Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pontiac Bonneville

Comments

• fantascpfantascp Posts: 175
    Originally I thought so also but I found out from
    members on Bonneville Club.com that the 1997 40th Anniversary was not exclusive to Dark Cherry-It came in a variety of colors- Black, Silver etc-not just Dark Cherry.
    As a matter of fact, Prestige Motors in Upstate New York was selling a Silver 40th Anniversary SSE Edition a while ago.
  • theicemantheiceman Posts: 736
    Three large is indeed a lot to pay for a six y.o. car that's worth maybe a tad more double that. Up here, Maaco is what you do when you want to spruce it up to sell it - not if you want to keep it and certainly not if you're thinking of going to white. I just wouldn't recommend it - although it is a crap shoot (I have seen 1/2 decent Maaco jobs - not many, mind you).

Another couple of options:

1. Take what you would've spent on a decent paint job, add it to what you could get on your '98 and look for a decent '99 or '00 which is already white and in decent shape.

2. Get the Maaco job but keep it the same colour (it is a nice colour!) - but don't let them skimp on the surface prep work and masking (those are their big weaknesses - them and that Scheib guy). If Maaco paint jobs turn out well initially, they usually don't look all that great beyond a year or two. So, plan to sell/trade it before then.

My $0.02
    Thanks again for the info- got time to decide which way i want to go with this.

*check out the 1958 BLACK BONNEVILLE, with 9,697 miles on her, for sale on Ebay right now- its up to $32,200.00 and the RESERVE IS STILL NOT MET!!!) Beautiful pictures!!!
    IF ANYONE IS INTERESTED-YOU GOT 2DAYS, 2 HOURS TO BID!!!!!
    That's one sweet '58 to be sure. I'd prefer mine in another colour but this one looks straight enough. I'm guessing that mileage is since a resto job but the description is silent on that issue. Interesting that the bids would go that high without a clarification that this is numbers matching and the tri-power was original with the car.

Check out this one: '65 Bonneville CV. I'm mighty tempted as the '65 Bonnie is one of my faves. But "90% restored" 9 years and 20k miles ago means $$$ and Calif. is a long way for me to go kick tires...
    Agree with you on this one- I also like the style of the 65/66 over earlier years.
    My all time favorite classic is the 59 CADDY!!!
    LOVE THOSE FINS!!!!!!!
    Owned a black 59 around 1974/1975- wish I still had the car now.
  • tjcwcostjcwcos Posts: 1
    Can someone tell me why I should buy a Pontiac Bonneville GXP for $36,000 when it doesn't have navigation as an option or Xenon head lights? Now I see there is a $3,000 cash back incentive and the car isn't even available yet in most of the country. I love the look of it, don't get me wrong, but there are numerous cars available that are better for less money.
    I think we all agree that the GXP should have Nav available, Xenons standard and have upgraded switchgear but it does have that 4.6L Northstar, is good looking, comfortable and roomy, likely to be considerably more exclusive than many of its competitors, and a quite decent handling package.

At the end of the day, Nav systems aren't all that used by most drivers (plus the Bonnie has an available OnStar service that will provide directions) and Xenons are nice-to-haves but the Bonnie's headlights are quite good. It's going to come down to where your priorities are - and, for some, a sporty, refined-looking V8-powered car is going to be attractive enough to overlook the shortcomings you mention.

I've personally decided to hold off until the '05 model - in the hope that Pontiac decides to upgrade the Bonnie's interior. After all, if I'm going to change, I want something a little different.
  • bigdaddycoatsbigdaddycoats Posts: 1,058
    If Nav and Xenons are an absolute must then look elsewhere. I can't believe that a Nav system is worth an extra $2k, just my opinion. You could probably have a Xenon system put in as an aftermarket product? Not sure if one exists for the Bonneville.
    So like Ice said, the GXP does have the 4.6 Northstar, looks very sweet and is a pretty large and comfortable car. Most of the competition does not offer a V8. Onstar can be pretty cool. Exclusivity is a consideration since only about 4000 GXP's will be produced this year and I would imagine that number will remain about the same in subsequent model years.
    Incentives could be another factor as you mentioned. I believe you there is a $3000 rebate or you could chose 0% financing for 60 months.
    In the end you should go drive all of the cars you are considering and buy what suits your needs and likes best. There are many great vehicles in this price range and each one has their own unique personality. The GXP most likely has the edge in power and exterior styling. The interior is not as nice as many others, its a trade off.
    As far as the interior being updated for 05 I very much doubt that any upgrades will be seen. The Bonneville most likely will end production by the end of 2006.
  • evandroevandro Posts: 1,108
    One word (or two?): V8.

No other car in its price range offers one.
  • jcz1jcz1 Posts: 36
    "No other car in its price range offers one."

As a current Bonnie owner, it pains me to say that this statement is about to no longer be true. The 300C offers a Hemi with 340 HP and 390 torque, at $3K less ($32,000).
    The 300C will be a major competitor to the GXP. I guess FWD vs. RWD will be a factor for some. I do like the RWD set up in the 300, but I was not overly impressed with the interior when I sat in it at the auto show. I have a feeling (and hope) the 300 sells well - maybe GM will follow (Zeta platform?) with new RWD vehicles. A Kappa based sedan to replace the Sunfire would be cool. Oh well, I hope the GXP does well anyway.
    I think Chrysler missed the boat though on the design of the front grille on the 300C- NO COMPARISON style wise compared to the GXP- that front grille has been referred to as a SCHOOL BUS FRONT GRILLE-
    UGLY!!!!- not by me, but by present owners of the 300M!
    I personally think it looks more like a boxed cheese grater- not something that I'm going to pay $32,000.00 for and not like the looks of it.

If Chrysler re-designs that front -they got a WINNER!!!- until then- (IMHO) I'll take the Bonneville regardless of more cost and less horsepower.
    To each his own as far as styling goes. I think the Bonneville looks better than the 300. Even so, I would still consider the 300. I would bet that the 300 will sell way better than the Bonneville.
    Your probably right- I don't think the Bonneville even now is doing too good on sales.

Do you have the figures as to how many units Chrysler plans to make for their 2005- 300 C
    to compare to the figures for the GXP?
  • jcz1jcz1 Posts: 36
    Someone on that message board is saying that they've already made close to 10,000 300's, getting ready for the launch/roll-out. And that's in just the first two months of production. Looks like they're expecting to sell a significant number of them.
    I think that sales for 2004 for the Bonneville are expected to be around 24000 with 4000 or so being the GXP. Don't know what projections for the 300 are but I would guess ???? 50k or more???
    The 300C will undoubtedly sell better than the GXP and, on paper, even I am attracted: RWD, stability, traction, etc. I like the exterior styling - except the front grill - but I'm not even close to liking the interior:

Sure, it's a more modern interior than the Bonneville's but I sure wish they'd added more faux brushed aluminum...

A big plus, though, for the 300 is that AWD is planned for this Fall. And, yes, telescopic steering wheel is standard and Xenons, and Nav are available - but together will set you back another $3k on top of the 300C's asking $33k. But you won't get the walnut trim you see in the above picture - that's another $400. Oh, and power adjustable pedals and side curtain airbags are also available (they are not even available on the Bonneville) - nevertheless, together, they'll set you back another grand.

Priced the way I'd want it, the 300C would set me back $37k - and there'll be absolutely no dickering at least for another year. Compare that with approx. $30k for the GXP (after rebates, haggle price and using my GM Visa points), the spread gets more interesting. Still, that extra $7k would get you a more powerful, modern, and better equipped car than the Bonneville. But it'd still have that beak:

As for exclusivity and sales numbers, it has to be remembered that, while the 300C is a neat car, the volume seller is likely to be the lowly 300 (base price: $23k). A while after its introduction, it may become difficult to convince somebody to part with $37k for a car whose stablemate competes pricewise with Grand Ams and Malibus.

Of course, there is that hemi...
  • 14871487 Posts: 2,407
    The 300 is definitely a competitor for the GXP but I like the GXP better on the outside. The 300 has RWD and much more power but I would be willing to bet that the cars will be close in acceleration. Price and styling are the GXP's main selling points vs the 300. I really do not like the exterior of this car too much, but the inside is better than the GXP. You spend your time inside the car, but people see the outside and the GXP is one nice looking full size car.
  • bunky36bunky36 Posts: 94
    Saw one today on the showroom floor at one of the local dealerships. It was pre-sold, so it stays on the floor--no test drives. It is white tintcoat with taupe interior. Exterior looks great with the new front and rear fascias, smooth bodysides, the 3-piece spoiler, dual/dual exhaust tips, and those flangeless 18" wheels, etc. On the interior, I'm not sure I like the Ultralux suede seat inserts. They look great, but I imagine they will soil and stain over time--maybe not--I have no experience with Ultralux. But the dash treatment looks pretty good with the black carbon-fiber touches, all the "chiclets" are black, and the white-faced gauges look nice. Popping the hood and looking at that Northstar V8 was a treat. One interesting bit of news from the sales manager was that the '05 Grand Prix GTP will have a 5.3L V8--still FWD.
    * This one is for my 98 SSE!!!!- Just when I thought the car would never have any recalls- (LOL)
    It seems to be for Buick and Olds vehicles also for that time span- * Note -ONLY FOR THE N/A(L36) ENGINES- NOT THE SUPERCHARGED (L67) Engines!!!!!

HERE IS THE INFO DIRECT FROM THE NHTSA SITE:

NHTSA Campaign ID Number- : 04V090000
    Recall Date Feb 16th, 2004
    Component: Fuel System, Gasoline Delivery
    Build Dates: March 1,1997 to August 31, 1998
    Potential # of Units Affected: 433632

SUMMARY:
    On certain passenger vehicles equipped with 3800 V6 (L36) Engines and certain delphi fuel pressure regulators, the regulators have a much higher than usual rate of fuel leaks. A leak can allow fuel to enter the intake manifold through a vacuum line. If the engine does not start when cranked, the fuel from the leaking regulator and a mistimed spark can cause a backfire.

CONSEQUENCE:
    The backfire can rupture the intake manifold. The rupture of the intake manifold can displace a fuel line, pulling an injector out of place, and causing a fuel leak and possible fire.

REMEDY:
    DEALERS WILL INSTALL NEW FUEL PRESSURE REGULATORS WITH IMPROVED DIAPHRAGMS.
    Owner notification is expected to begin during the second quarter of 2004. Owners should contact Buick at 1-866-608-8080, Oldsmobile at 1-800-630-6537 or PONTIAC AT 1-800-620-7668

NOTES:
    GM RECALL NO 03054B. Customers can also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Admin Auto Safety hotline at 1-888-dash-dot (1-888-327-4236)