Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Pontiac Bonneville

Comments

• tpkentpken Member Posts: 1,108
    Sure wish my own would be as complaint free!

Ken
  • h101h101 Member Posts: 62
    Hi there,

We have a 2000 SSEi, got it in January 2000, has 18,000 miles. No squeaks or rattles. No trips back to the dealer 'cept for oil changes and a wheel balance. Actually just did the wheel balance because I thought it made sense at 10,000 miles, there wasn't any vibration before or after the balance. Oh... and a new rear bumper from a parking lot hit and run.

I love the power, the styling and the features (Heads-up, radio/CD/Cassette quality, stabile-trac, programmable options (how the doors lock, security system options, etc.), handling (firm suspension), and on and on.... I actually like the covered cup holders, they are outta sight, but that has been changed for 2002.

Drawback is the 24 mpg on premium gas... but then again that is not a huge expense when compared to the other costs involved with owning a car.

I use Mobile-1 oil. Our other cars are a 89 Grand Am, that has been a good machine and still serves us well, and a '98 Corvette. The Vette is a super car, but I wish it was as trouble free as the Bonnie. In it's three and a half years it has been a bit of a pain in the neck from a nit-pick point of view (brake-rotors, broken exhaust pipe (very noisey), memory seat with a mind of it's own, noisey fuel pump) but they were all fixed by GM with no fuss... of course I'm outta' warranty now, so the next nit-pick will probably make me less happy than the prior ones :)

Bottom line though... Bonnie is a fun car to drive, especially when ya want to pass on a two lane road.

Bill
  • smfransmfran Member Posts: 432
    Once the wallpaper is downloaded, how do you set it up?
  • homer2000sseihomer2000ssei Member Posts: 159
    OK - first - I have to stop staying away for so long and then try to catch up.

dan - How's your dad doing?

it was a blast in Ottawa - 21 Grand prix's, me, couple of Zed's and 3 stangs. Let me say that the convoy to the tracj was spectacular with 12 GP's in a row. We turned a lot of heads - and they really liked the Bonne.

racing wasnt great due to heat - nothing better than 14.73 at 94mph. great bunch of guys though, really know their cars. we went to topkarts in Hull after - OMG 48mph on a go-cart indoors. I wanna go back!

As for the "how's it been" - ive had mine just about the longest, Nov99 - and have 62,000KM (35-40000miles?)
    Its an SSEi - and I too was a victim of early brake/rotor/pads problems - all handled well by the dealer.
    I have a couple squeeks, nothing serious and I suspect any car with my miles would have them.
    I have mofified it mechanically and it has done a lot of "fast runs" and still is strong as ever.
    Its been up to 180KmH and smooth as silk. Still avgs 26-28mpg on the freeway at 70mph.
    No flaws in the exterior. Nothing mechanical out of the ordinary . . . loose wiper arm nut, gas cap actuator froze stuck open... replaced cd/radio main unit when soem of lights went out,...blew a couple of tweeters (stereo is always at 10)

Only problem, (and I dont mind the cupholders) is the stock tires arent up to what I would like to see (especially since I race it) but they are good allweather.
    Brakes are strong...steering and suspension very good for a big car....ive been on 8 hour straight highway cruises and been a little stiff , but im not a big adjuster of seats, i just sit and go.
    Heater really cranks out lots and fast to warm up in Canadian winter.

Ill stop now . . . .later

Dennis
  • stnelstnel Member Posts: 338
    theiceman - I don't know if you check the Grand Prix forum that much anymore but I just posted a question regarding car bras for GP's. I thought maybe you could stop by GP and advice. The sooner I can get this bra the better. I know "love bugs" sounds like a strange name for bugs if you don't live in the Gulf Coast area but they are real bugs. Hope you don't mind switching over the GP to read it. I'd really appreciate any advice. (I came by the Bonneville to get your attention incase you weren't planning on checking the GP forum for a while.)

Ken - just wanted to let you know that when I said I saw a number of Bonnevilles in the south, they're still not as commonplace as a lot of other cars in the south (Japanese cars, so forth). But I do seem to see more of them than you guys/gals up north. It could just be that you're better drivers and keep your eyes on the road (like I should be doing instead of trying to look at various cars all the time when I'm driving)! Also, it could be you have more people buying cars where I live because it doesn't snow. Never having lived in snow, I would imagine SUV's and trucks are better for that climate.
  • theicemantheiceman Member Posts: 736
    Stephen: unfortunately, the download is in zip form which means you have to unzip it. If you don't have unzip software, you're SOL - but I think I still have your e-mail address so I could e-mail you the jpg (it's only about 200 or so kb). After that, it depends on the OS you have. Once you have it filed, the easiest way to "wallpaper" it (if you have MIE as your browser) is to open the file in MIE, right click on the image and select "save as wallpaper". If you don't have MIE, send me an e-mail with what you've got and I'll walk you through it.

Dennis: Dad's great - 21 days past a 3ple bypass and he just yesterday got his licence back - 9 days ahead of schedule. He's very strong and a great guy (who, BTW, loves my Bonneville - he drives a '99 Regal LS). Thanks for asking.

Stacey: From an aesthetic point of view, I hate car bras but I see the need - in some circumstances. My question has always been: what are you preserving the front end of the car for if you're always covering it with an ugly bra? Still, if you have brittle paint that chips easily....

Bugs can be washed off (but not always easily) and, promptly removed, they rarely damage a paint job. If you have a finite "bug season", I would suggest a preventative layering of good quality wax - it makes bug removal MUCH easier.
    Let me just echo my compadres' comments here - the Bonneville is an amazing vehicle. Mine had one problem (ignition tumbler module, replaced at delivery) and another has recently surfaced (a fuel gauge gone awry - that too will soon be remedied under warranty). Plus the inside front door panels squeak a little on rough roads. Other than that, I could cut and paste Dennis' remarks into my response - it is comfortable, spacious and responsive. This is a car which inspires confidence. If safety is a priority, check out the IIHS site or the NHTSA site and you'll be delighted to see that the Bonneville is a star performer there too.

I'm averaging 24.1 mpg since day 1 (11,000+ miles since December '00) in mostly urban/suburban driving.

Sorry I missed this past weekend. Sounds like you guys had a great time. Keep me posted - maybe when things settle down up here, I'll plug myself into that crowd (after all, we're a 2 Pontiac household and one IS a GP!).

Aren't those go-carts a blast?
    You guys HAVE to check out this link: award-winning Bonneville dashboard.
    I just found this link which I believe is intended for dealership service departments: GM Techlink. Check out the part entitled "On some 2000-01 Pontiac Bonnevilles and Buick LeSabres, there may be a large variation side to side in duct temperatures."

And here's a link on magnasteer: GM Techlink: Magnasteer.

Anyway, I think these are great links - I hope GM keeps them up and open to the public.

Hope you don't mind me jumping over to the Bonneville board to ask you a GP question. I talked to my dad this a.m. and he said he put some kind of screen behind the grille of my other car to keep bugs out of the radiator and will look into doing that with the GP.
  • evandroevandro Member Posts: 1,108
    Please, let us know more about the radiator screen.

TIA
    Actually, the "radiator screen" is the plastic screen that goes on house windows. He cuts it down to size to fit behind the grille. He hasn't looked at the GP to see if it will work but it did on my '91 Grand Am. I'll let you know if it works.
  • boosted1boosted1 Member Posts: 90
    thanks for the great links to GM tech.
  • evandroevandro Member Posts: 1,108
    I think that your dad had a very good idea. I'm thinking about copying the idea, if he allows me! ;^)

However, I'm wondering how he attached the bug screen behind the grille... Could you shed some light about it?

TIA
    On my Grand Am, my dad just worked the screen in between the grille and radiator and tied it with either a string or wire--nothing fancy.

I imagine he'll be over in a few days to look at my Grand Prix to see if it will work. I don't know if there's space to work with between the radiator and grille in my new car. I looked under the hood but since I'm not engine-oriented, I can't really say.

I'll let you know once he gets here and tries it. I imagine what I said in the first paragraph, you could have figured out yourself.
    I have downloaded the wallpaper and have unzipped it. I have IE as my bwowser. However, when I open it up, I can not right click and set as wallpaper. Dan, can you help?
  • streetracerstreetracer Member Posts: 134
    I read the edmunds review for the 200 Bonnie SSEi. I was surprised it was positive on performance both in terms of "objective" numbers and opinions, given their obvious anti-GM bias. However, they listed different data in the same review. They had 0-60 in 6.8s in the text, and 7.5 on the data sheet. They also had road holding at .82G on the data sheet, and .80G in a related article (fun cars to drive). Does anyone have any thoughts ? I know the offical GM 0-60 is 7s. However the official time for the GTP is 6.4, and edmunds get a 6.9s. The majority of GTP drivers actually get between 6.0 and 6.2, with 1/4s between 14.5 and 15.0 bone stock, without brake torquing.
    what version of MIE do you have? Mine is 5 and even previous versions let me do it. Still, if yours won't do it, then go to your Control Panel in your main Windows menu (on Windows 95 and 98, that's available through "Settings" through your "Start" button) and get into "Display". Once in Display Properties, select "Background" and then "Browse". In Browse, you'll have to select or enter the address where you've stored your image file. Once you've selected the address and hit "apply" or "ok", that should do it. If not, go to Microsoft's website and search for hints there - it's actually pretty good.

BTW, if you don't have a recent version of MIE, you might want to consider downloading an upgrade while you're at the Microsoft site (the upgrade's several MB's but the product is better - IMO - and still free).

Good luck.
    I've noticed this phenomenon too - and not just for the Bonnie. This just seems to be "the way of things". IOW, 0-60 times vary about as much as mileage. Geez, I wonder if these 2 numbers are somehow related? Hmmmmmm.
    I was able to set the wallpaper through the display/background properties. As you had stated, it is too large to fit properly. Too bad. BTW, what did you think about my kids prefering to take the Bonnie over the Sienna for our 900 mile round trip trip to Canada?
    Thanks Dan for that link - I'd heard we have some new material in the design of this dash - I wonder who will pick it next. Very interesting info. I wonder what the issue is regarding deployment of airbags in the winter that this TPO material 'solves' ?

Ken
    Is a softer "skin" that doesn't harden in the cold to the degree that a vinyl skin does. In extreme cold, hardened vinyl can affect the deployment of the airbag. The airbag in our Bonnies will burst through the TPO skin - which is significantly less affected by the extreme colds that any of us are likely to encounter. Ergo, more reliable airbag deployment.

The other feature of TPO vs. vinyl is that it makes the dashboards far more recyclable than before and less toxic for those which aren't recycled. Vinyl is apparently notoriously poisonous as it breaks down in landfills. The first uses of TPO in a car were with a couple of '98 and '99 Mercedes. The Bonny was the first NA car to feature it - others will slowly follow suit.

Stephen: I'm glad the wallpaper worked for you. I have LView Pro (a photo editing software) and this allowed me to crop the photo, changing its dimensions enough that it works quite well as wallpaper. BTW, we had similar experience with our children in the few months when we had both the Bonny and our old Villager - they just like that wide, comfortable rear seat. I had forgotten you were coming to Canada (Quebec - right?) - has your trip already taken place?
  • intense01intense01 Member Posts: 107
    I've seen this problem before. There is a 'sock' in the fuel tank that attaches to the fuel pump, and sometimes gets clogged. The result is exactly what you are describing.

Scott
    2000 SSEi
    336 crank horsepower per dyno
    13.661 @ 100.85 mph per Norwalk Raceway Park
    The transportation was flawless as the family logged 900 miles in the Bonnie. From Boston through New Hampshire and Vermont to Quebec City, and back down through Maine. The kids never once complained about long periods in the back seat or car sickness. I was as comfortable as can be. Only my wife would have preferred to take the van for the extra space. Not to beat a dead horse, but except for the useless glove compartment, front cupholders, and headrests, the car is fantastic.
    Did you, like me, find that the Bonnie's trunk was ample for an extended trip with your family? I was truly amazed and ended up bringing along my golf clubs as there turned out to be WAY more room than I had originally anticipated.

I agree - the car is fantastic.
    The large trunk is one of the reasons I opted to go with a Bonneville back in 1988. I had previously owned three Regals but had to switch to a 4 door due to the arrival of my first child. I carry a lot of work related items during the week and need a large trunk. The five Bonnevilles I've owned have given me the large trunk with unmatched performance in a sedan. Back in '88, if Buick had offered a Regal or Lesabre T type with four doors, I may have never even looked at Pontiac.
    ive never really much cared for the 0-60 number. I havent considered it a worthwhile measure of a cars performance. It can be affected by altitude, tires etc . . . The only performsnce number I care about is how fast "my" car goes when I want it to go fast. Im chasing Scott (intense01) - not that Im gonna catch him - but at least me and the car have a goal. will i rip the engine apart to get there - nope. i was beating some GTP's when I was bone stock, and Im doing it now with a few modifications. It depends on drivers, road.track conditions etc . . . air temp is important also for us.

When these guys do the 0-60, is there a set of standards they follow - or is it just wherever and whenever they did the test?
  • streetracerstreetracer Member Posts: 134
    I agree its more your average time from any speed to any speed, especially coming off idle in a cruising gear. A high torque automatic with FWD will usually not show its true potential in a 0-60 or even 1/4 run. I think the same goes for skidpad and slalom. The testing procedures seem to favor short narrow RWD cars ? Does anyone have any thoughts on this ? Do you guys every use the the 3800SC to pull you around corners ?
    Stephen - what a great trip. I've been there a few times - all wonderful memories. Last time, my wife and I stayed at the Chatteau Frontenac for the ultimate Quebec experience. We had number one son in the oven then - he's 12 now and it's time for another visit soon - maybe bring the 3 kids along for Winter Carnival in Feb or something - I'd love to try that bobsled run and see the ice sculptures.

They always used to have lots of Pontiac Parisiens around - then the Canadian Bonneville. Did you see any?

Dan - no Bonnevilles still being sold that way - right?

Ken
    I did not see even one 2000+ SSEi/SLE and only two SEs on the entire trip. Lately I've been seeing more SEs in the greater Boston area. As time goes by I realize that this is natural, but the uniqueness of this car still is a big plus for me.
    Someone from Florida was mentioning the increased Bonnie sightings in his area. This is probably due to the rental market in Florida. Bonneville has always been a favorite of various rental agencies.
  • ezraponezrapon Member Posts: 348
    Gas prices here in the midwest are crazy. As most of my week involves 60 miles per day at 70+ MPH, I decided to drop down to medium grade 89 octane fuel. I know the computer's knock sensor should protect the engine from self-destruction. Performance seems to be about the same and mileage is constant at 23MPG. Any one tried 87 regular in an SSEi yet????
    sorry to admit - spent the first year or so using low grade gas **smacking self now** never noticed any performance issues, mpg seemed close, but I didnt monitor as much as I do now.
    noe im using 92-94 and dont see anything special happening - when the temps drop ill stick with mid range, and maybe go back to low grade if they jackl the prices. Im told it is less important as the temps go down.
    Apparently, the Bonnie is just not a big seller in Quebec. By and large, Quebecers have a greater preference for smaller, "pocket rockets" than exists elsewhere in Canada - and they tend to keep their cars longer as well. So a newer, large car, is apt to be a rarer sight. On the other hand, nary a day goes by where I don't see at least one newstyle Bonnie here in Ottawa - in full view of the 3rd largest city in Quebec located right on the other side of the river from us.
    Given the non s/c engine, this is a moot point for me - I stick with 89 or 90 octane (if I can get the latter). Here in Canada, I try to stay away from ESSO (extremely high sulfur content) and steer towards PetroCanada, Sunoco and Shell in that order. I know mechanics who swear by PetroCanada gas as being the best on the market - and the easiest on your cat (which IS an issue for those of us thinking of owning our cars for 5 years or more).
  • ezraponezrapon Member Posts: 348
    Hey, You Canadian guys! The airliner that ran out of gas and coasted 61 miles to land... that story got burried here. They ever find out what happen or who was to blame. I fly a lot and found that to be one of the top stories of the year. I always thought a rear engine air liner would fall backward to the earth should it experience engine failure... glad to see they are areodynamically sound. Also... I'm thinking about trying Mobil 87 octane next week when the temperature breaks.
  • mlm4mlm4 Member Posts: 401
    Are you referring to the Air Canada Boeing 767 back in the '80s that ran out of fuel? As I recall, it was a computer problem. On the 767 there are two flight management computers and I guess there was a software bug that allowed an incorrect fuel load to be displayed if one of the computers was on the blink (which one of them was). So the flight crew had to calculate the load by hand and - guess what - they used the wrong units (pounds instead of kilograms). Doh!

How's this: http://aviation-safety.net/database/incidents/19830723-0.htm

(And what does this have to do with the Bonneville? ;-)
    Michael (mlm4) got it right about the 80's incident (about which they made a passable made-for-TV flic back in 1995 called "Falling From the Sky: Flight 174" starring William Devane). They're still investigating the recent incident but it seems that there was a fuel line leak in one engine (which had been recently replaced) and... Our media is still covering this one daily and there's quite a bit of accusation/denial going on. If you're really truly interested, check out CBC Newsworld when the mood strikes you.

On to things more "Bonnevillian": (lovely pic of a) Convertible 1958 Pontiac Bonneville. Yum!

Oh That's a beauty, Dan! Love that shade of blue - and the grill on the Bonneville in 58 was far prettier than the Roadmaster Buick that year - although I don't think I would want to have to keep either of them bug free and polished!

1958 arguably (IMO) had the flashiest styling of the decade (Oh OK, the 57 Chevy excepted) - some would say simply the guadiest.

Nice to post about vintage Bonnevilles here occasionally.

Have a great day all - we're in a streak of magnificent late summer weather here in New England - clear, dry and comfortable - gotta love it!

Ken
  • kzmkzm Member Posts: 55
    Hey,

Did anyone see the new commercials for the 2002 Bonneville yesterday during Kickoff 2001? Very Nice! I'm sure it's going to heat up all those LS & 300M owners out there!

Peace
    KZM
  • ruskiruski Member Posts: 1,566
    of course, the commercial was grossly exaggerated. There is no way SSEi would blow away a 300M like that.
    Nope - didnt see the commercial - so I cant enter the debate based on that particular piece of "evidence".
    What did they show as far as smoking a 300?
    Did they mention numbers - or was it a visual?

Sign me
    Curious
  • kzmkzm Member Posts: 55
    Ruski -

I admit, the whole peice was "eye candy". But, that's what gets people's attention. Also, it was thrilling to see Pontiac take on it's competition like that with a new advertisement, not one that's rehashed!

Curious -

I was too busy looking at the visuals, but Pontiac's website show the info that's I believe the commercial was aimed at:

"THE COMPETITION IS BEHIND US ALL THE WAY.

AND WE HAVE THE TEST RESULTS TO PROVE IT.

Recently, SSEi beat out some formidable rivals: Chrysler 300M, Lincoln LS, and even Lexus GS 300. Under strict testing procedures, SSEi outperformed the competition in key acceleration tests. * In simulated highway merging (0-60 mph sprints), SSEi showed them nothing but taillight. In everyday commuting (30-50 mph runs) and highway passing maneuvers (50-80 mph runs), SSEi left them in the slow lane. And in the all-out ¼-mile blast, SSEi finished ahead. In addition to outperforming the competition, SSEi trumps them in technology too. This Bonneville gives its drivers more standard technology that it's supposed rivals, with features such as supercharging, Stabilitrak stability enhancement system, Magnasteer, OnStar, and HUD (Head-Up Display). When it comes to cars in this class, the prestige is in the performance.

* 2002 SSEi versus 2001 competitors."

OFFICIAL RESULTS

0-60mph 30-50mph 50-80mph 1/4 mile

SSEi 7.64 sec 2.85 sec 7.38 sec 16.60 sec@ 89.2 mph

300M 8.48 sec 3.30 sec 7.82 sec 17.10 sec @ 85.9 mph

GS 300 8.39 sec 3.26 sec 7.65 sec 17.02 sec @ 86.4 mph

LS V6 9.71 sec 3.75 sec 8.93 sec 18.09 sec @ 82.9 mph

Here's the link: http://www.pontiac.com/bonneville/outperformed.html

(Go Giants!)

Peace!

KZM

Where did they get that number ?
    Did they have 4 people and camera gear in the car or what ?
    I have 3 time slips in front of me that show 14.7 and 2 14.8 1/4 miles ? Stock .

Now i have to go read that article . . . . sheesh

Dennis
  • boosted1boosted1 Member Posts: 90
    Now I will have to watch TV non stop until I see the commercial....
    My penance for not being a TV watcher.
    Think I watched a show once at camp this summer - total waste of time! Now that I'm home and have cable - the Red Sox games will be available so I'll probably endure a few till the Playoff Series when I really get interested. I do love to see the car commercials - haven't been too many memorable ones in recent years. Hope Pontiac lights some fires and gets showrooms filled. Got to save this great car by making it visible and desirable.

Ken
    That'll be a brief distraction. (not that I can do much talking - the Jays and the Expos are hardly late season threats these days)

Glad to have you back with us Ken.
  • mfahey1mfahey1 Member Posts: 419
    With the events of today, anything that any of us writes about our cars is positively trivial in the big picture. Howevever, life can and will go on.
    I had a great trip from the Chicago area to Maine on August 29. Drove straight through in 17 hours and as usual, the Illinois/Indiana/Ohio/Pa/New York interstate sections were pretty boring although the scenery in eastern New York is pretty if you're driving during daylight. The good stuff came on the two lane roads in extreme eastern New York, Vermont, New Hampshire and of course, Maine. It was late at night and early in the morning so didn't get too many chances to pass but when I did, there was plenty there. The twisties were lots of fun and got 27.5 mpg over the 1065 miles.
    However, and a big however, the next day the Bonneville left our place on the back of a tow truck just as it had done this spring when it wouldn't start and the dealer replaced the ignition cylinder. I had pulled into our place and couldn't get the key out nor would it start. Called the local Chevrolet dealer who said call Pontiac so I called the 24 hour #. When I explained that I had a 2000 Bonneville, the person who answered the phone asked if it was a Chevrolet. Without going into all of the details, needless to say, it went downhill from there.
    This was the Friday before Labor Day so I didn't expect the dealer to drop everything. However, it wasn't until the following Thursday that the dealership it was towed to told me that the problem was a stretched shift cable, there was a service bulletin on it, and they couldn't get the parts. The next day they said they had the cable but that the bulletin required the cable to be rerouted using different bolts. They had the cable but couldn't get the bolts. I just find this unbelievable that once GM decided there was a problem, they didn't go all out to have the parts available. I asked the dealer to put the car back together using the old, stretched cable but they wouldn't do it. I also asked them to use any bolts they could get their hands on so that I could drive the car back to Illinois. Also, no dice.
    The bottom line was that I drove our old Caravan with 190,000 miles on it in order to get back. The dealer in Maine now has my car and I won't be back until October. So much for GM's customer satisfaction efforts.
    Enough complaints. I would highly recommend that any of you invent a reason to take a trip on two lane roads with one of these cars. They are a real joy to drive(when they run).
  • jbrnsnjbrnsn Member Posts: 3
    Does anybody know how to adapt an aftermarket CD changer (FM modulated) to the 2001 Bonneville radio? The antenna connection on the Bonny radio is not standard.
This discussion has been closed.