Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pontiac Bonneville

Comments

• "General Motors will decide in the next three months whether to drop the Pontiac Bonneville at the end of the 2005 model year.

The Bonneville decision is driven by the expansion of the Pontiac model line and the introduction of the 2006 Buick Lucerne, the replacement for the Buick LeSabre. Under GM's retail channel strategy, the automaker is pushing combined Buick-Pontiac-GMC dealerships to reduce product overlap.

But as you know, that large segment has continued to slide," Bunnell said. "We have a very strong LeSabre and a new Lucerne coming, so the question is, is this the best use of our resources?

"Frankly, from a dealer standpoint, does it make sense for the dealers to stock and floorplan both a Bonneville and a Lucerne, given products like the Pontiac Torrent, G6 coupe and Solstice" will be going into production in the next six months? Of GM's combined Pontiac-GMC-Buick dealers, 48 percent have all three franchises, according to a GM spokesman.

Additionally, the Bonneville and Grand Prix sedans overlap in terms of content and size.

Bunnell said the Bonneville will be assembled through June, but "beyond that we are not sure yet."

It will be interesting to see what happens. If GM is making any profit on Bonneville sales, production should continue into the 06 model year. Sometime during the 06 sales year when the Bonneville is no longer cost effective and profitable then it should be laid to rest. It is to bad that a new rwd vehicle is still some time away.
  • Bonneville sales were up 20% in 2004 to 30,000 cars even though it's on an aging platform, thanks mostly to the GXP model. Since development costs must have been recovered long ago why not continue the Bonneville into 2006 as long as sales remain stable? Offer the GXP at a much lower price and sales would likely increase possibly buying enough time for a RWD replacement.
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    Could you post a link to that quote?
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
  • cccompsoncccompson Posts: 2,388
    Hard to see how the large segment is sliding given the success of the Chrysler 300.

Although I've seen others lump the Grand Prix and the Bonneville together, it simply isn't true - the Bonneville is a more substantial vehicle.

I have an '03 SSEi and will grant that Pontiac could have done a better job with it. That said, it is still a fine automobile and, at the price I paid ($25,702 new on a $35,610 sticker), was a bargain.

Killing the Bonneville will just be one more in GM's never-ending series of mistakes.
  • mlm4mlm4 Posts: 401
    I don't know if killing the Bonneville would be a mistake per-se. As noted, the large-lux market seems to be small enough that it could be well covered by Buick Lucerne and Cadillac STS. As much as I'd like to see a new (RWD) Bonneville, I agree that there is probably too much overlap across GM brands. What does GM gain by continuing the Bonneville if nearly half of the Pontiac dealerships offer an equivalent alternative? What would GM need to do to make the Bonneville more attractive to buyers?
  • cccompsoncccompson Posts: 2,388
    The flip side is that means half of the Pontiac stores don't have a full-size model for their customers.

I don't agree that the full size market is all that small either. The 300 and Ford's products (and Toyota's Avalon) all seem to be doing fairly well).

Pontiac needs to make the Bonneville attractive to mainstream buyers by offering value and up to date styling IMHO.
  • gmhellmangmhellman Posts: 121
    The reason that I purchased a Bonneville was that it is a large family sedan that has been sporty long before large american sedans were sporty. I have a 99 sle black with leather and for being the same size as my mothers olds it is definitly sportier and more fun to drive. She even comments on how she likes the car more than her olds. I hope that GM deciedes to keep the bonny but make it a sport sedan...offer a v8 with a 6 speed...compete directly with the dodge charger. Dodge is taking heat from the nostalgics, but I think in the long run it will be a well if not good selling sedan. Plus if GM offers a good 6 speed manual/v8 combo, that dodge doesn't offer with the charger, will attract the enthusiasts. GM has a chance to truly make and exciting Pontiac...I hope that they don't screw it up.
  • hammen2hammen2 Posts: 1,313
    The Bonneville as it is currently known will die either after the 2005 or 2006 model years. It will be replaced for MY 2007/2008 by a new Zeta-based RWD car most likely called G8 (but possibly still Grand Prix or Bonneville), with V6 and V8 (LS4 - no more NorthStar) options.

Holden is doing the engineering on the new Zeta chassis (will be RWD with an AWD option, unlike their previous Opel-based chassis) Look at the current Commodore:

http://www.holden.com.au/www-holden/action/vehicleentry?vehicleid- - =4

The Bonneville replacement will be packaged similarly, but not have the same styling, and will ride on the new chassis.

The next-gen GTO will ride on Zeta as a coupe; the G8 will be the sedan variant. I believe the next-gen GTO is due as a 2007 model; don't know if the new sedan will be ready by then, or will be a 2008 MY car.

This is what I've heard on "another board"...
  • mfrankmfrank Posts: 1
    BONN WITH SLE PKG MOON ROOF LEATHER ETC LOADED PROBLEM CAR HAS RACK AND PINION PROBLEM PROBLEM STARTED WITH COMPUTER ON DASH READING TRACTION AND ABS OFF BUT BY TURNING OFF ENGINE AND RESHIFTING PROBLEM DISAPPEARS NO PROBLEM USUALLY TILL NEXT DAY

TOOK CAR INTO LOCAL MECHANIC AND IN ADDITION TO PONTIAC DEALER THIER COMPUTER READS OUT CODE 45 COS TO FIX 1500 DLRS PLUS PROBLEM WITH STEERING I HAVE FIXED PAST TWO YEARS REBUILT TRANSMISSION CRANKCASE ASSEMBLY NEW MICHELIN TIRES NEW WIRES NEWPLUGS NEW OXGEN SENSORS NEW GENERATOR ETC COST OVER 3000 DLRS CAR IS IN PRISTINE CLEAN SHAPE RIDES GREAT CAR HAS 66000 MILES VERY UPSET WHAT TO DO WITH THIS CAR

RETAIL CAR WORHT ABOUT 7500 DLRS

BEAUTIFUL SILVER BLUE METTALIC

VERY UPSET WHAT TO DO ANY IDEAS
  • The Bonneville is scheduled to end 2005 production on June 6th. No 2006 model planned.
  • chapschaps Posts: 9
    Ray

I dropped the Bonneville off at the local dealer today as GM had to buy it back. It is really too bad as the GXP is really a nice driving car and up to the point the bone heads at GM refused to meet with me I would have gladly taken another. At the hearing the GM rep said the car wasn't that bad and maybe a couple of panels needed to be lightly scuffed and a little color sprayed on. Then he says whats the big deal the car is safe isn't it. I purchased an 05 Acura TL with nav and the a-spec body kit. Hopefully if anything goes wrong somebody will give me some respect as a customer. Good luck with your rides and remember it wasn't the car, it was the people who failed to support it. nberliboid.
  • Only 734 sold in Jan.

Last year 2803.

That is the worst sales month for the Bonneville for at least the last six years.

I wonder what happened?? Maybe the incentives are too low?
  • hammen2hammen2 Posts: 1,313
    chaps, just wondering, did you go to BBB arbitration or hire a lawyer? When it was decided to buy it back, how long did it take to get the paperwork processed? I ask only because I had to get my GTO exchanged due to recurring issues (plus the new ones the dealer kept causing in an attempt to repair the car). I threatened BBB (bought via GM employee pricing, so no lemon law for me), but, after lobbying the dealer's sales manager and service manager, the local Pontiac rep, and some higher-up connections I made, they came to the decision to replace my car.

Overall, in 4 1/2 months of ownership, I drove the car for only 47 days. It had spent over 35 days in the shop, and then it took GM 54 days to process the repurchase/exchange paperwork (dealer had the replacement car 3 days after the decision to exchange). And, the GM exchange/buyback people were some of the most arrogant and useless to deal with (never called when they said they would, dates kept slipping due to no fault of mine (always returned their calls/got them the info they needed ASAP)). No one was apologetic - the prevailing attitude seems to be that they were doing me a favor. When in fact it's me doing them a favor by still being a customer, after this experience.

Quite frankly, the entire repurchase experience was completely distasteful and it has me questioning if I'll ever buy another GM car (and that's all I/my wife have driven for most of our lives). Don't see how GM can afford to take this attitude, given the war they're in to maintain/expand market share, rather than keep losing it...

--Robert
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Crossroads of America: I70 & I75Posts: 17,702
    The arrogance of the exchange/buyback people reminds me of my service manager's explanation (not excusing) for the arrogance in customer service re intake manifold leaks and EGR tube deterioration on my 98 3800 LeSabre. The lower management people are placed in customer service for a matter of months until they can be placed in a real job. So they DON'T CARE; they're leaving soon.

I had called in September and the next March there were no records of my phone calls and what had been discussed. Calls showed, but blank info. The people hadn't recorded the data.

Then the person who did contemptuously try to do something for reimbursement came up with no money but an $800 voucher good for the year on a new Buick. I had to accept or decline within the next 2 days.

If they had offered that the September before, I would have accepted, used it and felt great about their lack of product quality in a long-standing engine design. But I had just bought a new car months before they offered this. Why would I want another new car within a year and a voucher I probably wouldn't get to use.

My next GM will probably be a used one. I won't be paying for the hundreds of union workers who report to jobs in a room because they have no production job. Yesterday's newspaper had story about the workers GM has to pay for nothing. It's becoming a big cost for GM any time they close a plant or downsize production.

They could have cut those and many of the management people, starting with customer no-service.

OR maybe they could have those workers do customer service handling. They probably would be more sympathetic to real customer's problems and want to fix the problem not brush them off.

This message has been approved.

• chapschaps Posts: 9
    I signed and faxed to the BBB the acceptance Monday at about 10 am. About 2 hours later GM was on the phone making arrangements to take the car the following Monday, so 1 week for everything. In reading some of the above it seems GM thinks they can out write their losses by advertising and rebates. I had never purchased an import new before because I was a GM guy. I am not saying the same thing might not happen with Acura, but I do know now how GM will respond and I work to hard to send that kind of money to be treated by GM like that.

It is really too bad as the GXP is a nice car. GM doesn't seem to mind losing a customer like me, as you said they seem to think they were doing me some kind of favor. GM's market will continue to slide because of this type of treatment to it's longtime customers. When it is time to replace my 03 Z-71 suburban I will be looking at Toyota and Nissan. GM doesn't seem to realize I'm not the one who loses, I am driving a new car, just not one of theirs
  • end in June. This is according to GMTV. There will not be an 06 model.
  • gunitgunit Posts: 469
    It is a shame of the Bonnevilles demise, but I can't say I'm surprised. In my opinion since 1997 there was no reason to buy the Bonneville as the Grand Prix has had the same 3800 drivetrain and almost the same size, and $4,000+ cheaper price tag. Bonny isn't much bigger in size, I have driven both cars. Grand Prix just misses being classified a full sized car by not much.

Bonny is 104 cu ft interior

GP is 98 or 99 cu ft interior Very close

The Grand Prix Comp GTP V6 6.5 seconds is still the same or faster then the GXP's V8. GTP is nearly $8k cheaper.

GXP MSRP $36,000

GTP MSRP $28,000

Base GT1 $23,720

Base Bonny $27,965

I would take the GTP for $8k less anyday, hands down or the base model GT1 for $4k+ cheaper anyday. Yes the Northstar V8 is more refined etc.. I had a V8 Aurora, but the V8 is NOT worth $8k more...

Rumor is that the Grand Prix GTP will be getting a V8 as an option in a year or 2 anyway..

Also fuel economy... GXP only gets 24mpg Highway, GTP gets 28 highway.. 4mpg is a big dif, and GTP is same or faster.