Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pontiac Bonneville

Comments

• fantascpfantascp Posts: 175
    I was reading a post on a different site re- 2000
    bonneville reviews- someone stated that the battery under the rear seat is a pending disaster.
    I went on the NHTSA site- only 3 complaints listed about it- I never took out the rear seat to actually see where the battery is and if there is a protective cover over it- has anyone had any problems with battery acid leakage or (God forbid) know of anyone getting burned from battery acid caused by an accident? I would think if this were a problem, it would have surfaced long ago, given the number of vehicles made since 2000.

Chuck
  • mfahey1mfahey1 Posts: 419
    If I'm not mistaken, Corvette has had this feature for quite some time. Surely, if it has given GM any significant problems, they would not have repeated the same mistake in this car.
  • evandroevandro Posts: 1,108
    Many cars over the years have had a battery inside the cabin. Perhaps the most notorious of them was the old VW Beetle...
    Anyone get their copy of the spring issue of Pontiac magazine? Good article on the semi-stock Bonneville that hit 200mph at Bonneville. The article said that the engine was re-engineered to put out 600hp and in a picture that went with the article, you can see an intercooler sitting on top of the engine.
  • Mark. Nothing beats performance, but, as I said, this is a luxury car and you just don't trick it up at the expense of aesthetics.
    I went past someone who had put aftermarket duals on a 95 SE and it sounded like a hopped up Honda with one of those 3 inch extensions on it.
    I purchased a new ECM today, had it programmed and sent it to ASE..I'm sure I'll have enough new excitement for a while..and I can't afford to burn up those Michelin Pilots..I'm on my second set!

Ben
  • I guess I'll order a 3.5 pulley kit and get a spare ECM programmed and send it off to ASE.
    That should be enough. I'm hesitant to do the exhaust because I haven't heard an aftermarket system that is appealing.
  • tpkentpken Posts: 1,108
    Chuck and Stephen - we'll stay in touch over the next couple weeks and see what works out. Sounds promising.

Mark - I saw that 200mph Bonnie at the car show in Boston last year.

I've been away for a few days - had to take a quick ride out to Indianna and back with my in-laws. 2000 miles in 3 days. Good thing I like to drive! Unfortunately it wasn't the Bonnie I was driving - but a 91 GMC conversion van.

Best to all

Ken
  • maybe the new Bvill will have 280hp in 2004...check out all the concept cars. Im sure the GTP will to.
  • Good timing dropping in from the sky just as 1990 referred to the concept car. I just learned about the Bonneville G/XP unveiled at the Chicago Auto Show. 270 hp and a real looker. Apparently this is not just a concept car and is reported to be strongly considered as a special edition Bonnie for 2003 with the look being adopted by all Bonnevilles for 2004. According to Bob Lutz:

"It was slightly overornamented, and (the Bonneville G/XP) is the 'less-is-more' syndrome. The more we smoothed it out, took the ridges out, reduced the complexity of the light graphics, the car just got more and more beautiful."

How do these goodies grab you? ... Corsa cat-back exhaust, 19 in. wheels, beefier, cross-drilled and slotted rotors with Baer coated calipers, additional s/c boost, K&N filter system, xenon fogs, maximum legal tint glass (same for headlight covers and tail lights).

Guys, I think this is really good news. I already called my dealer and told him to get one for me if they make them.

I posted some data and pics about it here: MTC Brand Information Center

If I find out anything more concrete, I'll pop in again. Until then...

• The two tone color interior does look funky. Is it just me or does it look like an SE with out the cladding? I also read its been lowered a inch and a half. Hopefully it will be at the Cleveland auto show next month. To any one who is interested theres a limited-slip differential out there now for the SSEi its at http://www.motorsports.westserver.net Its also where I got my MSD Superconductor plug wires.
  • h101h101 Posts: 62
    I just returned from the Chicago Auto Show and signed on to say WOW!!! about the graphite grey Bonneville I saw at the auto show.... but the Iceman beat me out (thanks for the reference to the pix).

However, I gotta' say a few words anyway. I didn't know about the car and did a real double take when I saw it. I couldn't believe how much the smoothing of the facia improved the looks of the car (and I love the looks of my 2000 SSEi already). Notably, the lower side cladding is smooth, the "coke bottle: flare at the back door is smoothed, the back bumper bump around the license plate is gone, there are two exhaust tips on each side, the imprinted Pontiac and Bonneville are gone, replaced by small metal letters (saying Pontiac Bonneville) at the lower left corner of the trunk lid.

I could do without the carbon-fiber accents on the steering wheel and around the air vents inside... but... I'd get used to 'em.

I'm with the iceman.... if it goes into production, I'm getting one :)

Bill, Madison, WI
    Gee, all you guys are starting to recognize the beauty of the 'unadorned' look of the Bonneville - as shown in the G/XP which has been why I have prefered the looks of the SE to the SLE and SSEi all along. It sure does look great and I would also love to see it make production status. Don't think I'm in the position to buy one new but maybe a 1 or 2 year old deal like I got on my present ride would be possible. Hope it isn't just a teaser.

Ken
  • I hope pontiac moves towards less extra plasticc on the outside of there cars, to a sleeker more refined look like the concepts display...The current GP and Bvill are nice, but the grand am is hidious, and look at that aztec thing...ahhhhhh
  • smfransmfran Posts: 432
    Nice to see some old contributors back; at least for a once in a great while post.
  • mlm4mlm4 Posts: 401
    GM to cut 1,750 jobs at Orion Township; cites Aurora sales off by 80.7%, Bonneville sales off by 26% (48,598 for 2001), LeSabre off by 24% (36,454 for 2001). http://www.auto.com/industry/gm15_20020215.htm

Bad news is that Orion is down to one shift -- which is one step away from shuttering the plant altogether -- and this is the only plant building Bonnevilles.
  • they need to refreshen the bvill anyway.
    Maybe there's hope for GM yet. The automotive section of the Chicago Tribune said this morning that Bob Lutz has trashed the 03 redesign of the LeSabre and Regal.
    To quote "Those were, I think, by far the most disappointing vehicles I have encountered in GM's product pipeline. There was nothing favorable you could say about them except they were on time."
    So perhaps the "tuner" Bonneville at the Auto Show has a shot at production.
  • Hi - new to the forum - bought a 2001 SSEI in October. Wondering what the best for the dollar upgrades are to this car? Does anyone make aftermarket sway bars that are any stiffer than stock? Really like the ride, highway performance but looking to 'spice' it up a little - doesn't quite handle like my 2000 Maxima SE (yet, I hope). Thanks in advance for any info---
    Welcome to Bonneville land!!

You're going to love the car for sure. What color and options do you have?

Best wishes for many years and miles of enjoyable driving.

Ken ('00 SE)
    Several of us have upgraded our SSEis with sway bars from Saner Performance Fabricators. The rear one was easy, maybe an hour and a half. The front one was very, very difficult and involved disconnecting the tie rods, dropping the engine and disconnecting the exhause pipe. I came close to having mine towed off and have someone else finish up. In hindsight, I would do the rear bar and only get the poly bushings for the front. You'll probably get 90% of the benefit with 25% of the work. This might change the balance between understeer and oversteer so be forewarned.
    You can contact Saner @sanerperffab@cs.com. They were nice people to deal with.
  • Matt..email me..ben_johnson_sr@yahoo.com

Got the PCM back......W O W!!!!
  • ezraponezrapon Posts: 348
    Tell us more about the PCM. Do you have any other mods? Are the mushy shifts any stronger? Was it easy to instal and did you have to have it flashed by a dealer?
  • The Pontiac Brand Manager said at the Chicago Auto show, that GX/P might go into production for 2003 as a limited edition!
  • The PCM is an EZ swap, but, the cranshaft positon sensor M U S T be set by a tech 2 before you drive it hard. The engine is going to ping like you won't believe. Just as an example, I pushed mine somewhat and thought I had blown the engine..What I really did was blow out 3 spark plugs, porcelain and tip. Amazingly the engine performed almost like it should.

I was fortunate enough to buy a new PCM and have it modified, thus having the original in case of a warranty problem, trade in etc.

I also have a bored throttle body, recalibrated MAF, fuel pressure riser, K&N filter..fun car!!

Ben
  • I've been fighting a wind noise problem since I purchased it in Oct 99.. Pontiac replace the channels in the driver and passenger window which quieted down the noise somewhat.

I am still bugging them about this problem, but, worked out a "band-aid" to the problem last night with about $.50 worth of screen door spline.

Interested in knowing how many other people are suffering with this problem.

Thanks

Ben
  • I didn't have that problem with mine. Its run fine since I got it. Did you get a service engine light when you put it in?
    Matt
    Woohoo - maybe there's hope for Bonnie!
  • Hey Matt. Yeah. I got the Service Engine light which I expected..If you didn't have the Cranshaft Position sensor set, you should..you may be on borrowed time.
    I also had another leftover problem..there was a problem with some crossover pipes in that the inner wall would collapse..When they replaced mine they left the number 6 spark plug wire touching the O2 sensor which had generated a DTC. Didn't know about the wire until we chased the other problems. The wire had melted and the boot was melted to the plug...but the engine kept on goin'!

You having the wind noise problem I mentioned above?

Ben
    The Chicago paper today said that the 2003 GTP would be upgraded to 280 hp. Although there was no mention of a similar change to the SSEi, you would have to assume that where one goes, the other follows.
    I had mine in yesterday because the "service engine" light had come on. It turned out to be something with the vapor recovery system so it didn't affect driveability.
    However, since it was already there, I had them take a look at a whistling sound that the heating system was making after the car warmed up. Since it didn't always do it, I figured that it probably wouldn't happen while they had it. When I picked the car up last night, they said that there is a service bulletin out on it and they have to install some tape or something as a seal. I don't know if this applies to all systems or just the automatic ones but thought I'd let people know that it isn't their imagination if they hear a whistling sound.
  • ezraponezrapon Posts: 348
    I've had a GTP for a loaner once or twice. Even though I am a GM man, I could not drive a GP daily. The design is about 10 years old (drawing board inception)and it shows. It feels cheap and is way to small. They could make them 300 hp and it would not get me in one. I wonder with my 3.4 pulley, CAI, and adding a low restriction exhaust; how close to 280 hp I might already be. Does everybody else's SSEi light up the tires for 300 ft when tromped on, or is it my mods that facilitate this adolescent fantasy. When mine was new (pre mods) I was beaten regularly by my brother in law's Lesabre...Not any more! Was it the mods or the engine getting loose? I actually have not done the exhaust yet, I have this fear of spending 500 bucks and having a sound not unlike two modified rice grinders racing... an amplified flatulent sound. My old grand national had a real nice Indy type throaty sound... same basic engine, but can we duplicate the sound?