Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pontiac Bonneville

Comments

• ezrapon:

If Buick built a LeSabre outfitted with the Aurora goodies (NorthStar V8, 4T80E, 17-inch wheels/tires, REAL buckets with a floor shifter), I'd buy one tomorrow.

I think the Riveria fell victim to a lack of interest in big 2-door cars. Buick should have turned the Riveria into a rag-top; that probably would have kept it alive.

Who knows what GM will do. They still think that Camaro/Firebird owners are going to start buying souped up Chevy trucks. As a former Trans Am and Corvette owner, I can tell you right now that strategy won't fly.

- vtech83
  • tpkentpken Posts: 1,108
    Don't forget the name for that kick a@@ Buick - it's got to be a screaming WILDCAT!!

Ken
  • I want to thank everyone for their imput, as I was deciding between a used SSEi and a dealer demo. You will be happy to know the used SSEi won, and I am thrilled with the car. It is a blast to drive and I got a good deal. Now that I have this black beauty, I want to keep the paint in pristine condition. Should I avoid the automatic, brushless carwashes, and go for the hand washes, when it is too cold in NY do to it myself? What is a good wax, to maintain the glossy showroom look? Thanks for your help.
    Best wishes for a long and enjoyable ownership experience with your new 'Black Beauty'. There's nothing like sliding into the (leather) seat of your new ride.

Please keep us posted on your experiences.

Ken
  • Congrats on the SSEi.

As far as washing your car, I would opt for the self-service type of wash, the places where you spray on the soap and rinse it off yourself. I've been told that even brushless car washes use harsh detergents and chemicals that can damage your paint.

I've been using the Meguiars Mirrow Glaze line of products for years and have been very happy with the results. Use the #7 Show Car Glaze to bring out the shine and then a couple coats of #26 Hi-Tech Yellow Wax to protect the finish. They also make a product called #34 Final Inspection you can use for shining your car quickly after a rainstorm or after washing. Only works if you have a good coat of wax on the car in the first place. Get yourself a load of good quality terry cloth towels for polishing and waxing the black beauty.

Zaino polishes also come highly recommended, but you have to order their stuff, it's not sold at any auto parts store. Also, Zaino doesn't have any kind of wax product, so I would be a little concerned about paint protection.

Good luck.
  • hardestyhardesty Posts: 166
    Just saw the news that GM plans to cut production at Lake Orion (LeSabre, Park Avenue, Bonneville, and Aurora) by 25% by spring. Since the Aurora is currently less than 10% of production at the plant, even stopping production on it means a big cut for Buick and Pontiac. IMHO, the G-body is the best GM sedan, and a damn good car period. I hate when people screw up a sure thing because they don't know what they have, or how to let people that it exists.
  • smfransmfran Posts: 432
    The reason Buick offers both the LeSabre and the Park Avenue is obvious. The LeSabre is smaller, has less luxury options, and costs less. It clearly is in a different class and price range.
    However, I do agree with you that Buick should dump the Rondevous. A vehicle of this type does not fit in to the Buick lineup. But, I also don't think an SUV like the Bravada fits in either. I also don't think it fit in with Oldsmobile and that may be the reason it didn't sell that well.
    I'd like to see a larger, sportier "Bravada" as a Pontiac. Something less in size and cost than a Danali/Escalade.
    Ken - Thanks for reminding me about the Wildcat; basically a two door sportier Lesabre. That was quite a car!
    Also, what else can you tell me about the Buick LaCrosse and where can I see the pictures you talk about?
  • Welcome to what my Scottish friends would no doubt cringe at my calling a "Bonny world". I too recommend Meguiars products but do not share vtech's aversion to touchless car washes. Of course, my finish is dark bronzemist and will hide dulling and small scratches way better than black. But it'll never look as sharp as yours at night. Congrats again - I hope your Bonneville experience is as positive as mine!

Ya want pix of the Lacrosse Stephen? Check out http://www.speedycars.net/wallpaper/buick_lacrosse.html ... a site which promises to deliver more wallpapers of cars but no Bonnevilles as of yet :( or buick's own site at href=http://www.buick.com/home/aboutbuick/future.html. While we're on the subject, does anybody have a URL for wallpapers of the current Bonneville? I've cobbled a couple together myself but because I'm starting with low-res pix, the results are just barely acceptable - I need to get rid of the Jag S-car wallpaper (installed to please my wife - although doesn't entirely displease me, it does seem...well, traitorous).

Ya know what else? I was recently do some research on plastics and came across a Greenpeace document on PVC's which - get this! - extolled the 2000 Bonneville as being the first N. American car to use a "soft polyolefin skin" in place of PVC for "full instrument panel design." Apparently, we Bonnie owners are just a bunch of cutting edge environmentalists. Anyway, the benefits of not using PVC is the reduction or elimination of cracking, warping, fading and that window fogging from leaching over time. Hmmm...
    By checking out the LaCrosse I don't think it can be a replacement for the Park Ave. It doesn't appear to fit the same demographic. My 71 year old father drives a '98 Park Ave and is in the market for another. I don't think he would be interested in something as "racy" as a LaCrosse. Also, these concept cars take a long time to hit the market and I think the Park Ave. is going nowhere. Have there been any actual reports of the Park Ave being discontinued?
    The LaCrosse does look like something that may attract a Bonneville owner looking for a change; like ezrapon or possibly me. By the way Roger, if you are serious, have you contacted the deer hunter?
    Thanks Iceman - those are the best pics I've seen yet of the LaCrosse. Do you notice the 72 Riviera-like haunches? A boat tail would look great on that car. It looks to me like the Aurora guys would go for this if their car is axed. Not sure about present Park Ave owners though - I think they will be moving into LeSabre Ltd or Caddy if they want to stay planted in the conservative looks, assuming the Park is retired.

That Buick Blackhawk is incredible - I sure hope that car makes it into production. The retro look is hot these days. Ford's concept 49er and production 2002 T-Bird, Chevy's upcoming SSR, the PT Cruiser and Beetle - great reminders of the past with all the latest technology. The long hood on that Blackhawk and the retractable hardtop are SEXY.

What's Pontiac got on the drawing board? I haven't seen anything yet from them that looks like anything mentioned above. The Aztek is an Halloween prank. There's a Piranha making rounds at the car shows that is very futuristic and Gen X targeted. But no retro looks that I've seen yet.

Have a great day, everyone

Ken
    Stephen - we're both in the Boston area. I'm north of town heading down I-95 everyday from Maine to Topsfield. Where are you? I noticed a black SSEi in front of me this morning on Rt 62 - wasn't you was it?

Ken
  • Historically, that has been the case, but I think that Buick has closed the gap too much. I drove a Park Avenue Ultra to see what it was like and truthfully, I didn't come away impressed, not for an extra $10,000 anyway. Ultra has the SC engine and a rear parking assist. I also believe that the Ultra has power seat belt adjusters, something that I'm sure us Bonneville and LeSabre owners would love to have.

But that is pretty much it. Just about every other gadget on the Ultra is available on the LeSabre. Ultra is a bigger car, but truthfully, not that much bigger. Heck, even the Bonneville and LeSabre are only a tad larger than the GP and Regal lines.

- vtech83
  • Sorry about the mispelled name.

- vtech83
    I just wonder what the relative profit margins are for GM on the Park Ave, LeSabre, Bonneville and Aurora. That, combined with the sales volume will tell the story of whether GM is justified in offering that many slightly differentiated models. It would not surprise me if there is a significant reduction of varying models as GM moves to its new RWD 'midluxe' platform, starting in 2003, I hear. Consolidation is the name of the game these days - redundancy is too expensive. Automobile enthusiasm notwithstanding, unprofitable manufacturers don't stand a chance today.

Back to counting those beans.

Ken
  • Have you received your stage 2 yet? Somebody wasn't kidding when they said there was a long lead time. I got the composite throttle body spacer but why put that on till I get the stage 2 MAF.
  • Refiner:

No dice on the MAF yet. When I ordered they told me I was six out, now I am next. Apparently they can't get cores back quick enough. Their service sucks regardless, just like everyone said it would.

I do have to say they offer some unique items that no one else has, and they seem to be top quality. Their underdrive pulleys are first class, and the throttle body spacer is nice as well.

The following mods are scheduled for this weekend:

- GTP dipstick (still haven't solved the header clearance issue)
    - underdrive pulleys
    - AFPR
    - experimentation with various fuel pressures

Goal = 5.25 second 0 to 60 time

Next weekend (March 3rd) is a big one for the SSEi. The following mods are scheduled:

- heads (ported and polished plus oversized exhaust valves)
    - spark plug indexing
    - lower intake (ported)
    - supercharger (S-ported)
    - more fuel pressure experimentation
    - slotted front brake rotors
    - ceramic brake pads (front and rear)

Goal = 4.99 second 0 to 60 time and short 60 to 0 distance

March 10th weekend:

- 3.0" supercharger pulley
    - Stage 2 MAF
    - throttle body spacer
    - test drag radials at various pressures

Goal = 4.75 second 0 to 60 time

March 24th weekend:

- 1.7 to 1 roller rocker arms
    - buy helmet and racing fuel for next weekend

Goal = one Bad SSEi

National Trails Raceway opens April 1st. We're certainly gonna surprise a few people!!!

Scott
  • Glad you all liked the Lacrosse links. Sorry about the sloppy text editing - ever since I hit 40, my html has gone all to rat dung. I also neglected to add this link which is a MUST WATCH video of the Lacrosse at the Florida car show: http://www.theautochannel.com/content/cybercast/2001autoshows/sflias/buick_lacross.asx. The video shows the side-opening hood, the sliding trunk, suicide doors, etc. that make this an interesting package. The more I watch this, the more comfortable I get with the possible death of the Aurora.

INTENSE!!!, hey! even I'm getting excited about these planned mods - and I only understand just about 1/2 of what you're talking about.

BTW, our van's repair bills are hitting the $thousands and logic dictates that we put it out of our misery and look for something else. We're questionning the need for a minivan and there's this '99 GP GTP that's available for a song. Sorely tempted. Did I say it was black?..... I'm open to any suggestions for a reliable, fun 2nd car that doesn't do daily duty.

• zzahhzzahh Posts: 47
    It would seem to me that you should end up with the baddest Bonnie on the block Scott, however, I do wonder just how much time you can possibly shave off of your 0-60 and 1/4 mile runs. Afterall the Bonnie IS a front wheel drive car, and as such 240hp or 2,400hp, at some point h.p. is not an issue, it will make no difference, your times will be related to traction. It would appear you are going to bring a whole new meaning to the phrase "throttle steering".

My money is still on Goodyear Tire & Rubber Co. stock options.
  • mfahey1mfahey1 Posts: 419
    Go for it. Not only would it seem that traction is a potential issue but the ability of the tranmission to stand up to that kind of horsepower would be suspect. There are lots of us who also own Chrysler products who would be thrilled to get their transmissions to stand up to 150 hp, much less than 350+. Obviously GM makes a far superior transmission than Chrysler's but there must be practical limits. Also, will the transaxle transfer power to both drive wheels or will you be leaving one very impressive black stripe?
  • BONNEVILLE OWNERS: WHAT DOES "SSEi" MEAN?
  • ezraponezrapon Posts: 348
    That's the stupidest question I've ever heard. You own one, they have been around for almost 10 years and you never botherd to find out what it stands for??? Damn!!! That is stupid... come to think of it... I don't know either. What about SE SLE. super sport engine (injected)?
  • snicklesnickle Posts: 147
    I read somewhere they stand for something like:

Sport Edition
    Sport Luxury Edition
    Super Sport Edition

as for the i??? Came in early 90s i think. Find what year and what changed and maybe. First year for the Super maybe So in that case induction.
  • snicklesnickle Posts: 147
    0-60 times get tough. A limited slip tranny would work wonders. As it is Intense will need to rotate his tire after every run.

1/4 mile, can be help with horsepower.

Rule of Thumb for 1/4 mile:

traction shaves time
    HP add trap speed

So a slow launch with lots of HP after traction is established can help.

Wonder what it woould take to lock the diff in the tranny?
  • rea98drea98d Posts: 982
    1992 was the first year for the supercharger, and the SSEi designation. All supercharged 1992 Bonnevilles were SSEi's, all other 1992 Bonnevilles were either SSE, or SE. There was no SLE moniker, that's just what Pontiac calls the SSE's now.
  • Traction - thanks to everyone for pointing out that I have no traction, will have even less in the future, and if I do get some, my car will pull hard to the right.

Transaxle - OK, so it's going to break soon and in a bad way.

I realize I am probably being overly optimistic. Can't help it - that's my nature. When they told me 18" wheels wouldn't fit, that made me want them more. When they told me headers wouldn't fit, I had to get them ordered. When they said a 3.0" exhaust would slow me down, I HAD to prove them wrong. This is how I operate. I enjoy swimming upstream.

The i stands for supercharged. One of you multi-lingual folks can help me remember the German (or maybe Italian) word that is abbreviated with i.
  • Snickle confirms MY belief of what the Bonneville acronyms represent. I was talking with my local Pontiac dealer yesterday and nobody in the showroom at the time - even sell-annointed car geeks - knew what the "i" stood for. Some guessed "intercooler" and "interceptor" but quickly withdrew their suggestions.

Since the entire Bonneville line-up had been fuel injected for years before the "i" showed up, it would be strange if it stood for the Italian "injezione". Still, VW, BMW and others continue to use the "i" designation (which originally indicated fuel injection) on their sportier models long after fuel injection was available on their entire lines. So, this may yet be the explanation.
  • SO ........THERE IS NO ONE OUT THERE WITH THE TRUE MEANING OF"SSEi"
    WHAT'S UP WITH THE SMALL "i". must be some bad euro influence.
    WHEN YOU EXPERTS COME UP WITH THE CORRECT ANSWER LET US KNOW.
    YOU CAN "PHONE A FRIEND".
  • mfahey1mfahey1 Posts: 419
    I just finished reading in Motor Trend about a possible Buick GNX revival built off the Regal. 3.8L, intercooled, cold air induction, headers, Borla exhaust, 300 hp. Makes our 240 hp seem like a Civic. Hmmm, don't suppose GM would consider dropping that engine in the SSEi?
  • reading mfahey's posting, it occurs to me that the "i" might very well stand for "induction".

For those of you who have never seen the torque and hp curves for the series II engine - supercharged or otherwise - check out this link: http://media.gm.com/product/pontiac/01pontiac/bonneville/bonne.pdf. You must excuse my reaction here (after all, the Bonnie is my very 1st GM) but I am impressed by the flatness of this torque curve.