Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pontiac Bonneville

Comments

• Hi, was the car you rented an SE, GT, or GTP? did you like the dual zone manual temperature controls? (whew! That was a mouthful) How was the interior sound? Quietness that is.
  • mlm4mlm4 Posts: 401
    Interesting press release about a nearly stock 2000 Bonneville SSEi that reached 195 mph at Bonneville Salt Flats. Unique paint job too. http://media.gm.com/pontiac/index.html

I've had my 2000 Midnight Blue SSEi since March and love it. No real problems yet other than slight door panel squeaks that don't seem to happen in the Florida summer heat, but will probably be worse when (if it ever) gets cold. Also noticed that the side mirrors don't always return to the programmed position when unlocking with the remote of Driver 1, but will when the door switch is pressed. Still a blast to drive, although I think there is too much torque steer off the line. Can't get enough of that great Bose sound system.
  • Hey rich folks who drive Bonnevilles...My li'l ol' '99 Sable GS has no rear anti-roll bar. The LS comes with one, but thanks to brilliant Ford engineers, it won't fit the GS! Since I'd been unable to locate an aftermarket unit, the thought of "movin' on up" to a used '00 Bonneville pointed me toward this pew of the Edmund's church. Man! My first run-through of posts and BLAM! Saner Performance Fabrication! Thanks, guys. I'll ask if they can do anything for me. If not, I'll be back to peruse the rest of your posts re: '00 Bonnevilles! What the heck...I'll be back even if I do keep mine. I can live vicariously through reading your experiences. Thanks snickle for the post I saw containing Saner's URL. Later, gang.
  • Where did you guys get the sway bars? I would love to do that on my Bonneville. About how much should I expect to pay? Is it a problem that I only have an SE. I know I have a front sway bar but I'm not sure of the rear. I'm only seventeen so I couldn't afford the SSEi but I can still dream.
  • snicklesnickle Posts: 147
    www.sanerperfab.com or email sanerperffab@cs.com.

Sway bars for a SE should not be a problem. Still a G body. Just don't go with a 1" as with you smaller front, you would get oversteer. Unless you swap both.

You do not have a rear. Your front is 20 mill I think.
  • smfransmfran Posts: 432
    The Grand Prix I rented was a base SE. I did not pay too much attention to the two zone temp controls because I have them in my SSEI. The car was quiet and I enjoyed driving it.
    Shoot me I am an idiot. Got the old bar off, without too much problem. The biggest problem was spreading the clamps.

The new one took some work to get in place, would be alot easier with a lift.

Got the 1st clamp on no problem, left it loose.

Manage to cross thread the clamp bolt on the other one and mess up the bolt and the socket. Tried to switch the bolts between side an force. Dumb, Dumb, Dumb!!!!!!

No both bolts and both sockets are messed up. And I do no have a tap and die set the right size. I will call the dealer tomorrow to see if the have the bolts and then try to track down a tap.
    Thanks for the link to the press release.

My 2000 SSEI is also Midnight Blue (with dual thin gray pinstripes). I also have the door panel squeaks and the same occasional non return of the driver's mirror. You are right that it will return with a touch of the switch on the door. It is a blast to drive but does have torque steer off the line (lots of power for stock front wheel drive). I agree, The Bose sound system is awesome!
  • ezraponezrapon Posts: 348
    I had an after market system in my previous car. Sony head, rockford fosgate amps and speakers, sounded outstanding! I was rather disappointed with the bose sound. The only highs are from the small upper door panel tweeters. The 6x9's in the back are woofers only no tweeters. I feel a little high end reflected off the rear window would be nice. I wanted to put my old stuff back in but nothing was compatible. The bose is a weird 1 ohm system. You can not even add a cd changer. I added the 6x9's sub woofers and amps thus making it a 8 ohm system the only draw back was 500 watts of door and key chimes and a lot of hiss. went back to the old bose... left the subs in, they round it out a bit on the low end, but I miss the highs and the cd changer. Compass laid an egg, passenger door panel rattles most of the time and the power window lights stay on sometimes... go figure. It is black and beautiful.
    "Compass laid an egg"?
    Since I was so disappointed in the Bose system (no upper door panel tweeters) in my '97 SSE, my standards were low. Compared to that system, this one is fantastic.
    Early results - Two tanks of gas.

Approx 10% improvement in case mileage.

Autotap readings are suggest improvement in KR, but hard to tell for sure without back to back testing.

I'll keep the unit for a while and let you know.
    I have been driving around for a day and a half with no rear sway bar. The car handles lousy (actually I have driven worse, but).

Hopefully I can get the new bar on this afternoon.

I got new bolts, and a tap.
    Got the 1" sway bar on. The car handles great. Should hove done this sooner. LIke right after I found the guy who makes them. I am looking forward to the long road trip tomorrow.

When I get back I will put on the new front end-links.

Doug - You need to replace your rear sway bar. You will love it.
    I really think you should replace your air filter with a drop-in K&N (No lease issues).

And...

Got to a 3.5 pulley. They will never know. If you are really conserned, swap it back before you return it.

You would love the increased performance.
  • Snickle - I can't believe whatever that gizmo is really helped your gas mileage by 10%, and seems to have helped your K.R. too.

Why don't you do a couple 'logged' runs with the Autotap, and see if you can do better than the previous numbers you submitted for horsepower and torque. I think that will be a truer test...
  • Just received an e-mail from Saner saying they'd look into making a rear stabilizer for my '99 Sable GS. Their reply came within several days of my request, and they'll have an answer next week. Gawd! Where have these people been all my life? Someone who gives good service. In the year 2000. Amazing. Thanks again for the posts pointing me Saner's way.
  • Snickle , what advice on install can you tell us to avoid the problems you had . Also , the price foe sway bar and bushings .Who did you talk to at Sanar .
    CD player in my 93 SLE finally died . Called the used parts places and they didn't have a CD deck . Called United Radio and they would replace it with rebuilt unit for $195 ,one year war. and 48 hour turn around . Went to take it out and the thought hit me to disconnect the battery to reset codes. Sure enough that fixed , at least so far . Always try the easist thing first . Trouble with CD deck started after I had to jump start car , and got worse as time went on .I wish I had tryed this earlier
    The rear bar with bushings and endlinks as well as the fron end links was about 250 including shipping. I am on vacation so don't know the exact price.

As far as tips go: Intense's were pretty good. Mods I would make are as follows:

Put the rear up on jack stands.

Pull the current bar.

Put a jack under the driver side rear wheel and compress the suspension. Insert the new bar.

Attach the frame clamps Finger start the bolts.

Attach the endlinks, but don't tighten.

Lower the car anbd tighten the endlinks
    LIke I said that was intial review only. I will be running some detailed test when I get back from vacation.

A little more detail water injection would definetly help KR. Well proven technology.

Platinum vapor is definately a little questionable, but the basic chemistry/physics is sound. A catalytic convertor is basically a platinum coated muffler. Platinum does affect cumbustion. The big drawback to this system (assuming it does anything) is it relys on vacum from the TB to draw the vapor. Not a real consistent volume.

It seems to me that when I drive gently my mpg does increase beyond normal for the change, lots of throttle does not show the same improvement, but power seems better.

I will try to get real number, but it is not an easy change to test before and after, without showing lingering effects.
  • We have a 2000 SSEi and love the handling, performance and all the comfort features. BUT, if a "quiet ride" is really important to you, GM has gotten off the boat with its year 2000 full size upper end sedans. The road/tire/air noise due to lack of insulation and the uni-body design is really bad at speeds of over 50 mph. It's a steady low "whooshing" sound that gets under your skin after a couple of house.

We've had the GM rep look at--no response. We've had 2 files with General Motors and they finally agreed it's "a common design matter." Tried driving the Aurora, LeSabre and 2 other Bonnie's. All have the same noise.

We're leasing this car for 3 years. Hope they fix the noise problems by 2002.

Other high-end sedan owners who value their quiet GM ride need to speak up so that GM has to listen!

Good luck
    I took the Bonnie on vacation last week 500 miles each way. The new sway bar was fantastic, no noticeable effect on ride comfort, but handles great. I need to still swap the front endlinks and frame bushings.
    I talked to Flowmaster for a while today. Their recommendation is to swap the stock mufflers with 50 series Deltaflows part # 942451. They do not recommend removing the resonator or changing pipe sizing. They say any of those changes will probably make the car extremely odd sounding and probably loud. I will see what the mufflers cost and go from there.
  • I saw in post # 27 that someone mentioned a noise in the steering column. I have a '99 SE that I've had for three months. Got a steal with about 18000 miles. Absolutely love it! But I, too, notice an annoying rattle in the steering column. It seems to go away when the tilt is set at the highest and lowest settings but any setting in between and the thing rattles -- usually at highway speed and if the road is the least bit rough. Anyone else noticed this or pursued a remedy?
  • I see a lot of discussion about adding a sway bar and am curious what "exactly" does the sway bar do for the car and the ride. I love the comfort of my SE ride but it is just a tad soft when pushed in corners. I would hate to sacrifice that long ride comfort though. Not looking for a race car ride but there sure seems to be a lot of interest in this add-on.
    Not a sily question at all. The SE has a 17 mil (I think) sway bar on the front and none on the rear, the SLE adds a rear one, the SSEi has a 30 mil on the front and a 17 mil on rear stock.

Unless you go to extremes, a sway bar does not significantly effect ride comfort. Addco for years has promoted soft springs and stiff sway bars as a good compromise.

Intense01 and I have both upgrade our stock rear sway bars from 17 mill hollow to 1 inch solid. My wife did not notice a change in ride comfort at all. We just finished a 500 mile each way trip.

As far the function goes, www.addco.com has a good description, but basically it resists the paired wheels from having different compression of the suspension. If you turn sharply right, the car tends to lean left compressing the left suspension and expanding the right. The sway bar will resist this twist and try to keep the car level.

This also makes the car understeer a lot less.

Adding a sway bar to the SE should be easy. All the mount points should be their. You would need a bar, the frame clamps and bushings, as well as the endlinks. Saner could help you out, or maybe 1 or 2 of us have some stock bars to sell :-). I do not have a good feel for what size rear would be good for an SE, but would expect the stock SSEi bar to be about right. You can get frame clamps at the dealer, as well as endlinks and bushings. Bushings and endlinks we probably have, but I would go ahead and get new.

Hope that rambling helps.
  • tpkentpken Posts: 1,108
    Thanks for that info - too bad about the 'wooshing' noise that compromises the ride quality of these big GM cruisers. Hope they figure it out soon. I will look for that when I take a test drive in either car. Quietness is important to me.

BTW - any noticeable difference in the seating position on the Bonne vs LeSabre? I have heard that the Bonne seats pull your posterior down lower than the LeSabre - sport seating or some such thing. Although I am 6'0 tall, I enjoy setting my seat up as high as I can go for most commanding view. Very happy in that respect with Grand Marquis seating - I wonder about Bonne.

Turnpike Ken
  • Wow, thanks snickle for the explanation. That makes perfect sense and sounds like something I should be looking into. I'll think on that idea of taking a slightly used bar off your hands.
  • First come the wheels and tires. Next is a small pulley, then a smaller pulley. Then a sway bar, thermostat, intake, Autotap, etc.

It just goes on and on, and it's quite addictive.

See what we started...
    Have you been following the FPR discussion on the grand prix group? I am interested to see how that shakes out.
This discussion has been closed.