Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Jaguar S-Type

Comments

• jerrym3jerrym3 Posts: 202
    Saw the 2003 model at the NY Autoshow, and the Jag S-R.

The 2003 was very nice, and now has a dashboard similar to the X and larger sedans. Huge improvement.

The Jag S-R is a pretty car, but I think they made a mistake with the "mesh" grille. More than one observer thought it looked cheap.
  • rea98drea98d Posts: 982
    "With legitimate problems we have never had a problem getting a car bought back by Jaguar. "

You make it sound as if you've had quite a bit of experience with getting Jaguars to buy back lemons.
    All I've heard from car magazines is how much better the new Jaguars are than the old, but I see more people having reliability problems here than I do on the www.jag-lovers.org mailing lists for the Series III XJ's! Who knows, maybe all the truly horrible XJ6's have died off by now and all we're left with now is the 10% that were actually decent cars.
  • cfgrosscfgross Posts: 54
    J.D. Powers Ratings for New Car Initial Quality

1. Lexus
    2. JAGUAR

J.D. Powers Ratings for New Car Reliability

1. Lexus
    2. Infiniti
    3. JAGUAR

Need I say more?
  • mvargo1mvargo1 Posts: 298
    I've seen 2 in 3 years. One was one of the first X's with a bad trans. The other was a customer who did not like the CD based nav. in the S-Type. I still don't know how they pulled that one off.

If it is an R it gets a mesh grill period. That is how you know it is an "R". Besides with 400HP and 400 ft/lbs of torque how many people get to see the front except in their rearview mirror before it passes them
  • riezriez Posts: 2,361
    cfgross... Has so many award categories that you can hardly keep 'em straight. They have watered down their "brand". Think Consumer Reports is much better and potentially less biased, esp. when JD Powers won't report on brands below average. (That way they can market/sell the award to those above average?)

Did into their definitions. How long is new car initial quality" period? 30 days? 60 days? 90 days? 6 months? 3,000 miles? 6,000 miles? 12,000 miles?

And does "new car initial quality" have any correlation to "older car later reliability"? Say after 3-5 years? Over after 50,000-75,000 miles?
  • jagboyxkrjagboyxkr Posts: 53
    No one will dispute that Lexus makes some of the most reliable cars on the roads today, and that is why JD Powers is aknowleging them for their commitment to quality and customer satisfaction. Jaguar is right behind Lexus in the number 2 spot, and for being overall the second most reliable maker of quality cars with very satisfied buyers is a huge achievement as well. JD Powers is aknowleging Jaguar for this achievement, as they do Mercedes-Benz and other makes with high customer satisfaction.

Companies with poor quality and a lack of customer satisfaction do not get put on the top of the rankings and do not get recommendations or awards. Omission can be just as powerful as flat-out stating dislike for someone or something. (Therefore, I will not tell you how I feel about you and your constant attempts to discredit anything in which BMW is not highly ranked. If BMW had scored as high as Jaguar in the JD Powers rankings, then you would not be discrediting them right now.)

And while we are in the Jaguar S-TYPE message board, the S-TYPE is a vehicle which is "RECOMMENDED" by the highly regarded and "less biased" (as Riez says) CONSUMER REPORTS. The entire Jaguar model line could not be "RECOMMENDED" because CONSUMER REPORTS could not collect enough data on it, and therefore has "N/A" listed in many ranking areas.

At least JD Powers is thorough, and Jaguar ranks high in both JD Powers and CONSUMER REPORTS.
    jagboyxkr... Do you know how many different categories JD Powers has? The one quoted was just that, one single category. It has a specific title and a specific meaning. JD Powers defines it. But there are also other ones. With different meanings and different ratings. That is why you have to be very careful when looking at JD Powers information. You have to know the specific category and how it is defined. Their "new car initial quality" category has a very specific meaning, one different from other categories. Check out and see how JD Powers define their own category.
  • im_brentwoodim_brentwood Posts: 4,883
    Or, I'd say they should be up there in long-term durability...

In the family:

1997 XJ6 76K. $200 since warranty expired in repair costs.

1995 VDP 138K $610 since warranty expired in repair costs.

Bill
  • jagboyxkrjagboyxkr Posts: 53
    Yes Riez, I would hope that a category called "New Car Initial Quality" would mean something different from another category's title since that is how complex languages such as English work.
    V-E-R-Y G-O-O-D!

Really now, what is your point? I realize that there are different categories in the JD Powers scorings, etc. Jaguar just happens to have done extremely well in many of the important areas such as reliability, quality, and customer satisfaction (I've checked). You just cannot seem to accept that JD Powers rated Jaguar just below Lexus and in the number 2 spot. At least, that is what I am getting from your constant messages on the subject.

So what are you trying to say?
    jagboyxkr... Only point I'm making is that J.D. Power is a for-profit company that works hard to keep on good side of all manufacturers. J.D. Power is out to maximize their profits. One way they do it is to have a zillion different award categories. You should see all that they have. They are all separate and discreet.

Is possible for almost every car company to say they do well in one or more of J.D. Power's many, many categories. But there is not necessarily any relationship or correlation between one category and another. So companies A-B-C might do well in initial quality but fall down for intermediate or long-term quality. They even have categories on how people perceive cars before buying. So a company can say their product led in new car desireability, as if that is any meaningful information.

For example, latest issue of Roundel has an article on BMW's web page. Author writes: "No doubt BMW deserved the top ranking in the J.D. Power and Associates 2001 Manufacturer Web Site Evaluation." Did you know J.D. Power ranked web sites? Why is J.D. Power ranking web sites? And wouldn't you love to know how J.D. Power comes up with this ranking of car companies' web sites?

They have so many categories that they are becoming meaningless. Brand devaluation. You'd have to have all their categories and see the data for all companies to get the real picture of their information on the quality, reliability, and durability for various marques. And all the companies seem to use one or more J.D. Power award ranking in their ads. But they all can't be winners, or can they?
  • Let's take a look at some of these JD Power studies, as the results might surprise a few people.

2001 JD Power study on long-term (5 year) dependability
    http://www.jdpa.com/presspass/pr/images/01102a.gif:

Jaguar - 3rd
    Lincoln - 4th
    Cadillac - 8th
    Mercedes - 10th

2001 JD Power study on customer satisfaction with dealer service
    http://www.jdpa.com/presspass/pr/images/0127a.gif:

Cadillac - 3rd
    Lincoln - 8th
    Jaguar - 12th
    Mercedes - 13th

2001 JD Power study regarding customer satisfaction with the sales experience
    http://www.jdpa.com/presspass/pr/images/0139a.gif:

Cadillac - 2nd
    Jaguar - 5th
    Lincoln - 6th
    Mercedes - 8th

Jaguar, Cadillac and even lowly Lincoln do better than MB. Lexus, on the other hand, is at the top of every list.

• scottc8scottc8 Posts: 617
    "lowly Lincoln"? Oops, sorry, there goes that Underdog Mentality again.:)
  • I't was just a bit of jest. I actually like Lincolns. The LS is already a fine car, and should improve for 2003 if the new S-Type is any indication.
  • My parents just purchased a '00 S-Type here in Naples, FL. The car is absolutely beautiful with only 14K miles. It looks like it has never been driven on the highway. Anyway, I'm curious about the engine/tranny make on this model. I have a Mazda MPV and I've seen references on that board saying we have the same engine as the Jag. I realize the S-Type is using a duratec, but is it really the same? Also, did the '00 use the jatco 5-speed tranny, or was that incorporated more recently? Thanks in advance and I hope you all don't mind if I lurk this board!

SC
  • akirbyakirby Posts: 7,665
    I assume you have a 3.0L model - the 4.0L model uses a Jaguar AJV8. The 3.0L is indeed a Ford Duratech block and while I don't know the details of the Mazda engine if it's a 3.0L Ford duratech then yes - they have the same basic block. However - Jaguar has their own intake and heads which boost the power to 240 as opposed to 200/210 in the Taurus/Sable and 220 in the Lincoln LS. The blocks are the same but everything else is different. Same for the LS V8 - it's the same Jag AJV8 block but different intake, heads, etc. The X-type also uses 2.5L and 3.0L duratech blocks but again everything else is different. So, same block but definitely NOT the same engine.

As far as the tranny - it uses the Ford 5R55N same as the LS, Tbird and Explorer/Mountaineer. I think the 2003 switches to a ZF automatic. The S-type and Lincoln LS (and T-bird) all are built on the same DEW98 platform and share the basic chassis, suspension, engine blocks and transmissions and tires. You may find more relevant info on your S-type in the Lincoln LS forum or at llsoc.com (Lincoln LS owners club) which caters to all DEW98 based models.
  • fd1000fd1000 Posts: 47
    I'm so excited!

I just purchased a Pacific Blue 2002 S-Type Sport V8!!! With nav and voice. Got an incredible deal, since 2003's are right around the corner.

I'm having the Monaco wheels put on the car, should be just like the picture! (hehehe)

I pick it up Monday!

Saw it in clean up today, wow, what a color!

Does anybody else have the Jag Monaco wheels?

How do you like them?

And, does anyone know if you can control any of the navigation with the voice recognition option?

I will post some pics when it's parked safely in my garage!!!
    Congrats! :)

Pretty color too!
  • My 2002 S Type had a wheel shimmy from day one.The dealer eagerly balanced all wheels three times with some improvement but it was not 100%. The dealer admitted they did not know how to fix it. They drove my car and admitted it was not perfect over 60 MPH. They called "the factory" and the answer was "it's normal. I called and got the same answer and a factory rep would come and drive my car "next month" Not being satisfied, I met with the dealer management and insisted on some resolution. Within days FIVE new michelins were on my car and the problem is solved.
    Now comes the surprise. Shortly after the dealer agreed to put on new tires I hear from a Bridgestone dealer I had consulted. Bridgestone Tech. people admitted that the Turanza EL 42 tires, original equipment on the 2002 S Type 3.0, are "not compatable" with that car and they would replace them under warranty with any other Bridgestone tire.
    I told my dealer this and he called the same Tech. office and got the same answer. I do believe the dealer did not know this, however, I am not convinced that the factory did'nt know it.
    Bridgestone claimed it is not a recall or a safety problem but "if there is a concern" they would relpace them.
    This could be the answer to some of you guys "shimmy" problem. My tires were replaced at 3500 miles and I must say the dealer tried his best to please me.
    I have had two other problems that the dealer took care of immediatly. The control Module for the anti-lock brakes went bad and the drivers window motor squealed and that was replaced.
    I recently turned in a 2000 Lincoln LS with 40000 miles and very few problens. If my S Type was'nt 40% Ford I would not have gone near it.
    I hope you guys with the wheel shimmy look into the tire solution, a $49000 car should drive as smooth as silk.
    When these cars came out we were wondering about the tires.. I mean, they were the first Jags sold in America in like 20 years without Pirellis...

Bill
  • beachnutbeachnut Posts: 291
    My dad's new S-type got a brand new set of Michelin Pilot's for the same reasons. Fortunately, he didn't have to go through the hassle you did.