Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pontiac Bonneville

Comments

• theicemantheiceman Posts: 736
    Doesn't it look like a better integration between the lower air scoop and the foglights in so far as there's now a recess which ties these together? Further, the front bumper-mount bright strip seems to be gone - I'm guessing that the bright trim on the side and rear bumper is also gone.

I've always preferred less bright trim (although it works on dark colours) so I like the new look

evandro: I do not detect any changes to the sheet metal.
    is being retained by GM - I note that they are introducing for the first time on the Century and Buick for 2002.

I've long felt that chevrolet bronzemist and pontiac dark bronzemist were different. But I'm not so sure about it any more.
  • evandroevandro Posts: 1,108
    It's just that I don't remember noticing the Coke-bottle profile on the SE before...
  • itiaitia Posts: 4
    Hi "guys". Just letting y'all know - after 2 1/2 months I still LOVE my 2001 SSEI. Black Beauty is my "new best friend". We go everywhere together. Still having fun. My former boss just got a new Lexus. He can't handle the fact that I even have the heads up display and that the radio goes louder when I drive faster. Completely blows his mind. His GPS is nice but sends him the wrong way - ROFLMAO. Ciao for now.
    Yeah, GM puts some neat things in my car. A buddy just spend $40k on a Bimmer - couldn't get over that the Bonny had tire inflation and oil life monitors, the DIC, etc. He didn't get these "options" on his Bimmer (to much $$$ one must presume).
  • ecarmackecarmack Posts: 161
    Just curious, has anyone had problems with the cladding coming off of the SLE/SSEI? I saw an SSEI on the lot last weekend and one piece of cladding was already coming off. Pretty embarrassing for a brand new car. My sister has had to deal with the cladding on her Bravada a couple of times. Personally, I think the SE looks sharp without it. It's nice that Pontiac will be using less cladding in the future.
  • ehaaseehaase Posts: 328
    Mid Lux platform for 2004 Grand Prix is just an improved version of the current FWD W-body platform used for the current Impala, Grand Prix, Regal, Century, and Intrigue. Automotive News showed a prototype 2004 Grand Prix, and it didn't look much different from the current model.
    I have heard of others who have had some side cladding problems but they are few and far between.

The advantage of cladding is the protection it will afford the doors and rocker panels over the life of the car. Stone chips, door dings - you name it. Paint's adhesion to plastics is very good these days and if plastics can be used for bumpers - which nowadays wrap from one wheel to the other - they can certainly be used for cladding.

Being body-coloured, the side cladding on the Bonneville is less intrusive than say on the outrageous Aztek or Avalanche but I can still see why it catches people's attention - positively and negatively. I somewhat prefer the less-straked and more coke-bottle look of the SLE/SSEi's sides to the SE's but concede that this look could have been achieved with sheet metal. I think the answer as to why common sheet metal is used is obvious.

To be honest with you, I never saw the side cladding as the Bonneville's aesthetic achilles heel. Rather, I think the foglights and exhaust tips on the SLE/SSEi are overdone - and the ribbed treatment of the tail-lights "GrandAms" the car too much. If I were to polish the SLE/SSEi's looks, I'd:recess the fogs (keep them centred though)and make them somewhat smaller;change the front headlights to something closer to what we see on the IS300 (and other cars) and I'd make them HID;swap the exhaust tips for those on the Caddy STS; andswap the tail-lights for virtually anything out there from Chrysler, Cadillac, Acura, etc. (you know, something "jewelled" but not clear - a "refined" look)

That's not a tall order - and that points to what a nice looking car this really is.
  • mlm4mlm4 Posts: 401
    I have seen many '02 Bonneville SEs running around Orlando, the rental car capital of the world. I like the new front facia -- it looks more agressive -- except that it now lacks the front license plate depression cover, so the depression is always there, plate or no plate. I have not had the chance to study the rear end closely, but I cannot see any differences there, other than the lack of chrome.
    Other than for some really beat-up Bonnevilles, I have not seen any running around with missing cladding. The previous generation Bonnies had cladding attached with nylon fasteners which could break or weaken. The cladding is now attached with adhesive tape. On my SSEi, I've noticed that at the edges of the doors the tape is not adhering, but only at the very edge. Hopefully it will not worsen over time.
  • The side cladding on my 2001 SSEi had to be replaced. It was warping slightly on one corner. This was noticed the day after I got it home. I wonder if maybe it got "snagged" when they prepped the car.

No big deal...

The new one matches 100%.

Enjoy the ride.
  • tpkentpken Posts: 1,108
    Well folks, I'm off warranty now. Turned 36K on Thursday so now I hope for the 'bullet-proof' power train experience that will justify my not purchasing an extended wty.

I'll have to drop by the local Pontiac dealer soon and look for a 2002 Bonneville SE and see it for myself - any excuse to look you know!!!

HAve a great weekend all. It was 80 here yesterday and today - but supposed to be snow for skiing in the mountains around here this weekend according to the forecast. BRRRRRRR

Ken
    Anyone home?

Seems awfully lonesome here!

Where have all the Bonnies gone?

Hope everyone is out driving Miss Bonnie!

Ken
    Stopped by my local Pontiac dealer on the way home Friday to see what 2K2 models might be there. One SLE model was it. There were half a dozen Grand AMs and Grand Prix but one lonely Bonneville - silver with gray leather priced at 31K with the power pass and heated seats as well as SR. I liked the new wheels on the SLE. Sure hope an SE is coming soon to look at.

I know how that SLE felt sitting there all by itself!

Ken
    I just noticed the other day that my gas cap isn't locking any more. I'll look into it tomorrow (it's Canadian thanksgiving this weekend - we get the 2nd Monday of October off and it's nowhere near as big a deal here as tg is in the States) and let you guys know what I find.

If you've had similar problem, by all means, share.
  • stnelstnel Posts: 338
    A while back, you were looking for tires. Do you have the P225/60R16 tires? I was wondering what you wound up with. It seems you were looking at Goodyears. Just curious. I'll probably stick with the tires that came with my car--Goodyear Eagle LS. I was discussing tires with Dan earlier and decided it was too confusing a decision to make when I don't know much about tires.

I HAVE to get my oil changed either this coming week or the week after. I have between 36-3700 miles. I guess the service department will see about air filter too. The car will be 4 months old. Don't know if that's too soon for an air filter or not. When I get my car check up this month, I'll look for 2K2 Bonnevilles and GP's.

One more thing--I had a hard time getting the water marks off my car when I washed it. I used a cotton towel. Would a chammy work better? Maybe I should have let the car semi-dry before I dried it with the towel. I've never had a car that had to be towel dried. Could be I needed to use more elbow grease as well. There must be a knack to it that I don't know. Hate to ask such a dumb question but does anyone have a suggestion. When I dry the car, the watermarks just stay there.

Guess I've rambled enough.

Stacy

P.S. Looks like I was still typing when Dan got his post in.

Happy Thanksgiving, Dan
    Stacy: that's probably related to the minerals in your water (all tap water has some) and is worse if you wash your car in direct sun. In my experience, the visibility of the marks has to do with the colour of the car and how closely you look. Best way to avoid them is to use a wax or polish (like Zaino) - or rinse with water with a rinse agent (sorry, don't know US brand names) delivered through a hose attachment or pressure washer. The latter is a little too...well... fussy if you ask me...

Thanks for your tg wishes.

Dan
    Dan - I probably need to wax the car. The car didn't show as many watermarks when I washed it before. It was mostly this last time. Does your dark bronzemist tend to show a lot of watermarks?

I've never waxed cars that I've owned in the past. They've all been white and didn't seem to need waxing. I'll go to Walmarts and ask them about a Meguires waxing that's easy to apply.
    you can't avoid them if you don't have some kind of protectant (like wax) on the car or sheeting agent in the water. But the colour on which they're the least noticeable is in fact white. I do get them but I also use Zaino (when I get around to it) so that minimizes it tremendously.
    I went to K-Marts today and looked at the Meguires. They had the actual wax and the liquid wax. I guess the liquid wax is easier to apply.

I probably won't wax it as much as most people would wax a car. I just don't feel like putting that much work into it but will give it a try. After 20 years of driving white cars, I needed a change. But if these other colors require all this work, I may go back to buying white after this car!

Out of curiosity, how much time does it take a person to wax a car (with the liquid wax if it's easier/quicker to wax)? The reason I'm asking is if I could find someone to do it, I was wondering how much to pay. If I had an idea on how long it should take, I could come up with an amount to pay based on x amount of dollars per hour.

Thanks!
    There is a picture of the 2004 Grand Prix at www.thecarconnection.com. The car doesn't look a lot different to me, except perhaps a little influence from the Grand Am and Bonneville. By 2004, the Bonneville is supposed to be discontinued, and the Grand Prix will be Pontiac's top sedan. The coupe is also supposed to be dropped.
    You've got a good eye - I can't tell anything from that disguised shot: Car Connection: GP spy shot.

I too have heard rumours that the GP will stay on an updated W body platform while the Bonneville name will continue as a RWD (on the epsilon?).

Rumours....

Epsilon is a FWD platform that will be used for the next generation Malibu, Grand Am, Saturn L, and many Opels and Saabs.

According to Automotive News, the Bonneville will be dropped. GM's only full sized cars will be the LeSabre and Deville. The Aurora and Park Avenue will also be dropped.
    my mistake about epsilon - I was thinking sigma. Apparently, my recollection for the Greek alphabet has waned in recent years. In any case, both platforms were designed to accommodate AWD - so some claim it's technically possible to have either RWD or FWD on either platform.

I have read a number of predictions - that the Bonneville name will be dropped, or could continue on either the epsilon or the sigma platform. Motor Trend and Edmunds predict a 2005 epsilon-based Bonneville. Others say that the name will be dropped after 2004. Nobody is now predicting that it will be on the mid-lux platform (the redone W body that the future Grand Prix should be on).

Of course, everything is conjecture at this point - especially in light of Bob Lutz's recent arrival at GM (which has made things a little harder to predict). Still, it is interesting to speculate about the possibilities of a RWD Bonneville in the future.
    Glad to see postings here again. Belated Thanksgiving greetings to you Canadian friends!

It's been spitting snow around New England yesterday and today - after 80 degrees on Friday!!

We took a family foliage trip yesterday into the White Mountains of NH and saw spectacular foliage - at peak - and even had a snow squal go through and coat the trees with a film of glistening white frosting - absolutely magnificent sight. No we didn't take the Bonneville this trip - the Suburban is the family road trip warrior that keeps the kids separated in the 2 back seats - an invaluable feature!!!

Stacy - no new tires yet - just plunked out $700 on the truck so need to wait a bit now - hopefully new Bonnie shoes before winter really sets in. I'll have to check the tire size - don't know off top of my head.

enjoy your day all

Ken
  • mlm4mlm4 Posts: 401
    I don't want to start another thread on waxing here, but someone asked about it and I thought I could offer a couple of quick opinions. First, don't bother with the stuff dispensed by the local gas station car wash -- it's worthless (and streaks up the windshield too). Second, a regular application of wax is an inexpensive way to preserve the finish for a long time. Notice that I didn't say "easy and inexpensive." It can involve as much or as little effort as you want; you will get out of it what you put into it. But I think that any effort to protect the finish is better than nothing, if you care about the car's appearance. If you never wax (or wash, for that matter) the car, it will still run just fine. Waxing and polishing is simply a matter of pride and protecting your "investment."
    There are products out there that are easy to apply and could take as little as 45 minutes on a sedan like the Bonneville. I prefer Meguiar's for no other reason than it seems to work just fine, and I am pretty fussy. I recently spent two hours waxing my SSEi, and I didn't even go into the door jambs or anything that detailed. For me, it is a relaxing weekend activity so I enjoy it; you should not spend a lot of time on the car if there are other priorities for your time. For a few bucks, take it to a professional car wash and they will do a decent job too.
    Three more suggestions: make sure the car is CLEAN before waxing; use a finish cleaner and polish if you have the time; and wax the car AT LEAST twice a year, preferably more often than that.
    Thanks for the waxing tips. Two hours work isn't too bad. I'll probably fit into the category of people who only wax their car twice a year though.
  • mosaixmosaix Posts: 106
    Any older Bonneville owners here? Had to take my Intrigue in for service last week and the dealer gave me a 92 Bonneville for a loaner. That baby had 128K on it's clock and certainly looked like something from the early 90s(medium blue with blue cloth interior) but for a 10 year old car with that kind of mileage, it drove pretty well. The old 3800 was smooth and had power and the transmission shifted as well as my 2001 Intrigue with 5000 miles does. The brakes were a different story and I could tell the struts were going, but th car still felt pretty stable. Just curious if anyone else here has an older Bonneville. I was impressed at how well the car seemed to have held up. Speaking of Bonnies, the new ones are killer. I love the SSEi and seriously considered one, but they were a bit over my price range. I heard talk that the Bonneville will be discontinued in a few years and I think that is stupid. GM is making some really dumb moves these days. First they drop Oldsmobile, now they are dropping other great cars like the Camaro and Firebird and now th Bonneville. And I've also heard the redesigned Grand Prix will be sedan only.
  • I try to wax my car twice a year, or sooner if I "feel" the surface is rough.

I find that it is very rewarding weekend project to clean,detail and wax the car. I have spent as many as 6 hours on this process before. Its important to remove any bugs or tar before the wax goes on.

Its all worth it when you step back and take in the beauty.

Even white cars look good with a coat of wax...

Wax is a cheap way to keep your car looking great for a long time.

Enjoy the ride..
    Get that coat of winter wax soon...
    GM is dropping cars like all Oldsmobiles, the Camaro, Firebird, Grand Prix coupe and Bonneville because sales are poor. GM can't continue to produce cars that lose the shareholders money. The Bonneville is a good car that deserves much higher sales, but GM can't coax enough people away from Camrys, Accords, and Acura 3.2 TL's.
  • evandroevandro Posts: 1,108
    Volume-wise, more Bonnies are made than Avalons, TLs, etc. It's just that GM hasn't been enticing the press enough towards its products. The press cheers about any piece of trash brought from overseas (Mini comes to my mind), but misses completely jewels like the Bonnie, the Intrigue, etc. They are quick to mention Mercedes' stability control, but "forget" to say that Caddies have had that years before.

Like when a comparo in R&T of several cars, among them the GP, which beat hands down all the others by a significant margin in performance and fuel consumption and yet got low ratings in these 2 specific aspects. Talk about the press neutrality... Maybe GM should be more generous when advertising... ;^)
This discussion has been closed.