Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pontiac Bonneville

Comments

• thill381thill381 Posts: 64
    Did you purchase the pulley removal tool? I am considering changing to the 3.4 as well and don't know if I should try to by a used tool or ask one of my dealers if I can use there J tool if they even have one. Just curious if you have the tool and would want to recoup some of your investment.
  • streetracerstreetracer Posts: 134
    Do you know of any good shops in NJ that will order and install a smaller pulley for you?
  • mfahey1mfahey1 Posts: 419
    I actually borrowed ezrapon's while we were down in St. Louis last weekend. You might want to try poking around on ClubGP's site for a used one. I also bought my pulley from them as they were a bit cheaper on shipping than SLP. You'll also want to have a #50 Torx bit so that you can release the belt tensioner. Also make sure you use plenty of Never Seize or Permatex's equivalent. I used heat on the base of the pulley hub to get the initial release of the pulley and then used the puller the rest of the way. By that I mean that I hooked the puller up and drew it up tight and then used heat to expand the bore of the pulley to do the initial release.
  • ldevineldevine Posts: 9
    a write up on both at www.motortrend.com
  • smfransmfran Posts: 432
    Thanks for returning on a regular basis. The Bonneville owners club discussions have picked up again since your return.

More HP in the GP vs. the Bonneville? That doesn't seem right.
    The pic of the G/XP is great. I will seriously consider one if available when my lease is up in May '03. I do like the higher fog lamp position in the current SSEi/SLE. I'm also considering an Envoy for a change of pace.

My hand is raised as one who takes care of my wife's vehicle. Beyond scheduling and taking care of routine maintenance, she tells me if something is wrong and I have it taken care of. In return, she does my laundry. I think I'm a winner in this deal!
  • mfahey1mfahey1 Posts: 419
    Last night, we had our best friends over for drinks and dinner. Nothing special but since I'm leaving for a few weeks to go to Maine, we just wanted to get together with them.
    They pulled up in their (actually his) brand new Beetle Turbo S and of course, the "boys" had to go for a ride so he could show me its features and performance. We only live a half mile or so from the country so it does't take long to get to a place where you can try things out. The Turbo S is brand new and carries a 180 hp 4 cylinder with a 6 speed. Very, very nice and quite quick.
    Well, I just had to demonstrate the Bonneville's newfound power so we went back and got my car. The first launch, I forgot to turn off the traction control so I quickly corrected that for the second one. There went a few hundred miles of wear on the right front tire. I took it up to about 90 and as I was coasting back into town, I told my friend that the difference between now as "mature" adults and some years ago was that now, we do this type of thing before we have drinks.
    Oh well, it was fun to relive part of our youth.
  • goodwifegoodwife Posts: 2
    Looking at a 2000 or 2001 Bonneville. Am curious about whether the dash reflecting in the windshield has been a problem for anyone. We test drove a beautiful Olds Aurora, but the large line in the dash reflecting in the windshield was a big distraction. Noticed some of this in Bonneville. Otherwise really like the car.
    And lay off the wife bashing. I am on husband #2 and he and #1 were both the sloppiest people I have ever seen with a vehicle. #1 let not one, but two of our cars run out of oil. #2 actually smokes a pipe in the car and drops tobacco everywhere. So count your blessings. I bet your wives have plenty of things to say about the way you take care of your home.
  • goodwifegoodwife Posts: 2
    Does anyone know if the new white they came out with on 2001 Bonneville is a Pearl white metallic like the many recent other makes?
  • theicemantheiceman Posts: 736
    Mark: LOL
    goodwife:
    1. Reflection lines aren't a problem for me in the Bonneville - could be the tan colour of my interior though.
    2. I'm not sure, but I think the Bonnie white is not as "pearly" as the Aurora's and others. Can anybody else field this one?
    3. Finally, don't get us wrong, none of us are complaining per se. I for one count my blessings. I just occasionally cringe when I have to use a shovel to clean out the interior of her car or when I discover that the windshield fluid's been empty for a week or a bulb's been burned out since "I forget" or... Anyway, I'm silent about it at home so we can consider this my little "outlet".
    Stephen: my shirts go to the laundry - I got tired of doing them. I'm starting to see why you think that yours is such a good deal! >:P

P.S. you could do far worse than an Envoy - I like them a lot.
    I came across this (pretty balanced) review of an '02 Bonneville and thought I'd share it with you guys: Nowadays the push is on handling more than top speed. Salient line: "The only thing missing from the Bonneville bag of tricks is some promotion." Couldn't have said it better myself. Hey! Wait a second, that's what we've all been saying for the past two years!

Mark: reading your earlier e-mail about having to buy a #50 torx, I had to laugh - because the Bonneville forced me to do the same. My wife dropped our mailbox key between the seats and, as Murphy's law goes, it ended up falling down between one of the seat pedestals and the carpet. I needed a #50 torx to lift the seat support rail and slide a "small parts claw" to retrieve it. These keys are difficult to replace (have to go through the post office) so it was worth the $1.50 for the bit and the 15 minutes of work. Plus, I got to see some of the car's construction detail up close.

• rjs200240rjs200240 Posts: 1,277
    Who are the guys writing it? In it they refer to the 3800 as a 60 degree V6, but isn't it a 90 degree V6?
  • tpkentpken Posts: 1,108
    One can only wonder what might have been if GM had properly promoted this car.
    Yeah, it's a 90° V6 - methinks they were thinking of the L32 3.4 (which IS a 60° V6).
  • fantascpfantascp Posts: 175
    OK- I need some expert opinions on this gang
    my 98 SSE was manufactured in July of 97, and since I purchased it in Jan of this year- it now has approx 64,000 Miles on her- this July will be 5 years- but I'll never have 100,000 Miles on the car by July- right now( Knock on wood of course)
    the car is running strong and great- no problems- last week when we had that record breaking temps for a few days that hit around 96 Degrees- in stop and go traffic up Rt 80, etc- the temp never moved more that 10 degrees above 200- and held that way with the A/C full blast! my question is- should I go ahead and have a full service done in July -(5yrs) on flushing the complete system etc or don't fix what isn't broke- keep going as is until 100,000 miles, which at the present rate will probably be another couple of years.
    Thanks for any opinions either way!

Chuck
  • mackacmackac Posts: 3
    We have a 2000 SSEi on a GMAC lease. The lease expires in January 2003, but we're looking for someone to pick up the remainder of the lease now. If you are interested, go to leasetrading.com; search the cars by Pontiac, and click on listing I.D. # 4018. There's no membership fee for someone looking to buy.

It's a good website and a way to buy out the remainder of a lease.

Why are we doing this? We found another car that we like even better -- a 2000 Seville SLS !

The SSEi has a paid-up extended warranty to 45,000 miles, a refundable security deposit and prepaid miles to 45,000. 12-disc CD changer; moonroof and heated seats. Excellent condition.

Go to leasetrading.com and make a bid.
    best wishes on the SLS as well as finding someone to take the SSEi.

I drove a 2K1 SLS a couple weeks ago and loved the sound and feel of that Northstar. Sounds just the way it should!

Ken
  • mlm4mlm4 Posts: 401
    I think I may have started something over on News & Views / GM build quality/reliability (so far, the response is good!). It's a little suprising how much positive opinion there is about the Bonneville, even among people who have not been inside one yet. It will be interesting to see how long- (or short-) lived the discussion is.

I also just got around to discovering the "What is Wrong With Pontiac" thread (also in News & Views). Great discussion going on there (of course Ice has been contributing there for awhile) -- worth checking out if you can deal with the wags who think the answer to the question is "cladding." What I really find fascinating is the nostalgia people have for the land barges the big three built back in the '70s (me included). Does this mean people still like the big cars? If so, is the SUV craze responsible for the Bonneville's fall from "greatness?" Oh, what a shame!
    I would go ahead and have the cooling system flushed at its 5 yr mark. You don't want to wait until the cooling system stops performing, as then it is too late. I mean, you don't wait on an oil change until you can hear the driveline clanking, do you?
    I think that the SUV craze had undoubtedly killed the large car - at least for the time being. I've said it here before but I think that the back side of the SUV hill will see good things for large cars - and therefore to car mfrs who still make them. I base this on my own personal experience but also on demographics - but I have to temper that with complete ignorance of what categories of vehicle may yet await us.

My own experience - I moved from small, Japanese two door coupes to midsized four doors (when I got married), to a Volvo station wagon (when kid 1 came along) to a minivan (when kid 2 came along). When the minivan had to go, I thought hard about our transportation needs and decided that a large car would give us the utility, comfort, style, fuel economy and safety we wanted. Prior to that minivan and wagon, a large car would have seemed waaay too barge-like for my tastes and I'd probably still be driving an Altima or one of its ilk.

We've been without the minivan for over a year now and have not yet had one occasion to miss it. My sense is that as more people move out of the child-hauling years, the demand for SUVs and minivans will dip. As this population will be comfortable with larger vehicles, they will lack the aversion to large cars and may even have an affinity towards them. I believe that large and stylish cars which offer utility, safety and better fuel economy (than SUVs and vans) will start looking increasingly attractive. I think that this is what GM was attempting to accomplish with the Rendezvous - although I they didn't quite hit the bull's eye. IMHO.
  • fantascpfantascp Posts: 175
    Thanks- no I don't wait until after the fact- i'm
    right on when it comes to routine service for my cars- the manual calls for 150,000 miles(don't know why I originally thought it was 100,000 miles) OR every 5 years- whichever comes first- i'll have it changed this summer! way to long apart to go from 64,000 miles to 150,000.
    Thanks again for your input.

Chuck
    I've had big cars since I learned to drive - with the exception of one Camry so you could certainly call me partial to that segment. As the likes of Accord and Altima and Camry grow with each successive generation it appears to me that they don't have very far left to go before they will qualify as large. The interiors are increasingly airy and spacious now while the exterior dimensions are still considered midsized.

Looks to me as though this is the trend and that we will soon see cars that have Crown Vic interior proportions inside 'midsized' packages. Indeed Ford is planning just such a vehicle already. As the large boats fall by the way - at what point do these 'midsized' cars then become the new 'large' segment?
    You know, this love affair with SUVs and large cars is strictly an American thing (I don't want to drag the Canadians down with us, even though they drive the same vehicles, they probably blame us somehow ;-) It's both what's great and embarassing about America. The largest European cars are no bigger than our mid-size cars (for practical purposes), but then again we have the luxury of lots of space. (And look at what happened in L.A., or Houston -- thousands of miles of roads clogged with cars!) But I digress...

I own an SUV (Tahoe), and I love it. Why? Because GM's best products are it's full-sized trucks. Far and away better than any of their cars. I also love it because it really is a go-anywhere (within reason, of course), do-anything vehicle that I can drive 365 days a year without a worry (except for maybe that $40 fill-up every week or so). I admit that down here in Florida I have had no use for four-wheel-drive, and the only off-roading is the occassional sandy trail, but when I lived in Colorado I really did need and use an SUV. 90% or more of the SUV owners never go off-road, or even use four-wheel-drive. Heck, half of the SUVs don't even have 4WD! The SUV craze is all about the American excess of the '90s, and that's on the decline. But unfortunately, the manufacturers have neglected their cars at the expense of the trucks and buyers don't have much to go "back to" when they finally decide to downsize from that Explorer.
    It may be that the ever growing assortment of smaller SUVs, including some that are car based platforms rather than the traditional truck based vehicles, may serve those folks wanting to size down. Rather than go back to a passenger car - if there are AWD and FWD choices like the Toyota Highlander for example people will opt for these.

Riding high when so many vehicles today are oversized is an advantage that is being incorporated into new car designs - the Matrix I believe is one that touts this feature.

People are going to be reluctant to give up that feeling of security that comes from seeing better from a big SUV and even a minivan.
    Ken,

I agree completely. People like the look and slightly elevated ride of these new mini-SUVs/wagons/whatever they are. I think they're cute, but not as rugged and manly as a full-size car or truck. Think Tim Allen/Home Improvement. Arrg-arrg!
    I still like the aspect of the sedan which is why I drive a Bonneville. My wife however says she never wants a car low to the ground again. She will probably move from a mini van to a hybrid when her time to get a new vehicle arrives.
    I myself am considering a change when my lease expires in May 2003. Any thoughts on the GMC Envoy?
    I went to pick up some parts from a local Pontiac/Buick dealer and figured I'd check out a Bonne while I was there. The interior is quite comfortable. It didn't have a sunroof and there was a ton of overhead cubbies and such, even a power outlet! I suppose that would be handy for a radar detector as long as the cord didn't swing around. Mainly what struck me was that it was an SE and was only about $25K. That's a lot of car for not a lot of money. I wish they had some lighter colors for the interior as dark interiors always seem impersonal/cold to me. However, I suppose the Bonnie's interior would look strange in a light color. It's a nice car! Pontiac seems to change wheels like every model year which is neat.

I helped a family member shop for an Envoy/TrailBlazer (they went with the TB) and I think the Envoy is the nicer vehicle. I like the looks better, and it has a load-leveling rear so the back end doesn't ride all high and bouncy when it isn't loaded. If you don't plan on off-roading much, then the Bravada is the nicest riding and has the longest warranty. It's AWD system is pretty neat too. The look is the most unique although the front takes some getting used to. It looks a bit like the nose of an Alero grafted on a truck.
    Thanks for your thoughts. I agree with you regarding the wheels. With such minor (if any) changes from one model year to the next, sometimes the only way to tell one from the other is the wheels.
  • boosted1boosted1 Posts: 90
    I did my best to "polish" the exhaust tips on my 2001 SSEi. They were starting to look really bad, so I wire brushed them, sanded them, buffed them, and then used some high temp clear coat to protect them(hopefully).

It will be interesting to see how they hold up.
    Here's how I looked at the minivan/hybrid vs. large car question:

Hybrid advantages:
    higher driving position versatility to carry bulky cargo more "airy" cabin popular (for now) rugged styling walk-through access to rear seat (minivan platforms only - and this is eliminated if you have a center console) better resale value (right now - that can change)

Car advantages:
    handling - especially cornering and emergency maneuvers fuel economy acceleration better access for seniors (e.g. my parents) and small children due to low ground clearance lower roll-over tendancy lower maintenance costs (on average) view of objects in rear (esp. backing up at a daycare centre, etc.) lower purchase price for same drivetrain and equipment levels

Although I liked the forward visibility of our minivan and the cargo/passenger versatility, we used the latter so infrequently that it became irrelevant in our last foray into the market. When it came to making a decision, we just found that we valued a minivan/hybrid's advantages a lot less than we had originally thought.

To each their own.

Like the Envoy though - I put it up there with the Highlander and RX300 as my favourite SUV/hybrids.
  • sixxersixxer Posts: 36
    Yes, it is true that the downsizing could be a good thing. But the one thing I truly hate about vehicles today is that it seems that they are designed for people who are under 6' tall. My selection was quite limited when I was vehicle shopping. I'm 6'4", and there were very few in which I was comfortable. Even a Dakota felt to be shy on headroom (headroom being my biggest complaint). At least in the Bonnie I can sit up and have a couple of inches of room up there.. With no sun roof of course! It just leaves me to wonder, will they realize this, and consider this when they downsize vehicles? I'm beginning to think if the Bonnie is no longer around in a few years, my selection is going to be limited to either full size trucks, or a Cadillac perhaps? My preference is American cars as well, so it's looking slim. Hmmm, maybe custom added roof bubbles a la Viper GTS? :)

Stan
This discussion has been closed.