Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pontiac Bonneville

Comments

• My local Goodyear dealer wants $230.00 a tire for the Goodyear RSA. From Tirerack.com you can get them for $130.00. Quite a difference.
  • evandroevandro Posts: 1,108
    I myself am over 6' high and drive it with the seat all the way back. Still, the leg room in the rear seat is pretty good. I can't cross my legs there, but I don't get my knees squeezed against the front seat.

AAMOF, the only car in which I could actually cross my legs in the rear seat was in the Intrepid. However, the Bonnie has more head room there...
    Is there any chance to get some of SSEi's features programmed in the SLE's computer, such as rear view mirrors position memory and tilting when backing up?
  • mlm4mlm4 Posts: 401
    I think the programmable mirror features require more than software. The mirror motors have some sort of position encoder to tell the computer what orientation they are in. In order to have position memory and tilting, I think the mirror assembies would have to replaced with the ones used on the SSEi, as the ones used on the SLE do not have the position encoders. This is derived from the schematics in the Helm manual.
    Are the mirrors really different? Anyway, I guess that the same applies to the seats memory... :^(
  • mfahey1mfahey1 Posts: 419
    I'm beginning to think that we have a secret target painted on us when it comes to ignition problems.
    After going through two rounds of them with the Bonneville, one of which was nearly 1100 miles from home, now the 2001 Caravan has done it to my wife. The key won't turn in the ignition no matter what. I know modern cars are highly complex, sophisticated machines and without question are better than in"the good old days" but this is getting frustrating.
  • fantascpfantascp Posts: 175
    Hey Ken, just want to reaffirm that which we already knew from prior posts- THE BONNEVILLE IS THE BETTER BUILT CAR- PERIOD!!!!!- NHTSA recalls- Pontiac Bonneville-year 2000- 1 recall for cars made in January of 2000- possible brake problem- year 2001 and 2002- NO RECALLS!- 2000 Dodge Intrepid- 7 RECALLS, 2001 Dodge Intrepid- 2 RECALLS, 2002- no recalls- Chrysler 300 M- year 2000- same 7 RECALLS and same 2 recalls for 2001- no recalls for 2002-
    anyone who wants to read these , just go to www.nhtsa.dot.gov and click on recalls etc.

Chuck
  • rdl40rdl40 Posts: 60
    I'm in the market for a new car and one of my top choices is a 300M special (18" wheels, HID lights,
    dual exhaust etc..) I just happened to come across your comments on the 300M, it does have me concerned. I've never owned a Chrysler product before and your comments are important.

However, I did drive a Bonne ssei and was impressed with the performance. But the interior felt cheap, Pontiac uses alot of plastic on this car and my concern is that thing will start to fall apart. Also this platform has been around along time and is starting to show signs of aging.

The Grand Prix GTP shares the same powertrain and is better looking of the two cars and is less expensive. I think the Bonne. days are numbered.
    As for the plastics, it may look cheap to you, but every car in the world uses plastic. The 300M, the ES300, the S80, the E420, the A6, the 530, all use plastic inside. No, that's fake wood or just a laminate over... plastic. One cannot say that one uses more plastic than another.

In conclusion, it's more about looks than anything else.
  • jashoujashou Posts: 18
    I would agree the 300m interior is classier than the bonne. It all comes down to what is important to you in owning a vehicle. To me the exterior looks of the bonne is just as attractive as the M. The major differences that appeal to me with the bonne over the M are the HUD, increase of power, smoother trans, lack of road noise and probably most important the reliability factor. Maybe the M has improved since I had mine but being burnt once is enough for me. Good luck in whatever you decide.
  • Ken,

Richboro is about 35-45 minutes away ( depending on traffic). Took the Bonnie in last week for the first oil change and I am good until March.

Not only did they sell the new 2002 Bonnies but they had 6-8 late 90's and 2001 left overs. I did check out the Grand Prix and Grand AM and they looked very nice. It was great to be surrounded by all those Bonnevilles.

I hope everyone is getting to enjoy the extended summer weather and it is nice to put the windows down, the music up and go cruise'n.

Have a safe holiday and remember our country's veterans on this the 60th Anniversary of Pearl Harbor.

Steve
  • We all seem to be seeing more and more new style Bonnevilles on the road.

Today I pulled up to a stop light next to my twin, a Dark Bronzemist metallic SSEi. Unfortunately the other driver didn't seem as excited as my wife and I were. I don't think they even realized. Oh well.

Love the ride.
  • smfransmfran Posts: 432
    I know what boosted means about others on the road not as exited as we are when seeing a twin/sibling. Today I passed a sibling to my 2000 Midnight Blue SSEi; the identical car but an SE. The driver didn't even acknowledge me even though I know he saw me. I'm surprised when a driver in cars like these doesn't show appreciation of like minded owners. We are a unique group and should pay attention to each other.
  • rea98drea98d Posts: 982
    Hmm...One thing I always liked about my '78 Mercury was that I almost never saw one like it. Very rarely a Grand Marquis of the same body style, and never one in the same color. It was a bit unique, and I liked it. Now, granted, the new Bonnevilles are out in much greater numbers, and still being produced, but some people just feel like lemmings when someone pulls up beside them in an identical car.
    When I see my identical car, it surely is a rare event. I would think all new style Bonnie owners would also recognize this and pay tribute to others in this very small group. I don't think we are in danger of becoming lemmings due to the "love it or hate it" aspect of this body style.
    Whenever I pass or stop alongside another Bonneville, especially an SSEi, I look over at the other driver to see if he notices (I've only seen one or two female drivers of these newer cars in the past two years). The one and only time there was any recognition was back when I first got the car in March 2000. I was following another new, black SSEi and pulled alongside at a red light. Both the other driver and his passenger (wife, I'm guessing) were thumbs-up to me. That was cool, but it was the only time it has happened. I don't expect it from the SE drivers (no offense) because they are mostly rental cars around here. But the SLE and SSEi owners just don't seem to notice, or care. Not that I expect everyone to be as enthusiastic about their cars are we are, but you'd still think that an SSEi owner would be a "special breed" (I don't know what that means, but you see my point).
  • tpkentpken Posts: 1,108
    Hi all - between being sick (this intestinal flu has had me 3 time in 4 weeks - just won't let go!) and working till all hours on the budget at work I've had no time for keeping up here.

Thanks for the post on recalls Chuck - surely confirms the status of the car's reliability although I do believe I have something going on in my steering shaft these days - but no time to check it out yet.

Steve - I still havent had a chance to check out inventory at my dealer but have seen a number of new SEs on the road recently. Rentals? Maybe.

I notice new gen Bonnevilles every day around here and agree that most do not similarly recognize another 'Bonneville cuzin'. What's wrong with these people? lol

Take care all - stay away from this flu bug if you can - it's no fun!!!

Ken
  • gweilogweilo Posts: 118
    The Bonnie might share the intermediate steering shaft(ISS) from the Impala which has just had a new part issued to fix a problem...a clunk when turning amongst other symptoms. Appears to be one of those "lubed for life" parts that doesn't live up to its label. The lube winds up at one end of the part. Some Impala dealers are going the route of adding grease fittings to the original part. Not sure if this makes the old part identical to the new replacement part. Also too early to tell if it is a long term fix.
    Are you the only one here who has had a steering issue?
    Ken,

You may be right about the ISS on your car. The Bonneville is affected. See this:

http://service.gm.com/gmtechlink/Nov2001/articles/steeringshaft.html

This is the first I've seen of a direct tie of the ISS issue to Bonneville.

Thanks for the link, Michael. I'll print it out and have it in hand when I get to the dealer (whenever I can manage to do that)!

Ken
    GM's most recent sales analysis: "Bonneville sales were up 10 percent vs. 2000." Hooray! The bad news: the Orion plant is down all week, 3200 workers idled. Not making more cars this week...
  • that no one missed me ! LOL

Hi Again - I'm likely making my last post here -

I have taken a mistress . . . . I bought a 1980 Z28 and am starting the restore / mod program that wont leave me much time for the SSEi anymore.

Here's the Bonne update - it has about 45,000 miles, running strong as ever, the smaller pulley and open air intake helps that - but the rest of the car is still something to be proud of. I have had that ISS clunk for about 6 months now - maybe more, just didnt want to have no car while they fixed it.

Now that I have the Z - im not too concerned about the bonne - ( a shame really, considering how good she was to me) and Im goinf to spend the winter with my head inside the engine bay of the project.
    I just want to say thanks to everyone here - you have proven to be a helpful, friendly bunch of folks, and I wish you all the best for the holiday season - no matter which holiday you recognize.

Peace to all. . . . .

Dennis aka Homer
    Sorry to see you go but to quote Arnold Schwartzneger(sp), you'll be back.

If you need lots of good information about your 80 Camaro, go to "http://"nastyz28.com for as much information as you could ever want. There is a wonderful seach function there that has helped me immensely with the restoration of my 1970RS. In fact, the Bonneville is sitting outside while the axle for the Camaro takes up its spot in the garage.
  • ezraponezrapon Posts: 348
    what is the rear end doing in the garage. I remember many junk yard trips and parts bin head aches trying to get the ratios changed back in the 70's. Some ratios were not available due to different carriers 2:41/2:73 had one, for low end trans am and camaro automatics. The 4 speed cars had a different carrier that would take 3:08/4:11.
    Then there was the 10 bolt/ 12 bolt dilema... good luck. My 79 trans am has a 3:73 or 3:90... I hate it and wish I had the factory 3:23. SSEi is running great. The 180 thermostat is showing itself with the colder air. I believe it will smoke my old T/A.
  • Thanks - someone in the local f-body club tipped me off to that site when they heard about the project. I have been there lots - taking notes - making plans - contacting parts sources - etc etc

Im Homer2 there -

you are right - I'll maybe pop back once in a while , but the time frames will keep getting longer - until the lease co takes her back next November . .
  • stnelstnel Posts: 338
    I haven't really written in to say goodbye to the people at the Pontiac forums (Grand Prix/Bonneville) because I may still stop by with a question here and there.

I got started posting at Edmunds when I was car shopping last spring and just kept it up because the Pontiac people I posted with were a nice group.

But the truth is, I know very little about cars. Eight or nine months is a long time to post on a topic that one knows little about so I've simply run out of things to discuss.

You've all been very helpful with any questions I've had and I thank you for your help!

Regards,
    Stacy
    I'm doing a total restoration on the car, something I started, believe it or not, nearly 19 years ago when I told my wife I was just going to overhaul the engine, it would only take a month, we didn't need a second car for a month. New job, graduate school, two kids, lots of work travel and not a lot got done although I did completely redo the engine, frame and undercarriage. I've now replaced the panels and finished painting it last month. To your question about the axle, I took everything back apart(springs, gas tank, sway bar, axle) and applied a few things I've learned over the years. It is now back in the car but my wife has claimed dibs on the other spot in the garage. Actually, she's been a saint about the whole thing over the years and giving up the Bonneville's spot is the least I could do.

Mark
    Merry Christmas to all you Pontiac fans! And best wishes for a happy and healthy New Year.

Stacy - we'll miss your posts here. Hopefully in this past year you've learned a bit more about what is a favorite topic for many of us - our cars! It's been a pleasure to see you here and in Grand Prix land. Best wishes for many enjoyable miles and years with your Pontiac.

Everyone else - enjoy the holidays, especially the family times and events. Please remember to be careful on the roads - especially the evening hours as partiers are driving home full of holiday 'cheer'!

Best wishes to all.

Ken
    Best wishes to all! Remember to keep in mind what is most important; Family and safety.
This discussion has been closed.