Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pontiac Bonneville

Comments

• mfahey1mfahey1 Posts: 419
    For the benefit of our Canadian friends, I forgot to mention on the previous post that I wound up having to go to a bunch of extra work due to your tax laws on liquor.
    Normally, when I drive to Maine, I stay on the U.S. side simply because it is more direct. Customarily, we take all of life's necessities including an ample supply of Gordon's Gin and Johnny Walker Scotch. So for this trip, I did as I always do and loaded enough for our "needs" and what we need to entertain when we are there. After everything was loaded, it dawned on me that this time, I had decided to stop in Toronto to visit with the people at the Toronto distillery who I had worked with the last several years. Nothing wrong with that except that with the huge differential in taxes on liquor between the two countries and the resultant tremendous problem of smuggling, I realized I had loaded far more than you are allowed across the border. So back out came most everything I had packed so I could get to the booze box. Hopefully, I guessed correctly about how much you can legally take into Canada since I have no desire to be the poster boy of the Customs people in the war on smuggling. Dan, I'll be crossing back into the U.S. at Thousand Islands which isn't too far from you. It would have been fun to see your car and meet you but aside from having to get to Maine to get building permits, I also didn't think you would have been similarly eager to see a 1988 Caravan loaded to the gills.
    The Bonneville is resting snugly under my Camaro's car cover since neither is going anywhere fow a couple of months. I'll miss it but that should just make me appreciate it more when we get back to Illinois.
  • rb8225rb8225 Posts: 33
    Michael- You're not paranoid enough. Check this out!

http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/archive/15393.html

• mlm4mlm4 Posts: 401
    The article in GM High Tech Performance correctly points out that all of the technology to monitor a vehicle's performance already exists - it's just a matter of implementing it. The OBD-II generates the data; GM already makes a data recorder for diagnostic purposes (and apparently more subversive activities); OnStar telematics (cellular and GPS) provides remote control/monitoring and global positioning capabilities. Just imagine, the police would be able to send you a speeding ticket based upon your vehicle broadcasting how fast you were going and where, without ever witnessing it. From a technical perspective, this is all very impressive, but YIKES I hope it doesn't get rammed down the consumers' throats. The Register article just goes to show that this stuff has already begun to happen, and no one is the wiser for it. Yet.
  • skyhawk3skyhawk3 Posts: 42
    I did not activate on star immediately. In fact they sent me a reminder. I activated it while driving to Maine. At the time I was on a stretch of 95 between 128 and the NH border, where I usually move about 85+. The on star representative commented during the activation procedure "You're moving rather quickly". I did not comment, but I suspect that in the event of a serious accident there will probably be some sort of log of speed, etc. within the 'black box' of this car that could be displayed.
  • tpkentpken Posts: 1,108
    Ed - where do you live? I travel that I-95 stretch you just referenced on a daily basis but haven't seen your SLE yet - will have to keep my eyes peeled!

Ken
  • refinerrefiner Posts: 59
    Just got back from So Cal. Was out there for 2 and half weeks. Seen one Bonneville a SLE. Picked up my stage 2 MAF and AFPR from RAT while I was out there. What a outfit.I ordered it four months ago. What fuel pressure is someone with a AFPR running? A good place for cheap tires is tirerack.com they have the Goodyear RSA tires for $129.00 apiece. Intense did you get your PCM reprogrammed thru ASE chips? Just wondered if they had a quick turn around time.
    Matt - I bet it was good to get back behind the wheel of your SSEi! What did you have for rental wheels? Hard to believe so few Bonnevilles out there - I see lots of them now in the North-east.

On my way home from PA yesterday I became the Spruce Green filling in a Maple Red SE sandwich! Must have looked like a Pontiac Christmas Tree! I had these new Bonnevilles as travelling companions through northern Connecticut into Mass. A black prior generation SSE joined in the convoy for a while. It's funny - seems like last month I picked up 2 other new SE models in basically the same stretch.

Bonneville hunting has become one of my favorite drive time passtimes.

I wonder how many Mark will see on the way here from Chicago.

Ken
  • smfransmfran Posts: 432
    I travel I95 (and all other major roads) all over eastern New England. Keep your eyes out for me in my Midnight Blue 2000 SSEi. When are you going to organize a meet for us in this area?
    Stephen
  • cuzinbruceycuzinbrucey Posts: 10
    It may be too late, but here is a link for the size tire...

http://www.treadepot.com

I have never used them (just used google.com to find them). But they list the tire for $125 US.

Cuzin Brucey

• snicklesnickle Posts: 147
    Scott new has his rocker arms available for sale. I will get a set soon I hope. New heads and rocker arms should make a big difference in our cars.

Check out the link:

http://www.clubgp.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=6358277&FORUM_ID=19&CAT_ID=1

• intense01intense01 Posts: 107
    Matt:

I never did try these folks out yet. I've been too bogged down with heavy duty engine mods. I would say that somewhere around mid-summer I will rethink my position on not being able to go faster than 126 mph...

Scott
  • theicemantheiceman Posts: 736
    Picked it up today. Cost of tire itself: $285 Cdn. (about $185 US) plus installation and taxes (15% in Ontario!). How does $225 US sound as a grand total? Ouch! Given that my dealer gave me a loaner Regal GS for the two days I was without the Bonneville, I'm happy to buy it this way rather than over the net - but it still hurts!

BTW, the RSA 235/55/17 actually lists for $357 Cdn. (about $230 US) in Goodyear catalogues up here but local Goodyear dealer explains that this is out of date and $370 is more like it. I am suspecting that, given that this is not a commonly stocked tire, that local supplies will not be abundant - nor will discounts.

I have bookmarked the tirerack and tiredepot sites because this experience has started me thinking about tire replacement. My mechanic informs me that 235/55/17 will NOT be an easy size to replace and that the RSA is a damned fine tire - particularly as an all-season high performance tire that works well in snow. Unless I want to get a 2nd set of Hakkepelitas for the winter (yuck!), I might not have much choice on the matter. However, he did say that he could probably put Michelin Pilots on for close to the same price.

According to my mechanic, other than the above 2, the only other tires available in 235/55/17: Bridgestone Turanza Z RevoMichelin Energy MXV4 PlusGoodyear Eagle LS.

I can say that I love the RSA's - very sticky and the built-up sidewalls let you throw the Bonnie into tight corners with confidence, zero squeal and no added roll (that's probably the 55 profile). I cannot compare ride comfort with another tire because the RSA's are all that I've had on this car.

Any recommendations or comments?
  • vtech83vtech83 Posts: 66
    Ice:

A couple of options. A 255/50-17 tire is about the same circumference as a 235/55-17. Seems like there is a bigger selection in that size. I'm not sure if a 255-series tire will fit on your rims or not. I think the Bonnie has 17x7.5 wheels. Another option is to move up to 18x8 wheels. Expensive, but then you could use 255/45-18 tires. I think intense01 has that setup.

Good luck.

Mike
    Stephen -

Did you happen to be driving north on I-95 in the Georgetown to Newbury Mass area on Sunday afternoon somewhere around 3 p.m.? If not, I saw your car's twin as I headed south to PA. I remember thinking it was the first SSEi or SLE I had seen in that color - very nice by the way.

I'd love to see a Bonneville meet in our area too - maybe a Sunday afternoon sometime in late June? I'll help but can't do it all. How wide shall we open the invitation? Based on participation in NJ, I think it would be good to get a buy in from a few other car types to make it the most fun. I'd like to see Grand Prix, Impala, Regal, Aurora and Intrigue, and Cadillac join us - what are your thoughts?

Ken
    Forgot to mention that I was opportunistic enough to have them reprogram my and my wife's name (her name is Daryl - and, unlike our fair Xena on this board, that is her real name). So, they are now centered and we've gotten rid of those colsarned vertical lines.

Nice touch - my boss commented on it today.
    Thanks for the 18 in. suggestion but I'm not sure that I'd like the expense (of new wheels), the look or the ride. On the other hand, it could let me put performance snows on the 17" rims and keep a real performance touring tire on the 18" ones.

Has anybody else done this - and lived to tell the tale?

BTW, spoke with my dealer today & thanked them for all their help with the tire. As we got talking, something didn't sound right to him and it turns out that I may have been over-charged by about $50 Cdn. (about $32-35 US) so I'll be getting a refund.

Surgenor Pontiac Buick GMC - best dealership in the Ottawa area (IMHO).

This was an unscheduled visit to the dealer but it was at the 6000 mile mark, so I had them change the oil (58% life left according to the DIC oil life monitor). Unfortunately, because it was unscheduled, I didn't bring any synthetic with me - we'll have to wait until the next one.

We're heading into our first warm-weather holiday weekend this weekend (Queen Victoria Day - rather quaint, 'tisn't it?) so I hope to make some headway on that "honey do" list.

Have a good one yourselves! Dan
  • smfransmfran Posts: 432
    No, it wasn't me on Sunday in that neck of the woods. I was with my mother in Framingham. As far as a meet goes, I wonder who else involved in these Bonneville discussions would be interested.
  • HenryHenry Posts: 1,106
    Let me know so that my Olds and I can crash the party.

Don't worry, I'll keep the car in second gear. ;)
  • intense01intense01 Posts: 107
    Took the SSEi to the track yesterday, and got five runs in. My best three looked like this:

2.169 9.218 @ 76.94 14.242 @ 97.45
    2.197 9.202 @ 77.82 14.230 @ 98.48
    2.255 9.188 @ 78.26 14.163 @ 98.50

Scott
    2000 SSEi
    Stock: 15.800 @ 89.60
    4/14/01: 14.555 @ 94.75 mph
    5/19/01: 14.163 @ 98.50 mph
    Hey if I can get to NJ - you're certainly welcome up here in these parts

Ken