Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pontiac Bonneville

Comments

• tpkentpken Posts: 1,108
    A milestone event!!
    Is anyone else affected by this problem? The scroll-up feature and the 'Go to' post # feature don't work

Hello Edmunds Hosts - Is there a software problem here???
  • montanafanmontanafan Posts: 945
    tpken, something must be going on. When I hit "Read Subscriptions", I now get the whole page and not just the unread messages.
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    Yes. It was indeed.

However, at this moment things are working correctly for me, so maybe they have fixed it. Let's hope so.

Pat
    Host
    Sedans Message Board
    Thanks Pat!!
  • mlm4mlm4 Posts: 401
    I love/hate these things. They look better than bare lug nuts, but the technicians always forget to remove them BY HAND before going at the actual lug nut with the air wrench. Duh! The dealer already lost one of mine, I had to go back and make them give me a new one (they tried to blame it on a "broken" plastic part). Even though it seems ridiculous to have to do this, I think maybe next time I'll take them off myself before the dealer touches it. That way, they can't ruin or lose any! (I used to do this with my '82 Bonneville wagon -- they would ruin the wire wheel covers with their mallets and pry bars.)
    Going to have to get my Aquatreads rotated soon - perhaps tomorrow. Guess I'll pull off the caps first since I've also lost a couple. I had replacements put on back in December when I bought the tires but they seem to disappear.

BTW - there are some who would suggest I am missing more than a few caps!

Ken
  • mfahey1mfahey1 Posts: 419
    Your talk of dealers and removing and taking off tires reminded me of one of my pet peeves, that of service technicians almost universally reinstalling tires without using a torque wrench or stick, just letting the old impact gun wail away on the lug nuts.
    I changed a tire for a friend of ours last week and I would estimate that it took 200 lb ft to get the lug nuts off. In addition to running the risk of ruining the rotors, it probably eliminates virtually all women and more than a few men from being able to change a tire if needed. It only took my back 3-4 days to recover.
    When I rotate my tires, I look it up in the manual and set my torque wrench for that setting.
  • smfransmfran Posts: 432
    You may be missing more than a few caps; you're nuts! :)
  • theicemantheiceman Posts: 736
    It appears to be a go for the G/XP. Of course, who can say BUT they are supposed to hit the showrooms in about a year's time. With the continued decline of the sales of the Bonneville, it really looks bleak for its future. Perhaps the sleeker lines will give it a boost. Although, a sleeker Bonneville does beg the question as to why GM needs to have the LeSabre as well.

Ward's Auto World

I hope this link works - not much there though (except my source of the latest news). Look up the G/XP article under "Ward's Wrapup"

Ciao, ice

I thought of you today when I posted in italics in #2509 above. I actually pulled out your Email which explained how to do it. Thanks again.
    It's ironic that you posted today. Do you have a link to any other articles and/or pictures of the G/XP? I would consider one in May 2003.
  • enormusenormus Posts: 3
    I'm very excited by the announcement that Pontiac will most likely produce the G/XP. In the meantime, I'm thinking of tuning my 2000 SSEi with some of the same equipment used on the G/XP. I had already installed a K&N drop in filter right after I bought the car. Now I have a desire to put on some performance brake pads and some slotted rotors. I am thinking of going with Baer and EradiSpeed. Anyone have any experience with this? I realize this question would be better in the Modifications group, but there isn't much activity there.
    Stephen - here's a link that Dan posted earlier for pics of the Bonneville as well as Grand Prix. There are better pics around - I'll have to find them again and post here.

http://www.mountaintopclub.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=3&t=000009

I do remember checking out Dan's links last time he posted. I wish he'd become a regular here again. If you can find more links to pictures of the GX/P, please post.
    Stephen
  • sixxersixxer Posts: 36
    G'day all!

Has anyone taken on the task of changing the foglight on a 2000 SE? Mine has burnt, but I'm still trying to figure out how to remove the light so I can see which bulb I need. Any ideas on removal, and the bulb number?

Lovin my Bonneville!
    Stan
    Chuck - you been there yet?
  • fantascpfantascp Posts: 175
    Stan,Ken- sorry, can't help here- have not had to replace the bulbs.

Stan- if its not in the owners manual- try going to MYGMLINKS.COM- they have a lot of useful info
    on service etc after your register your pontiac.

Chuck
  • theicemantheiceman Posts: 736
    Stephen: Here's a link with the biggest pictures of the GXP I was able to find: supercars.net. It has a difficult interface but I was able to download the pics (made copies from my cache). It's worth the trouble as the pix are big enough that you can actually see the holes in the rotors! I'd say get 'em fast while the getting's good.

I'd have to say that all this talk about the G/XP has me putting off any mods to my Bonnie or even buying an SSEi. I'd rather sink my money into the '03 G/XP. Call me a lunatic but this is just what GM has to do - get some buzz going and give (some of) us a reason to at least dream about trading in earlier than common sense tells us we should. Same thing about bringing over the Holden Monaro as a Pontiac GTO. Here are two cars that are going to create some buzz for Pontiac - and with very little effort. I say bravo Mr. Lutz.

Stan: my first fog burnout just happened the other month - mine's still under warranty though so I let the dealer take care of it.

I'm up to 20k miles on the '00 SLE now and very few issues. One of two interior squeaks (on each of the front doors) disappeared on its own and the other after an application of some leather lubricant. Very little spent so far on maintenance (except Mobil 1 every 3000 miles) and still on the original RSA's. I'm impressed enough that I might get the car similarly re-shod when this autumn rolls around. Only quirk? A light in the stereo unit burnt out. No probs because it's under warranty but I was stunned to learn that they replace the entire unit - not just the light! That's gotta cost somebody something! That notwithstanding, this is one of the nicest, most trouble-free rides I have had in many many years.

I'll be back I'm sure gang. Don't keep a light on for me though - I have my own key >:)

Wow - that's enough to get anyone's pulse racing!

I'd like to see it in a more colorful hue - this looks like blue-gray. I'd like to see a garnet red or forest green.

Ken

P.S. - I really do appreciate the lack of cladding and superfluous touches - they really took it down to it's most elegant look.
  • twobrownstwobrowns Posts: 52
    I have a 2001 ssei with 33000 miles. Up to recently it used little oil between oil changes(3000 miles). However it is now using about 1 Qt in 2500 miles which is not excessive but this change for no apparent reason! No oil leaks etc. Any thoughts?