Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pontiac Bonneville

Comments

• mfahey1mfahey1 Posts: 419
    I saw an interesting note in the latest Pontiac magazine. It said that because all of the Bonneville models now come standard with remote keyless, Pontiac has now removed the outside key cylinder.
    I assume Pontiac has thought this all the way through. First thing that came to my mind was that no longer can you get a $10 spare key but instead have to get a $50+ remote. Next thing is what happens if the battery goes dead? Also a little tougher to hide a key somewhere for when you need it. I'm not sure if this also applies to the trunk.
  • theicemantheiceman Posts: 736
    dumb dumb dumb! I must say that, in 9 months, I have never opened the door with my key but, for the reasons you outlined, would like to retain that option. dumb dumb dumb!
  • ehaaseehaase Posts: 328
    The Bonneville, Park Avenue, and Aurora will be dropped. The Aurora will not go to another GM division. The LeSabre and Cadillac Deville will be redesigned for 2006 and will share the same platform. There are rumors that Buick may build a LeSabre Ultra with the supercharged 3.8L V6.
  • The Bonneville only drops the key cylinder on the right side. Still have driver's side. I think I have seen other GM full size cars this way. Also on future of Bonneville, with the current Grand Prix and Bonneville having a 1.7" wheelbase difference, and the Grand Prix being redone for 2004 (Spring 2003), I am guessing the Bonneville becomes unneeded, if the redesign is done right.
    thanks for the key cylinder clarification - that would make more sense. Still, two cylinders is nice to have in this land of bitter cold where frozen door locks favour vehicles with multiple points of entry....

As for the retirement of the Bonneville - the (small) difference in the two cars (remember, I have a '00 Bonnie SLE and a '01 GP GT so I can attest to this) IS the root of the thinking here. The plan that I heard was to simply name the top of the line Grand Prix a Bonneville and equip it more luxuriously - and sportily. That might also mean the death of the GP GTP.

We shall see.
  • Or the Grand Prix will be the two door version and Bonneville will be the four door version.
  • stnelstnel Posts: 338
    I wonder if they'll be getting rid of the GP SE. It's a four door but not in the class of a Bonneville. If Pontiac is going to make these changes, it would make sense that they'll cancel the 3.1 L engine. (I have the SE and I see a number of SE's in this area so it seems to be a good seller for people who want a GP but can't afford the extra expense of the GT. When it breaks down to the number of SE owners and GT owners, I believe I see more GT's on the road though.)

We'll have to wait and see.

I assume if they cancel the SE that we can still get good service on our cars.
    the 3.1 has been around for a while and service for it will be widespread for a loooong time.

I think what happens with the GP SE will be dictated by what they do with the Grand Prix / Bonneville and Grand Am
  • mlm4mlm4 Posts: 401
    Really, it's gone now? OK, I'm going to whine (sorry). This is just to save GM a few bucks, there is no benefit here for the owner. Ford has been doing this for years. Every time I rent a Ford, I get a car with no keyless remote (the rental car agencies usually hold on to them) or passenger door lock (Mustang, Taurus, Crown Vic). That leaves only one way to get into the car - through the driver's door.
  • mlm4mlm4 Posts: 401
    Someone on another board posted this link to an interesting commentary about GM:

http://www.forbes.com/2001/10/01/0928flint.html

It reads, in part:

Those people love cars like the Camaro. One by one, GM has axed time-honored nameplates such as the Chevrolet Caprice and Buick Riviera and Roadmaster. GM even killed an entire division--Oldsmobile. The word is out that the Buick Park Avenue, Cadillac Eldorado and Pontiac Bonneville are also headed down Cemetery Lane. Meanwhile, GM isn't winning hearts and minds with replacement vehicles such as the Pontiac Aztek.

When they kill all the heritage, what will be left?

• evandroevandro Posts: 1,108
    A Bonneville, of course! I got a silver 2002 SLE last Friday.

Boys and girls, what an awesome car! I spent the weekend volunteering to run errands with a big grin on my face! ;^) Roomy, silent, smooth, plushy, powerful, and sure looks sharp! What a joyous ride!

Thank you all again for your comments.
    Congratulations and welcome to the club. Tell us about the details - options you got, how you like those cupholders, etc. etc.

I'm envious!
  • tpkentpken Posts: 1,108
    Welcome to the somewhat exclusive brotherhood (in a genderless manner of speaking) of Bonneville owners! You will, no doubt, become even more enamored of your classy automobile over time. Considering the style, perfomance and outright panache of our favorite car - you are to be commended on your impecable taste and flawless reasoning!

Best wishes for many enjoyable miles and years of Bonneville driving.

Ken
    If Auorora, Bonneville and PArk Ave are soon to be history, it looks like the full sizd progression will be Impala - LeSabre, new top of line Buick then Cadillac. No Pontiac or Olds in the line-up but still a path of sorts. My hope is that Impala moves up a bit in size and styling and takes over the present Bonneville slot. I'd do one in 2006 or so.

BTW - I still love my 2000 SE - despite present vibrations and have no interest in trading it for anything any time soon.

Ken
    I know some of you have had difficulty removing your back seat. I removed mine this past weekend - as part of a thorough cleaning - in a matter of seconds (IOW, very easily). It snapped back in just as easily and apparently securely.

I have two small children. For those of you who are or who have been in "that place", I don't have to itemize what I found down there. For the rest of you, just rest assured that there is a place for pocket change and candy to go.

It occured to me tht one of the nice points about a removable rear seat is the ability to sun-dry and air it out in the event of a spill which soaks through the cloth (or in our case the perforated leather).
    It's also possible that the Bonneville name will stick with a Grand Prix model with a slightly stretched wheelbase (for rear leg room) on the new platform coming out in '04.

I'd like them to keep the name but slow sales loom larger than history in GM boardroom discussions I am sure.
    Congratulations on your new Bonneville. Sure you'll enjoy it.

Dan - A dark bronzemist Bonneville passed me on the interstate today. I saw a dark bronzemist a while back but it could have been the same car.

Ken - I see a green Bonneville (2000+) quite often. It must be the same car and the owner lives in my part of town. Don't know if it's the spruce green or a 2001 that's a different shade of green. I was trying to see the side of her car to see if it was an SE but couldn't tell. It did have a single exhaust pipe as best I could tell. Didn't want to look too much and look like I was a stalker.

I believe I've seen most of the colors around town but am not sure about black.

evandro - I've seen a silver one too.
    My Bonny has leather, power passenger seat and heated seats (these last 2 make up a package). The CD/cassette player is standard now. But the SLE is pretty well loaded. I did only without sunroof and chrome wheels. However, even being over 6' tall, the Bonny probably has enough head room even with the sunroof.

The 2002 model has, as far as I could tell, different cup holders and new exhaust tips, more noticeably. Even though I prefer a covered cup holder, I have to agree that the previous design it was sometimes impossible to use both receptacles at the same time. They're now staggered and hidden from sight somehow by the console bin. I have no problem with them, although with the cover it was more refined.

The new exhaust tips are oval, like the Grand Prix's, not trapezoidal as before, which were a bit on the overdone side, IMO. I think it looks better balanced now, even if a bit more squareness would improve them a little.

I think it's also new for the 2002 the 5-spoke wheels, instead of the previous crisscrossed style.

I showed it to a couple of closer friends who own a Lexus and a Volvo and they were impressed with the Pontiac. They had no idea that it was actually comparable to their cars, costing $$$ less. Both thought it was an amazing car!

It is a very exclusive ride, most have no clue what car it is. And I love it! ;^)
    you've summed it up nicely and touched on a number of improvements compared with my '00 SLE. For example, although leather-endowed, mine lacks On*Star and a cassette player, heated seats and power passenger seat. Further, the driver's seat incline and lumbar are manually adjusted. OTOH, the MSRP since I bought. Still, I woulda gladly paid for the heated seats.
    Ah, yes, it has On*Star, which I haven't activated yet... The seats are just 6-way, with manual lumbar and inclination on mine too. The driver's and the inside mirrors are electrochromic; pretty neat feature. ;^)
  • ab348ab348 Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, CanadaPosts: 1,895
    Bronzemist seems to be a standard GM color in most car lines. It has me somewhat confused though.

I have seen some Bonnevilles in what I assume is Bronzemist and they look very good indeed. However, when I see what I believe to be the same color on Intrigues, Malibus, etc., it looks different -- dull, muddy-looking, not at all attractive.

The question: is this the same paint for all, or is Pontiac's shade different somehow?

2011 Buick Regal Turbo, 1968 Oldsmobile Cutlass S Holiday Coupe

• Jayski.com, a Winston Cup new/rumor page, is saying that he hears that the new Pontiac to be run in the 2003 Winston Cup season will be a Bonneville. Another indication that the "Grand Prix" replacement will also replace the "Bonneville".
    My brother has a medium bronzemist Malibu and I have a dark bronzemist Grand Prix. They look like the same color to me. If there's any difference, I sure can't tell it. My car has a little more shine in the sun, but I figured that had to do with the waxing they gave my car when I bought it. (And my brother doesn't wash his car, so if it's duller, it's probably due to dirt.)

Pontiac also has a light bronzemist but you can definitely tell the difference with that color.
    Dan - Time will tell what the new line-up looks like. Whatever the models are, the new mid-luxe platform will probably be quite nice and with RWD, probably ride very smoothly so it will be interesting to see what the variations are in a few years..

Stacy - you are almost certainly seeing a 2000 Bonneville. No green offerings existed in 2001 as I recall. My Spruce Green is not a teal hue and does have a definite yellow tint in the color - not like any other green I've noticed except other Pontiacs. If you see large chrome letters on the side panels it's an SLE or SSEi. The SE is more understated - but has BONNEVILLE in chrome letters accross the trunk lip and a chrome strip running along both sides. If you looked at the front of an SE vs the other two - SLE and SSEi you would see a difference in the grille - lower and 'edgier' in the latter two, chrome lipped and less aggressive on the SE.

Now you're armed for instant recognition!

Best to all

Ken
    I believe I saw an SE. I looked on the passenger side panel to see if it said "Bonneville SE" but didn't see anything.
    I haven't see one yet but I like the pix I've seen. This is what edmunds has:

I note that GM says that the SE's front and rear fascia have been redone (I haven't seen the rear yet). But I really like the new front clip - it appears from the photo to have less bright trim - always a plus to my tastes. Heck, if there was no such trim around the nostrils, I'd even consider swapping the clip on my SLE.

I also notice that early reports about the retirement of dark bronzemist Bonnies have now come true. Pity.

I wonder if they'll be discontinuing the dark bronzemist on all of their Pontiacs.
    Is it only me or the side cladding has been a little subdued? The fenders also seem a little bit flared out (Coke-bottle) as in the rest of the line-up, don't they?
    Looks to me as though the side strip is no longer chrome - the one above looks like the body color but that might be just the lighting or angle.

Front end changes are very minor. The two or three fins in the lower air dam now replaced by one. No other changes obvious to me.

Wheels are apparantly unchanged.

Evandro - there is no cladding on SE models - only SLE like yours and the SSEi.

Still a classy automobile - I'm proud to drive one!

Best wishes to all

Ken
This discussion has been closed.