Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pontiac Bonneville

Comments

• bigdaddycoatsbigdaddycoats Posts: 1,058
    Just for fun I calculated some numbers. Probably not realistic, but interesting anyway.

Based on 15000 miles per year.

at 20 miles per gallon a car will use 750 gallons.

at 29 miles per gallon a car will use 517 gallons.

so in this case the 20 mile per gallon car will use 233 more gallons per year than the 29 gallon car.

at the current price around me of $2.15 per gallon this would result in an additional $500 spent on gas. Which is about $1.37 per day.

If you truly enjoy your ride $1.37 per day is not all that much. Gas prices have certainly gone way up as of late but are still not as high as they were in the 80's when adjusted for inflation. Congrats to all of those enjoying their new GXP's.
  • bryanbryan Posts: 217
    Picked up the new GXP on Saturday. It's not the car I originally ordered (per dealer I ordered from, Pontiac closed the line down to ramp up for the '05s). Ended up with Greystone metallic over Pewter leather, all options except CD changer and engine block heater. Best options are the XM Satellite radio and the HeadsUp Eye display. Don't know if I'll ever have another new car without them. Bought the car from multi-GM dealer at the DE shore that I enjoy dealing with but had no GXP when I started looking. Got the negative word on the factory order on previous Thursday, bought the car following Saturday (made deposit), the car was delivered following Monday from the factory to the dealer where is was stored inside, and picked up the car this past Saturday (had to go to work in VA between these times--need to pay for it!)

Don't know why, but after 3-hour trip on Sunday afternoon from DE shore, I really believe it was meant for me to have this particular car. So far, 170 miles, and I am enjoying it more each time I get behind the wheel. It's simply beautiful. Gave a co-worker a ride home today, and he was extremely generous with his compliments. He drives a Mercedes and was really taken with the GXP's looks, and was really won over when I started it up--he kept talking about the "throaty exhaust".

Glad my ordering "problem" worked out the way it did--I saved $8K off sticker and used coupon from GM for first two payments on GM. Another $1K off! I appreciate this site and am glad I now own a GXP. I'll be checking back time-to-time, especially interested in mileage as most (3/4) of mine will be highway (back and forth from VA to DE).
  • bunky36bunky36 Posts: 94
    Since 90% of my driving is in the city, I ran the numbers comparing the 17 mpg of the GXP and the 21 I used to get in the SSEi. Turns out I'll be paying just a hair under $1.00 a day more to drive the GXP. I can handle that.

Since Pontiac has shut down the line on the '04's, I wonder how many GXP's were produced. A long time ago I read somewhere that Pontiac wanted to crank out about 4,000 of them. I imagine production numnbers are available somewhere. Anybody know?

Anybody have an opinion on that 3M film that I've seen some guys put on the front of their cars to protect against rock chips? I was fussing to a friend about a bad experience I had with a bra on a previous car, so he brought his '02 Corvette by to show me the film. I told him it looked good, but I was really not impressed. Maybe the installer wasn't very good, but it didn't fit very well around the parking lights--I saw several air bubbles there, it was loose in spots--mostly where it had to make tight turns/curves, and on the lower parts of the car it was installed in pieces--I saw too many lines where the pieces butted up against each other to suit me. And he said that the installer trimmed around the grill and parking lights using a razor blade. I imagine if he pulls the film off someday he will see razor lines where the cuts were made. I figure I'll just keep the car heavily Zaino'd and work on the rock chips with my Langka kit.
  • rayainswrayainsw Posts: 2,476
    “$1.00 a day more to drive the GXP”

I have heard people express the opinion that (for them) $30 a month or so is significant when referring to a monthly car payment. To each their own.

It seems to me, though, that the more difficult issue here is inability to achieve (let alone exceed) the EPA highway rating in extended 70 +/- mph cruising. In such driving, with my current vehicle, I can typically exceed the EPA rating by 2 or more mpg. A tank that included a recent day trip from Atlanta to Greenville, SC and back (approx. 250 miles) showed almost 3.5 over EPA. (My trip computer has proven to be quite accurate and consistent when compared to Excel calculation of actuals.) Of course, that was before I ran another 60 miles or so in Atlanta Metro area traffic conditions . . .

If I could not even achieve EPA on such a trip (one cold start, 250 miles at steady speeds with light traffic) I would be taking the car to my dealer.

Just my opinion. YMMV. (A lot, apparently!)

Cheers,
    - Ray
    Glad y’all are enjoying other aspects of the GXP . . .
  • fgeorge2fgeorge2 Posts: 15
    Bunky - Check out www.stoneguard.com. They have a precision cut kit for the GXP - pricey though at $500.00. Use the product search engine and drill down to Pontiac. You'll find the GXP in the Pontiac folder.
  • evandroevandro Posts: 1,108
    The SSEi had the 2.90 axle ratio (plenty of torque down below), the SSE had the 3.05.
    In an earlier post, it was pointed out that the EPA mileage tests are performed under controlled laboratory conditions and are designed to allow consumers to compare one car with another, not to predict what the average driver will actually experience. The highway test is a 10-mile run averaging 48 mph with a max of 60, engine warmed up, little idling time, no stops, etc. Go to the EPA website for a full description of the tests and a lot of other information: http://www.fueleconomy.gov.

I imagine I could get 24 highway if I just ran at 50 mph, too. That said, I also agree with what others have said -- that I have always been able to get close to the posted EPA highway mileage for whatever car I was driving (maybe +/- 2 mpg or so), so it's still a mystery to me why I can't get closer to 24 on the GXP. I know they test using pre-production prototypes, and maybe the GXP they tested was somehow configured differently that the production GXP, but probably not.

In any event, I'm off to Nebraska in a few minutes, so I'll report back on Tuesday.
  • cglassercglasser Posts: 3
    I did indeed check the gas mileage the old fashioned way just to be sure, and it seems that the mileage computer in the car is right on the money. So, I've decided that I simply won't leave the DIC on the gas mileage reading anymore - out of sight, out of mind. :-)

All in all, I'm still happy I got my GXP. My brother drove it for the first time yesterday and he seemed to get quite a kick out of the sound that V8 made as it roared up to 6500 RPM. Makes it all worth it. :-)
  • intense01intense01 Posts: 107
    Just picked it up - a 2004 Graystone GXP

M.S.R.P. was $37,420. With a $2,920 discount, $5,000 rebate and $1,609 GM card credit, my out the door price was only $27,891.

GREAT car too!

Now, we've gotta find a way to add some horsepower. Here's a thread I just started over at www.bonnevilleclub.com:

http://www.bonnevilleclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=19415

Anyone else have some good ideas?

Scott

2000 SSEi - 11.459 @ 117.48 MPH (1.652 60')
    2004 GXP - all stock (for now)
    Scott: Congrats on the GXP purchase! Fantastic price. I bought mine too soon--only got a $3k rebate plus the other stuff. Oh well. that's life.

Just got back from my trip to Nebraska. Picked a bad weekend to be traveling in this area --tornadoes and hail everywhere. All the tornadoes missed me but I managed to get hit with some light hail. Luckily, it was pretty light so no damage. Mileage was 23.8 going up and 20.8 coming back at 70-75 both ways. Had a tail wind going up and a head wind coming back. So that was a 22.3 average up and back. Better than the 20.0 I got going to Kansas City and back a week ago. The GXP has 2800 miles on it now. Maybe the increased total miles was a factor in the better mileage? Whatever. I'm happy. Maybe I can squeeze another 1 or 2 mpg out with a K&N filter and Mobil One. We'll see. I have another trip in August to Colorado across the Rockies and back.

I also rode in the back seat for awhile. It's very comfortable back there, but the best part of that ride was that I could hear the exhaust note even better. What a great sound!

I think I'll pass on the 3M film for the front. It is very pricey, doesn't reflect light very well for one thing, and my plan to keep the front end heavily Zaino'd worked well. The bugs all just easily washed off -- no bug/tar remover necessary, and no chips.
    Bunky - My car is the identical color as yours. Are you using Z-2 & Z-5 both? What about the ZFX additive? Is this really required?
    Thanks
    ZFX is not required, but I find it to be very useful. They only introduced it in the last couple of years. It replaces Z-1 entirely, and ZFX accelerates the polish curing process so that I can apply 2-3 coats of polish in just a few hours, whereas before it would take me all weekend to apply 3 coats using Z-1 and Z-2. One mistake people new to Zaino products make (me, too, when I first started using it) is they buff off the Z-2 before it is really dry. The only way to get the multiple coat buildup desired is to wait until each coat of Z-2 (or Z-5) is completely dry. The drying is the curing process when the polymer chains do what is called cross-linking. Wipe it off too soon, and the cross-linking is interrupted, and the coat build up doesn't happen. ZFX speeds up the curing/drying process a bunch. I also use Z-6 (very lightly) between each coat of polish I apply. I have some Z-5 and I have rarely used it, but it works as advertised on fine scratches. I also have some Z-7 car wash, but I only use that when the car gets really dirty. The rest of the time I only use water. The Zaino website says you should only use 100% cotton towels for polishing, and I used to do that, but don't anymore. I use microfiber detailing cloths and towels both for drying the car after washing (I stopped using a chamois years ago), and for polishing and buffing. They do a fantastic job especially on a dark car where you don't want to leave any water spots or streaks. The cotton towels picked up too much polish and other stuff to suit me.
  • motgmotg Posts: 6
    I have a couple of questions for GXP owners:

1) Does anyone have a thought about why there is no clip for hanging the gas cap tether to keep it from hitting against the body? None of the other GXPs or regular Bonnevilles that I checked had a clip or hook or whatever despite the indication in the owner's manual that one is there.

2) Has anyone figured out how to reconfigure the power door lock/unlock programming so that the doors do not unlock until the key is turned off? I'm not always ready for the doors to unlock when I put the vehicle in park. I've tried the procedure listed in the owner's manual many times without success.
  • evandroevandro Posts: 1,108
    I sure hope that the gas cap tether hasn't been dropped. My '02 SLE has it and I love it!
    Oh, the tether is still there, there's just no place to loop it over to keep the cap away from the car while refueling.
  • fantascpfantascp Posts: 175
    I have a 98 SSE- I had to reset mine a few times when I had to disconnect the battery and re connect later etc-
    Mine is presently set that all doors remain LOCKED after the key is turned off. You must open each door manually or hit the power lock button to open the car doors after the ignition is turned off.

Two questions for you-

1.- If you do not have the DRIVER INFO CENTER
    are you holding down the driver side power door lock as you go thru the different modes? I made this mistake on my car and was getting mad as hell as everytime i turned the key off all the doors opened automatically until I re-read the instructions and realized I had to keep the door lock depressed and go through the modes on the key fob at the same time.(Pg2-7)

2. If you do have the DRIVER INFO CENTER- you must program the auto locks etc through the DIC
    -refer to pg 3-64 of your new owners manual for the proper programing.

I hope this helps- Good luck.

congrats and all the best - ALL YOU NEW GXP OWNERS!!!!
  • montanafanmontanafan Posts: 945
    Believe the answer is to stop by the dealer and have them update the control software to correct the error in the door lock system.
    I was wondering about this too. If I remember, the back side of the fuel door is embossed with "Strap Hanger", but there is just an open slot there. I'm looping the tether over the pump nozzle to prevent the cap from touching the body paint. GM should provide a fix for this oversight in my opinion as the owners manual clearly displays a clip there.
    Took the GXP to the dealer today. The technician spent an hour with a Tech II and was unable to program the door locks as advertised. Setting the locks for Mode 4 or Mode 5 produced results identical to Mode 2 and Mode 3, respectively. Mode 4 and Mode 5 are supposedly only available if the car has a DIC and all GXPs have DICs. The technician is going to call in the problem. The technician could not find any TSBs for this situation. Did find that a personalized start up message or greeting can be programmed in with the Tech II. My car now greets me by name in the DIC.
  • montanafanmontanafan Posts: 945
    It dosen't surprise me that the tech was unable to "program" the system, you were unable to "program" it also. As my source told me, there is an error in the programing. It needs to be updated by changing something. My friend bought his GXP around the end of April/ beging of May sometime, and the dealer was aware of the issue and took care of it before delivery. Tell you dealer to look for some sort of hot sheet message around that time for infomation.