Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jaguar S-Type

Comments

• bnamethbnameth Member Posts: 1
    2003 "S" w/41,000 miles getting clunking noise when backing up and turning the wheel. sound is like a cv joint going out except i have rear drive. Had struts & bearings replaced couple months back. Thanks, Ben
  • franklyspeakinfranklyspeakin Member Posts: 3
    My newly purchased 2005 Jaguar S makes a fan type noise when accelerating. I've taken it into the dealer and was told the noise is normal. Anybody else have this noise? Is it normal?
  • kyberkyber Member Posts: 1
    I also own a 2005 Jaguar S and I have noticed that upon acceleration there is a similar noise. I do not know if it is normal, but at least two of us have noticed this noise.
  • 00jlm00jlm Member Posts: 1
    yes I got your e-mail off a jag site I have a problem with my jag it’s a 2002 s-type and I just changed the tires on it and when I went to get in and drive away it goes in to gear and even peels out in drive and reverse but will not actualy move it feels like it wants to to you have any info for me thanks
    thank you for your reply. i also notice i had poor gas mileage (between 13 and 15 mpg) how is yours? thanks again.
  • haroldsharolds Member Posts: 1
    Just had an accident on Saturday. Started to pull out of a stadium parking lot. Surge hit, slammed on the brake, shot across the lot, hit an SUV broadside at about 10 mph. No injuries, no air bags, much damage to the SUV, almost none to Jag. Scared stiff. If at a red light on a busy road, would have been killed! Dealer could find nothing wrong with electronics. Add me to the list of ex-Jag owners.

Harolds
  • runyonndrunyonnd Member Posts: 2
    Howdy All:
    (2000 S-Type 3.0) The drivers side electric seat backrest will not move towards the back seat. If you continue to move it forward it will move that way, but then you can call it stuck. This was doing this before, only that it was the opposite scenario where the backrest laid all the way back to the rear seat and wouldn't move back up forward. I took it to the dealer and they pulled the seat out and supposedly cleaned up some kind of limit switch and reinstalled the seat. This little visit came to $350. (They did wash the car though) They told me if it would happened again it would be $900.00 to fix. It lasted maybe a month and now it's acting up. Has anyone had this problem and have taken a look at fixing it yourself ? Is there a website that would show some detail on HOW TO - pull the seat and what to look for ? I'm definitely going to take a crack at it myself. What could I do wrong, break it ???
  • alorasdadalorasdad Member Posts: 4
    How do you change the bulb in the front left turn signal? It isn't in the manual...
  • nimbusnimbus Member Posts: 19
    For practically the same money I can buy either an 06' S-type or Caddy STS. From what I am reading here I am leaning toward the Caddy.

S-Type only had 9K miles on it while the STS has 17K, but is $2k less.

I thought consumer reports said S-Type got most the bumps hammered out with the 2005 remodel. Thought anyone? Advice?
    I assume buying a car plan from Carmax would be a good idea for either? Please let me know as I want to buy/not buy in the next few days.
  • wshflwshfl Member Posts: 24
    Given all the horror stories you read here, go with the STS
  • nimbusnimbus Member Posts: 19
    I keep thinking that, but I used to work for the public and know people tend towards writing only bad things. It seems like the exception to the rule that people write "Wow I love that (fill in the blank)." From what I keep reading though...and the fact that the Caddy Dealer is 10 min from my house and the Jag dealer an hour....I am leaning STS.
  • mlimasmlimas Member Posts: 2
    Hello All,

I am new to the site and was considering buying a 2002 S-Type w/70K miles....The vehicle has been pre-qualified w/a 3-year, 45K mile warranty, which I intend on purchasing. After reading all of the previous postings I am second guessing whether or not I should purchase the vehicle. I only need the car for a couple of years before I buy something else. Should I purchase the vehicle? If I intend on buying a Jag should I put a little more down and buy an '03 S-Type or newer? Obviously I'm sure many of you will recommend the newer S-Type but the dealer I am looking at, who is apparently the nation's leader in pre-owned Jag sales has a price difference from an '02 and '03 at about $4K. Any Suggestions. Thank you for your help in advance,

ML
  • soyelisabethsoyelisabeth Member Posts: 3
    I recently test drove a 2004 S-Type with 83,000 miles . It comes with a 4,500 mile warrenty. What power! My concern is the hesitation between the time I depress the pedal and there is accelertion. Such responsive steering! My concern is the whining noise I hear during sharp turning. Quick breaking! I wonder why my foot sinks ever-so-slowly to the floor? I REALLY DO love this sexy, elegant, stylish car whIch exudes curb appeal! 'any ideasas to what is wrong with the car by my descriptions? I'd like an idea as to what this European beauty will cost me should I decide to take it home. The dealer tells me there is nothing wrong with the car. (Who's surprised?) Thanks.
  • wshflwshfl Member Posts: 24
    I suspect you know the answer. Run. Don't walk. AWAY!
  • xjsguyxjsguy Member Posts: 8
    I had the brakes done on my XJS by a very reputable local shop and, after I got the car back, the brakes squealed.
    I took the car back and they checked everything and could find nothing.
    They sprayed the brakes with a compund which stopped the squear for a couple of day and, it came back.
    They replaced the pads with non-metallic ceramic pads and the squeal came back.
    They are contacting the mfgr(probably Raybestos) to ask about this.
    The brakes function properly other than making this noise.

The shop is one I've gone to for years and, they are honest and treat me and others decently.

When I depress the brake pedal softly, the squeal begins and is there for a second or so after I take my foot off of the pedal.
    If I press hard on the pedal, they do not squeal.

Has anyone experienced this in their XJS?
    If so, can you tell me what either corrected it or what you think?
    thank you.
  • neotabneotab Member Posts: 1
    Shortly after buying my 2004 Jag S-type with 40,000 mi. about 8 months ago, I realized that three things don't work. No back-up warning system (beepers), the side mirrors do not rotate flat against the car for tight parking situations, and after about 10 minutes of driving (usually at low speeds, 30-40 mph) the amber warning light comes on, saying that cruise control is unavailable (even though I don't try to use it, and never have). Mechanic says it's not fuses and says a Jag dealer must replace a computer. Everything else is great. Any ideas before I take it to a dealer?
  • dryden57dryden57 Member Posts: 8
    I was wanting to know if anyone knows the location of cylinder #3, I know the firing order is 1-4-2-5-3-6
  • Mesmerizing_kMesmerizing_k Member Posts: 2
    I have no sound coming from the radio, CD or Nav System yet they are all on - The radio was working fine then nothing - I cannot seem to get the sound back even after depressing the mute button on the steering wheel. I also need the plastic trim piece above the front side glass on the passenger door any locations other than the dealer?
  • xjsguyxjsguy Member Posts: 8
    My 93 XJS will do that at times.
    It has to do with a connection problem.
    I don't know the diagrams for your Jag butt, I have found that, if the panel under the steering column is not clipped on, this will happen.
  • stevenb226stevenb226 Member Posts: 3
    Well after reading many of the postings, I may be asking a question I know the answer to...I've been looking for a stylish sedan to replace my 740 BMW with 180K, while the BMW has been far from perfect, it's been a great ride, now too big, while my logical side says get a Lexus, this like new 2000 S looks sexy...but hey I'm looking for fewer repair bills not more...thoughts.

Steve
    Steve, I've had my 2000 S since 2005. It had 49000 on it when I bought it, has 110000 now. I've had to replace the condenser coil, $4k, had some leaks to deal with and now I'm getting a "Transmission Issue" on the message lights. With a sealed trannie, I can't even get it serviced - my only option would be replacement. My 1999 Forester with 210,000 miles has had fewer maintenance issues. Given the option, while the Jag was a dream car for me, I'd drive something else.
  • soyelisabethsoyelisabeth Member Posts: 3
    I considered a 2001 S-Type in October with 60,000 miles. After having it looked at and discovering it needed $1,700 worth of repairs, immediately, I'd decided to do what you are now doing, before making a final decision. needless to say, I did not buy my dream car. If this would not be your primary vehicle and you have unlimited income, in these trying times.......... then go after your sexy car.
  • ron6962ron6962 Member Posts: 5
    I agree with previous reply. I bought a 2002 SType new. While still under warranty, I had several leak issues from the rear differential. They finally replaced the entire rear end to resolve the problem. Then, the year after my warranty expired, at 75000 miles, I had to replace all 8 of the injector ignition coils at a cost of $2000, and a couple months later the transmission went out which cost another $5000. I now have 97000 miles on it and so far, so good. A piece of advice I wish I had followed.....buy an extended repair policy if you can get one. The car is the nicest looking and riding car I have ever owned (still looks and drives like new) but the repair costs are a killer.
  • oldcemoldcem Member Posts: 309
    Sound advice. I've owned 3 Jaguars now - 2 X-Types, and, now, an 06 S-Type. These are not cars you want to own unless you have an extended warranty on them. I bought my S from a dealer as a "certified" car with the 6 year - 100K factory warranty..

Regards:
    OldCEM
  • cloemcloem Member Posts: 3
    Hello
    I have the Jaguar S-Type 2001 that comes with CD and burrow ribbon.
    I asked representative of the Jaguar of I can change the CD and
    burrow ribbons of the panel for a DVD with GPS navigation.
    The representative of the jaguar told me that can make that
    and that compatible DVD is ALPINE IVA W5005 with GPS.
    I still didn't decide on isso,porque have doubts if she won't bring
    problems for my Jaguar.
    Did anybody already make that change in the panel of S-Type?
  • 22swanka22swanka Member Posts: 1
    never had one and need info. this car was a fleet car. low mileage, 15 k, absolutely beautiful but never owned an import. Is maintainence such as oil change expensive compared to american made? Any pros and or cons from current past jag owners appreciated.
    All parts are more expensive, but a tip. Most can be replaced by Lincoln parts as Jag was owned by Ford but if it is a 2005 that may no longer be the case. I have gotten 4 good years out of mine so far but the tranny started going bad. Don't believe their "sealed tranny" stories, there is a fluid check knob hidden in back and if you don't check it and it gets low it will hurt the tranny (as it did mine).
  • aidemoiaidemoi Member Posts: 2
    I had a front and rear clunk sound. I replaced the rear suspension damper and the front sway bar frame mount bushings. The car is rock solid now!
  • davidngadavidnga Member Posts: 2
    This is probably too little too late but I experienced the same thing with my 2001 S-Type. Had pads replaced and rotors turned but within 2 days the squeal was back. Took it back to my mechanic, he made a call to Jaguar and the reason was the "high speed rotors" were most likely warped. Turns out rotors were supposed to be replaced, not turned(whatever that means) anyway, replaced with "normal" rotors for much less money and problem solved. No noise ever again..except the crunch when I was rear ended by a 1993 Full Size Ford Explorer.. of course the driver had no insurance. thats how I learned all about the computer modules located in the floor of the trunk..and totaled my Jag.
  • davidngadavidnga Member Posts: 2
    Currently in talks with dealer for a Jaguar Certified Select 2005 S-Type R to replace my totaled 2001 S-Type. I've read all the post about transmission problems but I had my S-Type for 4 years and only problem I had was a coil in the #6 injector($500.00) and had work done on the AC..that was all...Prior to the Jag, I had a Taurus SHO and probably put $11,000.00 in the engine in a 5 year period. I'm going with the Jaguar.
  • kenbergkenberg Member Posts: 2
    Hi: I'm considering first Jaguar purchase ... thinking S type. Have seen comments and wonder where in the series the new 'norwegian' transmission came in. Is there a code on the cars to show which trans they have?

What other things, aside from long, strong warranty should I look for?

Ken
    Ken, I purchased a used 2001 in 2005 with 49k miles. Still have it, tranny going out, with close to 110k. The Ford tranny, which mine has, goes about 100, based on what the dealers said. Other than the hvac going out, which I now question, based on the mechanic involved, no real maintenance issues. The car is great to drive and good for the ego, if you like comments about your car :>. Good shopping to you.
    Ken:

Easy way to tell what trannys in the car - the ZF is a 6 speed, the Ford box is 5. I picked up a CPO 2006 S-Type VDP model earlier this year from the local Jag Dealer. I suggest you look for a CPO car with the 300 HP 4.2 V8 in it. Fuel economy is virtually the same as the 3.0. This S-Type is my third Jag, I owned 2 X Types before it.

Happy Shopping
    OldCEM
  • rmbaker47rmbaker47 Member Posts: 8
    I made the very unfortunate choice to purchase 2 Jaguars in a row for my wife who drives about 6,500 miles per year - so very light duty. Both Jaguars, first a Soverign and the 2nd a S-Type were the worst cars I have ever owned mechanically and cost of ownership wise!!! I restore GM 60's clasic muscle cars for a hobby and service all my vehicles very, very well. Both motors failed due to cooling problems (1st faulty head gasket in the inline 6 and complete motor meltdown in the S when the plastic - milk carton like burp tank sprung a leak and overheated the aluminum block = quoted $18,000 to repair by Jaguar) both at less than 50,000 miles and Jaguar would only refer me to their local dealers who have the highest repair rates I have ever been subjeted to = $80/gal of replacement antifreeze!! Do not buy any of this Jag crap unless you love to throw your money away. Do not count on any Jag warrenty saving you, they have more ways of weasiling out of what should be normal warenty responsibility than any auto manufacturer I have been a customer of having owned over 100 GM, Ford, Chrysler, Mercedies autos during my driving life.

I strongly recommend you look to BMW, Mercedies, Porche, Lexus, etc. before ever wasting your money and your customer patience on Jag junk!!!! Proceed with Jaguar at your own risk - you have been fairly informed.

Some numbers, Jag/Ford sold 80K S-Types with the Linclon 4.0 V8 motor in the early 2000s at an average price of $60,000. The motors all melted down due to the worst cooling system design I have ever seen in any auto, let alone a "luxury" car!! 80,000 x $60,000 is a very big number and an unconscionable fraud of US consumers! I read story after story of people who paid $60,000 new or $40/30,000 used and by 50K or 60K miles their Jag was only worth scrap. I sold ours at an wrecked car insurance auction for $6,500 and was tickled pink to get any money back at all.

Good luck?
  • rossco2rossco2 Member Posts: 1
    I have 2006 Jaguar S type that has a "PARKING BRAKE FAULT" light on the console. Anyway for some reason I can get the the parking brake off and the car will not move. I tried to release it manually but that was unsuccessful. Can someone out there please give me a suggestion on what to do. I was thinking about disconnecting the battery then re-connecting it to see if that might re-set something.
  • aidemoiaidemoi Member Posts: 2
    I just want to put the word out to people that have an 8 cylinder Jaguar motor. The motor was designed with plastic secondary tensioners. Prevent huge engine repair costs by having these replaced with the new metal tensioners. My secondary tensioner recently exploded causing my timing chain to snap. If I would have known sooner I could of had them replaced at a fraction of the cost. I love my Jaguar and preventative maintence is so important!
  • penny1962penny1962 Member Posts: 2
    I'm looking at used 2000-2005 used jags, but would like advice from owners. What bothers me is most of these cars have no service book and I think that's very important to know if routine maintenance was kept up.

I won't be in a position to purchase until about a year from now and have plenty of time to do research. I've read a few pages here and keep coming across vibration concerns and cost of a specific motor oil that is expensive. Seems there are owners who love the cars and have had little to no issues, then others that swear the cars are a nightmare to maintain.

Before buying *any* used car I always have it inspected, and the cars I have found are supposedly "certified", but again...few to no maintenance books.

Can a Ford dealer do an inspection or would I need to take it to a Jaguar dealer/mechanic..?

I have lots of questiond but will start with this for now.

Thanks in advance,
    Penny
    Penny, I have a 2002 S-Type, 8 cylinder. I bought it new and during the 4 "free" maintenence years, I had it in the shop about 6 times, 4 for the same problem...a leaky rear-end. They finally replaced the entire rear-end unit, and I have not had further problems. Immediately after expiration of the 4 year warranty, I had to have a window motor replaced ($400) , and then about a year later, had to have all 8 ignition coils replaced ($1200), although only one was failing. Then about 6 months later, the transmission went out and had to be replaced at a cost of $5000. I've not had any further serious problems (knock on wood) for the past couple of years. It now has 106,000 miles on it, and rides/drives just like it did when it was new. I think the quality of the drive train should have been better with a $50,000 price tag, but overall, it is the nicest car I have owned. Am I going to buy another one? Probably not. I'm not comfortable with the future of Jaguar since Ford sold out it to Tata.

My advice on shopping for a used one.....search for one with low mileage. They are around, because many of the owners trade or lease every couple of years. I would definitely have it checked out by a trusted mechanic. If you don't have one, then I would take it to a Jaguar dealer, not Ford. The mechanics at a Jaguar dealer are much more likely to be trained for them properly.

On the oil question....during the first 4 years, they used synthetic oil and changed it every 12 months or 10,000 miles. Then I was told synthetic oil is of no advantage except in very high performance engines....Ferrari, etc.. So for the past 3-4 years I have used regular oil and change it every 3 months or 3000 miles. (About $80 at a Jaguar dealer, and about $30 anyplace else.)

In my opinion, there are two things needed to make a "good" car last longest....keep it clean and waxed, and keep the oil changed regularly.

Hope this helps. Ron

P.S.....if you want a good deal on a 2002 S-Type 4.0 with a new transmission and 106,000 miles, I have one!! (-:
  • gr8catgr8cat Member Posts: 21
    We really need help - our cat has only one eye - the Bi Xenon Headlights have winked out on the passenger side. Out, then on then out for good. The Jag dealer assessed the lights, sold us the wrong bulb and our mechanic sent us back to the dealer again who now says that we have to pay about $400. for that bulb plus labour at about $l20.00 per hour in order to get that light working. I don't think brain surgeons make that kind of money or even pay that kind of money for their operating room lights. Someone says that BMW's are even more. Somethings wrong with this picture so we're really hoping that someone out there can help us with some correct information as to how to approach this problem and get our cat seeing straight again. Thanks.
    I'm on my third Jaguar. Previously owned an 03 X-Type and an 06 X-Type. The first of the year I traded my 06 X for a certified 06 S-Type VDP that my local Jag dealer acquired. First of all - Jag's certified cars give you a 6 year - 100K warranty from original in-service date, and, offers excellent protection. The X-Types are all-wheel -drive, and, the drivetrain can be annoying noisy, and, some have had vibration issues - requiring propshaft replacements, etc. to cure the problem. The S-Types are much quieter, and, more luxurious than the X, but, you give up the excellent foul weather capabilities that the all-wheel- drive gives you. However, the S-Type, with its 6 speed automatic, gets better fuel economy than the X does. On the question of motor oil - there is no special motor oil required - both models use regular 5W-30 oil. You can use synthetic if you want, but its more expensive. My advice to you: Decide which model Jag you want. Get the latest model with the lowest mileage you can afford, and, get a Certified one from a Jag dealer. This means they've inspected the car, corrected any deficiencies, and warrant the vehicle as noted above. Before I bought my CPO S-Type, I was allowed an overnight test drive, and, I did my own inspection as well. I found a couple of problems that they missed, and, made them correct them before I purchased the car. In addition, Jag will only certify cars that have had all the required maintenance done, have a clean carfax, and, have some of the original factory warranty still in effect (Must have under 50K miles). The dealer is required to give you a copy of the Carfax report on the vehicle before purchase as well. Buying a certified one from a non-Jag dealer is a crap-shoot - a lot of these non-factory backed certification programs are a joke. In addition, at the time I bought mine, Jaguar was offering very attractive finance rates on the CPO cars as well. I believe they're still available.
    I suggest you research your problem on a couple of the regular Jaguar forums. Usually the folks that post on these can offer excellent guidance on how to deal with a problem such as yours.

Regards:
    OldCEM
  • kenbergkenberg Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for tips. Like most, I see the S type as exactly what I've always wanted since first driving the old 3.8s. Problem is, the costly parts under the paint are not something I want to have to worry about. As a parking lot fender smasher in the 1950s I often took customer cars to the Jag shop for them. They loved their cars but were vexed by constant need for attention. Seems that not much has changed.
    Ken
  • travemedtravemed Member Posts: 2
    I got 2000 S type V6 29.5 K miles, very low, I have warning light " Left tail lamp out"
    I check Fuses in fron and back and nothing.
    Any clue??
    Thanks
    This usually means you have a bulb that is burned out....not a fuse. Check the bulbs in the left rear light enclosure. It is easy to do yourself. I have replaced two (left and right) in my 2002 S-Type.
  • travemedtravemed Member Posts: 2
    I replaced all the bulbs and nothing that why I check the fuses.
    RK
  • gr8catgr8cat Member Posts: 21
    OldCEM: Regular Jaguar forums? Aaaaah, if only I knew how to find them. I'm so new to all this stuff - I have a passionate hate for computers because they never seem to give up the information I need when I need it, probably because I don't ask the questions properly or some other lame reason.
    Whatever, we don't get along, never did, but I refuse to give up and so now I have to try to find those Regular Jaguar Forums you so kindly mentioned. Can you please point me to them so I can search out the information I need.
    Apparently the initial problem with the lights was a ballast and the replacement (wow expensive) failed within two days so we really have to search out this problem. Jaguar Doctor is too busy dismantling the front end to get at headlights again to research so I have to struggle with the computer. I think I have the best job though, frustrating though it may be, at least my office is air-conditioned.
    Point me to the other forums, please and I'll stop bothering you guys. Thanks muchly.
    Try www.jaguarforums.com/forums/ - Its the best of the bunch, and, been the most help .

Regards:
    OldCEM
  • marchgirlmarchgirl Member Posts: 5
    Looking for recommendation for the right snow tires for my Jag S-type.
    Live in New England. When I bought the car, I thought, I'll just stay in when it snows, but find I want the confidence to be out when I have to rather than the weather always predicating my days. I only have 9,000 miles on my 08' and would get killed on the trade-in for an X-Type, which I should have bought in the first place. I know someone who owns one and he said his is like a tank in the snow...Other than that, love the car, although I have to sit on a special pad to support my lower spine to stave off a pain in my right leg. Why don't they have Chiropractors design the seats??
  • marchgirlmarchgirl Member Posts: 5
    Sorry for the mispelling..couldn't change. thanks for all replies...NC