L67 (3800SII supercharged). You'll also need a 4T65-E to handle the power, the older 4T60-E won't take it for long. Come over to http://www.bonnevilleclub.com, we've got some interesting discussion on this going on.
  • rea98drea98d Posts: 982
    Thanks for the link & advice. I'll check it out.