Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pontiac Bonneville

Comments

• tpkentpken Posts: 1,108
    Bill - I think you must be feeling the strain of too much work or something! Yes you did post - over in the owner's forum and I answered that you're definitely cracking - welcome to the club!

Check over there - think you have responses.

Ken
  • theicemantheiceman Posts: 736
    Dropped my kids off at daycare the other morning and, coming back to the car, there was another couple standing over the Bonneville (obviously admiringly). As I approached the car, they gushed (periodic waxing protects the finish from drool BTW) and in the ensuing conversation, they told me that they had just bought a new Buick Century (the very car we had as a loaner that same week). The woman peered into the Bonnie and announced that the interior and dash were "just like the Century's" - the man just shook his head and looked at me. We didn't have to say anything else.

Dan

P.S. our experience with the Century as a loaner was very +ve - other than its tach-less instrument panel and dated looking materials for the dash, I personally think it's a lot of car for the money.
  • skyhawk3skyhawk3 Posts: 42
    I have a 2001 SLE and my back bumper is exactly like the bumper that was replaced on your car. I'm not sure what the 2001 SSEi bumper has on it.
    Hope this helps you.
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    Folks, Town Hall had a severe problem last night, and posts made after sometime yesterday morning disappeared in the process of getting TH up and running again. The technical folks have been working all night - and are still working - trying to get them back.

I understand some have already been restored, and more may be coming, but there are no promises at this point.

Please accept our sincerest apologies for this situation and trust that every effort is being made to rectify the problem. Thank you for your patience.

Pat
    Host
    Sedans and Women's Auto Center Message Boards
  • HenryHenry Posts: 1,106
    Since the invite at the Aurora board, I too have been looking at this board. Mostly I look for posts updating the get together. I am glad that I do, cause I would have been looking for yo guys at Sears rather than J C Penny.

I look forward to meeting you guys and Mordecai24. You realize that this could be the beginning of an annual event for folks posting to Edmunds. That is probably why the guy at the mall liked the idea. People who gather at the mall, spend money at the mall.
  • tpkentpken Posts: 1,108
    Now that I have my Bonneville, I just feel as though I'd love to drive and drive and drive - and of course meet other Edmunds buddies. So let's hope this meet goes well - and that others will follow. I'm thinking maybe the next meet around Niagara Falls in June - get Iceman down and maybe some of the Ohio or western PA people might take a ride too.

I really should become a travel agent - always planning trips - in fact at work my nickname is "Va-K" for all my vacation trips (fortunately I get 5 weeks a year now).

Wishing a Blessed Easter to all

Ken
  • smfransmfran Posts: 432
    Ken - How about a meet in the Boston area?
    Hey! What happened to the titles?

A meet in the States could be of interest to me but the timing would have to coincide with a vacation and circumstances are going to keep us fairly close to home this year I'm afraid. Perhaps next summer.... If any of you guys do have a meet near the Canadian border, do yourselves 2 favours: 1. gas up on the US side; and 2. buy everything else on the Canadian side.

BTW, I have a background in events management and Ken's enthusiasm has made me think of a few ideas which could make a meet interesting - things like a seminar on performance modifications; exhibits/talks on tires, available cosmetic mods, etc.; talks on basic maintenance and car-care; on-the-track lessons on performance handling; dyno testing; professionally timed 1/4 mile runs (with certificates & awards); contests for modified Bonnevilles and for restored older models; a "Bonnie" parade; Q's + A's with a GM technician; etc. Obviously, these sorts of things would require a certain scale of meet and probably a full weekend (maybe even a long one). Plus tracks have to be booked well in advance and are generally unavailable during the summer. Plus, we'd have to plug into our networks with GM, Pontiac, old-car clubs, local Pontiac dealerships, performance shops, race tracks, etc. etc. I've done this kind of stuff before (not for car-enthusiasts, however) and it's all do-able. Do any of these sorts of things appeal? Any other ideas? I'm certainly not an expert in organizing car-enthusiast type events (in fact, I have never even been to one) and I'm not yet volunteering my services but I thought I'd throw out for your comments the ideas that had occurred to me.

Dan

P.S. for those who celebrate it, Happy Easter!
  • bdreggorsbdreggors Posts: 143
    Dan,
    I learned to top my tank off Stateside the hard way when I went to Canada a few years back!

All that sounds great! It would be nice to have a 4-day Bonnevillepalooza (or whatever) where attendees stay at a nice hotel (Holiday Inn Express, etc.) and basically use the parking lot for many of the events, like a car show, "Best Bonnie" contest, whatever. A hotel with a conference center would be good too if a rep from GM comes.

Just throwin' a few things out.

Happy Easter (or belated Passover) to all!
  • rb8225rb8225 Posts: 33
    All-

Regarding personalizing the DIC greeting: I know this may be a question that has already been answered, but I couldn't find it in the past posts. I talked to my dealer about it & they have no idea & never heard of it. One of the guys in the shop said he had seen a Bonneville with a personalized greeting, but he had no idea how the owner had it done. Does anyone have the actual instructions on how to do this? I understand that you need a Techtool to do the programming; it can't be done from the dashboard. Are there limitations, or can you use all 2 lines x 16 characters?

BTW, if anyone sets up a group meet close to Detroit, I'll be there.

Thanks,

Robin
    Robin: the DIC programming is infinitely do-able but few technicians have received the training. Go back a few hundred posts to around early Feb -check out smfran' post #627 for a name and phone number of his dealer - who apparently knows how to do this. Anyway, you do have both lines available but this is not a dyi job.

Near Detroit might be a good place for a "Bonn-e-polooza" given its proximity to (a) GM; (b) the Connolly factory; and (c) Pontiac, Michigan.

Dan
  • ezraponezrapon Posts: 348
    It seems that when this forum was spread out into the different strands it was diluted and lost some of its continuity. Posts seem to be down and I personally don't follow it as much. I have to look at all the topics, see which has the most recent post, and then proceede. I liked it better when I had the variety and diversity of all the issues. I enjoyed wading through all the stuff. It felt more connected. That coupled with the frequent technical glitches; have taken a little shine off this site. HOPEFULLY, I am alone with this observation and everyone else is enjoying the NEW look. The picture forum I do like!!!
  • Updated the Zaino on my two rides this past weekend.

They both say they feel a lot better!

Left: 2001 Chev Silverado LT 4-dr Ext Cab, 5.3L, Z72, Traction Assist, OnStar, Heated Leather, etc.

Right: 2001 Bonne SLE, Heated Leather, 3-spoke 17" wheels, OnStar, Sunroof, etc.

Hans
  • snicklesnickle Posts: 147
    DIC programming.

Sho your dealer the manual. About page 85. He'll figure it out. Mine did, eventually.
  • smfransmfran Posts: 432
    ezrapon - I initially wanted to stay in one discussion for the reasons you mentioned. Once I found out you could subscribe to all the linked relevant discussions, I changed my mind. I click on "check subscriptions" from the Town Hall page and it cycles me through all the discussions that have new posts. I think if you try this approach, you will change your mind too.
  • bdreggorsbdreggors Posts: 143
    Only one word, Hans: Fuggedaboutit!

BTW: I use Zanio, too. That stuff works wonders!
    On the owner's forum: at first I was skeptical, then I saw the merit in separating a few key topics. I liked it better the previous way but I think we could make this work better if we kept "Meet the Members" posts to bios about us Bonneville owners. The rest of the stuff in there would seem to be fit well here but, hey, in the end it really doesn't matter. Like Stephen, I'm subscribing to the whole forum so it works out the same I suppose.

Dan
  • HenryHenry Posts: 1,106
    WHAT IS ZANIO???

I am just a humble Aurorian, not use to your Bonne "Big City" ways. (smile)
    Xenon (HID) headlights: has anybody else considered this conversion. I'm currently considering PIAA plasmas or Sylvania coolblues and I'm fielding opinions. Guys?

Dan
    Henry: Have I said I love your car? Zanio is a cheaper version of Zaino, that line of expensive (mostly mail-order) car-care products. Some swear by these products (I am one), other prefer Meguiars (these are good too IMHO). Turtlewax is usually not on the list.

:) Dan